Options abound if cable bill is getti...

Options abound if cable bill is getting pricey

There are 39 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 22, 2009, titled Options abound if cable bill is getting pricey. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Looking to economize? Join the crowd. But there's no reason you should deprive yourself of fun.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Republicans R RIGHT

United States

#1 Mar 23, 2009
Comcast in Palm Beach County is expensive and horrible service.
Service issues are not just cable TV but the internet is out for a hour or more every day. They try to sell their telephone service but I can't use their phone to call in all the outages, its broke as well.
Reality check

Miami, FL

#2 Mar 23, 2009
I went with satellite when programming on the broadcast stations became progressivily worse and the infomercials took over late night. Now the satelite is not much better. USA has become the House, NCIS, Monk station. Infomercials and paid programming dominate the channels in the overnight hours. Wondering why I'm paying for something I could be wretching over for free.
Freddy

Deerfield Beach, FL

#3 Mar 23, 2009
I got rid of cable. I have rabbit ears.

I don't miss any of it.
Anon

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Mar 23, 2009
I pay $6.99/month for my Virgin Mobile phone...plus $.10/minute. I don't give out my cell phone number...my home phone rolls over to my cell phone and if I want to take the call, I answer it...otherwise I have a message that I am away from home and will return the call when I get home. There was a time when we weren't connected to people 24/7. I just choose to not talk on a phone when I'm away from home. My whole mobile phone bill per month is never more than $15. Nobody NEEDS to spend more than that.
Pin Code

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#5 Mar 23, 2009
Here's are some "novel" ideas to save money on entertainment...read a book from the library, play games with the kids, put a puzzle together (1,000-piece puzzles will keep you going for days), visit the neighbors or close friends, volunteer, play cards, build models, try to solve rubic's cube (without cheating), or listen to classical music (you'll soon learn that most of today's music has its roots in the classics).

My great-grandparents had a phone (1906) before electricity and read by kerosene lamps. My grandparents finally got television but mostly listened to radio, read books, had company over or visited their friends on person. My parents had a black and white TV but were mostly involved with volunteer work, turning the basement into a play room, or having a big garden (almost 1/2 acre) every summer.

Makes me wonder what we would due today without electricity, television, cell phones, MP3 players, DVD movies, Ninetendo, or even..a car (a horse and buggy or walk).

Have we really advanced or have we become slaves to electricity gods?
Jes

Hollywood, FL

#6 Mar 23, 2009
Very good alternatives! Thanks!

- Jes
Bankiology.com
mjddjm

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Mar 24, 2009
Dump Comcast, U-Verse bt ATT is much better quality.
I say

Hialeah, FL

#8 Mar 24, 2009
Freddy wrote:
I got rid of cable. I have rabbit ears.
I don't miss any of it.
Did ya one better, got rid of T.V.

Don't miss it.
Channeling My Forefathers

Oviedo, FL

#9 Mar 24, 2009
The entire television market has colluded to insure none really offers much more than the other and their prices fall right in line with each other. The biggest weapon they wield is refusing to allow customers to pick and choose channels they want to watch and only paying for those choices and no more. Their packages purposely are designed so that channels they know people enjoy watching the most are always excluded from the cheaper packages forcing you to pay for a slew of unwanted channels just to include the 2 - 3 you do want to watch.

Our best bet is to put pressure on Congress to force providers into allowing menu selection and to prohibit the providers from hiking per channel prices up artificially to make up for their lost revenue. Obviously people would save a bundle if they can only pick and choose from a menu but if the provider doubled or tripled the "per channel" prices the customers wouldn't save anything - in fact could end up paying more.
OverTaxed

Hialeah, FL

#10 Mar 24, 2009
Also, remember, if you move to all VOD type services (NetFlix, VuDu, Hulu) your may have another problem. Comcast will throw you off their cable network for downloading too much data in a single month; directly impeding those looking to move to ditch cable TV. DSL is too slow for many of these services, especially if you have several people in the house watching at one time. Therefore, you kind of are still married to the cable subscription (if you watch a significant amount of TV) simply because Comcast will boot you off their network if you ditch cable, keep cable Internet, and then download all your shows (going over the bandwidth cap).

It's not a huge issue today, but it becomes more and more important as all these services move to HD. A 1HR show in HD is ~1.5GB. The current Comcast cap is 250G; so, for a family of 4, if you watch more then ~160HRs of programming a month (which isn't really all that much, 10 hrs/person/week) you can't consider dropping cable TV service.

This, btw, is horribly non-competative of Comcast, they are basically using their monopoly power to make it very difficult/impossible for their customers to pick just Internet service without bundling in cable TV. Hopefully this will be stopped at some point in the future, but, for now, just remember, this article does not work for all situations. If you're Internet is through Comcast (which most of us are in S. FL), you need to really be aware that you may find yourself booted from the network (for a year) if you try to download all your shows/movies instead of subscribing to cable service.
vick

Delray Beach, FL

#11 Mar 24, 2009
this article is terrible. you can find anything on the internet. hulu.com for example carries a lot of the tv shows within 24 hours of airing.

all major networks are starting to post tv shows with ads. good thing is you can surf while the ads play if you cannot disable them.

there is no need for regular tv anymore. with the amount of commercials it is insulting to sit in front of a tv and waste time. watching your shows when you want and how you want is key.

