Wurz replaces Webber at Williams

Full story: BBC News 22
Formula One team Williams have announced that Austrian Alexander Wurz will replace Mark Webber next season. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
thirsty

Australia

#1 Aug 2, 2006
Sounds to me like a blessing in disguise!! Hopefully Mark will be picked up by a team with competitive machinery and who can see the potential,

Good on you Mark.
F1 impact

Melbourne, Australia

#2 Aug 2, 2006
I believe that should he be given the chance, he would go for Renault rather than McLaren. More reliable race winning and championship winning equipment. He must be happy that he is managed by Flavio. Can you imagine the rivalry between Fisi and Mark?
Autumnpuma

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Aug 2, 2006
Alex is an intelligent, balls-out racer. I'm now looking forward to '07 much more than the rest of '06 thanks to this announcement.
MarkL

United States

#4 Aug 2, 2006
I like Webber at Renault. The problem is that Flavio has pretty much stated that Fissi is their lead driver. I would love to see what Webber can do with a great car and no team orders holding him back. This is another announcement that makes next year an interesting one in F1.
F1 Fan

Sydney, Australia

#5 Aug 2, 2006
I would love to see Mark go to Renault, throughout this whole season so far it causes so much heartache whenever I see Marks Williams break down.
John S Melb Australia

Australia

#6 Aug 2, 2006
There's no doubting Marks ability and courage. Its a real shame that bad timing was Marks enemy at Williams. That leads me to think that a move to Renault next year could also be bad timing.How will Renault perform on Bridgestone rubber and are they on downward performance spiral? My pick for Mark would be McLaren, they have the budget, the resouces and are improving every race. A rabbits foot in his pocket wouldn't be a bad idea either.
TroyK

Australia

#7 Aug 3, 2006
Mark is one of the best drivers in f1, i only hope he gets a drive with Renault or Mclaren, he deserves a car that can show what he is made of.I just hope he does'nt get left with out a drive next season.
Stonyman

Windaroo, Australia

#8 Aug 3, 2006
I hope Mark goes to Renault. He needs a car that can show his potential. He could even win a race before Jenson Button.
Ross

Melbourne, Australia

#9 Aug 3, 2006
Renault or McLaren are good options -- Williams and Toyota I just can't see them achieving anything next year --- Renault has the runs on the board and hopefully the German race showed that McLaren are starting to get their act together -- Toyota have the $ to put a great engine together and one day they will but perhaps not next year and at the end of the day Williams will only be a engine supply customer not the factory team
brooksy

Australia

#10 Aug 3, 2006
stuff williams they do it to all the top drivers mansell etc, they dont deserve webber, get some monkey franck to drive your heaps of shit.
getadogupya

Australia

#11 Aug 3, 2006
yeah baby, a williams car is lower than a lada and you would not see ya dog in one would ya.

Mr williams does it to all the top drivers.
Wrxrtd

Mascot, Australia

#12 Aug 3, 2006
Apparently it was Webbers decision not to re-sign with Williams, that is according to Frank Williams. Read that in an article today.
Also, in a Finnish article I read today, a very close source to Raikkonen has revealed that he is about to sign a 5 year deal with Ferrari.

So hopefully Webber ends up with Renault or Mclaren.

I cannot wait till next season.
Phil

Australia

#13 Aug 4, 2006
It might depend who is on more of a budget - McLaren or Renault. Weber is probably cheaper than the other top drivers at the moment, mainly because he hasn't been winning - even though it hasn't been his fault with his car DNF'ing.

