Johnson: Letting Lexi play in LPGA wa...

Johnson: Letting Lexi play in LPGA was wise

There are 5 comments on the ESPN story from Oct 5, 2011, titled Johnson: Letting Lexi play in LPGA was wise. In it, ESPN reports that:

Last week, the LPGA commissioner granted the petition of 16-year-old phenom Lexi Thompson to join the LPGA Tour two years short of its required age minimum.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ESPN.

Thomas

AOL

#1 Oct 7, 2011
I am very hopeful that with the addition of Lexi, coupled with the continued solid performance of Staci, Paula and some of the other young American ladies, the excitement will return to the LPGA. Go girls!

What happened to the Wie supporters? They abandoned ship?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#2 Oct 8, 2011
There's always been excitement in the LPGA. I guess you don't like quality golf and who the next winner will be. Or, you just don't like foreign golfers.
Thomas

League City, TX

#3 Oct 9, 2011
Rich,

The type of excitement that has been discussed here is the type that attracts others, not just die-hard fans like us. The type that attracts new tournaments, instead of losing them, and the type that attracts new endorsements and puts the LPGA on the news.

I do like the foregin players. In fact, those ladies from Korea and other countries have been an amazing addition to the tour. But, the USA does need someone to energize women's golf in this country and you know as well as I do that in order for that to happen, we need an American star. If a young player like Lexi fulfills her potential, that will go a long ways towards making the LPGA a household name for many more people.

'Glad to have one the Wie supporters back.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#4 Oct 9, 2011
Ok, I will go along with this but, besides Lexi, and maybe Wie when she graduates, who else is there. Stacey is still a question and the rest of the players have not stepped up to the plate. It will take a new U S player to do what you would like to see. The current U S players have gotten themselves in a funk and I am not sure that they know how to get out of it. It will be very hard to replace the Koreans, especially Tseng since she is only, I think, 23 yrs old. Lexi will have many many things to learn, overcome etc etc, before she can accomplish what the 'experts' have predicted. A U S foreign player rivalry would be great but there hasn't been one in 15 years????? or so. As I have said many times, tongue in cheek, that when the U S Players go to sleep at night they think about what to wear the next day--The foreign players think about how to play the course. I just don't know why there has been such a gap in the quality of play between the U S and the rest of the world. Hopefully, Lexi will change that but not over night. 2012 will be a learning year for her and 2013 will tell the tale, unless of course, she is another Tiger. Anyway, I am looking forword to 2012/2013 seasons with Lexi, maybe Wie and Stacy, competing with the foreign players and to see if Tseng can keep up her pace.
ajraymond

Peterborough, Canada

#5 Oct 23, 2011
I don't see how Rich continues to think that Wie is better than Creamer Kerr or Lewis. After she graduates? Keep up the talking points Gringo! I think there is a real debate whether Wie is even in the top 5 of American women. Hell is she better than Lincicome,Pressel or Thompson? Questionable at best! Yani is playing at such another level that sometimes you just have to tip your cap. People always seemed to find fault with the other players on the PGA Tour when Tiger Woods was winning all the time but sometimes..... somebody is just too good!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

U.S. Women's Open Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martina Navratilova Marries Julia Lemigova In N... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Ray 1
News U.S. Women's Open at Pinehurst rife with intrigue (Jun '14) Jun '14 Linda 1
News Strange still the last player to win back-to-back (Jun '14) Jun '14 Maggie Gallaghers... 1
News LPGA: Honda Thailand Preview & TV Schedule (Feb '14) Feb '14 ARCOBALENO 1
News Lydia Ko Defends New Zealand Women's Open Title (Jan '14) Jan '14 MEAN JOE GREEN 1
News Park In-bee voted top female golfer (Jan '14) Jan '14 killian 2
News Wie in the spotlight again as a Solheim pick (Aug '13) Aug '13 Keillen 6
More from around the web