Cup's foreign invasion could produce backlash

Nov 3, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

“Chip was very creative. The rest are just copycats.”

Is the increasingly diverse face of NASCAR ready for a French-Canadian who started out racing on speedskates? How about another French-Canadian whose family is rooted in Formula One? And what about the Scotsman ... via The Courier-Journal

Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Nov 28, 2007

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

Chill out. It will be okay. There isn't going to be a lynching by some back woods rednecks or anything radical. You'd pretty much get the same reaction if several Cup drivers decided to move to one of the open wheel series by the fans there. It's human nature. People are scared of change and when they see someone different coming into their safe zone they get uneasy. It will all shake out. It always does.

Since: Aug 07

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

Whoyakidding wrote:
Chill out. It will be okay. There isn't going to be a lynching by some back woods rednecks or anything radical. You'd pretty much get the same reaction if several Cup drivers decided to move to one of the open wheel series by the fans there. It's human nature. People are scared of change and when they see someone different coming into their safe zone they get uneasy. It will all shake out. It always does.
Well if their names are Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordon we'd love to have them in the IRL they were destined IRL racers who caught a snag and went on to Nascar. Biggest INDYCAR mistake ever letting Tony go or should I say biggest mistake Foyt made? The difference is the Nascar boys can't hang in an Indycar and Tony can't fit.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

Im Kasey not kahne wrote:
Like we don't have enough articles on this subject. I think it's pretty much a lost cause they aren't gonna stop coming and no one can stop them. They're actually ok people but no one will give them a chance to find out.
Everyone has been so much nicer about JPM lately Kasey. I don't know how many more are coming? Have you heard anything I haven't ? I think Hornish should sit still or he will be commiting career suicide, his choice.

“Not insane”

Since: Sep 07

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2007

Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>Well if their names are Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordon we'd love to have them in the IRL they were destined IRL racers who caught a snag and went on to Nascar. Biggest INDYCAR mistake ever letting Tony go or should I say biggest mistake Foyt made? The difference is the Nascar boys can't hang in an Indycar and Tony can't fit.
Foyt let Tony go to John Menard, and Menard helped Tony make the decision to go to NASCAR by being stubborn. He wouldn't let Smoke race in the Chili Bowl or any of the dirt races, as long as he drove for Menards. They didn't get along too well in spite of the championship.
I wonder how F1 would feel if a bunch of NASCAR drivers got some Big money sponsors and invaded F1? Now that would be a reaction to see.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2007

revvinjim wrote:
<quoted text>
Foyt let Tony go to John Menard, and Menard helped Tony make the decision to go to NASCAR by being stubborn. He wouldn't let Smoke race in the Chili Bowl or any of the dirt races, as long as he drove for Menards. They didn't get along too well in spite of the championship.
I wonder how F1 would feel if a bunch of NASCAR drivers got some Big money sponsors and invaded F1? Now that would be a reaction to see.
You know why he didn't stay with Foyt money I guess Foyt is cheap ;) I read somewhere where Tony said when Brack won for Foyt at the Indy 500 it about killed Tony to see. He also said in his book he wanted to run for Foyt, I think he should go back to the IRL! I know he wants a 500 win and maybe be a car owner. Wishful thinking is all it is. But being from Indiana he's one of the ones I want to see win the Indy 500 because he has passion for what that means. Only in my perfect little world would this happen :)

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2007

Hey revvinjim I forgot about the F-1 thing. There's no way in heck they'd let a Nascar driver out there it's a whole different ballgame there. They would be a big culture shock and I would feel for the driver who tried. But it would be funny as well, LoL.

“Not insane”

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

Sorry it took me so long to get back here. I actusally think, the way Kyle Busch is always on the outer edge of control, that he would be an excellent F-1 driver.
The reason I say this, is that the thing that keeps us watching a Formula One race after the actual racing is over, in the first two or three laps, these guys stay ahead by driving on the outer edge of control.
Both Jaques Villeneuve and JP Montoya were heavily criticized for being too aggressive in F-1, but if you have ever seen Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso, or Kimi Raikonnen going slideways through the esses, you would wonder where the criticism is coming from.
So, IMO, Kyle Busch would fit in perfectly

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

revvinjim wrote:
Sorry it took me so long to get back here. I actusally think, the way Kyle Busch is always on the outer edge of control, that he would be an excellent F-1 driver.
The reason I say this, is that the thing that keeps us watching a Formula One race after the actual racing is over, in the first two or three laps, these guys stay ahead by driving on the outer edge of control.
Both Jaques Villeneuve and JP Montoya were heavily criticized for being too aggressive in F-1, but if you have ever seen Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso, or Kimi Raikonnen going slideways through the esses, you would wonder where the criticism is coming from.
So, IMO, Kyle Busch would fit in perfectly
I kinda like the Busch boys they get slammed all the time but the older one is always so nice, maybe he has me fooled. The younger one is kinda punkish but look who he's racing, they'll chew him up and spit him out if he lets them. That would be a shake up him in F-1, I can hear it now :)

