Texas law professor calls for repeal ...

Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second Amendment

There are 12127 comments on the BizPacReview.com story from Nov 17, 2013, titled Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second Amendment. In it, BizPacReview.com reports that:

A professor at the Texas A&M University School of Law claims that the Second Amendment should be shelved and replaced with something else.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BizPacReview.com.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#10209 Jun 17, 2014
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
It works in every nation that's implemented consistent national law..
It does, does it?
Then you'll get right on the following I assume.
Explain why there is great gun violence in ;
Sudan
Iraq
Iran
Afghanistan
Somalia
Columbia
Mexico

ALL those countries have "consistent national laws" banning private gun ownership.
How can that be if your claim is valid?

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#10210 Jun 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again. Advocating the innocent also be forced to take the medicine meant and supposedly designed for the guilty.
The right to keep and bear is a right and not a "privilege" as you suggest.
You may one day learn to tell the difference.
There you go again - attributing things to me that I've never advocated. Nothing I have proposed would in any way restrict your rights or prevent you from defending yourself.

Our right to keep and bear arms is no different than any of our other rights - it is not unlimited. Hopefully one day you'll be able to understand that concept.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#10211 Jun 17, 2014
Yep2 wrote:
Might count with gun grabbing cranks - but no one else.
Obama's motorcade almost ran into a shoot 'em up - they cooked up a bogus "school shooting" to cover it up.
I have no problem letting readers decide for themselves - without calling anyone a "MF CS C*".
I wasn't raised in a pig pen like a barefoot redneck.
Oh? The pigs probably rejected you they got better sense than that :-)

Chambersburg, PA

#10212 Jun 17, 2014
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>You can deny the facts 'til you're blue in the face, Danny Boy, and the facts will still remain intact regardless of your denial. You lie, twist words, massage meanings, and generally try to discredit and attack anything you don't like or disagree with. In the end the fact remains that your liberal policies and your liberal judges are the sole reason we have so many dangerous and deranged individuals free to commit violent crimes. No one said a single word about "mindlessly throwing people in jail" There's nothing "mindless" about keeping an individual locked up if they have just committed another crime every time they've been released. That would be called "prudent".
Don't even try to be honest Danny Boy, you've already demonstrated that you are incapable of it.
It is impossible to have a discussion with you when you refuse to be honest about what you've said and continue to distort my position.

It is impossible to have a discussion with you when you refuse to acknowledge the facts of reality and instead label your own preferences and theories as facts.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#10213 Jun 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
It does, does it?
Sudan
Iraq
Iran
Afghanistan
Somalia
Columbia
Mexico
ALL those countries have "consistent national laws" banning private gun ownership.
My I suggest you acquire a functional brain and then we talk ye moron ...

Chambersburg, PA

#10214 Jun 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
It does, does it?
Sudan
Iraq
Iran
Afghanistan
Somalia
Columbia
Mexico
Seriously? You aren't even trying, are you?

How about finding nations that are similar to the US to make comparisons to? How about other industrialized, first-world nations?

How about trying to be serious instead of immediately resorting to absurdity in order to dodge the issue?

Location hidden

#10216 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
How about finding nations that are similar to the US to make comparisons to? How about other industrialized, first-world nations?
How about trying to be serious instead of immediately resorting to absurdity in order to dodge the issue?
Interesting.
You make a universal and unqualified claim, and when nailed on it, you bail, and want to change your own beginning premise and move the goal posts which YOU youtself set.

It is human nature on the discussion table ya idiot. People are the same everywhere in their innate behaviors. Where they live makes no difference.

Your claim of "consistent national laws" being the answer to gun violence has been defeated.
<smile>

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#10217 Jun 17, 2014
Whatever happens on Obama's watch is HIS fault

Location hidden

#10218 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
BTW Danny Boy, there are NO nations "similar" to the USA. Our Constitution is a rather unique writ of freedom which NO other possess.
If you wish to compare industry facts and figures with other "similar industrialized, first-world nations" then by all means, have at it. The apples will be apples in that case.
To attempt comparison when it comes to the 2nd amendment and all it entails, is childishly ridiculous Danny. There is NO other with which to compare.
We came to have this 2nd amendment protection of our natural born right to keep and bear because our founders wished to distinguish and separate from the rest of the world where tyranny and oppression are the norm.
Now >you< wish to undo that and make the USA like the rest of the cesspool governments of the world.
Not on my watch sir.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#10219 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
It is impossible to have a discussion with you when you refuse to be honest about what you've said and continue to distort my position.
It is impossible to have a discussion with you when you refuse to acknowledge the facts of reality and instead label your own preferences and theories as facts.
Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.
No, it is impossible to have a discussion with you when you constantly deny reality and the consequences of the policies that you advocate.

