Schu Unsure Of Merc's British Potential

Schu Unsure Of Merc's British Potential

There are 2 comments on the Planet-F1.com story from Jul 4, 2010, titled Schu Unsure Of Merc's British Potential. In it, Planet-F1.com reports that:

Michael Schumacher is not making any predictions ahead of the British GP after Mercedes GP slumped to their worst result of the season in Valencia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Planet-F1.com.

Ralph C

Eureka, CA

#1 Jul 4, 2010
MS was successful at a time when the rules (allowing testing) suited his working methodology. He was/is very methodical and careful. He built each step forward on the previous one. That was very creditable, but is is not how F1 is now.

Now that he can't do endless hours of testing his basic (lack of) raw talent is showing. Some *true racers* can simply get the best out of whatever car you give them. That is not MS's strength. I am reminded of two drivers from decades ago. Graham Hill had little raw talent (his own admission) but compensated by practicing for endless hours, because he loved racing. Stirling Moss, however, had the raw talent I mentioned. Put him in any car and within a lap or two he would be at the car's limit. He didn't need, nor liked to do, vast amounts of testing for the engineers.

Each champion is a product of the time and context in which they compete. Thus it is ridiculous to compare champions from different eras. My conclusion is that MS should have left his reputation intact and not tried to make a comeback.
barry alonso

Stockport, UK

#2 Jul 6, 2010
Ralph C wrote:
MS was successful at a time when the rules (allowing testing) suited his working methodology. He was/is very methodical and careful. He built each step forward on the previous one. That was very creditable, but is is not how F1 is now.
Now that he can't do endless hours of testing his basic (lack of) raw talent is showing. Some *true racers* can simply get the best out of whatever car you give them. That is not MS's strength. I am reminded of two drivers from decades ago. Graham Hill had little raw talent (his own admission) but compensated by practicing for endless hours, because he loved racing. Stirling Moss, however, had the raw talent I mentioned. Put him in any car and within a lap or two he would be at the car's limit. He didn't need, nor liked to do, vast amounts of testing for the engineers.
Each champion is a product of the time and context in which they compete. Thus it is ridiculous to compare champions from different eras. My conclusion is that MS should have left his reputation intact and not tried to make a comeback.
totally agree

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nico Rosberg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lewis Hamilton calls in sick, misses Pirelli F1... (Oct '16) Oct '16 proflagger 1
News Formula 1's Latest Rumours, Talk: Sebastian Vet... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Rbelo 1
News Nico Rosberg makes it seven in a row with victo... (May '16) May '16 Go HAAS F1 1
News Lewis Hamilton walks his dog on a UNICYCLE as h... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Fart news 2
Nico Rosberg Fan Club www.nicorosberg.es (Aug '08) Apr '15 f1 flowers 4
News Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo was quickest on the... (Feb '15) Feb '15 S Williams 1
News Lewis Hamilton, pictured, put his most recent s... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Anonymous 1
More from around the web