People do not need assault weapons: d...

People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary

There are 4995 comments on the Reuters story from Jan 17, 2013, titled People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary. In it, Reuters reports that:

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta joined the gun control debate on Thursday when he told troops at a military base in Italy that only soldiers needed armor-piercing bullets or assault weapons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Conroe, TX

#2293 Feb 8, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd go to Supreme Court justices:
WASHINGTON -- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said Sunday that there are "undoubtedly" limits to a person's right to bear arms under the Second Amendment, but that future court cases will have to decide where to draw the line.
+++
We have to remind you that you aren't not very smart, you are a liar, and that you lie when you move your lips.
Would that be the same Supreme Court that ruled a corporation is equal to the human individual?
And the same Supreme Court that ruled an unelected municipal body can force the transfer of property from one private individual to another private individual without what the Constitution calls "due process" to suit their political whim?
And the same Supreme Court that ruled the federal govenment can confiscate legally grown agricultural products for personal consumption because it has the possibility of interferring with existing illegal interstate commerce?

How about we just go to the source of all sources, the Constitution. You can read the Constitution, can't you?

Show us the text in the Constitution that allows the government to infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#2294 Feb 8, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
... and Colt 45 Malt Liquor.
Of course, they will need all the false courage they can muster.

au contraire

Location hidden

#2295 Feb 8, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
-wiping tear from his eye-
Lincoln freed the slaves by executive order.
I am sure you will respect the president's authority should he pass laws that will protect the majority of Americans who are tired of the NRA special rights crowd who insist they need weapons capable of mass destruction.
Special rights crowd......Oh yes, ACORN and Planned Parenthood. 33 million women have been aborted......the real war on women continues.

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#2296 Feb 8, 2013
Yes, That bothered me too. I can only surmise that it was removed by someone else (Strassmeir?) to mark the car. Police are known to break tailights for just the same reason.
General Ben Parton discovered that some of the columns in the rear of the building were destroyed while some of the columns in the front were intact. As though the pressure went around the front to hit only the rear columns. Also, The university of Oklahoma maintains a seismograph and they got readings for two explosions at that time, not one. This is indicative of a barometric pressure fuse.
My president was elected by dead people!
Regards, Terri
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
There were many unexplained details about the OKC bombing.
One thing that has always stood out to me is the missing license plate on McVeigh's car that was the reason why he was stopped after the bombing. License plates don't just fall off. Somebody removed it. It has never been found.
Rebel Against Tyranny

Fruitport, MI

#2297 Feb 8, 2013
The government attempting to infringe on the Second Amendment is the best proof that the Second Amendment must be upheld and government power checked.

The claim by the Left that the Second Amendment isn't about the ability to overthrow our own government because citizens could never win a rebellion with the arms the public are allowed to legally possess, is the best argument that the 1934 National Firearms Act along with later additional restrictions that impose broad restrictions on the types of firearms able to be legally owned by the general public should be repealed/abolished/rewritten.

The public should be able to legally purchase & own whatever the current main weapon carried by US infantry units is without registration. Anyone should be able to walk into Walmart or any gun store and walk out with an M-4 select-fire carbine.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#2298 Feb 8, 2013
the rectum of us wrote:
<quoted text>
Professor, I'm not only a Fartsack I'm a lying, amoral, stalker/troll POS. Nobody believes anything I post on here but instead think of me as a disgusting turd. Go tell it to others - I'm a vile, wingnut kid-toucher who's completely wasting his time on here.
OK, if you insist...:)

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#2299 Feb 8, 2013
Rebel Against Tyranny wrote:
The government attempting to infringe on the Second Amendment is the best proof that the Second Amendment must be upheld and government power checked.
The claim by the Left that the Second Amendment isn't about the ability to overthrow our own government because citizens could never win a rebellion with the arms the public are allowed to legally possess, is the best argument that the 1934 National Firearms Act along with later additional restrictions that impose broad restrictions on the types of firearms able to be legally owned by the general public should be repealed/abolished/rewritten.
The public should be able to legally purchase & own whatever the current main weapon carried by US infantry units is without registration. Anyone should be able to walk into Walmart or any gun store and walk out with an M-4 select-fire carbine.
Believe what you want about the 2nd amendment and "infringing on our rights," you're entitled to your opinion. You're NOT entitled to your own facts, however.

