Memorial Tournament: Sponsor concerns are part of today's tour | Th...

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

The Memorial Tournament will be staged for the 35th time this week - and presented on television for possibly the last time by Morgan Stanley, the principal sponsor for the past seven years.
Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated May 30, 2010
PGA fan

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Judged:

All these sponsors should be concerned. They continue to sponsor PGA events that Tiger enters. Some day, people will learn that Tiger Woods is a disgrace and an embarrassment to the PGA and all their sponsors. The fans of the Memorial in Dublin should all be embarrassed and disgraced that Tiger is playing in your field next week. This is a total EMBARRASSMENT to all of golf !!!!!!!!!!
seen it all

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Judged:

These tournaments may show millions brought into a community but what they don't show is where the money went. All to often it funds a non-profit organization that will have 6 figure CEO's and high paid staff. These are the people being given preferential treatment at golf and other sporting venues. You don't see the "Average Joe" in the sky boxes. A small portion of the monies raised ever makes it to the "street" where it is needed. The people on top will all to often feel entitled to the high pay and not be concerned with the original focus of the agency. Once again, greed is destroying our culture, but try explaining that to someone with an out of control ego.
IM SO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Judged:

Tiger Woods has NOTHING to do with Morgan Stanley's contract ending and the PGA having to look or seek a new top dollar sponsor. To PGA Fan, keep it real and just say you don't like the fact that Tiger has decided to play. That's your real truth.
common sense

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Yawn. Look, some people are widly successful, other are not. Quit yer whinin'
seen it all wrote:
These tournaments may show millions brought into a community but what they don't show is where the money went. All to often it funds a non-profit organization that will have 6 figure CEO's and high paid staff. These are the people being given preferential treatment at golf and other sporting venues. You don't see the "Average Joe" in the sky boxes. A small portion of the monies raised ever makes it to the "street" where it is needed. The people on top will all to often feel entitled to the high pay and not be concerned with the original focus of the agency. Once again, greed is destroying our culture, but try explaining that to someone with an out of control ego.
Parasite Government

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Meh, pro sports is, for the most part, a loser's bet for sponsors. Has anyone really bought Nationwide Insurance because their name is on the arena? All it does is allow athletes to be grossly overpaid - a fool and their money, so to speak.

I stopped paying attention to the Memorial when Jack stopped playing. I wouldn't go even if I got free tickets (unless it included access to a hospitality house with food and beverage, of course)
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

It seems to me that sports get outsized attention in comparison to their actual level of interest. I think you have your core people of sports nuts out there, but most people can take them or leave them. Look at the ratings of most sports on TV. Except for big events, what are they 10 % or 20 % of TV sets, max? That means 80% of people don't care.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Joe Ogilvie Discussions

Search the Joe Ogilvie Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PGA Tour changes inevitable, details to follow (Feb '12) Feb '12 Justlookingup 1
Pressure cooker on tap at PGA Tour Q School (Nov '10) Nov '10 socalga 1
Bertsch takes Hope Classic lead (Jan '10) Jan '10 Eddie 1
Wie misses Reno-Tahoe Open cut; McLachlin's 62 ... (Aug '08) Aug '08 PhilB 1
No title (Jun '08) Jun '08 tramky 1
Woods certainly not the life of his party (Jul '07) Jul '07 OldManGrump 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••