Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws

There are 20 comments on the Bloomberg story from Mar 20, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws. In it, Bloomberg reports that:

The Justice Department opened an investigation this week into the killing of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old high school student who was shot dead on Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bloomberg.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#9209 Jun 7, 2013
menards wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! READ THE TRANSCRIPT FOOL! WHO ANSWERED THE PHONE?!?!
The dispatcher (the police stations equivilent to a switchboard operator)....not a cop.

“always”

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#9210 Jun 7, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
A municipal employee known as a telephone operator answered the phone.
If one calls a doctor's office is the secretary that answers the phone, a doctor?
Is the janitor employed by the Stanford Police Department, also a cop?
Sanford without a T. The phone was answered by a police dispatcher which is not a 911 operator or a janitor or a doctors office receptionist.

That's probably why they're called police dispatchers.

After a year I was thinking you dummies would have moved beyond what the dispatcher advised George to do. George didn't take the guy's advice anyway did he? The exact time that George disconnected with the dispatcher is known and the exact time the 911 disturbance call came is known. Guess what?

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#9211 Jun 7, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
A municipal employee known as a telephone operator answered the phone.
If one calls a doctor's office is the secretary that answers the phone, a doctor?
Is the janitor employed by the Stanford Police Department, also a cop?
Again, read the transcript. 1st line, so you dont get lost.

Sanford Police Department...

Location hidden

#9212 Jun 7, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
The dispatcher (the police stations equivilent to a switchboard operator)....not a cop.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#9213 Jun 7, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Sanford without a T. The phone was answered by a police dispatcher which is not a 911 operator or a janitor or a doctors office receptionist.
That's probably why they're called police dispatchers.
After a year I was thinking you dummies would have moved beyond what the dispatcher advised George to do. George didn't take the guy's advice anyway did he? The exact time that George disconnected with the dispatcher is known and the exact time the 911 disturbance call came is known. Guess what?
Advice from a dispatcher is NOT a lawful order.
You are correct.
Advice CAN be ignored.
It was.
Thanks for pointing that out.
<smile>

Location hidden

#9214 Jun 7, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> It is slander if you can't prove your claim. Can you personally prove "murder"? Can you prove you claim of molestation? No police charges of molestation has been filed so you might want to be careful on that one too.
LOL!

Location hidden

#9215 Jun 7, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Trayvon was partaking in ASSAULT and BATTERY,(an illegal activity).
Speaking of lies..... Can you personally >PROVE< this statement? The official record states there is no evidence that Trayvon committed any crimes the night he was murdered. Better call the Zimmerhead defense team, the trial starts monday!
Tray wrote:
<quoted text>
If you must lie and twist facts then you don't have a case to start with.
LOL! Comming from a Zimmerhead, this is hilarius! According to you Zimmerman has no case!

Location hidden

#9216 Jun 7, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct.
Advice CAN be ignored.
It was.
<smile>
And, apparantly, by ignoring the advice of a police dispatcher, one can find themselves facing life in prison. <smile>! I sure hope he's been in contact with the Ese's for some protection, Florida Supermax is no joke. Plus it looks like he put on a good 30-40lbs. More cushin' for the pushin', if you know what I mean.

Southeast Virginia

#9217 Jun 7, 2013
menards wrote:
<quoted text>
What of it? I have read the transcript and listened to the audio file MANY times.

What part of "the dispatcher is NOT a cop" can you NOT comprehend??

"We don't need you to do that" is NOT an order. And even if one was given, Zimmerman would be under NO OBLIGATION to follow any order given from a DISPATCHER.

Southeast Virginia

#9218 Jun 7, 2013
menards wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of lies..... Can you personally >PROVE< this statement? The official record states there is no evidence that Trayvon committed any crimes the night he was murdered. Better call the Zimmerhead defense team, the trial starts monday!
<quoted text>
LOL! Comming from a Zimmerhead, this is hilarius! According to you Zimmerman has no case!
LOL!
What "official record" would that be???
Gotta link?

Location hidden

#9219 Jun 7, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
What "official record" would that be???
Gotta link?
Michael Jackson's "Thriller"?

Location hidden

#9220 Jun 7, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct.
Advice CAN be ignored.
It was.
<smile>
menards wrote:
<quoted text>
And, apparantly, by ignoring the advice of a police dispatcher, one can find themselves facing life in prison.
Yep, sure enough.

It's a mystery how you figured that out.
<smile>

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#9221 Jun 7, 2013
menards wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to develop some self-respect.

Southeast Virginia

#9222 Jun 7, 2013
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>You need to develop some self-respect.
Baby steps. How about he start with some intellectual honesty first?

“always”

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#9223 Jun 7, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct.
Advice CAN be ignored.
It was.
<smile>
Coming from a guy who's been misspelling Sanford for over a year it doesn't surprise me that you agree.

George said. "OK," disconnected, and then continued pursuing the hooded intruder for a period of time. The periods of time are known, the distances are known. None of George's stories fit.

The reason they don't fit is that they're contrived.

You're just another turd without a clue who is only here to talk trash.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#9225 Jun 7, 2013
menards wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
If George ignored a lawful order from a police officer then why is he not charged with that also? Once again George does not have to prove anything the state does. I don't have to prove anything because I'm not making claims not backed by the facts (which are proven). An eye witness proves Trayvon committed the crime of assault and battery with intent that night (George) and untill you can prove otherwise his statement stands as evidence (along with his injuries which is physical evidence not just his word). Unless the state wants to claim the injuries were self inflicted (ha ha ha) or someone else was present and caused them then they must acknowledge Trayvon caused them. As reported by the press the judge ORDERED the state not to make claims they can't prove including "police ordered George not to follow". You don't like it? Tell it to the judge.

“Hereeeeee'ssss UR Pizza”

Since: May 13

Columbus, OH

#9226 Jun 7, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> If George ignored a lawful order from a police officer then why is he not charged with that also? Once again George does not have to prove anything the state does. I don't have to prove anything because I'm not making claims not backed by the facts (which are proven). An eye witness proves Trayvon committed the crime of assault and battery with intent that night (George) and untill you can prove otherwise his statement stands as evidence (along with his injuries which is physical evidence not just his word). Unless the state wants to claim the injuries were self inflicted (ha ha ha) or someone else was present and caused them then they must acknowledge Trayvon caused them. As reported by the press the judge ORDERED the state not to make claims they can't prove including "police ordered George not to follow". You don't like it? Tell it to the judge.
Wishing U a speedy recovery Tray.

Next time don't bring your fists to a gun fight.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#9227 Jun 7, 2013
menards wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Dispatcher
That's the clubhouse, do you know what the-he's near the clubhouse right now?
Zimmerman
Yeah, now he's coming towards me..........At this point George is still in his truck and is being approached by a stranger, so by your claim he could have attacked Trayvon at that point?
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#9228 Jun 7, 2013
George Zimmerman's 911 call transcribed

Trayvon Martin Shooting
March 24, 2012
By: Isabelle Zehnder
Subscribe

Trayvon Martin, 17, right, allegedly shot and killed by George Zimmerman, 28, right - Florida
Trayvon Martin, 17, right, allegedly shot and killed by George Zimmerman, 28, right - Florida
Credits:
Police
0 Email
Top News newsletter

SANFORD, Florida (Isabelle Zehnder reporting)-- Moments before 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was shot and killed by 28-year-old self-proclaimed neighborhood watch captain, George Zimmerman, Zimmerman made a call to 911 which is transcribed below.