Driven to succeed, boos OK with NASCAR's Montoya

Juan Pablo Montoya is looking forward to hearing the boos this season in NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series. Read more
HoosierHusker

Covington, KY

#23 Jan 10, 2008
Go ahead and BOOO. Nobody can hear over the engines. But really WHO CARES? NSCAR is losing TV viewership big time.
boo

United States

#24 Jan 10, 2008
i think its to bad nascar is getting away from grass roots racing. what happen to getting drivers from good ol u s a

Since: Aug 07

AOL

#25 Jan 10, 2008
Neil wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you live in NC too, you know the NASCAR saturation. Of course, you are a NASCAR fan and don't have to deal with put downs about open wheel. I am sick to death of all the people who hate Juan and others because he isn't an American. Who cares? It is 2008. If people still can't stand somebody cause of their background, then they are pathetic. I am not accusing you, but rather saying that I am sick of the hatred towards Hispanics especially. racism and bigotry is the biggest problem in politics, which is why I am so upset that I can't escape prejudice in racing, the haven from politics
Well what ya got to do is stand up for you and your driver. I state facts about Montoya when he gets slammed, because sometimes people say this or that but only are repeating what they hear. It's easy to slam a driver for being a foreigner but what's not easy is for Juan to take it and apply it to get what's he's out there for. He says along as you're talking about him your watching I like that. He'll be fine, I have a feeling F-1 cliques were brutal alot more then Nascar. I love Indycar but my drivers are in both places so it's all good. I have took heat for being an open wheel fan that's when you have to prove you're not being a bigot because you like open wheel. It goes both ways lead by example :)

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#26 Jan 10, 2008
Neil wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you live in NC too, you know the NASCAR saturation. Of course, you are a NASCAR fan and don't have to deal with put downs about open wheel. I am sick to death of all the people who hate Juan and others because he isn't an American. Who cares? It is 2008. If people still can't stand somebody cause of their background, then they are pathetic. I am not accusing you, but rather saying that I am sick of the hatred towards Hispanics especially. racism and bigotry is the biggest problem in politics, which is why I am so upset that I can't escape prejudice in racing, the haven from politics
Truthfully Neil, I'm not hearing too many put downs anymore about Juan. He's certainly the most versatile driver in Cup today and has already proven that. If Chip gives him the equipment he needs I fully expect to see him make the chase this year. Your remark "of course, you are a NASCAR fan" in regards to being from North Carolina shows a little of your own prejudices, Neil. Surely you aren't naive enough to believe there wouldn't be an outcry from a lot of open wheel fans if one of the top Cup drivers moved to the IRL or Champcar. Of course there would and it's natural. Condemning all the fans of a sport over the ignorance of a few isn't right regardless of what form of racing or sport involved. I certainly don't believe all open wheels are represented by the few that come these forums spreading their bigotry and hate. It's the same for the NASCAR fans.
NASCARNORTH

Brooklyn, NY

#27 Jan 11, 2008
Actually, it has nothing to do with race, foreigner (not allthe current drivers are from the south), speaking different ( since Jimmy Johnson, Jeff Gordon and others dont have south in the mouth) etc. What it has do is with lack of experience and the fact that open wheelers are pushing drivers who worked their way thru the nascar system out. Nascar is trying terrible to enhance the appeal of the sport by destroying it. Just because you are an Indy champ doesn't mean you automatically know how to drive a stock car. Secondly, NASCAR is going to alienate drivers from wanting to come up from CARA, Bussch, Winston west stc because those guys will loose out to open wheelers who just waltz in and take a top ride. As far as Montoya he is skilled and seasoned as an open wheeler, but his lack of experence, attitude and acting out on his frustrations shows. He was certainly not ROTY material; but NASCAR will do anything (PC)to add to the appeal as ratings drop. Keep opne wheelers out ; if they want in they should at least be subject to spending 2 years in bush, which is the average time it takes for somemone to migrate to Cup-let them pay their dues to.
Neil

Raleigh, NC

#28 Jan 11, 2008
mindy wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Neil, i for one think JPM is good for Nascar,as for Hispanics,i have many friends i work with that are great people,but Try living in Salinas,California where i live,you may change your mind about that racism thing! I am AGAINST GANGS! I am against the abuse of the system(don't worry,i won't get started)Even my lovely Hispanic friends are ticked off at what "Others" do to their good name and heritage! That is all i will say on that matter! Have a great evening! Let's also say that,while i am in Upstate New York right now,i have never felt more safe and secure! When i go home to Cali,i will not be walking at night like i love to do! Especially not without my baseball bat in hand! Not for the Hispanics(they leave this blond gal alone) more for their pit bull dogs that let get out because they have not been fed for weeks!(sorry again)there are good and bad in everyone,but i have seen the worst in California,and it's only getting worse by the week! Very sad that my state where i was born is declining so rapidly!
NASCAR IS A SAVIOR FOR ME!
Don't be against Hispanics. Be against gangs. Crime=bad, Hispanics equal people, just like you and me.
Neil

