Ferrari boss: Alonso penalty was hars...

Ferrari boss: Alonso penalty was harshFerrari Formula One boss Stefano Domenicali remains optimis...

There are 90 comments on the AutoWeek story from Jul 11, 2010, titled Ferrari boss: Alonso penalty was harshFerrari Formula One boss Stefano Domenicali remains optimis.... In it, AutoWeek reports that:

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali was not happy with the drive-through penalty given to Fernando Alonso at the British Grand Prix on Sunday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AutoWeek.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Ferrari failure

Blacklick, OH

#1 Jul 13, 2010
A 2-time WDC should know the rules. Alonso has no one but himself to blame for the drive through penalty. What a disastrous weekend or Scuderia Ferrari, all self-inflicted. It seems they've had another mid-season meltdown, even with refueling taken out of the equation.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#2 Jul 13, 2010
Ferrari failure wrote:
A 2-time WDC should know the rules. Alonso has no one but himself to blame for the drive through penalty. What a disastrous weekend or Scuderia Ferrari, all self-inflicted. It seems they've had another mid-season meltdown, even with refueling taken out of the equation.
I also wondered over how it wasn't clear for him from the beginning that he has to give back the position immediately to avoid a penalty?

Wonder what he was thinking?

The irony was that he had stressed over the fact before Silverstone that one should not gain anything by the penalty so that he can keep his position and they changed the rules after that.

What if FIA changes the rules again to suit Ferrari's wishes and we see in the next race someone cutting the chicane while overtaking Alonso and not having to give his position back?

This is getting ridiculous already. Everything has to serve them. Spare car after Alonso destroyed his own in Monaco practice, backmarkers out after they slowed him down, not harsh enough penalties to drivers when Lewis served his penalty and was still ahead of him - this is going to be a neverending story soon if Ferrari doesn't stop complaining in public about FIA and the regulations.

Next thing we hear is that FIA is after Ferrari and they are the victims here.

“F1”

Since: Jul 08

Roswell, GA

#3 Jul 13, 2010
Icegirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I also wondered over how it wasn't clear for him from the beginning that he has to give back the position immediately to avoid a penalty?
Wonder what he was thinking?
The irony was that he had stressed over the fact before Silverstone that one should not gain anything by the penalty so that he can keep his position and they changed the rules after that.
What if FIA changes the rules again to suit Ferrari's wishes and we see in the next race someone cutting the chicane while overtaking Alonso and not having to give his position back?
This is getting ridiculous already. Everything has to serve them. Spare car after Alonso destroyed his own in Monaco practice, backmarkers out after they slowed him down, not harsh enough penalties to drivers when Lewis served his penalty and was still ahead of him - this is going to be a neverending story soon if Ferrari doesn't stop complaining in public about FIA and the regulations.
Nicole, you wonder what he was thinking? Here it from Domenicali himself, you know the man that tells Alonso what to do in this case:

Ferrari asked the race director whether Alonso should give the place back, but by the time they received confirmation they should, Kubica had dropped back with a mechanical problem that would lead to his retirement.

The race stewards nevertheless issued the penalty.

"You can have a situation where immediately there is a possibility to give position back to a driver if you feel there is really an advantage to be gained, but we felt that was not the case, otherwise we would have done it," Domenicali continued.

"As soon as we received the information that in the opinion of the stewards Fernando should have given back position to Robert, he was already very far behind and was really slowing down because he had a problem.

"We feel [the penalty] is very harsh."

Does that answer it?- it put them in another bad luck situation, Alonso was forced off, had he not been forced then I think you would have more basis.. plz correct me if im wrong if you didnt see him forced off to avoid accident.

The differance here with Hamitlon and Kimmi is Hamitlon meant to cut corners and was not forced off by kimi..

Location hidden

#4 Jul 13, 2010
Smokey, the way I saw it was that Alonso was trying to force Kubica off the track but Kubica held his position which led to Alonso having to cut the chicane and that's why he should have given the position back immediately.

I don't know if Alonso thinks that everybody shold just give him room or what he thought to be honest?

