McIlroy takes humorous jab at Tiger

McIlroy takes humorous jab at Tiger

Posted in the Golf Forum

Since: May 12

Fremont, CA

#1 Aug 28, 2012
Imagine having the stage to yourself in a big interview with the media and you are being asked questions about one of your rivals. But then your rival walks in the back door. Hes not there to cause a scene or to make you feel uncomfortable. But youre probably nervous and a little self-conscious about talking about your rival with him in the same room.
That was Rory McIlroys predicament on Wednesday afternoon as he spoke in advance of the start of the Barclays on Thursday at the famed Bethpage Black Course onLong Island, where he will be paired with Woods and Zach Johnson.
Tiger walked into the room as McIlroy was being asked what it will be like for him to play the taylormade rocketballz irons with the 74-time PGA Tour winner.
I feel every time Ive played with Tiger, McIlroy said,hes sort of brought the best out of me. I really feel focused and obviously want to play well.
I really enjoy his taylormade rocketballz irons. I know well have a good time out there. Im keeping him waiting here, so Ill stop talking about him.
Then to temporarily defuse with humor any discomfort he might feel about having Tiger in the room during his time with the media, McIlroy said of the upcoming Ryder Cup:Id love to go out first [in Sunday singles] and kick [Tigers] ass.
Later in the interview, McIlroy was asked who he thought was the best player in the world. This could have been one of those moments that you see in lead-ups to big boxing matches, where the fighters argue about who is the best. For a moment, I imagined McIlroy playing taylormade rbz irons to Tigers Muhammad Ali.
Its hard for me to sit up here and say that Im the best player in the world or Tiger is, McIlroy said.Sure, I feel like Im the best and Tiger feels like hes the best.
Tiger has been the best player in the world for the last 15 years. Just that people are mentioning my name with the likes of him is a huge compliment.
Hes a great kid and its great to be around him, Woods said.I just hope that everyone just lets him grow and develop as a player because its going to be fun to see over the next 20 years how this kids career is going to pan out.
This minor episode on Wednesday provides a window into McIlroys near future as the best player in the world. Its his stage, but Tiger is close by, peering down over his younger rival with a mix of taylormade rbz irons. Tiger has seen the likes of McIlroy come and go.
pointed to his own longevity when he asked us to look at McIlroy over the next two decades.
Tiger wasnt saying look at what Ive done, but only that he has firsthand knowledge of what its like to be shrouded with praise very earlier in your career after a few big wins.
More information welcome to http://www.luckygolf8.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Golf Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jim Nantz On Greenbrier Classic: 'Nothing But R... Fri GolfVera 1
News Phil Mickelson Reportedly Tied to Money Launder... Jun 30 borrells2 1
Are Remote control golf cart more expensive or ... Jun 30 Sunrisegolfcarts 1
News Without Tiger Woods, golf is fading to gray Jun 28 Silent Echo 9
News Don't bet your house on Tiger - Strange (Jul '14) Jun 28 GolfVera 14
News Sad to watch as Tiger Woods stumbles to new lows Jun 28 GolfVera 2
Where is the best place for buying the Electric... Jun 24 Sunrisegolfcarts 1
More from around the web