People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary

Jan 17, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Reuters

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta joined the gun control debate on Thursday when he told troops at a military base in Italy that only soldiers needed armor-piercing bullets or assault weapons.

Comments
4,481 - 4,500 of 4,995 Comments Last updated Apr 13, 2013

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#4799 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
You don't know???
You don't know, Buttercup, but you don't have a problem with people selling guns to strangers without doing a background check.

Location hidden

#4800 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I did NOT say "what gun sales", liar.
Are guns sold at gun shows, Buttercup?

PS:
Here's another gun bought to save the family from intruders...

Police: Man fatally shoots young son, injures estranged wife in Huntingdon County then kills himself

Published: March 24, 2013

Police search a wooded area for Kenneth Robert Ayers, 52, who police said fatally shot his son, 2, and injured his estranged wife before later killing himself in the Warriors Mark area.

By Britney Milazzo — bmilazzo@centredaily.com

A Petersburg man fatally shot his young son and injured his estranged wife Saturday during a custody exchange, police said.

State police at Huntingdon said Kenneth Robert Ayers, 52, later killed himself.

Police said the incident occurred around 8:45 a.m. when Hollie Jo Ayers brought the 2-year-old to a residence on Manor Hill Road in Barree Township, Huntingdon County.

A physical altercation occurred between Kenneth Ayers and Hollie Jo Ayers outside the home. During the fight, Kenneth Ayers shot Hollie Jo Ayers, police said, in the right arm and in both legs before he shot and killed his son.

Police said Kenneth Ayers then placed the child’s body in the back of his vehicle. When Hollie Jo Ayers attempted to retrieve the child’s body, Kenneth Ayers then shot her in the face, according to police. He then shot at his mother, Mary Ayers, missing her.

State College police said they were alerted to be available for assistance when Ayers then fled to Stormstown.

State police said Ayers was later found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a wooded area adjacent to state Route 550 in Warriors Mark Township.

State College police Lt. Mark Argiro said police had arrested Ayers in 2010 for violating an order of protection against his wife after a domestic incident.

Police said Hollie Jo Ayers was transported to a hospital for treatment Saturday. Neither Altoona Regional nor Mount Nittany Medical Center had her listed as a patient.

The Huntingdon County Coroner and District Attorney’s offices, in addition to volunteer fire companies, and state police from Hollidaysburg, Rockview, Lewistown and Philipsburg assisted at scenes.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2013/03/24/3551549...

Location hidden

#4801 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
What is the percentage of firearms recovered from crimes that were traced back to sales at gun shows?

"Felons were associated with selling or purchasing firearms in 46% of the gun show investigations. Firearms that were illegally diverted at or through gun shows were recovered in subsequent crimes including homicide and robbery, in more than a third of the gun show investigations."

Location hidden

#4802 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
The answer is 0.7%. LESS THAN ONE PERCENT.
That's funny.

Here what CATO- a gun lobby- says:

"The true figure is rather different, according to the National Institute of Justice, the research arm of the U.S. Department of Justice. According to an NIJ study released in December 1997 (“Homicide in Eight U.S. Cities,” a report that covers much more than homicide), only 2 percent of criminal guns come from gun shows."

That was based on gun shows TWENTY YEARS AGO, Buttercup.

And on weapons that were REPORTED and PROVED to come from gun shows.

Any idiot understands that if you give someone an opportunity to buy firearms from a venue that offers sales to people without doing background checks that people who cannot buy- felons, wife beaters- are going to swarm to that venue.

Location hidden

#4803 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a neat little statistic for you (it came out a few years ago from the Dept. of Justice).
Gunny how you trot out a number you insist came from Dept of Justice but you don't have the link.

You are- already proved- a m/f c/s liar.

Everything that comes out of your mouth is sticky.

Do show us that link- since DoJ doesn't release "secret" figures.

Location hidden

#4804 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Gun sales are loopholes?????
Best of luck in your ESL classes, Buttercup.

Location hidden

#4805 Mar 24, 2013
serfs up wrote:
Anarchy is being pushed by the elitists.
Gosh, you don't really think anyone is paying attention to your tea bag rhetoric?

Especially when you start of with a complete line of cr@p?

