A few Bright House customers with CableCards miss out on HD cha...

When Bright House Networks added five high-definition channels to its lineup recently, a handful of subscribers in Central Florida did not receive the new channels and also lost several channels that were ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dkahs23

United States

#1 Feb 8, 2008
More than just handful. There are alot of people affected. And to top it off cable prices increased this year already.
Sherry Bradley

Titusville, FL

#3 Feb 8, 2008
I just had this experience with Brighthouse. They installed cable cards in my new HD Tivo on January 23, after I had checked and been assured I would receive all HD channels but no guide or pay per view. The installer's "boss" bragged to me on speaker phone about the five new channels I would start getting on February 1. Instead, on that date, I lost five channels I was already receiving and told no new HD channels would be available to cable card users- ever!
Rob

Kissimmee, FL

#4 Feb 8, 2008
Not only are TiVo users affected but so are users of Windows Media Center PCs with ATI CableCard tuners. I am very disappointed and cannot wait for the new DirectTV/Windows Media Center options that are coming so I can leave BrightHouse for good.
Doug - TiVoBrien

Orlando, FL

#5 Feb 8, 2008
Well, I was going to go from Comcast analog to Brighthouse digital when we get our upcoming HDTV (to go along with my TiVo Series 3), but since I refuse to use the junky cable company DVRs, I guess I'll stick with Comcast until Brighthouse and TiVo get their act together. Yet another reason I'm glad I installed an over-the-air antenna for my HD needs.
WGW

Orlando, FL

#6 Feb 8, 2008
Headline of article minimizes the number of subscribers affected by this newly imposed channel limitation. Since SDV has not been rolled out yet, there is no technical reason that prevents CableCARDs from being enabled to receive all of the HD channels. Instead, the limitation is caused by a policy decision that appears to only apply to subscribers who are not using BHN equipment to obtain their digital programming (primarily TiVo). The policy does not affect BHN devices, some which use internal CableCARDs (like their own SA8300 HD DVR)!
Change Agent

Lexington, SC

#7 Feb 8, 2008
yay Dish!
Justin

Orlando, FL

#8 Feb 8, 2008
Time to switch to DIRECTV!!!
MegaZone

North Arlington, NJ

#9 Feb 8, 2008
The good news is that the Tuning Resolver (which is the USB dongle needed to enable SDV on TiVos and other UDCP devices) is moving along in development and should be available in 2Q08. CableLabs just got their testing software: http://www.tivolovers.com/2008/02/08/cablelab...

(Unrelated, I'm leaving cold Worcester, MA tomorrow for two weeks in Jupiter & Orlando, FL. Can't wait.)

Since: Feb 08

Worcester, MA

#10 Feb 8, 2008
I just posted my commentary on the situation. I don't see why Bright House couldn't make the channels available as linear channels until they get around to implementing SDV: http://www.tivolovers.com/2008/02/08/bright-h...
Randy T

Saint Cloud, FL

#11 Feb 8, 2008
Count me in this group. I'm not happy. Not only am I getting less channels than other customers, I'm paying more for it.
And, it's not as if they have implemented the technology yet. They haven't. They just turned off the channels to cablecards in advance of the technology rollout later this year.
So, right now, they could give cablecard customers all of the channels. The old ones and the new ones. They could then remove them when they switch over to the new system, and by that time, the adapter would be available. Thus, customers with TIVO would never be without service.
The solution that Brighthouse has proposed makes the TIVO unit useless, as it can't get high def signals from a cablebox.
Come on, Brighthouse. Make your customers happy. Remove the giant asterix from your company, and give cablecard customers all of the channels.
Mike

Fruitland Park, FL

#12 Feb 8, 2008
I'm sure the cable-card-fans out there aren't too happy with this.

That being said, it sounds like this is really TIVOs fault kids. They should have had their act together and design a HD-DVR that wasn't going to be old-technology so soon.

That's not to say Brighthouse shouldn't have warned you all. But... Brighthouse is doing their best to roll out HD-channels ASAP, with something like 80 (50 was a low-ball number inside sources are saying) new HD channels by the end of the year.

So I just hope Brighthouse doesn't slow down HD-deployment because a few hundred people in Orlando are affected.

And yes, on message boards I'm sure it'll seem like there are "so many people complaining"...but keep in mind..only tech-savvy people are going to even know what the hell a cable card is!

