On This Day: Jean-Francois Champollio...

On This Day: Jean-Francois Champollion Announces Decipherment o...

There are 8 comments on the findingDulcinea story from Sep 27, 2009, titled On This Day: Jean-Francois Champollion Announces Decipherment o.... In it, findingDulcinea reports that:

On Sept. 27, 1822, Jean-Francois Champollion presented his paper "Lettre M. Dacier," which announced the first successful decipherment of Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at findingDulcinea.

andrew panns

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Nov 15, 2009
mokanga choclate donkeys
Janet

Portland, OR

#2 Nov 16, 2009
andrew panns wrote:
mokanga choclate donkeys
Is that your version of Egyptian hieroglyphics?
neil harrington

Melbourne, Australia

#3 Jan 25, 2010
Champollion- genius!
fattard

Schenectady, NY

#4 Mar 3, 2010
i hate it
im doing ur mom

Schenectady, NY

#5 Mar 3, 2010
im doing ur mom
Ashley

Mukilteo, WA

#6 Mar 14, 2010
I am writing a paper on the Rosetta Stone. I was wondering if Mr. Champollion found the Rosetta Stone in the middle of a war? My teacher told me that and i wanted to see if it was true or false. Please comment back if you know the awnser! and stop writing things that are so icky!
Alexvizzio

Mexico

#7 Sep 27, 2010
Ashley wrote:
I am writing a paper on the Rosetta Stone. I was wondering if Mr. Champollion found the Rosetta Stone in the middle of a war? My teacher told me that and i wanted to see if it was true or false. Please comment back if you know the awnser! and stop writing things that are so icky!
It was during the French-England war in Egypt in early 1800´s when the french army found it but had to turn it over to the British as an agreement during the French retreat. In fact, Champollion used hand made copies to study the stone because Young (in England) would hamper attempts from the french to access to it.
P.s. And don´t fret: You´ll find losers on almost every forum.
Alexvizzio

Mexico

#8 Sep 27, 2010
It was during the French-British war in Egypt in the early 1800´s when the french army found it but they had to turn it over to the british as a part of an agreement during the french retreat. In fact, Champollion used hand made copies to study the stone since Young would hamper attempts from the part of the french to have access to it.
P.s. Don´t fret, there´s losers on almost every forum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grenoble, France Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cannes & Cote Cote d'Azur ummer Jobs TEFL Teach... (Feb '10) Feb '15 Helen Wright 11
News On This Day: Jean-Francois Champollion Announce... Feb '15 zubair 1
News Behind mask of secularism, France... (Nov '13) Nov '13 alexandre 3
News Corys Thunder incentives head to Council (Mar '13) Mar '13 AUC 39
News Hollywood diplomacy in France shows up Sarkozy (Aug '10) Aug '12 carolgreen77 7
News Himalayan glaciers resist global warming (Apr '12) Jun '12 KARAM BALOCH 14
News Glacier Resists Global Warming (Apr '12) Apr '12 JosephMendiola 1
More from around the web