I just watched the situation again and that's what happened. Had there been a wall instead of a chicane this would never have happened. He should have given the place back immediately instead of wheeling and dealing with the race stewards.

“F1”

Roswell, GA

#5 Jul 13, 2010
Icegirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Nicole, he was forced off and avoided collision. Do you think Alonso should kept his line and crashed? If he was forced off while overtaking and still managed to pass i dont see why a penalty was served at all. Its not like he passed the saftey car and gained 16 postions or antyhing.. i mean, that would be considered a massive cheat? right? Nope not to the FIA!! haha. what a joke..

You want to say that everything has to serve Ferrari?? Are you freakin serious? Here are some examples.. in a typical synario any other driver would be cut positions:

GRANDPRIX.COM - Lewis Hamilton has kept his Canadian GP pole position but been reprimanded and fined $10,000 for being in breach of article 15.1 of the F1 sporting regulations.

After setting his pole position time, Hamilton stopped on his slowdown lap and exceeded the maximum time for getting back to the pits as per a document issued by race director Charlie Whiting to the teams on Friday.

There was a degree of controversy over the fact that Hamilton had obviously run slightly lighter on his final qualifying lap, an advantage, as evidence by the fact that the car did not have enough fuel to get back to the pits on its slowdown lap.

"Sounds cheap to me..." said Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn with a smile on his face when hearing of the penalty.

want more?? i got more..

- AUTOSPORT - Renault driver Robert Kubica suggested Hamilton should have been given a penalty at Sepang, stating that the rules regarding that kind of move are clear.(in regards to weaving)

no wait.. still more..

the 16 position advantage and saftey car over take.. haha i think the list will continue as the season goes on..

Location hidden

#6 Jul 13, 2010
Smokey, he did overtake by cutting the chicane.

Mark Webber's actions have been completely accepted here so I don't really see the difference except Alonso cut the chicane and hence got an unfair advantage. He should have not taken the risk in the first place or then he should have given the place back immediately.

So question is: Isn't Kubica allowed to race against Alonso?

About the penalty again. Thanks to Alonso the regulations were changed and he got to experience for himself what he had wanted ;)

“F1”

Roswell, GA

#7 Jul 13, 2010
Icegirl wrote:
Smokey, the way I saw it was that Alonso was trying to force Kubica off the track but Kubica held his position which led to Alonso having to cut the chicane and that's why he should have given the position back immediately.
really you saw alonso try to force kubica? were??? i never saw alonso trying to go for kubica like that, they both kept their lines, Kubica made a quick jerk to alonso on the first turn which alonso reacted to by going off track to avoid a crash. i also think he should have given it back, but they felt they were forced off and didnt have to give it back. I can understand that and see its issue which was revealed by the stewards ruling.. but to say alonso thinks everyone should move out his way is plain rubbish.
Icegirl wrote:
He should have given the place back immediately instead of wheeling and dealing with the race stewards.
you mean like the way Hamilton held a 16 position advantage for passing the saftey car and "wheeling and dealing" with the stewards? haha hmm... i wonder who came out with a "deal" or should i say "steal"

“F1”

Roswell, GA

#8 Jul 13, 2010
Icegirl wrote:
Smokey, he did overtake by cutting the chicane.
Mark Webber's actions have been completely accepted here so I don't really see the difference except Alonso cut the chicane and hence got an unfair advantage. He should have not taken the risk in the first place or then he should have given the place back immediately.
So question is: Isn't Kubica allowed to race against Alonso?
About the penalty again. Thanks to Alonso the regulations were changed and he got to experience for himself what he had wanted ;)
So how come Hamilton can pass 16 cars and not have to give it back? wanst hamiltons ruling the same?(gained an advantage) If not worse (16 positions)??

- see my point now everyone? who is getting all the lieniency?? hmmm...

Nicole,

The only thing your pointing out is Alonso isnt a hypocrit he stands by his decisions even if he has to serve them himself.. trust me what goes around comes around, and in f1 things can change quick..