At least you've picked up on the little bit of Latin I taught you. The phrase fits you so well.

Chambersburg, PA

#10220 Jun 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting.
You make a universal and unqualified claim, and when nailed on it, you bail, and want to change your own beginning premise and move the goal posts which YOU youtself set.
It is human nature on the discussion table ya idiot. People are the same everywhere in their innate behaviors. Where they live makes no difference.
Your claim of "consistent national laws" being the answer to gun violence has been defeated.
<smile>
It's cute how proud of yourself you are. LOL! Too bad you can't get an honest victory, huh?

So you genuinely believe that list of nations is so similar to the US that the only possible reason that they might have higher levels of gun violence than we do is because of a consistent national law? Please try to be reasonable.

And I never said "ban private ownership." You dishonestly added that part. I wonder why?
I've listed my proposals and none of them is banning private ownership. In fact - as I have repeatedly pointed out to you - none of them would prevent you from owning guns or defending yourself. Please try to be honest.

Obviously you want to avoid honest debate. I wonder why that would be? Maybe because you know you can't when when we keep it honest and fact-based.

Chambersburg, PA

#10221 Jun 17, 2014
scirocco wrote:
Whatever happens on Obama's watch is HIS fault
Even more than that - anything bad that happens anywhere in the world while Obama is President is his fault.

Or even more accurately - anything that rightwingers don't like that happens anywhere in the world while Obama is President is his fault.

These beliefs are symptomatic of a disease called Obama Derangement Syndrome.

LOL!

Location hidden

#10222 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
There you go again - attributing things to me that I've never advocated. Nothing I have proposed would in any way restrict your rights or prevent you from defending yourself.
Our right to keep and bear arms is no different than any of our other rights - it is not unlimited. Hopefully one day you'll be able to understand that concept.
I charge you with accurate claim Danny Boy.
You have clearly stated many times that you wish ALL citizens to comply with restrictions that you say are aimed at only stopping the ones who are committing crimes when using a gun.
You say it is "reasonable". Millions disagree with your assessment sir.
When you demand that the citizens who are NOT the ones committing the gun crimes, be also required to "prove" their innocence (which in and of itself is unconstitutional) by complying with laws aimed at the criminal element, your aim is off target from the setup and has NO chance in hell of accomplishing what you claim is your goal ... reduced gun violence.
You piss off the silent sleeping giant (the true Americans) badly enough by demanding they jump through hoops to retain what they were born with intact, and you will lose to it's wrath.
Time is on the side of those who know their unalienable rights are sovereign and personal possessions from birth which NO man or written edict bestowed upon them.
You are on the losing side Danny. History will once again show your way of controlling others is a narcissistic pipe dream. The freedom loving people will once again rise to the challenge and defeat your philosophy sir.
Yep2

Roy, WA

#10223 Jun 17, 2014
So far I've found about 50 BOGUS "school shootings" on the Everytown list.

All the ones listed for my state are BOGUS.

Chambersburg, PA

#10224 Jun 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW Danny Boy, there are NO nations "similar" to the USA. Our Constitution is a rather unique writ of freedom which NO other possess.
If you wish to compare industry facts and figures with other "similar industrialized, first-world nations" then by all means, have at it. The apples will be apples in that case.
To attempt comparison when it comes to the 2nd amendment and all it entails, is childishly ridiculous Danny. There is NO other with which to compare.
We came to have this 2nd amendment protection of our natural born right to keep and bear because our founders wished to distinguish and separate from the rest of the world where tyranny and oppression are the norm.
No serious person denies that the US is very similar to the rest of the industrialized world in every relevant way. Economists, political scientists, and social scientists compare the US to Europe all the time.

