“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#1 Mar 16, 2013
Will shooting slugs ( Not Sabots )
damage the rifling in a shotgun barrel ?

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#2 Mar 16, 2013
Where Is My America wrote:
Will shooting slugs ( Not Sabots )
damage the rifling in a shotgun barrel ?
Because of how soft the lead is compared to the steel barrel, it shouldn't. But it might make cleaning the barrel more difficult due to lead fouling. I was told this is a big problem if you use rifled slugs in a rifled barrel.

Don't Tread On Me

#3 Mar 16, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Because of how soft the lead is compared to the steel barrel, it shouldn't. But it might make cleaning the barrel more difficult due to lead fouling. I was told this is a big problem if you use rifled slugs in a rifled barrel.
THANK YOU !

I always herd rifled slugs - smooth bore , sabots - rifled barrel.

Now I know why and this will be a big help because I have had up to now Mossberg smooth bore but I bought a Remington Versa Max and have not shot it yet but I have bought some sabots just in case.

I just wish "sabot" was not a French word.

Southeast Virginia

#4 Mar 16, 2013
<quoted text>THANK YOU !
I always herd rifled slugs - smooth bore , sabots - rifled barrel.
Now I know why and this will be a big help because I have had up to now Mossberg smooth bore but I bought a Remington Versa Max and have not shot it yet but I have bought some sabots just in case.
I just wish "sabot" was not a French word.
Or so freaking expensive! And by the way, I have a Mossberg 500A with a 24" rifled slug barrel. After some comparison shooting with different brands, the Remington Accu-Tip sabot slugs were the most consistently accurate. Your mileage may vary.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#5 Mar 18, 2013
Pronounced 'sa boh' (in France).

Don't Tread On Me

#6 Mar 18, 2013
Tory II wrote:
Pronounced 'sa boh'(in France).
French whine.

Pronounced wine in France.

Don't Tread On Me

#7 Mar 18, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Or so freaking expensive! And by the way, I have a Mossberg 500A with a 24" rifled slug barrel. After some comparison shooting with different brands, the Remington Accu-Tip sabot slugs were the most consistently accurate. Your mileage may vary.
I got it under list but two weeks after my purchase you could no longer find them below MSRP ,and now they are on backorder and it was the only high capacity semi-auto shotgun I could find along with my first semi-auto .

After having pistol grip and 19'' pumps for so long I need to get to the range to get use to it but damn ammo has gotten so expensive there is no longer a cheap day at the range.

I should just use in the back of the house but unless I call the Sheriffs office and tell them I will have a helicopter above and an APC coming down the driveway.

Don't Tread On Me

#8 Mar 21, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot to say thanks on the comparison , I have for or five brands I want to test but I would also like to due a depth test and I am not sure a range would allow this.

I may have to set up something at home and possibly freak out the neighbors which is why I have not done so yet.

Southeast Virginia

#9 Mar 21, 2013
<quoted text>I forgot to say thanks on the comparison , I have for or five brands I want to test but I would also like to due a depth test and I am not sure a range would allow this.
I may have to set up something at home and possibly freak out the neighbors which is why I have not done so yet.
You're welcome.

If it's an outdoor range....maybe. Indoor...probably not since you aren't allowed down range.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson braces for grand jury decision 2 hr PantsUpDontLoot 11
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 7 hr obama crime syndi... 12,172
Magnum Research Introduces Stainless Steel Dese... 14 hr Here Is One 1
Concealed carry does not make us safer (Nov '09) Tue fae31 6,985
Texas open carry is shooting itself in the foot Dec 20 Independent1 9
Open Carry Activist Charged With Shooting Ex-Hu... Dec 13 Here Is One 3
Deer Hunting Time Dec 9 kurtcooksalot16 1
More from around the web