Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws

Mar 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Bloomberg

The Justice Department opened an investigation this week into the killing of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old high school student who was shot dead on Feb.

Comments
9,441 - 9,460 of 9,570 Comments Last updated Mar 21, 2014
Menards

Thorofare, NJ

#10104 Jul 11, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text>The links have all been provided I can't help you can't read or keep up. The felonies are important because they show he has been given a pass 3 times for being black, not racism but fact even the school police chief was fired for it. If he was manufacturing drugs and selling and providing them to minors then that is an ongoing felony and criminal activity so yes the phone records are important as to give credit to Georges assessment of a suspicious person as was his assessment the suspicious person was on drugs (which you denied before but proven as a fact). If the state has enough evidence then why ask for the lesser charges? Check the court record idiot %95 FOR the state. Cry all you want but the case is seen for what it is. Lies reverse racism, attempt to ignore facts or truth because a thug got what he deserved and save the race card. Your race card is dead. No one is big enough fool to keep buying this. Given enough rope you have hung yourself. Ha ha ha. No matter how this case turns out it served the purpose of letting Jackson, Sharpton, Lee, TNBP, Obama and you show your real agenda. The King has no clothes. I hope you enjoyed the free ride, it's over.
I'm sorry who's crying?

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#10105 Jul 11, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Except there is nothing "common" about this case ... it’s not just Zimmerman on trial, it’s America’s acceptance of killing “the other”!
So NOW you are trying to make this WAY more than it really is????? America on trial????? I guess I must have missed the part where they had Uncle Sam and the Statue of Liberty in court as Zimmerman's co-defendants.

If you want to look at "the other", it really is not all that hard to do. The weekend that they were protesting in Miami, there was a drive by shooting that killed 2 and injured 10- all African American, perpetrated by African Americans. In Chicago, the same weekend, 25 people were shot and 2 of them were killed. Again, African-American. NOBODY protested those shootings. They were done by brothers. You know, the African American shooter gang bangers who NO ONE will turn in. Instead, they turn their anger outward towards a "white hispanic" and get an arrest for someone where there was NO evidence to support that arrest. Even the deposed police chief of Sanford said that the arrests were politically motivated. You watch-all of those "nice" people- those "non-criminals" will go bonkers and riot when there is no conviction. MORE people will die. Some will be killed by police. Some will be killed by shop owners. Some will be killed in the fires that are set by arsonists who are their neighbors. and NO ONE will turn in those that are responsible for all of the death and destruction of property. If the African-American community wanted to stop these killings, they could do so simply by becoming neighborhood watch people themselves, reporting suspicious persons or activities and letting the authorities know when they have information about someone who has committed a crime. None of us know what happened that night. Did Trayvon start it? Did Zimmerman start it? We do not know. In America, that is known as "reasonable doubt", which is why Zimmerman will not be convicted. In America, you have a right to defend yourself with lethal force if you believe that your life is in danger.

