Formula One team McLaren appeal heari...

Formula One team McLaren appeal hearing moved to London

There are 11 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Nov 13, 2007, titled Formula One team McLaren appeal hearing moved to London. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

Spanish Formula One driver Fernando Alonso from the McLaren Mercedes team in action in the Formula One Chinese Grand Prix at the Shanghai International Circuit, October 2007. via TurkishPress.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

Juan

Brighton, UK

#1 Nov 15, 2007
“I don’t think that the Formula 1 fans would like a championship to be won because the temperature of the fuel, which can’t be measured anyway, is possibly 5C out,” Ecclestone was quoted as saying by The Times.
Will someone explain to me why have the rule about fuel temperature in place or bother to take measurements if it will all be ignored when the FIA feels like it. BMW and Williams should be disqualified as in the past. No question. If this is uncomfortable, too bad. The FIA are making F1 the joke of all sports.
Siraj

Toronto, Canada

#2 Nov 15, 2007
THe FIA already responded at Brazil by the stewards decision that they would not change the race result because they could not prove an advantage for BMW and Williams. Why this hearing is taking place is that Maclaren have appealed this decision. The FIA are obligated to have this hearing. As you can see, Maclaren is yet again, proving what they are made of. Never have I ever witnessed such lack of class and sour grapes than this . These people live without concience, principal and descency. All the while tarnishing and hurting Formula 1 in the process. I hope that they get banned from racing next year, after the FIA investigation on the specs on their car. Arrogant ********.
mat

Richmond, UK

#3 Nov 15, 2007
Juan wrote:
“I don’t think that the Formula 1 fans would like a championship to be won because the temperature of the fuel, which can’t be measured anyway, is possibly 5C out,” Ecclestone was quoted as saying by The Times.
Will someone explain to me why have the rule about fuel temperature in place or bother to take measurements if it will all be ignored when the FIA feels like it. BMW and Williams should be disqualified as in the past. No question. If this is uncomfortable, too bad. The FIA are making F1 the joke of all sports.
the reason the fuel temerature is controlled is because the lower the temperature at combustion - the greater bang is produced.if air/fuel mixture is cooler than the ambient temperature a significant increase in horse power can be acheived. this effect is well known to pilots,because it affects how long a run is needed for take off.
personally i dont think title result should be affected,although this current hearing most certainly could affect title result,even ferrari beleive so,nigel tozzi,ferraris' lawyer has warned fia that they(ferrari)would not be at all happy if title result were changed

by the way a temprature anomoly of 5c would give approximately 5% increase in horse power,a very significant ammount indeed.
bobby_

Toronto, Canada

#4 Nov 15, 2007
mat wrote:
<quoted text>
the reason the fuel temerature is controlled is because the lower the temperature at combustion - the greater bang is produced.if air/fuel mixture is cooler than the ambient temperature a significant increase in horse power can be acheived. this effect is well known to pilots,because it affects how long a run is needed for take off.
personally i dont think title result should be affected,although this current hearing most certainly could affect title result,even ferrari beleive so,nigel tozzi,ferraris' lawyer has warned fia that they(ferrari)would not be at all happy if title result were changed
by the way a temprature anomoly of 5c would give approximately 5% increase in horse power,a very significant ammount indeed.
According to Topgear mag, increase in horsepower is very marginal, and will last only for couple laps, for obvious reason, advantage is to negligible to go for deliberate cheating..
So first of all there were no reliable reading of ambient T, that's the main reason for stewards decision.
Second if fuel was colder it was more likely mistake, not deliberate, so penalty to the team is appropriate,
But apparently scumbag (macca attorney) is calling for driver disqualification, forgetting that his own drivers running with disqualified cars, doesn't look like just rule clarification to me.....SORE LOSERS!!
gwo

Esquivias, Spain

#5 Nov 16, 2007
bobby_ wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Topgear mag, increase in horsepower is very marginal, and will last only for couple laps, for obvious reason, advantage is to negligible to go for deliberate cheating..
So first of all there were no reliable reading of ambient T, that's the main reason for stewards decision.
Second if fuel was colder it was more likely mistake, not deliberate, so penalty to the team is appropriate,
But apparently scumbag (macca attorney) is calling for driver disqualification, forgetting that his own drivers running with disqualified cars, doesn't look like just rule clarification to me.....SORE LOSERS!!
The same people (Maclaren, aka "the most honest team this side of the Milky Way", aka "the 100-million-dollar fine with no appeal team") who used illegally an extra set of tires in that race in Brazil for one of his drivers and only one (who was not punished in any way regarding his chances to win that race and the championship)...
cannot even be bothered to finish the sentence... you all know what I mean...
mat

Richmond, UK

#6 Nov 16, 2007
gwo wrote:
<quoted text>
The same people (Maclaren, aka "the most honest team this side of the Milky Way", aka "the 100-million-dollar fine with no appeal team") who used illegally an extra set of tires in that race in Brazil for one of his drivers and only one (who was not punished in any way regarding his chances to win that race and the championship)...
cannot even be bothered to finish the sentence... you all know what I mean...
sorry,didnt understand a word of that.

