Kahr CW40 PROBLEM
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Colby

United States

#1 Dec 31, 2008
Ok, I have been trying to get ahold of Kahr now for 3 days to no avail!

My Kahr is having problems. The first day I bought it I brought it home and took it apart to clean it a little and all that stuff. I took it apart and put it back together with ZERO problems. But I went out shooting it for the first time on Saturday and after only putting about 40 rounds through it came home.

I took it apart again just to clean it a little and thats when my problems began. I took out the locking pin and tried to take the slide off by sliding it forward, didnt work. So I thought I would just try it again....put the pin back in and now the pin will not come out for anything. And even the slide is locking open when there is no clip in it.

I followed directions EXACTLY....anyone had this problem???
Sean

Taylor, MI

#2 Jan 19, 2009
You probably have the spring under the slide catch piece instead of above it like it's supposed to be. It'll be a pain to get out and will probably mess up the spring but once you fix that, it'll come right out every time like it should. Check Kahr's website for the correct disassembly/reassembly video.
The Patman

Carrollton, TX

#3 Mar 6, 2009
I had exactly the same issue. The video describes how to do it right, but the book just says "push it in". The book needs to be fixed to eliminate this issue.
TIMBO

Brentwood, TN

#4 Jun 10, 2009
I use a CW40 for my carry weapon and have had zero
problems with it after putting the "break in" 200
rounds through it. I have taken it apart and put it back together per the books instructions multiple times without problems. I did get a crack
in one of the magazines and sent it back to Kahr
and they replaced it in a timely manner.
CIA

Kodak, TN

#5 Jun 10, 2009
The Patman wrote:
I had exactly the same issue. The video describes how to do it right, but the book just says "push it in". The book needs to be fixed to eliminate this issue.
Kahr has a confirmed design problem with the cost down CW series of pistols. They went to MIM parts for slide release and mag release and the guns fail due to improper tolerance. They are not even permitted to sell them in the state of Massachusetts where they are manufacture. You Have been screwed by Justin Moon, the son of Rev. Moon of Korea and his line of junk pistols.
Phlipper

Sanford, NC

#6 Jul 31, 2009
I'm selling my CW40 as soon as I can get it to feed properly. I ran 150 rounds thru it with no issues and today it stops feeding (rounds jam against the feed ramp and it took me hours to get it apart cuz the pi wouldn't budge. It's a POS ... I can't trust my life with this thing. Ridiculous for a $550 pistol. I'll never own another one and will tell everyone what a POS it was.
Yooper

Big Rapids, MI

#7 Sep 9, 2009
CIA wrote:
<quoted text>Kahr has a confirmed design problem with the cost down CW series of pistols. They went to MIM parts for slide release and mag release and the guns fail due to improper tolerance. They are not even permitted to sell them in the state of Massachusetts where they are manufacture. You Have been screwed by Justin Moon, the son of Rev. Moon of Korea and his line of junk pistols.
Where did you get the info on Kahr not being able to sell in Massachusetts? I would like to see a more reliable source than your post.
I have two Kahr pistols and one is perfect and the other has an issue. My question to you is did I screw Kahr by getting a good gun?
Luke

Denver, CO

#8 Feb 5, 2010
Mine won't feed any ammo consistently. I called the factory and the rep told me I was not using the slide release properly. He claimed that I needed to insert the magazine with the slide back, and hit the release to chamber the round. He said if the slide is simply racked, it might not chamber the round properly, i.e., far enough into the chamber. Instantly I knew that I should have bought the Glock. But then the rep offered to send me a new spring. I didn't even ask for one. I suspect the spring might be too weak, and the factory knows it. Haven't gotten the spring, but I'll bet it's a bit stiffer, and I wouldn't like that. Tough enough to rack as it is, especially compared to a Glock.
SteveT

United States

#9 Jun 6, 2010
CW9 had feeding issues that Kahr could not fix.

So, tried the CW40 and after 250 rounds it STILL has slide locking-back with rounds in the mag issues. Junk. The spring/slide lock assembly is junk.

My PM9 is tried and true and I've had it long before I tried the CW series, and I trust it. It eats all manor of ball or hollow poiints with not a hiccup.

CW series is junk, expensive junk. Why the f*ck does the ultra-dependable, durable, accurate, tough and trust worthy Glock line have to be so damn wide? A dream pistol would be a .93" wide .40 cal glock!