Location hidden

#10106 Jul 11, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, yeah, yeah, first degree murder, Casey Anthony___rape, Willie Smith and on and on and on.
Pay attention...in a SYG hearing the person claiming self defense "must" testify and stand cross exam in front of a judge. In a straight self defense case it is not required for the person charged to testify but "rare" when they don't. Most persons claiming self defense don't have the baggage that George has and most persons claiming self defense don't have the Sanford PD's screw ups standing in the way of a fair and just outcome.
This is NOT a stand your ground case. It is a self defense case. If Zimmerman had an opportunity to retreat once being hit and did not avail himself of that opportunity, then it would be a SYG case. And no, there is NEVER a case in America where the defendant "must" testify. It is up to the prosecution to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
http://okdefense.com/pros-cons-defendant-test...
Now, if you are able to provide links as to where you got your information from, specifically where he "must" testify, I would be happy to read them. Also, the Sanford PD is not on trial here. I will also remind you that Trayvon had baggage too. Fights, drugs, wanting to get guns, school suspensions, trying to look like a gang-banger. Of course, that baggage had nothing to do with what happened that night, just like Zimmerman's baggage had nothing to do with what happened that night. So what if Zimmerman wanted to be a cop? So what if he had training in fighting? It all comes down to a few minutes where no one can say for sure what happened and any statements to the contrary are just supposition- which definitely falls into the category of "reasonable doubt". The prosecutor has to convince all 6 jurors. The defense only has to convince one.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#10107 Jul 11, 2013
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>So NOW you are trying to make this WAY more than it really is????? America on trial????? I guess I must have missed the part where they had Uncle Sam and the Statue of Liberty in court as Zimmerman's co-defendants.
If you want to look at "the other", it really is not all that hard to do. The weekend that they were protesting in Miami, there was a drive by shooting that killed 2 and injured 10- all African American, perpetrated by African Americans. In Chicago, the same weekend, 25 people were shot and 2 of them were killed. Again, African-American. NOBODY protested those shootings. They were done by brothers. You know, the African American shooter gang bangers who NO ONE will turn in. Instead, they turn their anger outward towards a "white hispanic" and get an arrest for someone where there was NO evidence to support that arrest. Even the deposed police chief of Sanford said that the arrests were politically motivated. You watch-all of those "nice" people- those "non-criminals" will go bonkers and riot when there is no conviction. MORE people will die. Some will be killed by police. Some will be killed by shop owners. Some will be killed in the fires that are set by arsonists who are their neighbors. and NO ONE will turn in those that are responsible for all of the death and destruction of property. If the African-American community wanted to stop these killings, they could do so simply by becoming neighborhood watch people themselves, reporting suspicious persons or activities and letting the authorities know when they have information about someone who has committed a crime. None of us know what happened that night. Did Trayvon start it? Did Zimmerman start it? We do not know. In America, that is known as "reasonable doubt", which is why Zimmerman will not be convicted. In America, you have a right to defend yourself with lethal force if you believe that your life is in danger.
Huh? What insane drivel - what the f***?

“always”

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#10110 Jul 12, 2013
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
This is NOT a stand your ground case. It is a self defense case. If Zimmerman had an opportunity to retreat once being hit and did not avail himself of that opportunity, then it would be a SYG case. And no, there is NEVER a case in America where the defendant "must" testify. It is up to the prosecution to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
http://okdefense.com/pros-cons-defendant-test...
Now, if you are able to provide links as to where you got your information from, specifically where he "must" testify, I would be happy to read them. Also, the Sanford PD is not on trial here. I will also remind you that Trayvon had baggage too. Fights, drugs, wanting to get guns, school suspensions, trying to look like a gang-banger. Of course, that baggage had nothing to do with what happened that night, just like Zimmerman's baggage had nothing to do with what happened that night. So what if Zimmerman wanted to be a cop? So what if he had training in fighting? It all comes down to a few minutes where no one can say for sure what happened and any statements to the contrary are just supposition- which definitely falls into the category of "reasonable doubt". The prosecutor has to convince all 6 jurors. The defense only has to convince one.
You clueless schmuck, I never said George must testify, what I said was, please pay attention now, is that in an affirmative defense-self defense the person charged usually testifies and stands cross exam and that not testifying raises the jurors suspicions. In George's case he appeared on Hannity to tell his story to the nation but won't sit in a courtroom and tell it to six jurors?

His attorney's won't let him testify because George can't be trusted to be truthful.

Location hidden

#10111 Jul 12, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>You clueless schmuck, I never said George must testify, what I said was, please pay attention now, is that in an affirmative defense-self defense the person charged usually testifies and stands cross exam and that not testifying raises the jurors suspicions. In George's case he appeared on Hannity to tell his story to the nation but won't sit in a courtroom and tell it to six jurors?
His attorney's won't let him testify because George can't be trusted to be truthful.
His side of the story has already been told to the jurors. The prosecution did not prove it's case. Therefore, there is no reason to have Zimmerman testify. I know YOU would like to see him testify, because YOU have nerves of steel and YOU would not change your story one iota after an event that would be traumatic to almost everyone else. That type of trauma causes people to remember things a little differently and relate them a little differently every time it is told. Of course, that would not happen to YOU and that is why YOU discounted the testimony of the defense witness who addressed this very issue. And of course YOU, being the brilliant person that YOU are would have no problem answering the prosecution questions that are designed to trip YOU up because as we all know here, YOU are perfect. I'll bet God even takes lessons from YOU.