ANYthing can be found on the internet. someone please fire the author of the article.
High def is free

Boca Raton, FL

#12 Mar 24, 2009
Get a "antennas direct db4 antenna" from amazon.com .$53 dollars amazon.com .Got to loews or home depot, get a few 6 foot connecting sections of antenna mast,$7 each.Attach it to the side of your house.Some coax cable and splice it into your old cable connection.If your in an apartment or highrise,get the new hdtv rabbit ear style.Instant High def local channels.Get a dvr or tivo and record all your shows in HD.You want miss cnn or fox news at all.Your welcome.
Bye bye satellite

Pompano Beach, FL

#13 Mar 24, 2009
We got ride of satellite about a year ago. I watch some tv on the internet (Lost or The Office are both on their respective network sites), and we occasionally check out movies from the library.

I don't flip on the tv anymore when bored and watch something just to be watching. We listen to music instead of listening to CNN drone in the background.

Once we did it, we couldn't believe we were ever dumb enough to pay $60 per month for satellite. We don't miss it at all.

“DADDY'S HOME”

Since: Oct 08

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 Mar 24, 2009
directv for me

cable is a waste of money.

stop being cheap. youre only hurting yourself by not having satellite/cable.

one person wont make a difference and thisis a following that less than 1% of people will follow.
its the David Koresh cult leading to nowhere.

get over it. you dont make a difference and ill gladly pay my EVERY CHANNEL directv bill, att basic phone & dsl bill every month

just make sure to turn the boxes off when youre not using them, no need to 'waste' electricity
Joe

United States

#15 Mar 24, 2009
Outside of taxes, cable and satellite TV has become the biggest burden on the American household. These fees are slowly bleeding the life out of the family budget! We need to put up antennas or satellite dishes and be rightfully allowed to receive what is in our air space without fear of persecution. Like anything else the taxes on this crap and cell phones is outrageous!
going going gone

Sarasota, FL

#16 Mar 24, 2009
So actually what you're all saying is that the only way to really SAVE money is to "buy" an antenna and forgo all the channels that aren't local. Really gonna miss the History Channel
kill your TV

United States

#17 Mar 24, 2009
I hate to say it but poor people (i.e. 60% of south florida) has no business paying for Cable or satellite. It is just a waste of money.

Add to that theignorance TV produces and poor people should just dump TV and.....god forbid.......read a book or 2 with their kids.....

I have not had TV for 6 years and I have a six figure income
whatever

Nassau, Bahamas

#18 Mar 24, 2009
Channeling My Forefathers wrote:
The entire television market has colluded to insure none really offers much more than the other and their prices fall right in line with each other. The biggest weapon they wield is refusing to allow customers to pick and choose channels they want to watch and only paying for those choices and no more. Their packages purposely are designed so that channels they know people enjoy watching the most are always excluded from the cheaper packages forcing you to pay for a slew of unwanted channels just to include the 2 - 3 you do want to watch.
Our best bet is to put pressure on Congress to force providers into allowing menu selection and to prohibit the providers from hiking per channel prices up artificially to make up for their lost revenue. Obviously people would save a bundle if they can only pick and choose from a menu but if the provider doubled or tripled the "per channel" prices the customers wouldn't save anything - in fact could end up paying more.
Good luck on that idea. LOL we cant even keep gas prices in check and you want the government to regulate TV?
redrum

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#19 Mar 24, 2009
Who would be stupid enough to cut their Sirius XM sub just to save a lousey $13/month? That is damn cheap 24/7 entertainment! The commercial free music is only part of the offering. Heck it would be cheaper to get rid of the newspaper sub and read news online... Oh, wait...
abc

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#20 Mar 24, 2009
Anon wrote:
I pay $6.99/month for my Virgin Mobile phone...plus $.10/minute. I don't give out my cell phone number...my home phone rolls over to my cell phone and if I want to take the call, I answer it...otherwise I have a message that I am away from home and will return the call when I get home. There was a time when we weren't connected to people 24/7. I just choose to not talk on a phone when I'm away from home. My whole mobile phone bill per month is never more than $15. Nobody NEEDS to spend more than that.
Yes,but,what if you have a life.loser

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Digital Video Recorders Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why does the new Digital TV signal suck so bad? (Apr '12) Sep 23 Steve bakatsas 90
News expand the storage capacity of your cable dvr (May '08) Apr '16 Capacity gauge 14
News AT&T's U-verse stages duel with Bright House cable (Dec '08) Jan '15 emmy 131
News Your Online TV Watching Can Now Be Tracked Acro... (Nov '14) Nov '14 report-card 1
News Bright House update in need of fine-tuning (Oct '08) Aug '13 melissa 40
News DirecTV Genie Lets You Record 5 Shows at Once (Oct '12) Oct '12 javi 1
thnk (Oct '12) Oct '12 gvnkamera 1
More from around the web