Hamilton runs away with F-1 opener

Hamilton runs away with F-1 opener

There are 35 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 17, 2008, titled Hamilton runs away with F-1 opener. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Lewis Hamilton made it look easy. McLaren Mercedes Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain waves to the crowd as he completes a victory lap after winning the Australian Grand Prix at the Albert Park ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“"Deeds not Words"”

Since: Dec 07

Brownsburg, IN via Olympia, WA

#1 Mar 17, 2008
Managed to watch the first 15 laps before losing interest. Just wondered if there was any passing. Follow the leader isn't what I call racing.
KeithJS

Rockford, IL

#2 Mar 17, 2008
Nice driving by Sebastian Bourdais. He was running 4th late in the race before his engine blew. He's on what's considered a 2nd or 3rd tier team, so he did quite a bit better than he was expected to.
Chris

Lancaster, UK

#3 Mar 17, 2008
Oh dear, it seems a little quiet around here, i wonder why, come on then, lets have all your dum ass excuses as to why kimi didnt win, was it bad luck, or just crap driving, i wll go with the latter, Go Lewissssss!!!!!!!!!! No bottling this time, kimi did that for him, HA HA HA AH, Screw you brad, graham, nicole and redneck, graham, you can kiss my british ass aswell, the drivers championship is coming back home!!!!!
HUH

West Manchester, OH

#4 Mar 17, 2008
Rik Smits wrote:
Managed to watch the first 15 laps before losing interest. Just wondered if there was any passing. Follow the leader isn't what I call racing.
You must have watched a different race than I did!
Christopher P

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#5 Mar 17, 2008
No more engine popping with out traction control. We will see who has more car control. Go Nico!
Christopher P

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#6 Mar 17, 2008
Rik Smits wrote:
Doesn't know the difference of checkers and chess. Let me explain to you, nascar being the game of checkers. you like to watch shiny objects going in a circle crashing each other out. It is that kind of simple minded redneck mentality that does not have a clue.
Dave

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Mar 17, 2008
Sebastien Bourdais can drive! That was an impressive performance. He took the Toro Rosso car and had it running 4th with just a couple of laps to go until the engine blew. If I'm not mistaken, that would've been the highest finish ever for that team. Just think what he could do if he was on one of the top tier teams.

“"Deeds not Words"”

#8 Mar 17, 2008
Christopher P wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't know the difference of checkers and chess. Let me explain to you, nascar being the game of checkers. you like to watch shiny objects going in a circle crashing each other out. It is that kind of simple minded redneck mentality that does not have a clue.
So you assume I'm a NASCAR fan. Do you think all NASCAR fans are rednecks? I guess I would assume that all F1 fans are pretentious snobs, with something permanently shoved up their arse. I've tried to watch F1 and even attended the British GP when I was stationed in the UK back in the late 80's and early 90's. However, like I said in an earlier post, follow the leader is boring. You want excitement, watch short track racing.
Christopher P

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#9 Mar 17, 2008
Rik Smits wrote:
<quoted text>
So you assume I'm a NASCAR fan. Do you think all NASCAR fans are rednecks? I guess I would assume that all F1 fans are pretentious snobs, with something permanently shoved up their arse. I've tried to watch F1 and even attended the British GP when I was stationed in the UK back in the late 80's and early 90's. However, like I said in an earlier post, follow the leader is boring. You want excitement, watch short track racing.
Like I said, doesn't have a clue! LOL!!
Christopher P

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#10 Mar 17, 2008
Dave wrote:
Sebastien Bourdais can drive! That was an impressive performance. He took the Toro Rosso car and had it running 4th with just a couple of laps to go until the engine blew. If I'm not mistaken, that would've been the highest finish ever for that team. Just think what he could do if he was on one of the top tier teams.
I agree with you about Sebastian. I am not a big fan of his arrogance but he sure can drive a car.
David

Reno, NV

#11 Mar 17, 2008
There was actually quite a bit of passing. I thought it was one of the more interesting races in recent memory.

I can't believe the Kovalainen screw up on the main straight where he bogged down and Alonso raced by with one lap to go. Someone on SpeedTV last night speculated that instead of him inadvertently bumping his pit limiter while removing a tear off strip, Heikki might have pushed the wrong button on his new steering wheel, thinking it was the radio? I'd love to see last year's Renault steering wheel vs. this year's Ferrari for the placement of the buttons.

Anyway, great race and should set up a wild fight at Malaysia this weekend.
Glore

Cervia, Italy

#12 Mar 17, 2008
This was a very exciting rage... And i'm really happy for nico, he really deserved his first podium...

