Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils ...

Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws

There are 9850 comments on the Bloomberg story from Mar 20, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws. In it, Bloomberg reports that:

The Justice Department opened an investigation this week into the killing of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old high school student who was shot dead on Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bloomberg.

Tray

Belden, MS

#10114 Jul 13, 2013
Tray

Belden, MS

#10115 Jul 13, 2013
Tray wrote:
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com /news/local/1-Dead-4-Hurt-in-S hooting-at-Teen-Girls-Birthday -Party-215364471.html
Just another day in the hood. Too bad no hispanic white guy to blame it on.
2nd Amendment

Nitro, WV

#10117 Jul 13, 2013
All I have to say is if OJ got away with murder then Zimmerman should get away with self defense from an aggressive thug with a history of fighting!
MIbowhunter

Grand Rapids, MI

#10118 Jul 13, 2013
Not guilty. Justice was served.
Tray

Belden, MS

#10119 Jul 13, 2013
MIbowhunter wrote:
Not guilty. Justice was served.
Free at last, free at last, thank God, free at last.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#10120 Jul 13, 2013
Public gun possession and self defense are protected again.
Law

Bellevue, NE

#10121 Jul 13, 2013
A Citizen Soldier wrote:
<quoted text>It looks like we're going to be on different pages until this case reaches an official conclusion.
I'm usually not one for gut reactions but my gut tells me that Zimmerman, this case, and the Sanford Police Department all reek to high heaven.
I know what I've read in the media.
Care to provide links that back up what you just stated?
I would love to read them.
What I read is this....
Zimmerman has a prior record for assaulting an officer.
Trayvon had no prior record and was an A and B student
I'm leaning towards Zimmerman being the thug.
Yes, chances are that most gun carriers on this forum would be carrying while on an errand but most gun carriers would not follow a kid and engage in a confrontation....especially when the kid was doing nothing...repeat...nothing wrong. If we all did that, the streets really would be filled with blood. Now if the kid was beating someone up or about to kill someone...then... and only then...would I even consider engaging the suspect.
Trayvon died because Zimmerman "thought" he "looked" suspicious.
Add to that the reports I've read that stated Zimmerman called 911/non emergency 911 dozens of times just since this January. Zimmerman was trying to find a problem or create a problem.
Now what?
Law

Bellevue, NE

#10122 Jul 13, 2013
menards wrote:
<quoted text>
George Zimmerman is anything but innocent.
Is that what the jury said?
Law

Bellevue, NE

#10123 Jul 13, 2013
Fry Zimmerman wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you buy a crystal ball and take up tarot cards you mnight want to get a grip and undderstand it's not a far reach to see that Trayvon was defending himself agains an unknown pursuer.
You're going to get an education in June you dumbass...LOL!!!
You just got schooled, douchenozzle!!!

“"Stand and Fight"”

Since: Sep 10

United States

#10124 Jul 14, 2013
@ "Fry Zimmerman"/ Zimmerman is free. Live with it.
Tray

Pontotoc, MS

#10125 Jul 14, 2013
Law wrote:
<quoted text>Is that what the jury said?
Where the hell have you been? We have missed you.

“always”

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#10126 Jul 14, 2013
Law wrote:
<quoted text>Now what?
Now Shellie goes to trial for perjuring herself while her husband George sat there like a potted plant. Afterward, if those two can still stand to be around one another they move to a place where they can feel safe to go about their lives.

The Justice Department might review the case but it's doubtful that it will pursue a denial of civil rights case. There were no winners in this case...only losers.
tyrone

Bumpass, VA

#10127 Jul 14, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Now Shellie goes to trial for perjuring herself while her husband George sat there like a potted plant. Afterward, if those two can still stand to be around one another they move to a place where they can feel safe to go about their lives.
The Justice Department might review the case but it's doubtful that it will pursue a denial of civil rights case. There were no winners in this case...only losers.
Oh don't be so sure about that....Did you forget about the multimillion dollar Law Suit George Has Against M>S>N>B>C??
Ole Big Mouth Al Sharpton Lying (Changing the 911 Tape) To make George look Guilty?
Law

Bellevue, NE

#10128 Jul 14, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Where the hell have you been? We have missed you.
Trying to keep a low profile.
Law