Location hidden

#4806 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
Felons are usually smart eneough to realize you don't want to be comitting another felony when cops are right there.
I will add this to the long list of stupid things that you have said so far.

A) Cops aren't right there
B) Cops don't know who the felons are
C) It isn't illegal for felons to go to gun shows (unless rarely stipulated by parole)
D) Felons swarm to gun shows
E) You still haven't told us how you can tell a person is a felon before you sell your firearm

Location hidden

#4807 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
. And most private sellers will NOT sell you a firearm if they suspect you are a felon because that in and of itself is a felony.
It isn't a felony to sell a firearm to someone unless you know he/she is a felon.

Dumbazz.

Of course: you know this some I'll point to the above m/f c/s liar evaluation.

So far.

I would argue that it should be a felony to sell a firearm to a felon in every instance with but one exception: if you have approval/clearance from the background check "service".

You look at someone and you use your secret powers of ascertaining his/her felony status, and if you are wrong, you go to jail.

You can use the background check if you want, and if you don't, you serve the time for the crime.

And give time off the sentence for anyone convicted of a crime using a gun who can prove where he/she got the weapon.

Okay, buttercup?

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#4808 Mar 24, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny.
Here what CATO- a gun lobby- says:
"The true figure is rather different, according to the National Institute of Justice, the research arm of the U.S. Department of Justice. According to an NIJ study released in December 1997 (“Homicide in Eight U.S. Cities,” a report that covers much more than homicide), only 2 percent of criminal guns come from gun shows."
That was based on gun shows TWENTY YEARS AGO, Buttercup.
And on weapons that were REPORTED and PROVED to come from gun shows.
Any idiot understands that if you give someone an opportunity to buy firearms from a venue that offers sales to people without doing background checks that people who cannot buy- felons, wife beaters- are going to swarm to that venue.
Accept that you can't PROVE that is what is happening. Even your own post (a different study from the one I mentioned, which you didn't provide a link for either) said it was only TWO percent of guns that where purchased at a gun show. FAR LESS than the 40+ percent you keep yammering about isn't it?

Southeast Virginia

#4809 Mar 24, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't a felony to sell a firearm to someone unless you know he/she is a felon.
Dumbazz.
It's not verbatim, but that is what I said, dumbass.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course: you know this some I'll point to the above m/f c/s liar evaluation.
So far.
I would argue that it should be a felony to sell a firearm to a felon in every instance with but one exception: if you have approval/clearance from the background check "service".
You look at someone and you use your secret powers of ascertaining his/her felony status, and if you are wrong, you go to jail.
You can use the background check if you want, and if you don't, you serve the time for the crime.
And give time off the sentence for anyone convicted of a crime using a gun who can prove where he/she got the weapon.
Okay, buttercup?
Why are you willing to punish someone who did not knowingly sell to a felon for the crime THE FELON committed?

You truly have NO CLUE what personal responsibility is do you. Should Ford be sued every time a drunk drives one of their cars and kills someone? Better yet....let's sue Jack Daniels. People have been trying to sue gun companies for years because some idiot (MUCH like yourself) used one of their guns to kill someone with. All you are doing is diflecting the blame away from where it should be placed.......square on the shoulders of the person committing the crime. PERIOD.

And you STILL have not articulated exactly what loophole is being used at a gun show to buy guns, or what my "special rights" are that you seem to think I am wanting. Why is that? Could it because you are COMPLETELY FULL OF SHIT? Methinks so.

Location hidden

#4810 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Accept that you can't PROVE that is what is happening.
You mean like when you pull a figure out of the air and insist it came from the DoJ but can't prove it?

Because not only can I prove the figures I have, I provide the source even for the dullards like you that can't be pothered to look them up.

And we can't start by declaring that you are an ignorant m/f c/s lying gun gnutter loon.

Americans don't and no longer will wait for you special rights loons admit there is the loophole that is used thousands of times every weekend.

