AT&T enters city's cable market with U-verse debut

Full story: El Paso Times

Competition is heating up in El Paso's TV service market. AT&T on Tuesday launched its new digital television service, AT&T U-verse, in El Paso, bringing additional competition to Time Warner Cable, El Paso's ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Jan 28, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Just me

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

Will they charge a million type of taxes that will make the monthly bill over 200 bucks

Since: Jan 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

El Paul wrote:
Where do I sign up? T-W sucks balls.
Ginormous balls.
Former customer

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

AT & T customer service is horrible. I just changed from AT & T to TW for the bulk package. TW customer service is also bad but AT & T is absolutly atrocius. I wouln;t go back to AT&T unless TW screws up my bill like AT&T.
mirr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

HOPE IT GIVES BETTER SERVICE ,THAN TIME WARNER ,IF IT DOES GOOD BY TIME WARNER
Right ON

Goodyear, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

Time warner's service falls short in all aspects from programming to keeping their network up and running. Its about time customers had a real choice.
Gsan

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

El Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Ginormous green donkey balls w/ sauce.
Hairy ones too
Anne

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

I was the first customer to have U-verse installed in El Paso. I love it!! I switched because I was sick of only getting 15 HD channels with TW. ATT U-verse delivers at least 70 (okay so I got sick of counting). My new DVR has more options than Time Warner's such as recorder first run only, search for programs, and I can record four programs at once. DVR also comes with HDMI cable if you ask. I do not have a contract like with some satellite companies.

I did get the internet and it works okay. Comes with wireless gateway. I am due for a computer upgrade so I think my computer is limiting me.

I figure I'll pay about $140 for the highest cable package, medium speed internet, and phone. That's with some discounts for the first year, but I can change plans at anytime. The customer service has been amazing and they are offering huge discounts if you sign up.

I'm already so happy I switched. Time will tell how it works over the long haul, but watching TLC and NFL network in HD last night was awesome!!!
Ya Basta

Newburyport, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

Anne wrote:
I was the first customer to have U-verse installed in El Paso. I love it!! I switched because I was sick of only getting 15 HD channels with TW. ATT U-verse delivers at least 70 (okay so I got sick of counting). My new DVR has more options than Time Warner's such as recorder first run only, search for programs, and I can record four programs at once. DVR also comes with HDMI cable if you ask. I do not have a contract like with some satellite companies.
I did get the internet and it works okay. Comes with wireless gateway. I am due for a computer upgrade so I think my computer is limiting me.
I figure I'll pay about $140 for the highest cable package, medium speed internet, and phone. That's with some discounts for the first year, but I can change plans at anytime. The customer service has been amazing and they are offering huge discounts if you sign up.
I'm already so happy I switched. Time will tell how it works over the long haul, but watching TLC and NFL network in HD last night was awesome!!!
Just called AT&T and they said it is only available in the 79912 zip code. Bummer! I wish it was available all over El Paso. Time to get rid of TWC and their bad service...
John

Arlington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

I cannot complain about AT&T Uverse. I live in the DFW area and I change from TW to AT&T a couple of months ago and I absolutely love it. AT&T Customer Service is phenomenal and they actually show up to correct the problem. Packages are affordable. The best part of it is that AT&T Uverse has the NFL Network unlike TW. I would definitely recommend AT&T Uverse.
West79912

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

According to their wesite it available in the belvedere resler area
Adios Time Warner

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

Seems to be available in the 79936 area as well.

https://uverse1.att.com/un/launchAMSS.do...
shyminer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

just checked my addy! and it's available! woohoo i hate TW!!!!!!
RUSerious

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

I never really looked into U-verse since we did not have that option but after 3 days or researching night and day I have come to the conclusion that U-verse is to expensive and has less HD Programing and although the DVR can record 4 programs at once you can not record 4 HD programs at once.

In comparison I have Dish Network AT200 with Silver HD. I have 2 vip722 HD DVR receivers for a total of 4 rooms with service. The quality is great and the 1080p movies look excellent. You can download movies and shows at your liking via DishOnline. Dish has the most HD channels currently and is about to add a handful more. The price I pay is $64.99 a month the only tax is state 8.25%.

