The French have not forgotten

The French have not forgotten

There are 3 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from May 25, 2009, titled The French have not forgotten. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

As in the past, during this year's Memorial Day Observance elected national, state, and local community officials, along with American veterans associations, will pause and offer words of praise and remembrance for all those American service personnel who made the ultimate sacrifice in the cause of liberty.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

Susan

Fairfax, CA

#1 May 29, 2009
I would like Paul Lessig to know how much I appreciate him writing this wonderful article. My Dad, who is still alive and well at 96, was at Normandy and was part of the Liberation of France. My Dad is a West Point graduate, he spent 33 years in the Army, was assigned to Nato just outside Paris in the early '60's, and I spent my childhood growing up in France. I've lived in Marin since '65 and I visit France often with my 19 yr old son. We love Marin but also France and the French. We especially love Paris and Normandy and have been to the cemetary there many times, most recently August of '08. I loved your article Paul, thank you for writing it. My son and I are always touched and overwhelmed by the wonderful people of Normandy who truly, never forget what the Americans did for them every single day, not just Memorial day and the anniversary of D-Day. There are memorials everywhere, even in the smallest of towns. When total strangers find out we are American they shower us with gratitude and friendship. If any American spends a day or two in Normandy, their opinion of the French, if it is a negative one, will forever be changed. Thank you Paul for writing this wonderful and informative article.
Jim

United States

#2 May 29, 2009
Weren't Bush and Cheney an embarrassment? Freedom Fries. What nerve.
Lady Justice Wins

Oakland, CA

#3 May 29, 2009
Very touching article!!! The men who died in order to free others deserve to be remember always. True heroes and heroines. Too many lives cut down in their prime. Moi aussi, j'adore le fran├žais, le langue et la culture.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Picardie, France Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News France Identifies Second Islamic State Militant... (Nov '14) May '15 -TheExam- 14
poidevin (Mar '15) Mar '15 poidevin 1
News On This Day: France Surrenders to Nazi Germany (Feb '13) Jan '15 Stuart Cudahy 23
News Armed French police patrol in Longpont, north o... (Jan '15) Jan '15 DonPanic 21
News Unseen WW1 photos uncovered (Nov '14) Nov '14 benedict123 2
News Greenwich Group Hosts Talk On How American Wome... (Nov '14) Nov '14 benedict123 1
News Two nights in France (Apr '14) Apr '14 rio 5
More from around the web