Neuros OSD device transfers content from old video and home-mov...

Full story: Orlando Sentinel
The speed of technological innovation means many of our treasured home movies and videos are locked in formats that are hard to access and becoming obsolete. Full Story
Mr Disco

Duncan, SC

#1 Feb 9, 2008
What about my 8-track collection?
Tired Commuter

Deltona, FL

#2 Feb 9, 2008
You do know this is probably a copyright violation and illegal?

If the DVDs are encoded with CSS or the videotapes use Macrovision, then this also violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act's prohibition against circumvention of a copy-protection scheme.

This might fall under the fair-use exemption, but the RIAA is fighting really hard to get that minimized or eliminated.

Of course I wouldn't let that stop me either, but you need to know the laws.
Viola

United States

#3 Feb 9, 2008
do you notice any advantages this technology mayhave on education in schools
Viola

United States

#4 Feb 9, 2008
im trying to figure out if any one can teall me how they think this device could be useful to students or teachers or schools?

please let me know, its for my assignment

Since: Aug 07

Orlando, FL

#5 Feb 9, 2008
Tired Commuter wrote:
You do know this is probably a copyright violation and illegal?
If the DVDs are encoded with CSS or the videotapes use Macrovision, then this also violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act's prohibition against circumvention of a copy-protection scheme.
This might fall under the fair-use exemption, but the RIAA is fighting really hard to get that minimized or eliminated.
Of course I wouldn't let that stop me either, but you need to know the laws.
Hi,

According to Neuros, the device is not illegal so long as the recordings are for personal use and you do not make recordings from movies rented from the video store, etc.

The OSD falls under the "analog hole," which the moviemaking industry has been trying to close for some time. It's basically the same as using a VCR to record shows that are broadcast on the air or a tape recorder to record shows from the radio.

The OSD is different than DVD ripping programs because it does not break the encryption to record the content, which is illegal.

Here's the wikipedia page on the "analog hole."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole

Etan

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Digital Video Recorders Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AT&T's U-verse stages duel with Bright House cable (Dec '08) Jan 4 emmy 131
Why does the new Digital TV signal suck so bad? (Apr '12) Nov '14 Tom from detroit ... 44
Your Online TV Watching Can Now Be Tracked Acro... Nov '14 report-card 1
Bright House update in need of fine-tuning (Oct '08) Aug '13 melissa 40
DirecTV Genie Lets You Record 5 Shows at Once (Oct '12) Oct '12 javi 1
thnk (Oct '12) Oct '12 gvnkamera 1
Battle over AutoHop isn't just about skipping c... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Bruce 1
More from around the web