“F1”

Roswell, GA

#9 Jul 13, 2010
Hamiltons championship is tainted for this reason.. "cheating and getting away with it"

Kinda like everyone likes to point out Alonsos second WDC was "tainted" by the illegal car Flavio gave him..

Whats the differance? A cheating car or a cheating driver?? nothing.. they are both the same..

Singapore still cant prove alonso cheated thats a fact, only poeple can assume...

Hamilton shows people on live tv why he's been labeled a cheater and he does it all on his own! i can prove it with you tube videos.. anyone wanna dispute this?? cmon.. lol

here here.. hamilton fanns.. i got somethin for you all.. lol its called PROOF!!! hahaa

Forza Alonso! they are in a slump but watch out! they have the pace..:)

Location hidden

#10 Jul 13, 2010
Smokey, Alonso raged after Valencia and demanded that the rules should be changed.

They changed the rules and he cannot complain about it anymore, can he?

Location hidden

#11 Jul 13, 2010
Yes Smokey, he did stand by it only Ferrari is already complaining about it.

“F1”

Roswell, GA

#12 Jul 13, 2010
Ferrari failure wrote:
Your right so should a 1 time WDC like hamilton.. over-weaving, passing the saftey car, gaining 16 positions illigally, geting pole position by not being able to drive back to your pits??

- pfft lmao..

“F1”

Roswell, GA

#13 Jul 13, 2010
Icegirl wrote:
Smokey, Alonso raged after Valencia and demanded that the rules should be changed.
They changed the rules and he cannot complain about it anymore, can he?
Of course alonso raged.. i dont see why you support the opposite. hamilton clearly cheated. He should have been disqualified or handed a stop and go.. 16 positions nicole.. SIXTEEN positions.. if kimi were in that mix i think youd see the light but my god.. what were poeple smoking during that race? why was alonso the only one to point this out? oh maybe its becuase everyone else was handed some kind of penalty... everyone that cheated got an advantage that race untill the stewards stepped in. Alonso and Massa were more repremanded by following the rules!

your statments are proving that alonso should not to say anything about the cheating attempt, support a blatant ignorace to the rules and regulations and not say anything???

No wonder Alonso didnt give the position back.. lol everyone thinks its okay to cheat apparently! haha

oh wait.. no not when alonso does.. tsk tsk.. lol - haters maybe?

“F1”

Roswell, GA

#14 Jul 13, 2010
Icegirl wrote:
Yes Smokey, he did stand by it only Ferrari is already complaining about it.
yes i saw, but Mclaren steps in for Lewis ALL THE TIME and nothing is said about that right? so why the bash wagon on ferrari?? lol - just proving a point here..:)

“F1”

Roswell, GA

#15 Jul 13, 2010
silence.. from the hamilton fans, classic.. lol

Location hidden

#16 Jul 13, 2010
Smokey, what are you smoking?

It was a situation where the difference was so small that it was difficult to even see if he overtook or not. And he was given the proper penalty after that. Hamilton didn't intend to cheat, remember the hulabaloo in Australia where he wasn't sure if he is supposed to give the place back or not - and he gave it back to be on the safe side.

But you never see penalties come to the screen right away, they are always delayed and it can take over 30 minutes before they make a decision. It has always been like that. Ferrari can't just call Whiting and get a penalty right away, it doesn't work that way.

The penalty was fair and earlier the team has called the driver in to serve the penalty when they see that it brings least disadvantage, that's how it has been. Until now of course and the irony was that the penalty is now to be served within 3 laps but after Alonso's demands one can't serve the penalty if one gains advantage of it so Alonso had to wait for his penalty to be served so he doesn't get any advantage.

But he stressed upon regulations to be changed that way himself.

Location hidden

#17 Jul 13, 2010
Okay Smokey, here we go:

Alonso-Kubica, the revenge of the Penguin

Published by Leo Turrini Tue, 13/07/2010 - 14:41

I returned to Italy and just want to say to my gang of desperados as follows. You know the episode last Sunday between Kubica and Alonso? Overtaking cutting the chicane, the Spaniard does not immediately 'returne' the position, the alleged late decision of Commissioners of FIA and bla bla bla?

