Since: Dec 12

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Interesting Facts on one of the most sought after collectible classic putters in the World:

One of the most rare and collectible putters in the world is the Frank Sinatra 1963 Invitational putter. It is a copper-plated Toney Penna designed MacGregor IMG V. Only 150 of these putters were ever produced and very few have surfaced over the years.
The putter was custom commissioned by MacGregor Golf for Frank Sinatra's first ever PGA sanctioned celebrity Invitational Pro Am in November of 1963. The event was held at the Canyon Club in Palm Springs, California where only 150 VIP celebrities and guests were invited. Following the Invitational was a black-tie gala in the Palm Springs Riviera Hotel Ballroom and the VIP guests were presented the putter from Frank Sinatra as a gift. The bottom of the putter features a signature & caricature of Frank Sinatra.
But the Frank Sinatra 1963 Invitational putter comes with a hefty price. After the event, the putter was featured in newspapers and magazines and the general public raved just to have one. In 1994 one sold in Europe for $28,000. Also, one was listed on ebay and sold for for 35,000 in 2011. If you can find an original, than you will have a solid investment that will appreciate in value. I would like to find one to give to my daughter someday hehe.

Beware of copies on the market though. Only a putter expert can tell if it is an original or not.

“Scumbags come in all sizes”

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2012

Hi guruji.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Yes, this putter is highly collectible and desired. I actually saw a real one before that an older guy in California had. Pretty cool because
there are very few left in existence.
The Frank Sinatra 1963 Invitational putter is featured in a book called "Putters of Distinction" - This is a great book showing the pricey elite vintage putters.
Also note that the real 1963 Sinatra Invitationals have a round black leather wrap grip, with a very thin thin gold strip between the black leather circular wrap.
I have seen fake ones on the web from small auction houses claiming they are original, selling for $3995.00 with the wrong grip on it. The real ones are 35 1/4" in length also.
There are other ways to tell if one is real or not, but as you say, it takes a putter expert to tell.
thip112

Winchester, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2013

I have one, I may be interested in selling it as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Golf Discussions

Search the Golf Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Did anybody hear Faldo and others making fun of... Thu clems123 1
Medicus scam and corporate irresponsibility... ... (May '12) Wed Nguyen Anh Minh Vietnam 21
Greenwell just misses cut Jul 25 where will 9 acres go 1
Nicklaus would pick Tiger for Ryder Cup team Jul 25 MEAN JOE GREEN 2
Lowest TV Ratings for Open Championship in ESPN... Jul 23 MEAN JOE GREEN 1
Phil Mickelson says he might not deserve Ryder ... Jul 22 Sandy Busch 1
Brandel Chamblee Says Tiger Era is Over Jul 21 armenta 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••