Will golf in the Olympics open sport to new fan base?

There are 2 comments on the Desert Sun story from Mar 9, 2012, titled Will golf in the Olympics open sport to new fan base?. In it, Desert Sun reports that:

The folks in charge of putting together a golf course in Brazil for the 2016 Olympics finally announced this week who will build the course.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Desert Sun.

Gumchewr

Attleboro, MA

#1 Mar 9, 2012
I am disappointed that yet again, the Olympics is open to professional athletes. Why aren't ALL Olympic events open to professionals?
Watching pro-golfers compete does not inspire me to play golf any more or less. However, watching amateur golfers aspire to the heights of Olympic greatness would certainly lead me to fantasize the possibility that I too could compete in the Olympics someday (if I weren't already 63 years old). Even though Olympic athletes compete at an elite level, there is still room for those less elite in ability to compete. Not so if pros are allowed to take over as they seem to be doing.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#2 Mar 10, 2012
Are there really amatuers left in the Olympics??? If so how do they travel around the world competing in international events??? They are being sponsored. A true amatuer would be paying their expenses out of their own pocket.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greg Norman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who is more responsible for making golf as popu... (Apr '14) Apr 9 Suezanne 5
News Couples to play Australian Open (Nov '09) Mar '15 sharing your wife 2
News Can A Bigger Hole Save Golf? Top PGA Tour Pros ... (Apr '14) Jan '15 scottlouise 5
News Golfer Greg Norman 'damaged' in chainsaw accident (Sep '14) Nov '14 egg 17
News Adam Scott takes over Tiger Woods' No. 1 spot i... (May '14) Jul '14 Liaison 2
News Norman says "probably would have" beaten Tiger (Dec '13) Apr '14 Saved By Zero 4
News Adam Scott wins Australian PGA after 2-hour sto... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Ian Tracy 1
More from around the web