Raleigh, NC

#29 Jan 11, 2008
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Truthfully Neil, I'm not hearing too many put downs anymore about Juan. He's certainly the most versatile driver in Cup today and has already proven that. If Chip gives him the equipment he needs I fully expect to see him make the chase this year. Your remark "of course, you are a NASCAR fan" in regards to being from North Carolina shows a little of your own prejudices, Neil. Surely you aren't naive enough to believe there wouldn't be an outcry from a lot of open wheel fans if one of the top Cup drivers moved to the IRL or Champcar. Of course there would and it's natural. Condemning all the fans of a sport over the ignorance of a few isn't right regardless of what form of racing or sport involved. I certainly don't believe all open wheels are represented by the few that come these forums spreading their bigotry and hate. It's the same for the NASCAR fans.
Actually, I was assuming that you were a NASCAR fan BECAUSE YOU HAVE A NASCAR DRIVER AS YOUR AVATAR.

Sure, most NASCAR fans aren't racist, but I was refering to the ones that boo Juan because he is foreign, not fans as a whole

“"Racing Rules"”

Since: Dec 06

NHRA

#31 Jan 11, 2008
Neil wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be against Hispanics. Be against gangs. Crime=bad, Hispanics equal people, just like you and me.
That's what i meant(Gangs)There are alot of them in California! I work with Hispanics in the shops and they are mad at the "Mexican gangs" as well.

AOL

#32 Jan 11, 2008
NASCARNORTH wrote:
Actually, it has nothing to do with race, foreigner (not allthe current drivers are from the south), speaking different ( since Jimmy Johnson, Jeff Gordon and others dont have south in the mouth) etc. What it has do is with lack of experience and the fact that open wheelers are pushing drivers who worked their way thru the nascar system out. Nascar is trying terrible to enhance the appeal of the sport by destroying it. Just because you are an Indy champ doesn't mean you automatically know how to drive a stock car. Secondly, NASCAR is going to alienate drivers from wanting to come up from CARA, Bussch, Winston west stc because those guys will loose out to open wheelers who just waltz in and take a top ride. As far as Montoya he is skilled and seasoned as an open wheeler, but his lack of experence, attitude and acting out on his frustrations shows. He was certainly not ROTY material; but NASCAR will do anything (PC)to add to the appeal as ratings drop. Keep opne wheelers out ; if they want in they should at least be subject to spending 2 years in bush, which is the average time it takes for somemone to migrate to Cup-let them pay their dues to.
Well I wont read all this I see where you're going. Nascar is becoming the best of the best, the go to league. The ones being pushed out obviously were on their way out anyways. If they would have kept open wheelers out, which is not ever gonna happen. We would not have Stewart and alot of the boys I'll give you my list in a bit. I think you know alot of drivers can drive everything, alot start out the same, it's talent that's making it and if they can't cut it their done, nature of the beast.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Raleigh

#33 Jan 11, 2008
Big city bob wrote:
Send the Banana Picker back home where he belongs,
not in Nascar..
Bob, go sit in the corner again. Haven't we told you not to try to communicate before you had your meds.

AOL

#34 Jan 11, 2008
NASCARNORTH juan is a rookie when you don't have experience in the cup you're a rookie happens every damn year. So this is off the wall comment. Oh and by the way Juan wrecked no more then the rest here's my crash data.

Juan came 2oth in points, Juan won a race, won doesn't have the best equipment you'd be better off talking about another one.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/nasca...

Once you see this you may have to talk about the unexperience of the veterans as well. Go to drivers crash data.

In no way am I dogging the vets but just showing you the truth.

“"Racing Rules"”

NHRA

#35 Jan 11, 2008
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Bob, go sit in the corner again. Haven't we told you not to try to communicate before you had your meds.
ROFL!

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Raleigh

#36 Jan 11, 2008
mindy wrote:
<quoted text>ROFL!
Hello there Young Lady. From reading your posts I'm inclined to believe you're enjoying your stay in upstate New York. It's gorgeous country up there. Do you have much snow on the ground?

“"Racing Rules"”

NHRA

#37 Jan 11, 2008
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Hello there Young Lady. From reading your posts I'm inclined to believe you're enjoying your stay in upstate New York. It's gorgeous country up there. Do you have much snow on the ground?
Not anymore,because it's raining now,but i did enjoy the snow and sledding out in it like a kid again a week ago! Kinda hurt my tail bone tho! Nascarpovver did a number on his as well! Next time,these old 40's folks are stomach all the way,lol I have videos on my thread and pictures if you want to take a looksie! You might have to go back 5 pages(previous)because we all chat it up over there in the Nascar(my thread page)We have fun and it's great to share pictures!
I am so ready for Nascar and all the racing to begin! Thank goodness for Football at least! ;-)Hope this day finds you well! ;-)

AOL

#38 Jan 11, 2008
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Bob, go sit in the corner again. Haven't we told you not to try to communicate before you had your meds.
Yes that would be nice take meds so he doesn't talk out the side of his neck, lol. I didn't realize Blob had struck, lol. Colombia is known for Coffee and illegal drugs blob flunked geography. It really doesn't matter where Juan is from it's about where he's going.
Louie