But for some reason you don't want to do that. It's almost like you know that such comparisons make you look bad and undermine all your arguments.

BTW - I described the evidence I've used to reach my conclusions. And I challenged you to do the same. Yet you continue to avoid doing that. I wonder why? Hmmm... LOL!
Aquarius-WY wrote:
Now >you< wish to undo that and make the USA like the rest of the cesspool governments of the world.
Not on my watch sir.
Again, you are being dishonest about what I've said. You are ascribing beliefs and opinions to me that I have specifically rejected.

Why do you stubbornly refuse to debate what I've actually said? Why do you insist on debating false positions you've ascribed to me instead?

Hmmm... It's almost like you KNOW you'll lose if we stick to the truth and the facts. Like your declaring victory is only possible when you've set up a strawman to argue with.

LOL!

Location hidden

#10225 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
So you genuinely believe that list of nations is so similar to the US that the only possible reason that they might have higher levels of gun violence than we do is because of a consistent national law? Please try to be reasonable.
I said the exact opposite strawman.

I said THERE ARE NO "SIMILAR" OTHERS WITH WHICH TO COMPARE.

I said THE USA IS UNIQUE WITH HER CONSTITUTION.

"Unique" means ONLY ONE.

Chambersburg, PA

#10226 Jun 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I charge you with accurate claim Danny Boy.
You have clearly stated many times that you wish ALL citizens to comply with restrictions that you say are aimed at only stopping the ones who are committing crimes when using a gun.
You say it is "reasonable". Millions disagree with your assessment sir.
When you demand that the citizens who are NOT the ones committing the gun crimes, be also required to "prove" their innocence (which in and of itself is unconstitutional) by complying with laws aimed at the criminal element, your aim is off target from the setup and has NO chance in hell of accomplishing what you claim is your goal ... reduced gun violence.
You piss off the silent sleeping giant (the true Americans) badly enough by demanding they jump through hoops to retain what they were born with intact, and you will lose to it's wrath.
Time is on the side of those who know their unalienable rights are sovereign and personal possessions from birth which NO man or written edict bestowed upon them.
You are on the losing side Danny. History will once again show your way of controlling others is a narcissistic pipe dream. The freedom loving people will once again rise to the challenge and defeat your philosophy sir.
Oh brother!

Were you playing "God Bless America" in the background when you wrote that drivel?

Every modern, industrialized, western nation (except the US) has implemented reasonable and effective gun regulation that has cut their gun violence rates to a FRACTION of ours. The US has far and away the most gun violence of any stable, industrialized, wealthy nation.

It is only a matter of time until we also reject your irrational, paranoid gun nut fearmongering and go the same way. Moving toward progress and increased civilization has always been this nation's pattern.

THAT is the direction history is headed in, friend. And you are the one on the wrong side, not me.

Location hidden

#10227 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
No serious person denies that the US is very similar to the rest of the industrialized world in every relevant way.!
EXCEPT our Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and our other governmental restrictions.

Apples and oranges.

Chambersburg, PA

#10228 Jun 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I said the exact opposite strawman.
I said THERE ARE NO "SIMILAR" OTHERS WITH WHICH TO COMPARE.
I said THE USA IS UNIQUE WITH HER CONSTITUTION.
"Unique" means ONLY ONE.
And I said you are quite simply wrong and I explained why.

That's not a strawman. That's furthering the debate.

And obviously you have no response.

Looks like you declared victory a little prematurely, son. LOL!

Location hidden

#10229 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
. Economists, political scientists, and social scientists compare the US to Europe all the time.
!
So?
Big deal.
Proves absolutely nothing.

I can write a comparison of a rock to a Corvette too, and that too would prove nothing of worth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News With Obama leaving, Congressional Republicans l... 20 hr Bow Down 1
News Officials have duty to Nevadans to make backgro... Jan 16 duzitreallymatter 2
News CCW Weekend: The Enduring Concealed Carry Revolver Jan 15 jimwildrickjr 1
News Washington attorney general proposes assault we... Jan 13 justice 2
News Extend background checks to save lives Jan 9 duzitreallymatter 3
Our own worst enemy Jan 7 justice 3
News GOP Rep Introduces National Concealed Carry Rec... Jan 7 jimwildrickjr 9
More from around the web