Southeast Virginia

#4811 Mar 24, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I will add this to the long list of stupid things that you have said so far.
A) Cops aren't right there
Not only ARE they right there. They are checking every weapon brought into the gun show to make sure it is unloaded with the action open, then securing the action of the firearm with a zip-tie so it can't be cycled. Wrong again assbag.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>B) Cops don't know who the felons are
So.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>C) It isn't illegal for felons to go to gun shows (unless rarely stipulated by parole)
Again, so. Not all felons are violent felons, and guns are not the only thing sold at gun shows.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>D) Felons swarm to gun shows
Personal OPINION not based on anything BUT your opinion.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>E) You still haven't told us how you can tell a person is a felon before you sell your firearm
I don't have to tell if they are or aren't. The only firearm I have ever sold where I didn't know the person personally, was to a dealer (I actually traded one for another gun, and I still had to go through a background check, because technically I was buying a gun from an FFL dealer. I just wasn't using cash to buy it.)

Keep talking shit about things you have NO CLUE about. You are making this WAAAAY too easy.

Location hidden

#4812 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
Why are you willing to punish someone who did not knowingly sell to a felon for the crime THE FELON committed?.
Why aren't you willing to punish someone selling weapons to felons, Buttercup?

I saY: punish the felon who buys the weapon and punish the criminal who sells him the weapon.

I say: you make your choice, Buttercup: if you want to sell your firearms to strangers and won't walk to the other side of the room to do a background check, then you do the time.

Are you responsible for your actions, buttercup?

Location hidden

#4813 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not verbatim, but that is what I said, dumbass.
It isn't close to what you said, dumbazz, or you would have provided the f*king quote.

Let's see: are you required to even ask?

No.

Here's a thought, dumbazz: I say iof you want to sell a firearm to someone you don't know and you want to use your secret powers to determine he/she is a felon, yes or no...FINE!

And I say if you are wrong: you go to jail, and you no longer get to own, buy or sell or inherit or hold in your hands, firearms.

We take a picture of you with the numbers on your chest and you go into the database.

Sound fair?

Location hidden

#4814 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only ARE they right there. They are checking every weapon
They aren't.

Do let me know the minute you have a law that requires it.

Location hidden

#4815 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
Again, so. Not all felons are violent felons
I see... so now you not only don't want to stopped from selling firearms to felons, you want to be able to sell to felons who commit other than violent crime?

You are okay selling to druggies, eh?

Location hidden

#4816 Mar 24, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
I don't have to tell if they are or aren't.
You do if you sell firearms.

And clearly: you aren't the type to ask.

I don't care if you have ever sold or you sell every weekend- by the way, you could sell weapons every weekend of the year and still not be a "professional" (licensed) firearms dealer.

And you are saying that you are willing to sell to nonviolent felons?

You can see why Americans want to stop idiots like yourself.

Southeast Virginia

#4817 Mar 24, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why aren't you willing to punish someone selling weapons to felons, Buttercup?
I saY: punish the felon who buys the weapon and punish the criminal who sells him the weapon.
I say: you make your choice, Buttercup: if you want to sell your firearms to strangers and won't walk to the other side of the room to do a background check, then you do the time.
Are you responsible for your actions, buttercup?
If they KNOWINGLY sell a gun to a felon. Nail their ass to the wall. Good enough? And it is NOT as simple as walking to the other side of the room for a background check. A private seller first has to find a dealer that can run the check through the system for them. Some "instant" background checks can take DAYS to go through. The last show I worked, one of the bigger licensed dealers was still waiting on 76 background checks to clear when the show ended. And the are not free either. So what you end with essentially is having to pay a TAX in order to exercise a right, which is unconstitutional.

(On a side note, a lot of people were at the gun show, but almost all the ammo was gone, and no Marlin semi-auto .22 rifles to speak of, so I left.)

Southeast Virginia

#4818 Mar 24, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
They aren't.
Do let me know the minute you have a law that requires it.
It's not a law, you dotard, nor does it have to be. It is a requirement set by Southeastern Guns and Knives at all there venues. Don't like it, you the option to not enter. I don't particularly like it, but it is private property and SG&N set whatever rules they wish.

Damn you are dumb.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A 9-year-old girl, a fatal Uzi accident and a r... 2 hr IvoryLovesEbony 2
Joe Miller: 'If 20 million illegals vote, you c... 2 hr Juan 104
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 3 hr Squach 10,260
3 year old shoots AR and survives 3 hr Tory II 1
First Grade Primer Wed Cry Ola 2
Texas Gov. Rick Perry Is No Longer Permitted to... Wed Justice Served Well 1
The Darwin Awards Wed Arthur Itis 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••