Worcester, MA

#13 Feb 8, 2008
Mike,
If you look at the situation it isn't TiVo's fault. The only way for a 3rd party vendor, like TiVo, to connect directly to digital cable is CableCARD. And *all* 3rd party CableCARD devices have been UDCP - unidirectional.
The only 'solution' for bidirectional systems, which is required for SDV, has been OCAP/Tru2Way. And this hasn't been viable for a few reasons - not the least of which is that cable companies haven't deployed it yet, so it isn't even there to use! The cable industry originally pledged to have OCAP in the field by the end of 2006 - now they're saying by the end of 2008. The first real viable Tru2Way (the new brand name for OCAP) consumer devices were displayed at CES2008 last month, and we *might* see them this year.
On top of that, the cable industry had taken a hard line with OCAP. They were insisting that vendors provide a blank slate for the cable MSO's OCAP software to be downloaded upon. This is a complete non-starter for most CE vendors like TiVo. TiVo's whole platform is their software, and the cable MSOs were saying they would *displace* the built-in code and the entire UI would come from them. You'd buy a TiVo - and get the same software used on the cable box! What's the point?
This caused a war, which is still ongoing, between the cable industry (pushing OCAP) and the CE industry (pushing a counter proposal, DCR+) which has been effectively stalemated for a couple of years now. Both sides have made numerous filings with the FCC, but the FCC hasn't done anything to unjam the process - yet.
Just a couple of months ago, around the time the Tuning Resolver was officially unveiled, the cable industry seemed to soften a bit. The NCTA and TiVo jointly announced a compromise that TiVo might use in their products - probably new products and not the boxes we have today. It is basically a hybrid. It would use the TiVo software and interface for all 'linear' content - basically what TiVo does today, plus SDV, but it would turn over control to OCAP applications for VOD/PPV, and other special applications the MSO may provide. TiVo (and other CE vendors who go the compromise route) don't lose their UI, and the cable MSOs don't have to completely overhaul their back end systems as supporting DCR+ would require.
But, anyway, the situation is such that the solution TiVo has on the market today is the best a 3rd party vendor can provide given the state of the industry. Right now there is no way for a 3rd party to support SDV. OCAP has been the 'official' solution - but most MSOs don't have OCAP support rolled out yet. So there is no solution. The Tuning Resolver is the compromise the CE industry and cable industry came to in light of the delays in fielding OCAP and the desire by MSOs to deploy SDV.

Hmm... too long...

Worcester, MA

#14 Feb 8, 2008
The rest...

And the FCC has some roll to play. Since they mandated CableCARD to open networks, the shift to SDV, which UDCP devices cannot access, raised more than a few eyebrows. Many view it as not adhering to the spirit of the FCCs regulations to open the networks to 3rd party devices. Rather than allowing the situation to escalate to the point where the FCC stepped in and mandated some kind of solution, possibly freezing SDV deployments, the industry decided they'd better come up with their own solution first. Hence the Tuning Resolver.
But SDV is not the only solution to the bandwidth issue raised by increasing HD content. There are other options, which some MSOs are pursuing instead of, or in addition to, SDV. Such as upgrading the cable system to 860MHz or 1GHz. Many cable systems are still running at 650Mhz or 750Mhz - some even 550Mhz - and upgrading to newer gear provides more bandwidth. Moving analog channels to digital also frees a lot of bandwidth. You can generally get six SD digital channels in the bandwidth needed for one analog channels, or one to HD digital channels. So in the bandwidth for six analog SD channels you could get six digital SD channels and at least five digital HD channels, and perhaps more. And there are other options, such as moving some services to MPEG4 instead of MPEG2, which gets you a 2:1 gain or better.
So it isn't as if SDV is the only option MSOs have when adding HD channels.

Worcester, MA

#15 Feb 8, 2008
Hey, where'd the first bit go? Repost...