“"Deeds not Words"”

#13 Mar 17, 2008
Christopher P wrote:
<quoted text> Like I said, doesn't have a clue! LOL!!
So explain the greatness of F1? or better yet, define passing? Would that be 4-5 times a lap or a race? I'm betting on the latter...
Chachi

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Mar 17, 2008
Rik Smits wrote:
<quoted text>
So explain the greatness of F1? or better yet, define passing? Would that be 4-5 times a lap or a race? I'm betting on the latter...
You better get a grip on automobile racing as you know nothing about it. Keep on watching your vehicular wrestling known as nascar, as Robert Duvall was quoted in the movies "Racin is Rubbin". Well that is in the movies and I don't thing you have the mentality for watching real racing such as Indy Car or F-1. No not all nascar fans are rednecks but 96% are. Go Lewi Hamilton!
f1premier

Lansing, MI

#15 Mar 17, 2008
Formula 1 really stands out due to the very tight specifications, the FIA rules outline for the
competitors.

To be successful in such an environment some of the best automotive,aerodynamic,electro nic,structural
engineering minds,(the list goes on) and skilled technicians are employed.
To first meet the minimum requirements of the formula and secondly extract the very best out of this recipe.

Only the very best drivers can extract the potential performance of these machines.
a driver that does not belong quickly stands out like a sore thumb (most japanese and american-
drivers dont ask me why???- most pay drivers and others past their prime).

Millions upon millions of dollars are at stake to win or lose depending on the decisions and
performances of key groups and members of these teams.

To spice things up even further the FIA often changes the rules (or the Formula), which send teams on a fast and furious campaign to stay on top of the ever changing scenery, tracks, technologies or anything that can turn out to be an advantage.

As "THE FORMULA" often changes high flying managers and consultants are needed to control the workflow and processes so these teams don't get lost in all the complexity and still maintain course.

These different talents,teams,backgrounds,agen das,cultures,visions, nationalities MIX,- Add in a measure of politics and a few hundred million viewers worldwide tuning in for the battle on Sunday.

And you are left wondering how all this can happen with the same exact precision every race
weekend.

ITS SPECTACULAR.
Indy Fan in Georgia

Flowery Branch, GA

#16 Mar 17, 2008
PLEASE BRING BACK THE US GP !!!

and any race that that Ferrari is off the podium is a great race !!:-)

“"Deeds not Words"”

#17 Mar 17, 2008
Chachi wrote:
<quoted text> You better get a grip on automobile racing as you know nothing about it. Keep on watching your vehicular wrestling known as nascar, as Robert Duvall was quoted in the movies "Racin is Rubbin". Well that is in the movies and I don't thing you have the mentality for watching real racing such as Indy Car or F-1. No not all nascar fans are rednecks but 96% are. Go Lewi Hamilton!
Actually I'm quite familiar with all kinds of racing. I'm suprised you quoted a movie about NASCAR seeing your obvious distaste for it. I will tell you that I do try to watch F1 but as for the dysfunctional IRL/Cart minor leagues, I'd rather watch grass grow. I believe you meant to say "Go Lewis Hamilton."

“"Deeds not Words"”

#18 Mar 17, 2008
f1premier wrote:
Formula 1 really stands out due to the very tight specifications, the FIA rules outline for the
competitors.
To be successful in such an environment some of the best automotive,aerodynamic,electro nic,structural
engineering minds,(the list goes on) and skilled technicians are employed.
To first meet the minimum requirements of the formula and secondly extract the very best out of this recipe.
Only the very best drivers can extract the potential performance of these machines.
a driver that does not belong quickly stands out like a sore thumb (most japanese and american-
drivers dont ask me why???- most pay drivers and others past their prime).
Millions upon millions of dollars are at stake to win or lose depending on the decisions and
performances of key groups and members of these teams.
To spice things up even further the FIA often changes the rules (or the Formula), which send teams on a fast and furious campaign to stay on top of the ever changing scenery, tracks, technologies or anything that can turn out to be an advantage.
As "THE FORMULA" often changes high flying managers and consultants are needed to control the workflow and processes so these teams don't get lost in all the complexity and still maintain course.
These different talents,teams,backgrounds,agen das,cultures,visions, nationalities MIX,- Add in a measure of politics and a few hundred million viewers worldwide tuning in for the battle on Sunday.
And you are left wondering how all this can happen with the same exact precision every race
weekend.
ITS SPECTACULAR.
Thanks, I appreciate your point.
JAFO

Palo Alto, CA

#20 Mar 18, 2008
Christopher P wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with you about Sebastian. I am not a big fan of his arrogance but he sure can drive a car.
Your arrogance is just as unappealing.
Holy Cow

Palo Alto, CA

#21 Mar 18, 2008
The collection of screwdrivers posting to this forum is classic. Excellent comic relief.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nico Rosberg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nico Rosberg makes it seven in a row with victo... May '16 Go HAAS F1 1
News Lewis Hamilton walks his dog on a UNICYCLE as h... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Fart news 2
Nico Rosberg Fan Club www.nicorosberg.es (Aug '08) Apr '15 f1 flowers 4
News Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo was quickest on the... (Feb '15) Feb '15 S Williams 1
News Lewis Hamilton, pictured, put his most recent s... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Anonymous 1
News F-1 Teams Kick Off Testing At Jerez (Feb '15) Feb '15 F1 Funatic 2
News Were F1 Fans Right to Boo Nico Rosberg on the 2... (Aug '14) Nov '14 Rook 3
More from around the web