The Rules of Golf Are here to Help You

The Rules of Golf Are here to Help You

Posted in the Golf Forum

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Jan 15, 2013
With only Hale Irwin left on the course with a chance to catch Nelford, and standing on the infamous 18th hole it looked all over for Irwin when he hooked his tee shot into the rocks. Here is where the good or bad luck occurred depending on which side of the result you were on. As the ball was heading for the Pacific Ocean it hit a rock at the perfect angle and careened back into play. The subsequent par ensured a play off and eventual win for Hale Irwin. The second thing that halted Nelford in his tracks was a water skiing accident that left him weak and really never allowed him to play to the best of his abilities again. Always a great putter Nelford played right and putted left and has been a great sounding board for many young Canadian golf professionals.

The Canadian Open should be looked upon as a great success for the RCGA and the fortunate fans who got to witness the players and the elegance and beauty of the Hamilton Golf Club. I was somewhat shocked at the play of Ames and Weir, although I did realize that the quality of the course added to the home country pressure would have made it a tough week. Ames was obviously injured and Weir simply missed too many fairways to play such a tough track. Just like any other "major" style set up the course doesn't know or care who you are, it only reacts to how and where your ball ends up.

Jonathan Byrd must feel a little aggrieved but it will bring up great discussion and a few arguments around all the golf clubs of Canada this weekend. Byrd was assessed a two shot penalty after the final round for testing the surface of the bunker on the 9th hole. When I saw it I was certainly surprised at Byrd's routine. He went into the bunker took his stance by digging his feet into the sand, took a couple of practice swings above the sand, then moved into the area where the ball was and played the shot with taylormade rocketballz irons. He chunked the bunker shot out, and then proceeded to get the ball up and down for a "good" bogey or so he thought. As the back nine proceeded and Byrd was in contention he was informed that a rules "situation" had occurred and they were reviewing the tapes.

This is tough for a player, but as he battled on and finished birdie, birdie those were negated by the ruling that he had "tested the surface" in his previous routine with taylormade rbz irons. The subsequent two shots added to the ninth hole took him from 3rd to 5th, and a huge chunk of change. The rules are there to help players and the intent of this rule is that if a player is decidedly taking an unfair advantage it should be penalized, was it in this case well it was a judgment call. I spoke with Mrs. Coutts my "world rules guru" and we had a great discussion, which I always enjoy and learn from. The resultant message was that these judgment calls should reflect the fact that did the player gain an unfair advantage. If he did it is a penalty if he did not no penalty. You make the call, oh what a great game!

More information welcome to http://www.heygolfer.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Golf Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Golf Glance Jul 20 curious 1
News Some images are just too controversial (Jan '08) Jul 11 Tactics 63
News Rory McIlroy's Zika concerns deal further blow ... Jun '16 Love it 1
News Jordan Spieth is filling the void left by Tiger... Jun '16 caltenn11 1
News The U.S. Open proves golf's rule book is a mess Jun '16 Jack 1
News Phil Mickelson and caddie Jim Mackay have the e... Jun '16 jfr927 1
News Michelle Wie, other notables return to Meijer L... Jun '16 This is getting old 1
More from around the web