Oh and buck Ofama. TutsWords dot com.
backdraft

Denver, CO

#10 Aug 12, 2010
Same problem. Kicks out the empty, but won't chamber another round. Gets hung up on the feed ramp. I'm gonna try a lighter spring. Maybe that will let it come out of battery, which I think is the overall problem. Aside from that, I don't know what to do. I have found three weights on the net, 18, 20 and 22 pounds. Only 8 bucks a piece, so I'll buy the 18 and 20. This thing is a bear to disassemble, too. You gotta be superman to get the pin out, and call the hulk for an extra set of hands to put it back together. Only reason I bought it is because I'm a bit skinny and wanna be able to hide it. And until Glock released their slimline, this was the skinniest on the market.
Joe S

Colorado Springs, CO

#11 Sep 16, 2010
I just purchased second hand a Kahr CW40 compact model second hand. The individual I bought it from had not fired it or disassembled the weapon. However, with the first 100 rds of Federal FMJ flat nose I put through it I only had 03 rds. chamber correctly. 97 rds. were fired, and each time I had to pull the upper receiver back again to chamber the next round. Since then I have had the opportunity to speak to many respectable gentlemen who have given me several ideas to correct the problem. I have not tried these new techniques as of yet, round nose type bullets or even FMJ standard rounds, however, no one on this page gives me any hope for a cure. I fired these rounds about a week ago, and as of yet I have not been able to clean it as of yet. I have tried, but I can't get the pin out, which is the first step. I have pushed, pulled, and banged, I almost threw it, but no joy. I agree with the satement above from Phlipper, I cannot and will not trust my life to this weapon. If anyone has some more ideas please through them my way, I will try them, but for now my thoughts are to try and trade it in for a revolver. A weapon I will be able to trust.
Joe S

Colorado Springs, CO

#12 Sep 16, 2010
I do apologize for my terrible grammar. I did not proof it before posting. Horrid. I am sorry to whoever reads that posting.
Tony Sparta MI

Rockford, MI

#13 Sep 18, 2010
backdraft wrote:
Same problem. Kicks out the empty, but won't chamber another round. Gets hung up on the feed ramp. I'm gonna try a lighter spring. Maybe that will let it come out of battery, which I think is the overall problem. Aside from that, I don't know what to do. I have found three weights on the net, 18, 20 and 22 pounds. Only 8 bucks a piece, so I'll buy the 18 and 20. This thing is a bear to disassemble, too. You gotta be superman to get the pin out, and call the hulk for an extra set of hands to put it back together. Only reason I bought it is because I'm a bit skinny and wanna be able to hide it. And until Glock released their slimline, this was the skinniest on the market.
I just had this problem after 1,100 rounds of flawless performance. Would not cycle rounds, would not disassemble easily. Check the spring on the takedown pin per the video on the Kahr website ( http://www.kahr.com/download/dtlmov_takedown-... ). The spring MUST be on top of the takedown pin when put back together. In bright light, with the slide locked open, I could see my spring had slipped under the pin. As per Sean from MI, it was a bear to get out and the spring was bent. I bent it back into original shape with tiny needlenose pliers and everything went together as advertised. Gun performs flawless once again. New spring on order for safety sake.
The spring position is critical!!!
Tony

Rockford, MI

#14 Sep 18, 2010
Joe S wrote:
I just purchased second hand a Kahr CW40 compact model second hand. The individual I bought it from had not fired it or disassembled the weapon. However, with the first 100 rds of Federal FMJ flat nose I put through it I only had 03 rds. chamber correctly. 97 rds. were fired, and each time I had to pull the upper receiver back again to chamber the next round. Since then I have had the opportunity to speak to many respectable gentlemen who have given me several ideas to correct the problem. I have not tried these new techniques as of yet, round nose type bullets or even FMJ standard rounds, however, no one on this page gives me any hope for a cure. I fired these rounds about a week ago, and as of yet I have not been able to clean it as of yet. I have tried, but I can't get the pin out, which is the first step. I have pushed, pulled, and banged, I almost threw it, but no joy. I agree with the satement above from Phlipper, I cannot and will not trust my life to this weapon. If anyone has some more ideas please through them my way, I will try them, but for now my thoughts are to try and trade it in for a revolver. A weapon I will be able to trust.
Joe, Sounds like the prior owner put the takedown pin in with the spring under the takedown pin. Check in bright light per my las post.
Gregar