U-verse I can not compare quality but based off of various reviews and forum comments (DBStalk, satelliteguys.us, EndgagetHD, etc.) it seems to be lacking. The price seems to high. The equivalent of the plan I have with Dish would be;
U200 with 4 receivers(4 rooms), HD and Internet which would be $114 a month plus tax (state, Fed, usage, recovery) so close to $125 a month.

So compared to Dish the diffrence is $55 that's a major difference.

U-verse does have other plans and also a bouns offer of up to $250 cash back until 1/31. One of the plans is the 30/30/30 plan which is TV/Internet/Voice Phone for $90

I do not have and won't have Time Warner (that's another story) but for those that do switching to U-verse might be a good deal and better overall plan then Time Warner.

Now that we have options compare and research before making your choice.
RUSerious

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

Forgot to mention on good thing about U-verse is that they have a 30 day money back guarantee and they also work month to month, so if you don't like it in a week, month or two from now you can cancel without penalty.
Ralph McCulin

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

I don't know, but AT&T's customer service people suck!
cabeza de vaca

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

i'll stay with whoever gives me the better deal for cable and internet......start competing
Juan Sabor

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

I was one of the first in El Paso to get U-verse yesterday and I've reviewed it on my TECH blog. I had Dish Network before and I'm going back to Dish Network after one day of U-verse. Read my review here:
http://lginer.blogspot.com/
UVERSE DOMINATES DISH

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

RUSerious wrote:
I never really looked into U-verse since we did not have that option but after 3 days or researching night and day I have come to the conclusion that U-verse is to expensive and has less HD Programing and although the DVR can record 4 programs at once you can not record 4 HD programs at once.
you can record 2 hd channels at the same time which to me is phenomenal, like you said cant do 4 but I'll take the 2. And what makes it better than dish is it has a state of the art better guide with lightening fast channel switching complimented with locals in hd built in programming, COMPARE THAT WITH DISH!!!!!!!! AND you might want to look into the $5 HD premium for more HD channels than the regular HD...
RUSerious

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

UVERSE DOMINATES DISH wrote:
<quoted text>
you can record 2 hd channels at the same time which to me is phenomenal, like you said cant do 4 but I'll take the 2. And what makes it better than dish is it has a state of the art better guide with lightening fast channel switching complimented with locals in hd built in programming, COMPARE THAT WITH DISH!!!!!!!! AND you might want to look into the $5 HD premium for more HD channels than the regular HD...
Actually with Dish (vip722) you can record 3 HD channels and watch a play back of an HD recording all at the same time. You can also watch also watch different live HD channels and watch different recorded channels on separate TV's at the same time.
As far as HD goes Dish has hands down the most HD channels and with the addition of a lot more coming soon. The guide is great IMO and switching seems fine as well.
The 1080p is nice and is something no one has. The PQ is also nice compared to cable and as a lot of people have stated even better then U-verse.
So for great quality, first class hardware and of course a better price Dish is a logical choice.

Dish and DirecTV have better service, but if your switching from Time Warner U-verse is the better option.

“"El Narco-Santo"”

Since: Jun 08

Culiacan, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

....you all watch too much TV...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Digital Video Recorders Discussions

Search the Digital Video Recorders Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Why does the new Digital TV signal suck so bad? (Apr '12) Aug 9 John Denver 38
Bright House update in need of fine-tuning (Oct '08) Aug '13 melissa 40
DirecTV Genie Lets You Record 5 Shows at Once (Oct '12) Oct '12 javi 1
thnk (Oct '12) Oct '12 gvnkamera 1
Battle over AutoHop isn't just about skipping c... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Bruce 1
Take A Look At Current Dish Network Specials (Aug '12) Aug '12 Belinda 1
DirecTV toying with commercial-skipping DVR (Jun '12) Jul '12 Solaris 3
•••
•••