Bellevue, NE

#10129 Jul 14, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Now Shellie goes to trial for perjuring herself while her husband George sat there like a potted plant. Afterward, if those two can still stand to be around one another they move to a place where they can feel safe to go about their lives.
You might be right but I can't see Holder keeping his mitts off the case. There's going to be enormous pressure on him to look into it.
Tray

Pontotoc, MS

#10130 Jul 14, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
I do agree with no winner here. Trayvon should not have been there but home at his REAL home his mother kicked him out of. George should not have had to patrol looking for thugs. There should have not been a problem with breakins to start with. Trayvon should have been in school working on a real future, not high looking for a gun and idealizing the "Thug Life". This case is not the problem. This case is a symptom of a problem. Our raising of our youth is a problem. Our using any excuse that comes along to feed racism is the problem. I carry and should not have to. I should be able to meet anyone on the street and not worry they are going to attack me for ANY reason. Why do young black men have no real examples of how to grow up? Be a rapper, play sports, be a drug dealer. That's it. More will die. It will be a waste. People will cry. People will blame anything or anyone to keep the blame off them. People will use it for greed. People will wallow in the blood for self serving reasons. No one will do anything to change it. Look in the mirror tonight. Did you do anything to stop the pattern today? Did you try to swallow your pride and reach out today? Or did you feed the hate?

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#10131 Jul 14, 2013
NOT GUILTY, BITCHES!

So now the Martin supporters are demanding that a civil right violation case be brought against Zimmerman buy the US attorney general. Only one problem with that. He was found NOT GUILTY of murder-2 or manslaughter because HE WAS LAWFULLY DEFENDING HIMSELF AGAINST A VIOLENT ATTACK.

LET. IT GO.
Well

York, PA

#10132 Jul 14, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
NOT GUILTY, BITCHES!
So now the Martin supporters are demanding that a civil right violation case be brought against Zimmerman buy the US attorney general. Only one problem with that. He was found NOT GUILTY of murder-2 or manslaughter because HE WAS LAWFULLY DEFENDING HIMSELF AGAINST A VIOLENT ATTACK.
LET. IT GO.
Unfortunately, it is not that simple. If the US justice department decides he violated Martin's civil rights, Zimmerman faces a whole new trial. According to the reports I have read, he could even receive the death penalty and there is no double jeopardy. Additionally, he can be sued in civil court like OJ Simpson, and if they win, big dollars could be awarded. There is a real risk that Zimmerman's legal issues will continue for several years...
John law

Charlotte, NC

#10133 Jul 14, 2013
Im glad that punk got popped. He was a jailbird in the making. Too bad all you losers who hate white people.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#10134 Jul 15, 2013
Well wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, it is not that simple. If the US justice department decides he violated Martin's civil rights, Zimmerman faces a whole new trial. According to the reports I have read, he could even receive the death penalty and there is no double jeopardy. Additionally, he can be sued in civil court like OJ Simpson, and if they win, big dollars could be awarded. There is a real risk that Zimmerman's legal issues will continue for several years...
WTH are you talking about with the death penalty??? And what reports? Got any links???

This was NOT a capital crime trial. Nor would a civil trial. The justice department has been investigating this thing for over a year, and even said FROM THE BEGINNING that this was not a racial issue.

Why do you think the prosecution didn't bring up Zimmerman's past regarding the scuffle in the bar or the mutual restraining orders between him and his ex?? Why didn't they have Martin's father testify about who's voice it was screaming on the tape??? His father initially said it was NOT his son screaming on the tape, only to change his mind later when he realized it didn't help his son's case. If the prosecution had wanted to dive into Zimmerman's past, that would have opened Trayvon's past for scrutiny as well which the prosecution did NOT want to happen.

And what "big dollars" are you talking about. Zimmerman has no money. And as my grandad use to say....you can't get blood from a turnip.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dem senator won't back concealed carry push Sat USAUSAUSA 7
News Bristol Palin is engaged (May '15) May 25 berettabone 71
News OK County acting sheriff: Let's keep working to... May 24 rationalchaos 3
News Joe The Plumber Stands By Shocking Holocaust Ch... (Jun '12) May 15 swedenforever 10
News "Open carry" bill shot down May 14 lifeisshort 72
News Concealed Carry on Campus: Why I Resigned From ... May 14 Say What 4
News Boom! Concealed Carrier Stops a Massacre Be Cra... May 14 jimwildrickjr 2
More from around the web