“Not insane”

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Hee hee, if I were a pot-stirrer, I would go to a Formula One fans' forum and make that suggestion! But, no, I will behave myself.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Anyone of this thread that thinks a driver that can handle and with win with a 3400 pound stockcar couldn't do the same thing in open wheel is fooling themselves. Open wheel is just another racing discipline. Only a few in any racing series is going to reach super star statis. Any of the major names in NASCAR would have attained success in any other series they applied themselves in. There's nothing about open wheel racing that draws people that a special talent that no one else has. Most of them are in open wheel because that is the only type racing where they came from.
WWE NASCAR

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

The only reason open wheel drivers come to NASCAR is for the money or their skills have diminished to the point that they can't handle a real race car anymore. You don't see 40+ year old drivers in world class race cars; so they retire to NASCAR.
BSP

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

WWE NASCAR wrote:
The only reason open wheel drivers come to NASCAR is for the money or their skills have diminished to the point that they can't handle a real race car anymore. You don't see 40+ year old drivers in world class race cars; so they retire to NASCAR.
That is a bunch of #$%*$%#&%$*&^%$^&* *&^% bull.
JR-SR FAN

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

WWE NASCAR wrote:
Over the years there has been plenty of 40+ drivers in open wheel that was still competitive. You're so full of sh*t it has affected your brain. Every racing series has it's backmarkers and strokers. Percentage wise NASCAR has less than any other series. Count up the number of different winners in each major series and do the math.
WWE NASCAR

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

BSP wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a bunch of #$%*$%#&%$*&^%$^&* *&^% bull.
#$%*$%#&%$*&^%$^&* *&^%??? Is that Canadian, could you translate?

Old Dale would have had to put on a pair of Depends before you could have gotten him in an Indy Car

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Whoyakidding wrote:
Anyone of this thread that thinks a driver that can handle and with win with a 3400 pound stockcar couldn't do the same thing in open wheel is fooling themselves. Open wheel is just another racing discipline. Only a few in any racing series is going to reach super star statis. Any of the major names in NASCAR would have attained success in any other series they applied themselves in. There's nothing about open wheel racing that draws people that a special talent that no one else has. Most of them are in open wheel because that is the only type racing where they came from.
Not saying that just like when open wheelers go to Nascar they have to learn it goes both ways! They might make it but I don't just like some of the open wheelers that go to Nascar, the truth is I don't see them getting jobs in open wheel unless they're J.G. T.S. or one that has driven or on the path to open wheel before Nascar. I don't think Penske would say ok Kurt you can go to open wheel not gonna happen!
Hold up

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

JR-SR FAN wrote:
<quoted text>Over the years there has been plenty of 40+ drivers in open wheel that was still competitive. You're so full of sh*t it has affected your brain. Every racing series has it's backmarkers and strokers. Percentage wise NASCAR has less than any other series. Count up the number of different winners in each major series and do the math.
When was this really? In open wheel you're career is most likely to be 2 years! The good guys longer but no one over 40 races competively because they don't give them jobs. Now Al Jr. got in a car, because Foyt had an extra one and feels for Al, but he didn't do too well. The only other one kinda old is Scott Sharp at 39 and he wont be around much longer believe that. Indycar is a young mans game if you go a year and don't win you're on your way out fast! These drivers want to prolong their career, there's 42 spots in Nascar, they race more races so lets call it as it is! Actually with the IRL doing 16 races a year if you averaged the amount of money nascar drivers get for doing what 40 races I don't know if the money is that far off. Not that Nascar is the final pit stop but for these open wheel drivers it is~
Hold up

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

WWE NASCAR wrote:
<quoted text>
#$%*$%#&%$*&^%$^&* *&^%??? Is that Canadian, could you translate?
Old Dale would have had to put on a pair of Depends before you could have gotten him in an Indy Car
He wouldn't have ever been invited anyways!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Jacques Villeneuve Discussions

Search the Jacques Villeneuve Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NASCAR drivers warn that transition won't be ea... (Aug '06) Oct '12 Simon Belt 66
Say goodnight to bad guy Jacques Villeneuve (Aug '12) Aug '12 Sean Hannity 4
2014 F1 engine supplier 'Pure' hits roadblock (Jul '12) Jul '12 Bob 1
Nelson Piquet Jr. holds on for Nationwide Serie... (Jun '12) Jun '12 F1 Funatic 5
Williams admits Newey mistake (Feb '12) Feb '12 TS Konverter 3
Analysis: what will Renault do? (Feb '11) Aug '11 F1 Funatic 14
Villeneuve to drive Nationwide event in Montreal (May '11) May '11 WillieMillie 3
•••
•••
•••