Economy, convenience play starring ro...

Economy, convenience play starring role in home entertainment

There are 4 comments on the Public Opinion story from Mar 30, 2010, titled Economy, convenience play starring role in home entertainment. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

The home video industry has changed drastically in almost 32 years, bending to consumer demand, technology, and struggling to compete for consumers' limited personal entertainment budget.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

Dan

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Mar 31, 2010
It is a shame that the Enteretainment companies are standing in the way of Netflix and Blockbusters kiosks and not allowing their new releases to be vended for 2+ weeks due to the fact they arn't making as much money. Netflix users have to wait a full 28 days for warner brothers videos to come out.
Dan

Chambersburg, PA

#2 Mar 31, 2010
That should read rodbox and blockbusters kiosks

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#3 Mar 31, 2010
They completely fail to mention Netflix Streaming, which comes free with a Netflix subscription and allows you to instantly watch a movie as long as you have a compatible device. This is the future of movie watching and Netflix knows this, even stating that hopefully within 5-10 years, physical movie rental discs will be a thing of the past.

It actually works great for me, streaming through my BluRay player, but there is a limited selection - unless you like indie films and classics (which I do).

Redbox is also taking a huge slice from Blockbuster whose "blue kiosks" are way too little, way too late. I wouldn't be surprised if Blockbuster goes the way of Circuit City by the end of this year.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#4 Mar 31, 2010
Dan wrote:
It is a shame that the Enteretainment companies are standing in the way of Netflix and Blockbusters kiosks and not allowing their new releases to be vended for 2+ weeks due to the fact they arn't making as much money. Netflix users have to wait a full 28 days for warner brothers videos to come out.
Doesn't bother me one bit if that's the penalty for the convenience of Netflix - with so many films I want to see anyway, I can wait an extra month before finally watching a new release.

I expect the movie studios to see the future of rentals and lift those restrictions at some point.

That fact is, people don't want to buy DVD's anymore. There are so many films that having a movie collection is unnecessary these - with instant streaming through your television and computer. I mean, how often do most people watch a single movie? Twice? Three times? Unless it's something really great? I'll never understand when I walk into someone's house and they have The Perfect Storm in their DVD collection? Really? How many times have you watched that?

Internet streaming is the future, and if Redbox doesn't figure that out, they'll be gone within the decade.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Audio and Video Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Home Theater in a Historic Home Masks Noise fro... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Shuttle 1
News Elevate your home theater experience with one o... (Jun '15) Jun '15 jaxwillis23 1
News Paradigm classes up its Prestige line with two ... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Alexis 1
News Getflix offers the best of both worlds (Apr '15) Apr '15 gavincredible 1
News HARMAN's JBL Professional Debuts SRX800 Series ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Djjestjamm 1
News Audiological Devices Market 2019 Demand for Est... (Dec '14) Dec '14 3-putt 2
How to Merge Multiple Video Files into One (Jun '14) Jun '14 maggette86 1
More from around the web