Location hidden

#10112 Jul 12, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>You clueless schmuck,
Oh, by the way, I really liked how the argument YOU made started out with a statement that showed that YOU were at the top of the intellectual food chain. I'll bet all the girls just swoon to hear YOUR opinion while YOU sit at the bar giving YOUR scholarly opinion on everything that YOU consider to be the events of the day.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#10113 Jul 12, 2013
The jury is now in deliberation.

Bottom line.......the prosecution did NOT prove their case beyond reasonable doubt.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#10114 Jul 13, 2013
Tray

Oxford, MS

#10115 Jul 13, 2013
Tray wrote:
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com /news/local/1-Dead-4-Hurt-in-S hooting-at-Teen-Girls-Birthday -Party-215364471.html
Just another day in the hood. Too bad no hispanic white guy to blame it on.
2nd Amendment

Charleston, WV

#10117 Jul 13, 2013
All I have to say is if OJ got away with murder then Zimmerman should get away with self defense from an aggressive thug with a history of fighting!
MIbowhunter

Muskegon, MI

#10118 Jul 13, 2013
Not guilty. Justice was served.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#10119 Jul 13, 2013
MIbowhunter wrote:
Not guilty. Justice was served.
Free at last, free at last, thank God, free at last.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#10120 Jul 13, 2013
Public gun possession and self defense are protected again.
Law

La Vista, NE

#10121 Jul 13, 2013
A Citizen Soldier wrote:
<quoted text>It looks like we're going to be on different pages until this case reaches an official conclusion.
I'm usually not one for gut reactions but my gut tells me that Zimmerman, this case, and the Sanford Police Department all reek to high heaven.
I know what I've read in the media.
Care to provide links that back up what you just stated?
I would love to read them.
What I read is this....
Zimmerman has a prior record for assaulting an officer.
Trayvon had no prior record and was an A and B student
I'm leaning towards Zimmerman being the thug.
Yes, chances are that most gun carriers on this forum would be carrying while on an errand but most gun carriers would not follow a kid and engage in a confrontation....especially when the kid was doing nothing...repeat...nothing wrong. If we all did that, the streets really would be filled with blood. Now if the kid was beating someone up or about to kill someone...then... and only then...would I even consider engaging the suspect.
Trayvon died because Zimmerman "thought" he "looked" suspicious.
Add to that the reports I've read that stated Zimmerman called 911/non emergency 911 dozens of times just since this January. Zimmerman was trying to find a problem or create a problem.
Now what?
Law

La Vista, NE

#10122 Jul 13, 2013
menards wrote:
<quoted text>
George Zimmerman is anything but innocent.
Is that what the jury said?
Law

La Vista, NE

#10123 Jul 13, 2013
Fry Zimmerman wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you buy a crystal ball and take up tarot cards you mnight want to get a grip and undderstand it's not a far reach to see that Trayvon was defending himself agains an unknown pursuer.
You're going to get an education in June you dumbass...LOL!!!
You just got schooled, douchenozzle!!!

“"Stand and Fight"”

Since: Sep 10

United States

#10124 Jul 14, 2013
@ "Fry Zimmerman"/ Zimmerman is free. Live with it.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#10125 Jul 14, 2013
Law wrote:
<quoted text>Is that what the jury said?
Where the hell have you been? We have missed you.

“always”

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#10126 Jul 14, 2013
Law wrote:
<quoted text>Now what?
Now Shellie goes to trial for perjuring herself while her husband George sat there like a potted plant. Afterward, if those two can still stand to be around one another they move to a place where they can feel safe to go about their lives.

The Justice Department might review the case but it's doubtful that it will pursue a denial of civil rights case. There were no winners in this case...only losers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 23 min Squach 10,264
A 9-year-old girl, a fatal Uzi accident and a r... 15 hr IvoryLovesEbony 2
Joe Miller: 'If 20 million illegals vote, you c... 15 hr Juan 104
3 year old shoots AR and survives 16 hr Tory II 1
First Grade Primer Wed Cry Ola 2
Texas Gov. Rick Perry Is No Longer Permitted to... Wed Justice Served Well 1
The Darwin Awards Wed Arthur Itis 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Guns People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••