There's NO evidence that our Founders ever wanted to guarantee gun rights as part of some guarantee of the ability to overthrow a "tyrannical" government. In fact the Founders were generally well-off, many of them quite wealthy in fact, and wanted a neat, orderly, well-governed country - they would have had NO patience with insurrection.

Our early history bears this out - having had to pull together a small private militia to take on Shay's Rebellion in Massachussetts, the government made sure this wouldn't happen again and put down the Whiskey Rebellion in western PA with state militias (yes,'well-regulated' and with their own guns and everything!) from four or five neighboring states including NJ.

Remember, there was little or no standing army, no national guard, no local police forces, maybe a local constable here and there. Other than a militia, there was almost no way to keep the peace and prevent insurrections or large-scale disturbances.

Your belief that Americans should have access to military weapons including carbines is simply irrational, and borders on the insane. More guns = more violence = more possible insurrections, something our Founders would've been horrified by.

Please, inform yourself with the facts.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#2300 Feb 8, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>Special rights crowd......Oh yes, ACORN and Planned Parenthood. 33 million women have been aborted......the real war on women continues.
So in your twisted mind, au Jimbo, the RIGHT to an abortion means that women are having abortions FORCED on them in this "war," right?

You are literally nuttier than a fruitcake.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#2301 Feb 8, 2013
geez harv, you've passed barefoot as the weirdest guy on topix.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#2302 Feb 8, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
You crack dumb jokes...make racist posts...think I'm someone called "harvey"...and offer this completely offtopic, out-of-the-blue comment, and I'M the weirdest guy on Topix?

ROTFLMAO!!

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#2303 Feb 8, 2013
BTW, wasn't "Harvey" the Jimmy Stewart movie where he was seeing a giant rabbit?

Is that what I am to you, a giant rabbit that no one else can see, Georgia?

LOL
Besara

Des Moines, IA

#2304 Feb 8, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
Well, they're both child molesters so it figures they'd run close to each other.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#2305 Feb 8, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a poor argument. Religion has killed more people than governments, read your Bible for classic examples of genocide for God.
Having guns did not help innocent Japanese citizens in WWII. We jailed our own, not our Germans, nor Italians, but our own asian people.
What if every freed black was armed in 1865? What could have happened? Guns solve nothing.
Do you believe if every German citizen had been armed, this would have stopped Hitler? LOL
Dream on...bang bang!
I'm not talking about deaths a few millenia ago. I am talking about mass genocide committed by governments in the last 100 years.

As the saying goes....the easiest way to enslave a people is to disarm them. Germany didn't disarm the Jews in one fell swoop. They did it the same way the libturds here are proposing it. First by a full registration of all firearms in the hands of civilians. Then banning certain types. Then an all out prohibition of civilian arms. If you had any, you had to either turn them in or face serious consequenses at the hands of the government. And you can see how that ended up. When the general public is disarmed for the safety of the government...all under the ruse of making the public safer...you no longer have freedom and liberty. You have tyranny.
Rebel Against Tyranny

Fruitport, MI

#2306 Feb 8, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe what you want about the 2nd amendment and "infringing on our rights," you're entitled to your opinion. You're NOT entitled to your own facts, however.
There's NO evidence that our Founders ever wanted to guarantee gun rights as part of some guarantee of the ability to overthrow a "tyrannical" government. In fact the Founders were generally well-off, many of them quite wealthy in fact, and wanted a neat, orderly, well-governed country - they would have had NO patience with insurrection.
Our early history bears this out - having had to pull together a small private militia to take on Shay's Rebellion in Massachussetts, the government made sure this wouldn't happen again and put down the Whiskey Rebellion in western PA with state militias (yes,'well-regulated' and with their own guns and everything!) from four or five neighboring states including NJ.
Remember, there was little or no standing army, no national guard, no local police forces, maybe a local constable here and there. Other than a militia, there was almost no way to keep the peace and prevent insurrections or large-scale disturbances.
Your belief that Americans should have access to military weapons including carbines is simply irrational, and borders on the insane. More guns = more violence = more possible insurrections, something our Founders would've been horrified by.
Please, inform yourself with the facts.
In the words of Penn & Teller; "Bullshit!"

