The Record: Smart gun control

Sep 15, 2012 Full story: NorthJersey.com 19

NEW JERSEY has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, but even they cannot prevent an unstable man from opening fire and killing people.

Full Story

Since: Nov 11

Salt Lake City, UT

#1 Sep 15, 2012
"Even New Jersey's comparatively tough gun laws, which prohibit the sale and possession of high-capacity semiautomatic weapons, are not strong enough."

Thanks for remindng us that laws don't matter to people who will/have/are breaking laws.

Stronger laws would do what - other than giving a few people a warm fuzzy feeling?

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#2 Sep 15, 2012
Guns are the least cause of death.

2.4 million Americans die each year (6,400/day). Most die from sickness and disease, and then accidents, and then homicide.
Skizots

Old Bridge, NJ

#3 Sep 16, 2012
I just saw on the news last night that the Pathmark killer bought his (similar) AK-47 legally in California before moving to Old Bridge, NJ.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Location hidden

#4 Sep 16, 2012
Skizots wrote:
I just saw on the news last night that the Pathmark killer bought his (similar) AK-47 legally in California before moving to Old Bridge, NJ.
Ask him why he shot his victims.
OB Reader

Matawan, NJ

#5 Sep 16, 2012
Tory II wrote:
<quoted text>Ask him why he shot his victims.
Gee. Funny.

Why don't you?
Skizots

Old Bridge, NJ

#6 Sep 18, 2012
I can't ask him, "Tory II" - he's dead! My point is that we can have all of these gun laws in certain states; yet look how easy it is for someone to legally purchase a weapon in other states, and easily bring it to another. The killer obviously had psychological problems that people in his life chose to ignore. Now 2 innocent young adults' lives were so unfairly taken away from them.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Location hidden

#7 Sep 18, 2012
Why do you say his revenge killing was psychological rather than justifiable revenge ?

If he's dead how can you prove he was nuts ?
Skizots

Old Bridge, NJ

#8 Sep 19, 2012
Anyone who had depression while serving their first 2 years in the military, gets an early discharge after that, and according to family members he didn't appear to be ok, and then does this - was NUTS! Justifiable revenge??? I don't have to prove anything! I think YOU'RE NUTS!

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Location hidden

#9 Sep 22, 2012
Skizots wrote:
Anyone who had depression while serving their first 2 years in the military, gets an early discharge after that, and according to family members he didn't appear to be ok, and then does this - was NUTS! Justifiable revenge??? I don't have to prove anything! I think YOU'RE NUTS!
You think only govt has a right to seek revenge - you're nuts - govt is always our worst enemy.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Location hidden

#10 Sep 22, 2012
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/31/co-wor...

This type of person learns to solve his problems with violence from his upbringing, and is not clinically nuts.
Skizots

Old Bridge, NJ

#11 Sep 23, 2012
Thanks for posting the news article, "Tory II", but respectfully, I again disagree with you. That same information has been indicated in several other news stories, including the tv news. Based on this information, there doesn't seem to be any mentioning of Tyler's (allegedly disfunctional) upbringing. Many minors lose their parents; and as emotionally difficult it is to grieve and try to move on with your life after losing a parent, I can't see how it triggers someone to twitter such thoughts of violence (on Twitter, WHILE HE WAS STILL SERVING IN THE MILITARY!!! Big "red flag" there!), and then carry them out on innocent people. A person like that just isn't normal.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Location hidden

#12 Sep 24, 2012
Skizots wrote:
I can't see how it triggers someone to twitter such thoughts of violence (on Twitter, WHILE HE WAS STILL SERVING IN THE MILITARY!!! Big "red flag" there!), and then carry them out on innocent people. A person like that just isn't normal.
You make a big mistake when you say he killed "innocent people". You assume his victims never harmed him.

The police want the public to assume the victims were innocent and didn't deserve to be murdered, and then it makes it easy to say the killer was nuts, and this is what police want. They want more gun controls to stop crazy people from having guns. This violates the 2nd amendment. It makes it easy for cops to stop their personal enemies from acquiring a weapon. All antigun laws are illegal, immoral, and dysfunctional.
Skizots

Old Bridge, NJ

#13 Sep 25, 2012
Dear "Tory II": Just when I thought we were on the same page, you post something as bold and COLD to imply that these 2 victims may not have been "innocent". OK, once again, I think you need some serious counseling. I happened to know the family of one of those victims who were murdered. Regardless of how you feel about whether a victim in any shooting case may not be "innocent", this particular horrible killing was the result of an emotionally disturbed person who went on a shoot spree where he worked, killing 2 INNOCENT co-workers. If you have issues with antigun laws, don't use these 2 INNOCENT VICTIMS to make them out to be someone who may have provoked the killer, and then showing some sympathy for the killer, as if he was the victim! I do have some kind of empathy for the killer, that it's sad that he didn't get the right psychological help before doing this to INNOCENT VICTIMS, and then taking his own life immediately after. If you still don't get what I'm saying here, then I ask you to please seek some counseling for yourself. God bless you.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Location hidden

#14 Sep 25, 2012
All antigun nuts need therapy.
Skizots

Old Bridge, NJ

#15 Sep 26, 2012
I'm not "antigun". I just think the "antigun" laws that are in place now are not solving the problem of the "wrong" people being able to get their hands on assault weapons. There appears to be some kind of "epidemic" of troubled or disturbed people (for lack of a better word) resorting to assault weapons to go on these shooting sprees, killing innocent people. Based on your posts, you don't seem to feel anything for these victims. What's your opinion on the Colorado movie theater killing spree?

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Location hidden

#16 Sep 26, 2012
Skizots wrote:
What's your opinion on the Colorado movie theater killing spree?
Skizots

Old Bridge, NJ

#17 Sep 27, 2012
Interesting spoof video! Peace.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#18 Sep 27, 2012
It would be more effective to just ban crazy people. Lock them up. A smal price to pay for the safety of our children.

“"Stand and Fight"”

Since: Sep 10

United States

#19 Sep 28, 2012
Skizots wrote:
I'm not "antigun". I just think the "antigun" laws that are in place now are not solving the problem of the "wrong" people being able to get their hands on assault weapons. There appears to be some kind of "epidemic" of troubled or disturbed people (for lack of a better word) resorting to assault weapons to go on these shooting sprees, killing innocent people. Based on your posts, you don't seem to feel anything for these victims. What's your opinion on the Colorado movie theater killing spree?
I think the movie theater's policy of not allowing even legal firearms was what got those people killed/injured. Had an off-duty cop/armed bystander been around, there would have been more lives saved. This is major proof that time and time again, most mass shootings occur in gun disarmament zones, even in a presumably secure base such as Ft Hood.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 1 hr Marauder 12,067
Texas open carry is shooting itself in the foot Dec 16 Independent1 4
Open Carry Activist Charged With Shooting Ex-Hu... Dec 13 Here Is One 3
Ferguson braces for grand jury decision Dec 11 Vern5554566 4
Deer Hunting Time Dec 9 kurtcooksalot16 1
Bill would stiffen background checks Dec 8 Independent1 3
SAFE Act PROTEST draws crowd in Lewis County (Jun '13) Dec 7 lowville resident 4
More from around the web