All right. In fact, bad.

Today, Charlie Whiting, has announced the following:

1) As soon as the commissioners saw the operation of El Banco against the Polish they immediately warned the Ferrari pit wall that the Spaniard had to give way to compatriot John Paul II

2) In the Ferrari pit wall, where it must be hard to hear, they pretended that they didn't understand.

3) The radio communication (Alonso must give back the position he unfairly got) was repeated three times. Three times!

4) Question: My friend Domenicali, to whom I have brought a vuvuzela to put it freely where he sees it fit, does not understand English? Was the message given by Radio Warsaw?

5) This clarification of Whiting is further proof, if you mean things going on behind the scenes, of a clear will of the Penguin. Alias Jean Todt. Since you are all very cute, I'll stop here, leaving you to think.

“F1”

Roswell, GA

#18 Jul 13, 2010
me smoking the question is WHAT am i smoking?? lol

If Hamilton didnt intend to cheat why did he slowed down.. he looked at the saftey car, looked at alonso behind him, and went for it.. i think he did intend to. If he knew he couldnt pass the saftey car he wouldnt have slowed down.. the car was an entire F1 car length ahead of him.. its pretty clear in the replays!

I understand alonso some what shot himself in the foot with the rule changes. Either way everyone will play into that ruling. alonso ironicly served it first but with time everyone will also be a victim of the changes. Whats important is Alonso himself hasnt said anything against it, ferrari is but thats always expected as Witmarsh for Hami, Brawn for Schumi, Horner for Vettel, the list goes on..

“F1”

Roswell, GA

#19 Jul 13, 2010
Icegirl wrote:
Okay Smokey, here we go:

1) As soon as the commissioners saw the operation of El Banco against the Polish they immediately warned the Ferrari pit wall that the Spaniard had to give way to compatriot John Paul II
- intresting
Icegirl wrote:
2) In the Ferrari pit wall, where it must be hard to hear, they
pretended that they didn't understand.
- Domenicalis fault, not Alonsos then..
Icegirl wrote:
3) The radio communication (Alonso must give back the position he unfairly got) was repeated three times. Three times!
- Domenicalis fault, not Alonsos..
Icegirl wrote:
4) Question: My friend Domenicali, to whom I have brought a vuvuzela to put it freely where he sees it fit, does not understand English? Was the message given by Radio Warsaw?
- maybe they should have spoken Italian? lol
Icegirl wrote:
5) This clarification of Whiting is further proof, if you mean things going on behind the scenes, of a clear will of the Penguin. Alias Jean Todt. Since you are all very cute, I'll stop here, leaving you to think.
well.. this is news to me, but its all pointing at Domenicali not Alonso, Dom should have passed that info to Alonso asap. The question now is did this communication happen during Kubicas fate or before??

Location hidden

#20 Jul 13, 2010
I'm sorry Smokey but it could very well have been Alonso who deliberately chose not to give the position back. There might have been another reason for him wanting the radio communication off.

This gets a new meaning, something Heikki Kulta wrote from Silverstone paddock after the race:

Ferrari is helplessly falling from the ride. Fernando Alonso's starts have gone sticky and the rest was ruined when he overtook Kubica by cutting the chicane. Alonso who is known for his clever mind should have even subconsciously understood that he should have given the position back.

According to hearsay even Stefano Domenicali was irritated over Alonso's trick.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

ING Renault F1 Racing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fernando Alonso not unduly negative despite sta... Jun '17 The phartse 3
News Montoya in talks with Renault? (Feb '06) Jan '17 wagonball 27
News Formula 1's Latest Rumours, Talk: Sebastian Vet... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Rbelo 1
News Air times announced for NBCSN documentary, 'Haa... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Go HAAS F1 2
News F1 ACCESS30 Mar 2015 Alonso: McLaren exceeded m... (Apr '15) Apr '15 stewart scott 2
News F1 ACCESS01 Apr 2015 Say what? The best of race... (Apr '15) Apr '15 stewart scott 2
News It's time to close Formula 1's cockpits (Oct '14) Oct '14 ramosel 1
More from around the web