Austinites describe chaos of ship acc...

Austinites describe chaos of ship accident off Italy

There are 20 comments on the Austin American-Statesman story from Jan 15, 2012, titled Austinites describe chaos of ship accident off Italy. In it, Austin American-Statesman reports that:

The luxury cruise ship Costa Concordia leans on its side Saturday after running aground off the tiny Italian island of Giglio.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Austin American-Statesman.

William

Peterborough, Canada

#1 Jan 15, 2012
If the Captain of the ship is at fault, then hang him. Or prison for the rest of his life. When you have that many lives in your hands, you MUST do what is right. Obviously he did not for many reasons including incompetence of the crew!
- William
ronan

UK

#2 Jan 15, 2012
William wrote:
If the Captain of the ship is at fault, then hang him. Or prison for the rest of his life. When you have that many lives in your hands, you MUST do what is right. Obviously he did not for many reasons including incompetence of the crew!
- William
Some hasty conclusion from you here!
Could we have an enquiry first before jumping to conclusion.
I know that people like scapegoat, but there are many aspects of this shipwreck to examine first.
I have never heard of a captain being hung or even getting a life sentence for a shipwreck. That sounds very bolshevik to me!
A suspension of the licence or a revovation is harsh already.
Alexandre le Grand

Keratsíni, Greece

#3 Jan 15, 2012
mayeb British engineering is at fault here. a full investigation is needed. kind of reminds me of another british ship called Titanic
William

Peterborough, Canada

#4 Jan 16, 2012
PS
Also hold accountable the Board of Directors and the CEO and the owners of the ship?
And also the government officials that failed to verify that regulations were not followed.
And murder in what ever form deserves a proper sentence and NOT the loss of a license, etc.
Check the news resports and you will realize that there are many violations in the operation of that cruise ship!
- William
ronan

UK

#5 Jan 16, 2012
William wrote:
PS
And murder in what ever form deserves a proper sentence and NOT the loss of a license, etc.
Murder? But there was no murder!!
I don't think the captain deliberately chose to cause death; which is the legal definition of murder.

At most there was unvoluntary manslaughter caused by negligence, but even that has to be proven.

It has to be proven that the Captain knew the risk before departing from the set course. If it didn't, or if the risk wasn't obvious, there is hardly any negligence.

In that case, at most, he could be accused of contravening company rules.
the examiner

Montréal, Canada

#6 Jan 16, 2012
I think he ordered the ship to move too close to the shore to please the maitre d'hotel of the cruise restaurant and it must have hit a big rock (not iceberg this time) and the ship was cut on the side, water started pouring in. That's what I heard from the news. Also when the captain learned that the ship already tilted 20 degrees. Then the captain might be sued for leaving the ship before the passengers and children. He will need a good lawyer
Alexandre

Keratsíni, Greece

#7 Jan 17, 2012
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
Murder? But there was no murder!!
I don't think the captain deliberately chose to cause death; which is the legal definition of murder.
At most there was unvoluntary manslaughter caused by negligence, but even that has to be proven.
It has to be proven that the Captain knew the risk before departing from the set course. If it didn't, or if the risk wasn't obvious, there is hardly any negligence.
In that case, at most, he could be accused of contravening company rules.
Look who is defending the captain. I am sure you would just have done the same in his situation. You are a coward to boot Ronan.

It's not a crime, if you can get away with it, like with everything else in life, right?
ronan

UK

#8 Jan 17, 2012
Alexandre wrote:
<quoted text>
Look who is defending the captain. I am sure you would just have done the same in his situation. You are a coward to boot Ronan.
It's not a crime, if you can get away with it, like with everything else in life, right?
I am not defending the captain, you idiot. I am just correcting another poster who calls his action "murder".
How wrong the captain was, that doesn't constitue a murder in the legal term.
Also, why are people jumping to conclusion before the end of the enquiry; there may be other facts that will come to light when everything is examined.
In the West, I have never heard of derth sentence or life sentence for a shipwreck!
Alexandre

Keratsíni, Greece

#9 Jan 17, 2012
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not defending the captain, you idiot. I am just correcting another poster who calls his action "murder".
How wrong the captain was, that doesn't constitue a murder in the legal term.
Also, why are people jumping to conclusion before the end of the enquiry; there may be other facts that will come to light when everything is examined.
In the West, I have never heard of derth sentence or life sentence for a shipwreck!
no you are defending a criminal!!! because you are a criminal yourself.

the captain should be swiftly tried and shot against a wall. He killed 30 people, including French people (!). He should be executed for it.