Mike,
If you look at the situation it isn't TiVo's fault. The only way for a 3rd party vendor, like TiVo, to connect directly to digital cable is CableCARD. And *all* 3rd party CableCARD devices have been UDCP - unidirectional.
The only 'solution' for bidirectional systems, which is required for SDV, has been OCAP/Tru2Way. And this hasn't been viable for a few reasons - not the least of which is that cable companies haven't deployed it yet, so it isn't even there to use! The cable industry originally pledged to have OCAP in the field by the end of 2006 - now they're saying by the end of 2008. The first real viable Tru2Way (the new brand name for OCAP) consumer devices were displayed at CES2008 last month, and we *might* see them this year.
On top of that, the cable industry had taken a hard line with OCAP. They were insisting that vendors provide a blank slate for the cable MSO's OCAP software to be downloaded upon. This is a complete non-starter for most CE vendors like TiVo. TiVo's whole platform is their software, and the cable MSOs were saying they would *displace* the built-in code and the entire UI would come from them. You'd buy a TiVo - and get the same software used on the cable box! What's the point?
This caused a war, which is still ongoing, between the cable industry (pushing OCAP) and the CE industry (pushing a counter proposal, DCR+) which has been effectively stalemated for a couple of years now. Both sides have made numerous filings with the FCC, but the FCC hasn't done anything to unjam the process - yet.
Just a couple of months ago, around the time the Tuning Resolver was officially unveiled, the cable industry seemed to soften a bit. The NCTA and TiVo jointly announced a compromise that TiVo might use in their products - probably new products and not the boxes we have today. It is basically a hybrid. It would use the TiVo software and interface for all 'linear' content - basically what TiVo does today, plus SDV, but it would turn over control to OCAP applications for VOD/PPV, and other special applications the MSO may provide. TiVo (and other CE vendors who go the compromise route) don't lose their UI, and the cable MSOs don't have to completely overhaul their back end systems as supporting DCR+ would require.
But, anyway, the situation is such that the solution TiVo has on the market today is the best a 3rd party vendor can provide given the state of the industry. Right now there is no way for a 3rd party to support SDV. OCAP has been the 'official' solution - but most MSOs don't have OCAP support rolled out yet. So there is no solution. The Tuning Resolver is the compromise the CE industry and cable industry came to in light of the delays in fielding OCAP and the desire by MSOs to deploy SDV.

Hmm... too long...

Worcester, MA

#16 Feb 8, 2008
And the FCC has some roll to play. Since they mandated CableCARD to open networks, the shift to SDV, which UDCP devices cannot access, raised more than a few eyebrows. Many view it as not adhering to the spirit of the FCCs regulations to open the networks to 3rd party devices. Rather than allowing the situation to escalate to the point where the FCC stepped in and mandated some kind of solution, possibly freezing SDV deployments, the industry decided they'd better come up with their own solution first. Hence the Tuning Resolver.
But SDV is not the only solution to the bandwidth issue raised by increasing HD content. There are other options, which some MSOs are pursuing instead of, or in addition to, SDV. Such as upgrading the cable system to 860MHz or 1GHz. Many cable systems are still running at 650Mhz or 750Mhz - some even 550Mhz - and upgrading to newer gear provides more bandwidth. Moving analog channels to digital also frees a lot of bandwidth. You can generally get six SD digital channels in the bandwidth needed for one analog channels, or one to HD digital channels. So in the bandwidth for six analog SD channels you could get six digital SD channels and at least five digital HD channels, and perhaps more. And there are other options, such as moving some services to MPEG4 instead of MPEG2, which gets you a 2:1 gain or better.
So it isn't as if SDV is the only option MSOs have when adding HD channels.

Worcester, MA

#17 Feb 8, 2008

Worcester, MA

#18 Feb 8, 2008
What's going on? Can't post two comments in a row?

Worcester, MA

#19 Feb 8, 2008
Sorry - the forum kept showing me the last comment i made *replacing* the previous one. Now they just all popped up... I hope more don't show up from my other attempts to make it post.
esuohthgirB

Orlando, FL

#20 Feb 9, 2008
i love brighthouse........mmmmmmwwwwa aaaa. let the haters hate. cry me a river build me a bridge and get over it. other companies besides the cable company are doing the same thing just in different ways. its the signs of the times seek god first and everything else will follow.

Since: Jan 08

Indialantic, FL

#21 Feb 9, 2008
Wow ,look at the big head on Megazone!You are new to to the zone and also very informative!Keep it up!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Digital Video Recorders Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why does the new Digital TV signal suck so bad? (Apr '12) Oct 25 Elaine 43
Bright House update in need of fine-tuning (Oct '08) Aug '13 melissa 40
DirecTV Genie Lets You Record 5 Shows at Once (Oct '12) Oct '12 javi 1
thnk (Oct '12) Oct '12 gvnkamera 1
Battle over AutoHop isn't just about skipping c... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Bruce 1
Take A Look At Current Dish Network Specials (Aug '12) Aug '12 Belinda 1
DirecTV toying with commercial-skipping DVR (Jun '12) Jul '12 Solaris 3

Digital Video Recorders People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE