Teachers sue Sausalito-Marin City district over thumb scans

The Sausalito Marin City School District is being sued by its teachers' union because the district is requiring teachers to sign in and out of work with an electronic thumb-print scanner. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Happy to be working

San Pablo, CA

#1 May 15, 2010
If you clocked in when you got there and clock out when you're done, then you have nothing to worry about. My job is NOT union and thumb-print/time card swipes are already required. Damn union people.
Alexia Love

San Rafael, CA

#2 May 15, 2010
Sounds like a big waste of money to me. Wouldn't they know if the teacher wasn't in class? If not, it sounds like the district has bigger fish to fry, like maybe the principal of Willow Creek and her "habit"???
Koalabear2525

Alameda, CA

#4 May 16, 2010
yes it is a waste of time .does the district got better things to do ? and for our stupid friend Happy to be working from San Leandro can go to mexico or where ever . If you like the wages you get now then shut up because some union had a part in what you are getting . Just what does the thumb print prove ? Why not have all the kiddies and every one that comes on the school grounds do the same thing . Hope the teachers get what they want
milesoleo

Novato, CA

#5 May 16, 2010
random idea, I grew up in a family of teachers and never heard of a time card/thumb scanner it's not really the kind of job you can sneak out of and if an administrator has an issue with a teacher or group of teachers fire them and move on.
Batman

Ross, CA

#6 May 16, 2010
this kind of bs from public employee unions is why long ago i lost respect for unions even though i am a life long democrat and grew up in a union household
msd

San Francisco, CA

#7 May 16, 2010
...then likewise force the administrators to sign-in with thumb scans as well and make their time records a matter of public record. Why would they disagree with this proposal?
E Finance Investor

Corte Madera, CA

#8 May 16, 2010
I agree with the Teacher and she could have a religious platform to negotiate since this could be considered a " sign of the beast " by being tracked by a body part.
We had this same issue when doing biometric thumb scans for financial payments. If the City did their research before requiring this they would know a storm would eventually brew over this. We didn't do the investment since we knew lawsuits would follow .
Barry Buckley

Daly City, CA

#9 May 16, 2010
The school administrators would rather do something else, but someone must be misbehaving.
Everybody be still for scanning. Thankyou
Hal

Mill Valley, CA

#10 May 16, 2010
Nice distraction from the social, financial and political disaster that Marin City is.

If I were a property owner in Sausalito, I would be demanding that my school system be decoupled from that flaming trainwreck.
Close the housing projects now! Make them senior only housing and free market rentals w/o any subsidies.
JPM

Novato, CA

#11 May 16, 2010
Hal wrote:
Nice distraction from the social, financial and political disaster that Marin City is.
If I were a property owner in Sausalito, I would be demanding that my school system be decoupled from that flaming trainwreck.
Close the housing projects now! Make them senior only housing and free market rentals w/o any subsidies.
It has been nearly fifty years and the price of property in Sausalito has only gone up, up, up.
If you are in San Rafael then I think you should be the one, who is worried about your value.
JPM

Novato, CA

#12 May 16, 2010
JPM wrote:
<quoted text>
It has been nearly fifty years and the price of property in Sausalito has only gone up, up, up.
If you are in San Rafael then I think you should be the one, who is worried about your value.
Nearly "Seventy" years. Where does the time go.
Longgone

AOL

#13 May 16, 2010
Maybe replace the thumb scanner with a armed guard and wand metal detector? Or full body scanner? That would get those teachers on the straight and narrow.

I too came from a union family and definately not a Democrat but if it were not for unions you probalby would not have paid a livable wage (how much money should someone make living in MARIN) We all can live 20 to a house. You would employer based health care, 40hour work week, or may other employee benifits that we take for granted today. Yes, I agree that some unions have gone to far but then I dont think a Pro baseball player is worth a couple undred million either..
Delbert

Mill Valley, CA

#14 May 16, 2010
Why would they install a scanner unless people were not showing up and were leaving early or having others clock in with their time cards?

Since Marin City is a giant housing project with all the rights and entitlements of a housing project, I guess some teachers were getting their reparations in fudged time cards. Hey, it's all just living off the land for some people.
JPM

Novato, CA

#15 May 16, 2010
Delbert wrote:
Why would they install a scanner unless people were not showing up and were leaving early or having others clock in with their time cards?
Since Marin City is a giant housing project with all the rights and entitlements of a housing project, I guess some teachers were getting their reparations in fudged time cards. Hey, it's all just living off the land for some people.
You say it is "Giant" when actually it is "Small". I find humor in that.
What School

San Jose, CA

#16 May 16, 2010
Hal wrote:
If you were a resident of Sausalito you'd be paying through the nose to put your kids in a private school!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#17 May 16, 2010
Knowing who's on campus is good for both security and performance measurement. Since the union members aren't paid by the hour, it's not about pay. They shouldn't be upset by better security. Perhaps the hours on campus will show teachers performing at different levels.

Might they be concerned about performance measurement creeping into the job, like most professions?
Phil

Mill Valley, CA

#18 May 16, 2010
What School wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were a resident of Sausalito you'd be paying through the nose to put your kids in a private school!
The few people with children in Sausalito already do.
If the schools were even decent in that district instead of being abysmal, property values would be way higher. If all the people in Marin City were relocated to say, fairfield, the Sausalito schools would be emptied and families with kids would flock to the district.
As it is now, Sausalto is and always has been a swinging singles town. This is because the schools are ghetto thanks to Marin City.
JPM

Novato, CA

#19 May 16, 2010
Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
If the schools were even decent in that district instead of being abysmal, property values would be way higher. If all the people in Marin City were relocated to say, fairfield, the Sausalito schools would be emptied and families with kids would flock to the district.
As it is now, Sausalto is and always has been a swinging singles town. This is because the schools are ghetto thanks to Marin City.
It must be sometime since you where in those schools.
Joslyn

Novato, CA

#20 May 16, 2010
Delbert wrote:
There is really no way to "fudge on a time card." Teachers don't generally have time cards. Don't you think the kids would notice if a teacher came in late and left early? I wonder ift hose teachers are getting overtime for all those hours they work planning lessons and grading, or if they have to clock out when the kids leave. This sounds like a huge waste of money to me. And the superintendant's comment about it being a safety issue sounds like complete b.s. I'm for the teachers on this one.
valley-boy

Novato, CA

#21 May 16, 2010
Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
If the publicly funded school system wasn't there, where would the charter school get it's funding? Bloodsuckers!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scanners Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The a oenumber of the beast,a hand scanners (to... Jan 21 WTF 2
Handheld scanners Jan 20 Jamestheduke21 1
Snapjet Jan 5 Leilou 2
Facebook fights malware with another anti-virus... Dec '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
A scanner to end all airport security lines? Oct '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
The Machine That Tried To Scan The Brain - In 1882 Aug '14 Kid_Tomorrow 2
Smithsonian creates first 3D portrait of Obama (Jun '14) Jun '14 Eighthman 10
More from around the web