Tadd deserves exemption now for next ...

Tadd deserves exemption now for next year - Sports

There are 17 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jan 19, 2009, titled Tadd deserves exemption now for next year - Sports. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Maybe it's not normal policy. But do it anyway -- change the rules if you must, Sony Open boss-people. Give Tadd Fujikawa an exemption for next year's tournament, right now.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Fifty something

Honolulu, HI

#1 Jan 19, 2009
Let's see if the conservative standards of Japanese PR can overcome penalizing the son (Tad) for his father's faults. I've heard from several sources that Tad lost all of his Japan contracts after his father's situation was made public. Is this why he was not given an exemption for the Sony this year? The Sony Corporation lost over a billion dollars last year. You think Tad's performance and nationwide coverage helped sell a few TV sets?
Robin Hood

Makawao, HI

#2 Jan 19, 2009
He's a pro golfer. Pros don't beg for exemptions. They earn it.
Hand Outs

Honolulu, HI

#4 Jan 19, 2009
Apparently Dave Reardon (the article's author) didn't learn from past history.

Getting a sponsor exemption irks not only the professional golfers who earned a spot to play, but polarizes fans who either support or blast the exempted player.

The exempted player must then defend his or her status, taking a psychological toll on the player's ability to concentrate on just the game at hand.

Tadd did it the right way! He can earn his way into tournaments.

Having a newspaper reporter beg for his exempt status is sad and off-line.
Killa Wiffa

AOL

#5 Jan 19, 2009
What kind of exemption? A height exemption????????
alice

Honolulu, HI

#6 Jan 19, 2009
Robin Hood is right. Wie made a fool of Hawaiia dn her family by begging for exemptions. Tadd is a much higher quality person. He will wnat to earn his exemption.
omg

Honolulu, HI

#7 Jan 19, 2009
alice wrote:
Robin Hood is right. Wie made a fool of Hawaiia dn her family by begging for exemptions. Tadd is a much higher quality person. He will wnat to earn his exemption.
Wie didn't beg. Sponsors loved her because she was a draw. Golf is all about $. They're always thinking, why take the 150th ranked person who brings no interest over Michelle, who will draw thousands of spectators and millions of TV viewers? But that was then, when she was a phenom. She didn't embarrass HI then.
omg

Honolulu, HI

#8 Jan 19, 2009
It was refreshing to see Tadd be the Monday qualifier and do so well. He went the right route. He has to experience more of those pressure-filled Sundays to become better. Go, Tadd!
lack of talent

San Diego, CA

#9 Jan 19, 2009
"Small local biased thinking" like this makes Hawaii the butt of jokes for the rest of the USA. Tadd decided he was good enough to be a pro golfer, let him prove it. To fall apart on his "home turf" with everything on the line certainly doesn't speak well for his physical or mental toughness.
omg

Honolulu, HI

#11 Jan 19, 2009
lack of talent wrote:
"Small local biased thinking" like this makes Hawaii the butt of jokes for the rest of the USA. Tadd decided he was good enough to be a pro golfer, let him prove it. To fall apart on his "home turf" with everything on the line certainly doesn't speak well for his physical or mental toughness.
As I recall (when Tadd decided to go pro), it was for financial reasons. He was relying on sponsors and exemptions to get into tournaments for the experience. His family did not have the financial means to take him here and there and pay entry fees (unlike the Wies). He has a long way to go, but I can see progress. Yup he needs the mental toughness part because Mental affects the Physical. He can't keep saying, "It wasn't meant to be." He has to make it happen by being mentally tough. You can't do well on the Tour just relying on "mojo."
Auwe

Kailua, HI

#12 Jan 19, 2009
Robin Hood wrote:
He's a pro golfer. Pros don't beg for exemptions. They earn it.
I don't hear Tadd begging for one!

Since: Apr 08

Kaneohe

#13 Jan 19, 2009
Exemption? Why? To set up Tadd just like Michelle?

If Tadd keeps improving he won't need an exemption. If he doesn't, then he is not ready and should not compete.

P.S. I don't think Reardon is serious here. He knows what he is saying and he knows the Wie critics are going to unload both barrels at him.

He is just trying to stir the pot.
Robin Hood

Makawao, HI

#14 Jan 19, 2009
Auwe wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't hear Tadd begging for one!
Never said Tadd was begging. Ask him. He'd rather earn it. Like a ... pro.
Westside Wind

Honolulu, HI

#15 Jan 19, 2009
Killa Wiffa wrote:
What kind of exemption? A height exemption????????
Mental health exemption is what you got, right!!!
no act, right???
Dave

Kaneohe, HI

#18 Jan 19, 2009
Can we calm down the craziness before we all go apecrap again over another golfer like we all did for Michelle Wie who has yet to show us her potential.

I cringe when I read a sentence talking about the significance of a 32nd place finish. It's not significant.
omg 2

Honolulu, HI

#19 Jan 19, 2009
dont let the fujikawa family fool you all...they have $$$$$... they are the owners of a large honolulu construction company....
Auwe

Kailua, HI

#20 Jan 20, 2009
omg 2 wrote:
dont let the fujikawa family fool you all...they have $$$$$... they are the owners of a large honolulu construction company....
soooooo what?
socalgawfer

Trabuco Canyon, CA

#21 Jan 22, 2009
How about just giving the kid credit for EARNING his spot and playing great?
I am against most sponsor exemptions, but am happy for the kid. By earning his spot, he also earns a lot of respect. Way to go

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shigeki Maruyama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ishikawa fires record 58 to win in Japan (May '10) May '10 ARCOBALENO 1
News No Tiger Woods, but life goes on for the PGA Tour (Jan '10) Jan '10 Eddie 1
News Tadd deserves exemption now for next year - Fur... (Jan '09) Jan '09 Bob 1
News Tadd takes his best shot - Sports (Jan '09) Jan '09 mjblaser 2
News Marketing reason to make athletes speak English (Aug '08) Aug '08 erthorn 1
News Coverage not concern for rising golfer Ryuji Imada (Mar '08) Mar '08 Jim 1
More from around the web