~A~
ronan

UK

#10 Jan 17, 2012
Alexandre wrote:
<quoted text>
no you are defending a criminal!!! because you are a criminal yourself.
the captain should be swiftly tried and shot against a wall. He killed 30 people, including French people (!). He should be executed for it.
~A~
Just tell me which civilised country put people against the wall after a shoty trial to shot them.

You give an insight of your sad mentality and lack of intelligence.

There is thankfully a difference between your morbid fantasy and reality.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#11 Jan 18, 2012
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
Some hasty conclusion from you here!
Could we have an enquiry first before jumping to conclusion.
I know that people like scapegoat, but there are many aspects of this shipwreck to examine first.
I have never heard of a captain being hung or even getting a life sentence for a shipwreck. That sounds very bolshevik to me!
A suspension of the licence or a revovation is harsh already.
I don't recommend hanging the captain, either, but it appears he was a few miles off the regular course of the cruise that is still unexplained and he abandoned ship which is very shameful to say the least. He is responsible for 11 deaths with 29 missing soon to be added to the death toll.

I can't believe the captain took a rescue boat to shore before the ship's patrons and crew members and then called a taxi to go home!

He is a coward. I have no idea what the court will sentence him with but I am betting he never captains a ship again!! I hope he has a back-up career.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#12 Jan 18, 2012
ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not defending the captain, you idiot. I am just correcting another poster who calls his action "murder".
How wrong the captain was, that doesn't constitue a murder in the legal term.
Also, why are people jumping to conclusion before the end of the enquiry; there may be other facts that will come to light when everything is examined.
In the West, I have never heard of derth sentence or life sentence for a shipwreck!
The only death sentence I know of is the captain of the Titanic. He went down with the ship!
ronan

UK

#13 Jan 18, 2012
TomSawyer65 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't recommend hanging the captain, either, but it appears he was a few miles off the regular course of the cruise that is still unexplained and he abandoned ship which is very shameful to say the least. He is responsible for 11 deaths with 29 missing soon to be added to the death toll.
I can't believe the captain took a rescue boat to shore before the ship's patrons and crew members and then called a taxi to go home!
He is a coward. I have no idea what the court will sentence him with but I am betting he never captains a ship again!! I hope he has a back-up career.
Obviously the captain was at fault and found wanting in the evacuation of the boat, and he will probably be found guilty of many accusations. The exact cause of the shipwreck have to be established.

One thing I can say for having been onboard modern cruise ships myself, is that most of the time, the captain doesn't steer the ship himself. A member of the crew does that! In the high sea, most ships are automatically controled by GPS, just like aircraft are on auto-pilot in flight. Also, most modern ships not only have radar for checking the surface, but also sonar to sound underwater and warn of any obstacle. Modern ships are not sailing blind like the Titanic, and the crew has equipment to ring alarm.

Now, were the warnings ignored or was that equipment faulty, not correctly calibrated or disconnected, this is why an enquiry should determine.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#14 Jan 18, 2012
First of all, let me say that the Titanic wasn't blinding sailing. The men in the crow's nest didn't see the iceberg for a number of possible reasons so when they did sound the alarm they were going to fast to turn the massive boat hence colliding with the deadly iceberg.

And it looks like there wasn't any mechanical or technical failures and if there were the captain should have called in a mayday.

The Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera and Il Tirreno reported that the captain of the ship, Costa Concordia, which sank after colliding with rocks on the coast of Italy on Friday, made a risky maneuver to approach the island of Giglio, in order to pay tribute to their colleagues.
ronan

UK

#15 Jan 18, 2012
TomSawyer65 wrote:
The Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera and Il Tirreno reported that the captain of the ship, Costa Concordia, which sank after colliding with rocks on the coast of Italy on Friday, made a risky maneuver to approach the island of Giglio, in order to pay tribute to their colleagues.
I think that anyone with a bit of common sense will wait for the result of the enquiry, and probably the evidences coming out during the captain's trial, rather than the gossips printed in Italian tabloids.

In similar tragedies, there are always plenty of self appointed 'experts' coming out of the woodwork, and offering hasty conclusion for public consumption.

That the captain didn't seem to be up to the job during the ship evacuation is not in question, but his exact responsability in the actual wreck has to be evaluated calmly.

If human error is found to be the determining factor in this tragedy, maybe that another form of command structure has to be put in place in such ship, restricting the captain's choice to deviate from established routes. This is the age of hi-tec after all.
Chris Gray

Andover, UK

#16 Jan 21, 2012
I have read comments from those posted and I can see that Ronan is very intelligent and sensible in his approach to what has happened, as we all know in these situations reports made are some time made up to make the story's more credible.The whole thing is all very sad my heart goes out to the families that have lost loved ones, I feel their pain. lets focus our thoughts on them, not on retribution and setting up a hang them on site gang, I thought those days were over and the world is trying to make the whole world a place were we think with our heads and hearts before being judge and jury.
Alexandre

Keratsíni, Greece

#17 Jan 22, 2012
Chris Gray wrote:
I have read comments from those posted and I can see that Ronan is very intelligent and sensible in his approach to what has happened, as we all know in these situations reports made are some time made up to make the story's more credible.The whole thing is all very sad my heart goes out to the families that have lost loved ones, I feel their pain. lets focus our thoughts on them, not on retribution and setting up a hang them on site gang, I thought those days were over and the world is trying to make the whole world a place were we think with our heads and hearts before being judge and jury.
Today he puts on a different mask, Ronan is now "Chris Gray". Different name, same sick mind.
What mask will he put on tomorrow?

~Alexandre~

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#18 Jan 26, 2012
Any news yet, Ronan...I mean Chris....whatever name you are using today.

I am waiting patiently as you suggested :-)

Has a trial date been set? I am also waiting for the little black box details.
ronan

UK

#19 Jan 26, 2012
TomSawyer65 wrote:
Any news yet, Ronan...I mean Chris....whatever name you are using today.
I am waiting patiently as you suggested :-)
Has a trial date been set? I am also waiting for the little black box details.
It's a bit premature to expect results at this point.
The salvage of the ship hasn't been started yet, and the full exploration of the wreck hasn't been completed yet by the rescue services.
An enquiry will be made once the Concordia will be secured in some way and a trial will probably enue; that will take months, if not years. That's normal procedure in naval disasters: the conclusions take a long time to emerge.

BRW, I am no Chris Gray.
El Cid

Austin, TX

#20 Jan 28, 2012
Terrible, am just glad most people got off considering how many were on board. My mom still has nightmares from her childhood when she was on the Wilhelm Gustloff when it sank with 10,000 people lost.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marseilles, France Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Bach' racism drama angers (Jun '14) Jul '15 yvonne sinclaire 4
Jesus/Yeshua is Pre-existent Son of God and onl... Apr '15 Donna Lee 2
Report Published: "Futur Telecom SA - Strategic... Mar '15 Hepeternelligan 1
News On This Day: France Implements the Final Execut... (Feb '15) Feb '15 dang 1
News Orcem plans 'green' cement plant on Mare Island (Jul '14) Jul '14 sad sack sammie 9
News Minneapolis: Town Talk Diner to be reborn with ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 cowboy chris 1
News Jewish museum shooting suspect captured (Jun '14) Jun '14 rio 20
More from around the web