Options abound if cable bill is getting pricey

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Looking to economize? Join the crowd. But there's no reason you should deprive yourself of fun.
Comments
21 - 39 of 39 Comments Last updated May 14, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
yea right

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

$22 per month (service only-no box) from Advanced Cable is a bit pricey when all I want is the 4 basic networks.
Too bad an outside antenna is not possible.
Deputy Dog

Orange City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Give up my $89 a month cable? NO WAY!!

How else am I gonna get 37 shopping channels and 61 Spanish stations?

How else can I watch the three channels that are worth watching?

It's worth 89 bucks....isn't it?
Floridabird

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Paying to watch the in-home marketing machine? What are we masochists? Pay for radio? Only $9 per month. Only $13 per month. Only $25 per month. That makes almost $50 per month? For expensively made car commercials?
Unreal

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Deputy Dog wrote:
Give up my $89 a month cable? NO WAY!!
How else am I gonna get 37 shopping channels and 61 Spanish stations?
How else can I watch the three channels that are worth watching?
It's worth 89 bucks....isn't it?
LOL, funny but the truth. Why am I paying for all those stations I NEVER use. And, HBO, do you have an movies older then 1952?
you really are dumb

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Not giving up my DIRECTV!!!!! Dont need to worry about saving money! If only you idiots had 150k plus a year jobs like me!
brainwashed

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Sun Sentinel and other media companies need to stop this crap. You guys are not helping the economy by publicizing ways to reduce the economic activity. My cable, sattelite, phone and other bills support many households...if everyone decided to watch network tv only...then, can u imagine how many more people will be out of job..Media is making this worst that it is.
brainwashed

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

you really are dumb wrote:
Not giving up my DIRECTV!!!!! Dont need to worry about saving money! If only you idiots had 150k plus a year jobs like me!
Not tobash up on the un-fortunate - but really -- those of us who are still employed or have an income - should live the life..the way they were living...cutting down is not the answer ...increasing your income is the solution..
Jes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Great tips! Thanks for the post!

- Jes
Bankiology.com
mastershake

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Directv baby.
pie

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Network channels on cable cost 12.95 a month (basic cable) that is like.43 per day. What is the problem?????
Suzanne the Dimbulb

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

brainwashed wrote:
<quoted text> Not tobash up on the un-fortunate - but really -- those of us who are still employed or have an income - should live the life..the way they were living...cutting down is not the answer ...increasing your income is the solution..
If you want to increase your income may I suggest that now is a great time to invest in real estate?
Jed Clampett

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

kill your TV wrote:
I hate to say it but poor people (i.e. 60% of south florida) has no business paying for Cable or satellite. It is just a waste of money.
Add to that theignorance TV produces and poor people should just dump TV and.....god forbid.......read a book or 2 with their kids.....
I have not had TV for 6 years and I have a six figure income
Yeah, but you live in "Lake Mary".
Bob

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

How about FTA Sat?
Kate

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

pie wrote:
Network channels on cable cost 12.95 a month (basic cable) that is like.43 per day. What is the problem?????
Did you notice that the cable companies hide this deal? The reason I found out about it and signed up was for the closed captioning (going deaf) and over-air-captioning was not dependable. I don't watch a lot of TV but I like to catch the dialog of the occasional shows or news that I do watch. Still give me a good book any day!
kill your TV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Jed Clampett wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, but you live in "Lake Mary".
Nope. That is the ISP location.

I live down here with the rest of you in charming south florida.

I use rabbit ears to get 1 network channel since sometime I want to watch network TV. I go to a sports bar to watch NFL games

Truth is, everyone complains about 121 channels of crap and still pays for it.

Unplug for 3o days. I promise you won't miss it after the 21st day.
Free market

Bergenfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Channeling My Forefathers wrote:
The entire television market has colluded to insure none really offers much more than the other and their prices fall right in line with each other. The biggest weapon they wield is refusing to allow customers to pick and choose channels they want to watch and only paying for those choices and no more. Their packages purposely are designed so that channels they know people enjoy watching the most are always excluded from the cheaper packages forcing you to pay for a slew of unwanted channels just to include the 2 - 3 you do want to watch.
Our best bet is to put pressure on Congress to force providers into allowing menu selection and to prohibit the providers from hiking per channel prices up artificially to make up for their lost revenue. Obviously people would save a bundle if they can only pick and choose from a menu but if the provider doubled or tripled the "per channel" prices the customers wouldn't save anything - in fact could end up paying more.
Get congress to force a private company to do something? Check your map, this ain't Venezuela. You want providers to offer more. Cancel your service. If everyone that was unhappy with the status quo called and cancelled their service it would get the providers to change their offerings because they need you, you don't need them. Or do you? It's called supply and demand. As long as you keep giving them your money they have no incentive to change.
suks

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

I have sex with everyones mother/sister/wife. do not have time to watch tv.
JVF

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Here is a great alternative. Get the local channels in HDTV with a TV that has a DTV tuner or use a converter box, which should cost you at the end no more than $20 because of the government coupon. Don't forget the antenna. Then get yourself a DishNow receiver, which is a prepaid satellite system (cost $40 receiver and you need the Dish, but many already have a DishNetwork antenna)and you can buy your packages each day, week or month. You can buy on a prepaid basis HBO for 3 days and record all the shows with a DVR or other digital recorder (or VHS). I get all the local channels for free and just buy from DishNetworks what I need. Sometimes I just get the Family package for $19.99 month for Fox, CNN, Bloomberg etc. This will run you from 0$ month to $20. Forget about cable TV or the packages that cost $75.
Monte

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

I have grown too accustomed to ESPN and BBC...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Digital Video Recorders Discussions

Search the Digital Video Recorders Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Why does the new Digital TV signal suck so bad? (Apr '12) Sat carl larsen 37
Bright House update in need of fine-tuning (Oct '08) Aug '13 melissa 40
DirecTV Genie Lets You Record 5 Shows at Once (Oct '12) Oct '12 javi 1
thnk (Oct '12) Oct '12 gvnkamera 1
Battle over AutoHop isn't just about skipping c... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Bruce 1
Take A Look At Current Dish Network Specials (Aug '12) Aug '12 Belinda 1
DirecTV toying with commercial-skipping DVR (Jun '12) Jul '12 Solaris 3
•••
•••