Painter, printmaker Karl Kasten dies at age 94

May 16, 2010 Read more: Canada Views

Acclaimed painter and printmaker Karl Kasten, a professor emeritus in the University of California, Berkeley's Department of Art Practice and a leading figure in "The Berkeley School" of abstract expressionism, died at his Berkeley home on May 3 at the age of 94.

Read more
Peggy Reskin

Richmond, CA

#1 May 18, 2010
Being neighbors with Karl and Georgette Kasten for 17 years was to have the feeling of a life worth living graciously, generously, genuinely and in living color. Many mornings, Karl would be at his most recent white volvo station wagon-didn't believe in new cars and loved to shining her up. Many "important" artists, professors were in their home, but their home, the Castle, we called it-was warm and receptive and interested in life all around them. Georgette had the house humming whenever my daughter Beth was there. My daughter, Beth and ChoAn were the best of friends; there were years of Beth having camping trips and dinners with the Kastens festively presented with one or more guests.

Karl's work was all throughout their home, and the guests who came were made to feel welcomed, enjoyed. Karl was a vibrant, alive man-one of a kind; and our life was the richer for knowing he, Georgette, ChoAnn and later Lee, the grandson, who became friends with Jon, my son.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pays de La Loire, France Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1 room flat for rent in singapore Mar '15 Goh 1
News STX France Starts A 4 Oasis Construction Feb '15 Ben Garrison 1
News U.S. magazine sellers scramble to find new 'Cha... Jan '15 DumbNighurs 1
News Eleven dead in Paris massacre Jan '15 Johnson 22
News Mistral ships won't be delivered to Russia Nov.... Jan '15 MOMIN ANSARI 32
News France suspends delivery of warship to Russia Dec '14 coyote 32
News Ukraine Says Russia Has Stopped Delivering Coal... Dec '14 Zeppelin 15
More from around the web