Rory Mcilroy: More Talent than Tiger?

Rory Mcilroy: More Talent than Tiger?

There are 8 comments on the The Sand Trap story from Dec 8, 2011, titled Rory Mcilroy: More Talent than Tiger?. In it, The Sand Trap reports that:

""I know Tiger is very, very close and obviously I think Tiger's work ethic has always been tremendous, and his mindset, as well.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sand Trap.

Maynard in Bluegrass

Wellington, TX

#1 Dec 8, 2011
Luke Donald never played Tiger Woods in 2000. Making a comparison between McIlroy and Woods is one of those traps that golf media likes to create. TW wins a tournament and all of a sudden there is this comparison analysis going on, ridiculous. Not long ago there was always this thing of trying to create a rivalry between Woods and Michelson. That has stopped due to Michelson's inconsistent play. I find it interesting, however, that with Wood's being nearly 36 someone still wants to compare him with young McIlroy. No one ever tried to compare Woods with Nicholas in that way. The comparison has always been Woods trying to win more tournaments or majors than Nicholas. It's always been left up to history to determine which was/is the best ever. Let McIlroy play for a few years and then open a dialogue of McIlroy vs Woods based on consistent play.
Bert

Detroit, MI

#2 Dec 8, 2011
Lets give Luke and Rory the next 10 years and we'll see how many victories and majors they have between them. My bet is that Tiger would still be way ahead even if he never wins again. This proposition even ignores the likelihood that many of the wins they get will be European Tour not PGA. I am a fan of both Rory and Luke, but neither is in the same class as Tiger.
LJM

Spring Hill, TN

#3 Dec 8, 2011
Luke Donald's assertion that Rory McIlroy has more 'talent' than Tiger Woods is beyond ridiculous. All I say is this...While it's true that the Chevron Tournament is an end-of-season event with a smaller (yet still deep) field, the fact that Tiger won with what is now his FOURTH (4th) different golf swing since turning pro is a feat unmatched. NO ONE can equal that kind of talent...not even wonderboy Rory McIlroy.
redrum

Lake George, NY

#4 Dec 9, 2011
Maynard in Bluegrass wrote:
Luke Donald never played Tiger Woods in 2000. Making a comparison between McIlroy and Woods is one of those traps that golf media likes to create. TW wins a tournament and all of a sudden there is this comparison analysis going on, ridiculous. Not long ago there was always this thing of trying to create a rivalry between Woods and Michelson. That has stopped due to Michelson's inconsistent play. I find it interesting, however, that with Wood's being nearly 36 someone still wants to compare him with young McIlroy. No one ever tried to compare Woods with Nicholas in that way. The comparison has always been Woods trying to win more tournaments or majors than Nicholas. It's always been left up to history to determine which was/is the best ever. Let McIlroy play for a few years and then open a dialogue of McIlroy vs Woods based on consistent play.
Read much? Michelson has slowed down with a type of arthritis he has to live with.
Maynard in Bluegrass

Campbellsville, KY

#5 Dec 13, 2011
redrum wrote:
<quoted text>Read much? Michelson has slowed down with a type of arthritis he has to live with.
Come on, folks have been making excuses for michelson for years, long before the arthitis issue. Yes, I do read and still don't think Phils lack of wins can be excused by arthritis. If it a problem perhaps he should retire. As long as a guy tees the ball in a tournament he's fair game for scrutiny, right redrum!
redrum

Lake George, NY

#6 Dec 14, 2011
<quoted text>
Come on, folks have been making excuses for michelson for years, long before the arthitis issue. Yes, I do read and still don't think Phils lack of wins can be excused by arthritis. If it a problem perhaps he should retire. As long as a guy tees the ball in a tournament he's fair game for scrutiny, right redrum!
Ya, ok what ever you say. But don't forget the 3 jackets 04,06,10,MASTERS,.He is ranked 14 over all, and 3rd in money, lets see now how would you like to have made 63.4 million in your life.I must say Well Done.right Maynard.
Maynard in Bluegrass

Ashland, KY

#7 Dec 16, 2011
redrum wrote:
<quoted text>Ya, ok what ever you say. But don't forget the 3 jackets 04,06,10,MASTERS,.He is ranked 14 over all, and 3rd in money, lets see now how would you like to have made 63.4 million in your life.I must say Well Done.right Maynard.
##########
Michelson has had a decent record, no one was denying that but you were the one that made the excuse of his arthritis, not me. I still say that any pro golfer that is active is open to scrutiny which includes Phil Michelson. You disagree, redrum? If so, why?
redrum

Lake George, NY

#8 Dec 16, 2011
<quoted text>
##########
Michelson has had a decent record, no one was denying that but you were the one that made the excuse of his arthritis, not me. I still say that any pro golfer that is active is open to scrutiny which includes Phil Michelson. You disagree, redrum? If so, why?
No i dont Maynard, I just know that players have there good days and there bad days. Do you play golf Maynard? Just wondering, I have been playing for about 30 years and i know my game isn't any where it was 30 years ago. I use to hit a good ball but that was a wile ago.No excuses JMO,I still tee up but the 200+ yard drives are not there,Good point on your opinion though,Have a good one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Luke Donald Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Golf Glance (Jul '16) Jul '16 curious 1
News Time honoured French Open next in Europe (Jul '13) Jun '14 Jean Charles 2
News Tiger competing against his past (Sep '13) Sep '13 LORIN JOHN 1
News Tiger Woods gets off to a painful start in the ... (Jun '13) Jul '13 Power Fade 2
News Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Th... (Jun '13) Jul '13 Power Fade 2
News Highly-ranked British golfers seeking 1st Maste... (Apr '13) Apr '13 My Portal 1
News McIlroy, Tiger paired at Doral (Mar '13) Mar '13 The Wiz 1
More from around the web