Windsor, CO

#15 Nov 23, 2010
I have a CW40, and have found that as long as you put it back together with the slide lock spring on TOP of the slide lock, it performs like a gem. But if you get in a hurry, and bend the spring like I did, it is a bitch to get apart and will lock the slide open after every shot. I called Kahr and got through to a real person right away. They were nice and friendly and they sent me a new spring at no charge. I have no complaints with the pistol or the company. To me, it is like any thing else. You just have to get used to the machine that you are operating.
rka 338

Mckeesport, PA

#16 Nov 24, 2010
I bought a cw 40 even after reading the bad press, the ammo I used for break in were reloads (not mine) that sometimes worked in my g22. The breakin was not fun with these loads mostly failures to lock up completely, had a couple times when slide locked back on full mag, found this to be my finger bumping slide lock it while firing. then I shot some factory win. still having jams then had my father in law fire with me, no problems, I have it narrowed down to operator error on my part. It feeds factory and reloaded rem gold sabres and speer golds dots without a bobble. mag is loose fit so I taped around base plate end and filed off some of finger rest (so I don't pull down while firing) and with this mag anyway, only have 1 for now, I load 6, but carry 5+1, for 100% reliability. Overall I am happy with pistol, would prefer to carry my g26, but not nearly as comfortable. Last week I carried the cw40 and full mag in an unlined inside the waistband holster on a 10 mile hike with my wife, at the end it did start to become noticeable, but the anything bulkier or heavier would have been work.

Raleigh, NC

#17 Jan 13, 2011
Three Kahr CW series (9,.40,.45), 300+ rounds each, and no problems yet (knock wood). The only issue I've found is the timing of the dis-connector. There is a hitch in rearward slide movement in most semi-autos as the disconnect is activated (with the exception of St. Browning's design). The point being, if the engagement angle during the extraction phase were different, there would be less friction and the slide would cycle more thoroughly. The disconnector is half round in profile. Might just buy a spare or two and experiment with the leading edge profile, maybe check with Kahr too. It would certainly make chamber checks a little easier.

The .45 certainly likes 200 gr gold dot LE +p, but will run with ball, lead ball, and even some old 185 SWC target loads from the loose round box.
Joe S

Colorado Springs, CO

#18 Jan 27, 2011
Tony, thank you for responding to my posting. I ended up trading in for a .38 snub nose revolver. When the gentleman attempted to disassemble the weapon he discovered the problem was as you stated. However I am still unaware if the feeding problem was ammo or operator error. I will never know. I am very satisfied with my revolver, and know that if it does not fire when the trigger is pulled then it is the fault of the ammunition dealer and not the weapon. Plus Rock Island Amory makes excellent weapons. I own two, and have not been disappointed with either of the pistols. In the future I will look to this company to purchase other weapons.
Anonymous

Cape Coral, FL

#19 Feb 13, 2011
I also recently purchased a Kahr CW40 and am having the same problem. When I bought it I ran about 200 rounds through it and everything worked perfectly. I tool it home and cleaned it that night, dutifully following the manufacturers instructions. The next day, in my excitement with my latest purchase, I went back to the range to squeeze off a few more rounds. After the first round fired, the slide stayed open. It will close if I manually release it, but that's not how it should be working. It looks like the problem is with the spring, as Tony and Gregar and others have noted.
While I'm disappointed that the spring mechanism is so sensitive to misalignment, I still like the pistol and agree with Gregar that I just need to learn all the details of the product. I'm going to contact Kahr and see if they will provide me with a new spring. Thanks for the guidance gentlemen.
Anonymous

Cape Coral, FL

#20 Feb 13, 2011
And Tony Sparta, thanks for the answer, since you were the first to explain the problem. :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Assault weapon bans should stand 2 hr payme 794
News No wedding for Bristol Palin (May '15) Mon Three Days 43
News Facebook Spends $16 Million on Armed Guards for... Apr 29 okimar 1
News Hillary to Voter Calling for More Second Amendm... Apr 24 GoForTheBandit 1
News Crimson Trace Provides Improved Accuracy Apr 22 duzitreallymatter 1
News It's just a bill Apr 20 payme 1
News Advocates: Vegas Woman Slaying Illustrates Find... Apr 19 spytheweb 1
More from around the web