Originally I would have thought Renault, but it seems as though Renault is declining whilst McLaren is increasing. Hope it all goes well for him either way. At least if he's able to finish a race in reasonable car he'll be able to score some substantial points, and in a Renault or McLaren we should expect to get used to seeing him on the podium.
Ale

Spain

#14 Aug 6, 2006
It's been a dreadful season for Mark. I really hope that he finds himself a team to race next year because leaving F1 like this (he's only finished 4 races this season, so far), would be awful. Whether it's at Renault or not, I don't care but he's got a pretty good manager (Briatore) which should help him find another F1 seat. The problem is that there is so much young talent out there and their bound destiny is F1 (Hamilton is the biggest thing now with McLaren), eventually, but then again, there are drivers that have been in this business for a number of years and also, are getting a bit old. No offense to those drivers that are over 30... No, it's all good, as long as the body can handle it, race all you want. The "problem" (if it can be called problem) is that, to this day, there are only 22 F1 seats and there's a lot of demand from those guys in GP2, World Series, etc.(the Hamiltons, Piquets, Sennas...)
Phil

Australia

#15 Aug 7, 2006
So what now with the talk of Red Bull?
Somewhat surprising to me, but if that's the case I'm sure Mark knows what he's doing and is better informed on all aspects than what we are.

Either way, we'll should be ready to see him on the podium a lot (I hope...)
Willow

Australia

#16 Oct 3, 2006
Red bull has renault power for next year and adrian newey designing the car go webber
kelli

Colchester, UK

#17 Oct 4, 2006
and a brilliant team mate in the form of coulthard!
Shannon

Australia

#18 Oct 24, 2006
Both Mark and Red Bull need to get off to a flyer next year in the hope of a good season ... a podium position early on will be needed by Mark if for nothing else other then some confidence, as i think he may have been lacking it towards the latter part of the 2006 season.
RBR and Mark need to work hard over the winter because i think the palying field will be quite level for the start of the season. The remaining big name drivers ... Alonso & Raikkonen have both switched teams ... Renault i don't believe have as strong a team anymore and will be switching to Bridgestone ... and Honda & Toyota, well who knows how they're gonna perform from F1 to F1.
Here's hoping Mark reaches his full potential next season and silences some of his emerging critics.
Sector1

Australia

#19 Oct 24, 2006
Yeah time will tell, Mark seems to have possibly made a backwards step, but realistically almost any team is better than Williams at the moment. I mean only Toro Rosso, Super Aguri and Spyker are behind them at the moment. Williams have just recieved a boost with AT&T giving them major financial backing and Toyota engines for the next few engine frozen years, So things may be looking up but I think the time for Webber to jump ship was right. Red Bull looks promising..very promising, but I can remember thinking that when Webber left for both Jaguar and Williams, so touch wood that history is not repeating itself! The guy has real pace, but I can't help thinking in my heart of hearts that he is somewhat like Fisi in that he can qualify with the best of them but when it comes to consistantly fast laps he tends to lose his spark. The only time I can say that I was genuinely thinking that he was doing this was while watching Monaco earlier this year, damn he was driving the wheels off that car! I am still a big fan and hope my suspicions are proved wrong. Bring on the Australian GP with Webber in a Red Bull!
Sector1

Australia

#20 Oct 24, 2006
Coulthard will always be good but not good enough.. sorry to all the Coulthard fans in the UK and elswhere. He is no champion, I think his years vs Mika Hakkinen proved that. He had his chance to be champion and missed it. Webber will dominate him totally, especially in qualifying. I only see one or two more seasons for him depending on how well he can negotiate his contract. Nice guy though, I think he does good things for F1 on the GPDA and wish him and Red Bull all the best!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nico Rosberg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Were F1 Fans Right to Boo Nico Rosberg on the 2... Nov '14 Rook 3
Nico Rosberg - The new Mercedes-Amg GT is a dre... Sep '14 rossbyron 1
Canadian Grand Prix 2014 live stream free feed ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 loz 1
Mercedes 'integrity' on trial in Montreal paddock (Jun '13) Jun '13 Frank 1
Secret Mercedes test for Pirelli tires angers r... (May '13) May '13 Frank 1
Triple F1 champ Lauda backs Hamilton following ... (May '13) May '13 Frank 1
F1: Brawn uneasy with team orders (Apr '13) Apr '13 naomi 1
More from around the web