au contraire

Location hidden

#2307 Feb 8, 2013
It is the newest liberal ploy, control the words, you control the meaning, control the meaning and you can change the definitions. Note: A recent speech from Obama stated that freedom of worship must be maintained in America. Freedom of worship is not the same as FREEDOM OF RELIGION. IT IS A SUTTLE ATTEMPT TO CHANGE WORDING JUST AS THEY HAVE IN THE LGBT COMMUNITY TO FIND ACCEPTANCE.

au contraire

Location hidden

#2308 Feb 8, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
BTW, wasn't "Harvey" the Jimmy Stewart movie where he was seeing a giant rabbit?
Is that what I am to you, a giant rabbit that no one else can see, Georgia?
LOL
More like a giant COCKroach. Suck on puffer.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#2309 Feb 8, 2013
well,'harv', every time I post something to 'harv' you answer....either you are 'harv' or you just can't resist the bait.
You, Barefoot and Mykro should set up some kind of menage a trois, yall seem to be the 3 amigos.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#2310 Feb 8, 2013
Tell us about the black UN hellycopters, PA!

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#2311 Feb 8, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>It is the newest liberal ploy,
Still waiting for the correction, Au Dumbo:
au contraire wrote:
FLASH: THIS JUST IN FROM THE LIBERAL HIDE A STORY NETWORK...LA POLICE HAVE SHOT AND KILLED TWO ASIAN WOMEN ON A PAPER ROUTE....mistaking these two Asian women for a 6'3" 270 black man...

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#2312 Feb 8, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
"Lucid" is a term applied subjectively. In my opinion, anyone who kills anyone else is not lucid. The reasons (not excuse) any person reaches the point where they are not lucid varies. Again, in my opinion, McVeigh reached this point due to emotions causing him to seek revenge, and in defense of his perception of an existing ideal he felt was unjustly being eliminated.
No. I never read the "Turner Diaries". I tend to read classic literature when I have to time to become absorbed into a work of literature. I will very seldomly read something from the modern era. This is why I am able to quote things like "Das Kapital" and "The Prince" and "First Republic" and so on, identifying things the Democrats are doing as repetitions of things identified as detrimental in literature centuries old.
I have to admit that I have never read "Mein Kampf" in its entirety.
Hitler would never have been able to do what he did if there wasn't a significantly large agreement (at least in principle, perhaps not in execution) with his ideology. He succeeded in his tyranny because of the general consensus that the head of state is the govenment, and not something like a Constitution.
This sounds eerily like the Democrats today, doesn't it?
I had the feeling you had read books with out pictures.
Jesuit education,
mien Kampf is unreadable.
Pierce was a a hack who's book while more readable than Hitler's screed, it was no less a call to incite war and murder. In the form of a white conservative christian revolution in the US who tipping point is a bombing of a federal building in a major US city.
Considering the potent effect that words have on a person , while not asking for a government impressed censorship, never a good idea, but a more self censored concept. Knowing right or left there are McVeigh's out there calls for revolution and violent solutions are very serious things to say.
I grew up in a Albany NY housing project one of the first things I had learned the hard way ...Never use fighting words unless you mean to back them up ...now.
Thus unless the British are coming, tonight,,, it might make the troops skittish and some get trigger happy when nervous.
Our Gov't has made tress pass not just against white separatists or right wingers but lefties , blacks, indians all have been aggrieved at various points.. However there are few nations that have allowed as wide a range of debate and has maintained control with a lesser level of forced compliance, then we have managed. We have vibrant robust democratic traditions. our system . is not broken, it may produce a president from time to that is unsuited for office. However this wouldn't have been maintainable unless generally speaking all parties have the nations best interest at heart even if this or that policy may be chafing to you or to me.
It is we pragmatic centerist bean counters that keep the sip afloat. you more radical guys have other functions
But as long as the Republic shall endure it shall through team play.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aren't American lives worth saving? 18 min Bozo666 37
News Watch Julianne Moore and Emma Stone implore cit... Sat Simplejim 9
News My Turn: Another day, another mass shooting in ... Sat payme 4
News Bump Stock Ban: Just the Tip of the Iceberg Oct 19 payme 3
How To Handle A Firearm With Your Opposite Hand Oct 17 SummerBB8 1
New Tactical Gear at LAX Ammo OC Store! Oct 16 SummerBB8 1
News Why are there always shootings in the US? Oct 15 youll shoot your ... 1
More from around the web