“"McLaren in my soul"”

Since: Apr 07

Worcester, U.K

#7 Nov 16, 2007
I think, in translation Mat what he's trying to point out is that Mclaren used an extra set of tyres? What he says is they used them in the race, which they didn't, it was on the installation lap of 1st PRACTICE hence the fact there was no advantage gained AT ALL so no punishment needed.

Basically, it's called desperately clutching at straws to you & me ;)
mat

Richmond, UK

#8 Nov 16, 2007
winged princess wrote:
I think, in translation Mat what he's trying to point out is that Mclaren used an extra set of tyres? What he says is they used them in the race, which they didn't, it was on the installation lap of 1st PRACTICE hence the fact there was no advantage gained AT ALL so no punishment needed.
Basically, it's called desperately clutching at straws to you & me ;)
understand now,thanks

lewis quite obviously didnt gain an advantage

i have to say,outside of this forum,i havnt seen or heard of any conspiracy charges about fernandos car being sabotaged.how odd.

sour grapes from spanish contributors?

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#9 Nov 16, 2007
LONDON (Reuters)- Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen was confirmed as 2007 Formula One world champion on Friday after a court rejected a McLaren appeal that could have handed Lewis Hamilton the title instead.

The governing International Automobile Federation's (FIA) independent court of appeal, whose four judges met in London for the hearing on Thursday, said McLaren's protest had been rejected.

"Having heard the explanations of both parties and having examined the various documents and other evidence, the court decided that the appeal lodged by Vodafone McLaren Mercedes is inadmissible," it said.

McLaren had appealed against the decision of stewards at last month's season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix not to penalise BMW Sauber and Williams drivers after an enquiry into temperature irregularities.

Although McLaren said they simply wanted to clarify the rules, any disqualification of the three drivers who finished ahead of Hamilton and subsequent reallocation of points would have changed the outcome of the championship.

Finland's Raikkonen, who won at Interlagos on October 21, beat 22-year-old Hamilton by a single point.

Hamilton, who would have been the youngest champion as well as the first rookie to take the title, had been favourite for the crown before his lead evaporated in the last two races in China and Brazil.

The Briton finished seventh in the final race, behind BMW Sauber's Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica and Williams' Nico Rosberg.

Ferrari's lawyer Nigel Tozzi told the hearing on Thursday it would be a "serious injustice" for Raikkonen to be stripped of his title.

"It would be highly damaging for the sport if the title were to be won this way with the fans probably feeling it was more about grubby manoeuvring by the lawyers than by skill behind the wheel," he said.

"As McLaren have always said, the championship should be decided on the racetrack and not in the courtroom."

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#10 Nov 16, 2007
Wings,Sorry but it would of been a advantage but the tyres were confiscated and from the other teams which did the same thing.This was a rule breach,so they should of been punished but the FIA should have a minimum Penalty for rule breaking in any way, no matter how small.The rules should NOT be breach in any way,Rules ar rules and should'nt be wavored?????
Siraj

Toronto, Canada

#11 Nov 17, 2007
Gazzuk wrote:
Wings,Sorry but it would of been a advantage but the tyres were confiscated and from the other teams which did the same thing.This was a rule breach,so they should of been punished but the FIA should have a minimum Penalty for rule breaking in any way, no matter how small.The rules should NOT be breach in any way,Rules ar rules and should'nt be wavored?????
As Wings mentioned, the tyres were used on an Installation lap. It was caught before Qualifying. The reason is was left unpunished was that it did not provide any advantage to any team in the race. In this case, it was discovered early before any advantage could be enjoyed. That is why the rule was left unpunished. They tried to cheat, but was caught trying to cheat, so they couldn't cheat and hence the cheaters are naughty boys. Besides , they felt sorry for the MAclaren 100 million dollars already caught for cheating. So Maclaren decided to try and cheat Kimi WDC and the cheaters are sad now that they were again disallowed to cheat. Poor pathetic Ronnie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BMW Sauber F1 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News F-1 Teams Kick Off Testing At Jerez (Feb '15) Feb '15 F1 Funatic 2
News Ferrari rules out Kubica F1 comeback (Oct '13) Dec '13 Gott War Racing 3
News The 2012 season by the numbers (Dec '12) Dec '12 F1 Funatic 1
News Ferrari rumours fire again after Perez podium (Sep '12) Sep '12 Manuel 1
News F1: Clever Sauber Turning Heads In 2012 (Apr '12) Apr '12 P_Smith 1
News Heidfeld out of Renault running as he accepts M... (Jan '10) Apr '12 au pair 2
News Alonso lands surprise win in Malaysia (Mar '12) Mar '12 Montoya4ever 9
More from around the web