Anderson, SC

#39 Jan 12, 2008
Junior Nation wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the amazing part about we all get to choose what we like and what we don't. So we like it and you don't. I don't like Indy Racing but that's my choice.
Just think how boring the world would be if we all liked the same things, dress the same, talked the same and ate the same food. BORING!!
You watch your Indy and I'll watch my NASCAR.
I love both. I love indy for the 230mph speed,the sleek jet fighter look of the cars and the sound of the engines at top speed. I love Nascar for the 3 to 4 wide racing, the no holds barred shootouts with loose out of control heavy cars fighting until the last lap and of course the howling of the V8 engines at restrictor plate races. To me racing is racing whether its open wheel or full body cars. They both have speed and lots of horse power and the drivers are crazy as hell to do this for a living which makes me a huge fan of either series cause it takes balls a size of texas to do what they do and i respect that.
Louie

Anderson, SC

#40 Jan 12, 2008
Scott Pruett wrote:
The rascal took me out in MEX. He must be punished.
LOL! Come now Scott you and Juan need to focus on the rolex 24. then you can punish him after you guys win.:)

AOL

#41 Jan 12, 2008
Louie wrote:
<quoted text>
I love both. I love indy for the 230mph speed,the sleek jet fighter look of the cars and the sound of the engines at top speed. I love Nascar for the 3 to 4 wide racing, the no holds barred shootouts with loose out of control heavy cars fighting until the last lap and of course the howling of the V8 engines at restrictor plate races. To me racing is racing whether its open wheel or full body cars. They both have speed and lots of horse power and the drivers are crazy as hell to do this for a living which makes me a huge fan of either series cause it takes balls a size of texas to do what they do and i respect that.
Me too of course I'm partial to open wheel racing being from Indy but my drivers are over in Nascar some of them so I enjoy it more and more everyday. The big difference between Indy car and Stock car to me is Indy is 3 week event with Nascar they came to Indy qualified ran the race and left. Can't get to much seeing your driver up close that way. So I wish they'd make it longer.
Louie

Anderson, SC

#42 Jan 12, 2008
NASCARNORTH wrote:
Good post but i'm gonna have to disagree with you on some things. The thing about open wheelers comming to nascar isnt new. Mario Andretti was still racing F1 and won the Daytona 500 in his first try. Al Unser jr was in the top 10 at the Daytona 500 and got taken out by a nascar regular. Tony stewart was an IRL champ and is now a 2 time cup champ and really sucked in busch cause he was concentrating more on IRL and still made it. Juan Montoya fits the tony stewart mold cause he can drive anything. And he did deserve the ROTY imo. The 2 wins 1 in busch(Mexico city) and 1 in cup(Sonoma) with good finishes at tough tracks like Martinsville,bristol,atlanta,i ndy,and texas with only a year in stock cars proved he deserved it. And yes he had crashes and got alot of drivers hot but Jeff Gordon wrecked more than Juan did in his rookie year and look what a Phenom Jeff is today. I agree that alot of guys going through the ranks are not getting the opportunity to race in cup which is sad. call me crazy but i kinda blame that on cup drivers racing in the nationwide series. cause when the cup drivers race with the up and commers it steals their chance to shine and get noticed when the cup drivers are winning in the nationwide. But some rookies are already in development programs with big name teams so they are safe. I also think the team owners are tired of hiring recycled drivers (Nemechek,schrader) that'll just finish in the top 30 and take their chances with a young driver with fast reflexes. Scott speed is going through the ranks in the arca series and Franchitti is doing full nationwide while in cup. so not all are getting a free ride. ;) I predict Juan will win at least 3 races this year.
Louie

Anderson, SC

#43 Jan 12, 2008
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>Me too of course I'm partial to open wheel racing being from Indy but my drivers are over in Nascar some of them so I enjoy it more and more everyday. The big difference between Indy car and Stock car to me is Indy is 3 week event with Nascar they came to Indy qualified ran the race and left. Can't get to much seeing your driver up close that way. So I wish they'd make it longer.
I wish they would change the time slot of the Indy 500 so we can see some of our open wheel heroes do some double duty.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Juan Pablo Montoya Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Juan Pablo Montoya takes pole for Watkins Glen ... (Aug '12) Aug '13 Luca 2
News EGR switching from Earnhardt to Hendrick engines (Nov '12) Nov '12 arthur 1
News NASCAR drivers warn that transition won't be ea... (Aug '06) Oct '12 Simon Belt 66
News Montoya fumes after wreck (Jul '10) Aug '10 Catcare lol 14
News Perfection as imperious Schumacher takes record (Mar '10) Mar '10 jorge quiroz 1
EGR - mac & montoya (Feb '10) Feb '10 claregirl02 1
Bud Shootout 2010 (Feb '10) Feb '10 JPM Argenfan 3
More from around the web