F1 is 'boring' says Webber

F1 is 'boring' says Webber

There are 24 comments on the The Sydney Morning Herald story from Mar 16, 2010, titled F1 is 'boring' says Webber. In it, The Sydney Morning Herald reports that:

Formula One is in for one of its most boring seasons on record unless rules are modified, according to Australian Mark Webber.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sydney Morning Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RSR08

Thornhill, Canada

#1 Mar 16, 2010
Mark is right....but you have to give it a chance...and Mark,I am a fan,but you should just drive the car as fast as you can...Put on a show...

“Just love F1”

Since: Oct 07

Benavidez, Tigre

#2 Mar 16, 2010
I wonder why some driver jumped up to say that after the first race ... are they bored?.. why don't just wait to see what the fans have to say ... but not after bombing them with the same chanting over and over from some teams and part of the media ...

Anyway ... Webber is more boring than F1 !!

Location hidden

#3 Mar 16, 2010
Luis,on this one I can't say I blame Webber,it's like having a very fast car and then having to tow a caravan behind it.
Having to wait for half of the race before you can let to car loose it stupid. You might as well cut the race in half and carry less fuel and have a sprint or have two races in one day like other series do instead of one Sunday drive.

“Lawrence”

Since: May 09

Flushing N,Y,

#4 Mar 16, 2010
Montoya4ever wrote:
I wonder why some driver jumped up to say that after the first race ... are they bored?.. why don't just wait to see what the fans have to say ... but not after bombing them with the same chanting over and over from some teams and part of the media ...
Anyway ... Webber is more boring than F1 !!
The fans have spoken....More than 98% of the comments written to the blog of James Allen, had over 300 respondents unanimously disapprove of the ..." new style post refueling F1...".

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/03/press-p...

“Just love F1”

Benavidez, Tigre

#5 Mar 16, 2010
... but it is part of the game Gary ... Webber qualified P6 and finished P8 while his teammate got Pole and finished P4 ... Webber is full of excuses and of course he would blame the rules and the "caravan" instead of his bad performance when we all know he had a winning car on ANY RULES YOU WANT !!!

F1 should not be just sprints ... and in that regard I back Prost's comments saying he wants free pit stops and free tyre use. Let a driver be something different from a playstation user ... feel the car, care for the fuel and tyres !!

... and as some people said it before ... the problem is not the refueling ban ... is the diffusors, the aerodinamics & downforce used that makes almost impossible for a car to follow another closely ... and the circuits !!

Finally, 3 personal thoughts:

1. Refueling pit stops and team strategy behind it took a big portion of the race out of the driver's hands

2. The final third part of the race will pay for much of the lost pit stop "excitament" !!!

3. They will change the rules if Ferrari shoot themselves alone on top too easily !!

My opinion
JudgeMental

Selby, UK

#6 Mar 16, 2010
hmltn-1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The fans have spoken....More than 98% of the comments written to the blog of James Allen, had over 300 respondents unanimously disapprove of the ..." new style post refueling F1...".
They are lightweight latterday "fans"
We will ignore them

“Just love F1”

Benavidez, Tigre

#7 Mar 16, 2010
hmltn-1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lawrence ... I've read some posts and articles from James Allen where he was against the new rules all the time ... of course the fans who follow JA will follow suit !!!

I have a different view because I don't follow those commentators regularly !!

Ask the Ferrari fans what they think
Ask the audience from South America (Brazil, Argentina) who follow F1 and don't listen to those broadcasters !!!... or .. maybe by the end of the year you won't see any fans in the brazilian stands !!

“Lawrence”

Flushing N,Y,

#8 Mar 16, 2010
Gazzuk wrote:
Luis,on this one I can't say I blame Webber,it's like having a very fast car and then having to tow a caravan behind it.
Having to wait for half of the race before you can let to car loose it stupid. You might as well cut the race in half and carry less fuel and have a sprint or have two races in one day like other series do instead of one Sunday drive.
Gaz, tha new style of F1 is getting to be like NASCAR....in NASCRAP you run around in circles for 95% of the time, and then really have a go at it in the last ten laps. Now F1 drivers are being asked to be...gentle...gentle with their tires, wait till nearly the end of the parade, and maybe then in the last 10 laps....RACE..!!

“On I Burn!”

Since: Dec 07

Brisbane, Australia

#9 Mar 16, 2010
FACTS;

Average overtakes per GP for every current circuit;

Bahrain; 17.57
Melbourne; 15.29
Istambul; 18.4
Suzuka; 18.1
Valencia; 2.0
Silverstone; 24.92
China; 29.0 (thanks to a few wet races)
Yas Marina; 6.0
Nurburgring; 20.56
Hungary; 16.25
Hockenheim; 22.17
Canada; 20.9
Spa; 23.29
Monaco; 11.11
Barcelona; 12.42
Interlagos; 24.25
Singapore; 6.0
Malaysia; 17.09

Number of overtakes at Bahrain 2010= 21 which is higher number of passes than at every Bahrain race except 2006!! thanks to no refueling

Here are all the facts; http://www.cliptheapex.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...

“Just love F1”

Benavidez, Tigre

#10 Mar 16, 2010
They can also go for the money before the 1st tyre change if they are a little agressive ... Button just said that he was extra carefull in the first "stint" before changing his tyres and also he thinks he went it a little too early ... so ... they are learning ... maybe they can "race" in the future .. but again ... the problem it is not the refueling ban but the other factors I mentioned !!

“Lawrence”

Flushing N,Y,

#11 Mar 16, 2010
JudgeMental wrote:
<quoted text>
They are lightweight latterday "fans"
We will ignore them
I know a real heavyweight like you may ignore them, but I'll bet Uncle Bernie isn't ignoring them, because he quickly came out, and made a statement to just be patient..!!

“Just love F1”

Benavidez, Tigre

#12 Mar 16, 2010
Go Fernando Go wrote:
FACTS;
Bahrain; 17.57
Melbourne; 15.29
Istambul; 18.4
Suzuka; 18.1
Valencia; 2.0
Silverstone; 24.92
Yas Marina; 6.0
Nurburgring; 20.56
Hungary; 16.25
Hockenheim; 22.17
Canada; 20.9
Spa; 23.29
Monaco; 11.11
Barcelona; 12.42
Interlagos; 24.25
Singapore; 6.0
Malaysia; 17.09
Number of overtakes at Bahrain 2010= 21 which is higher number of passes than at every Bahrain race except 2006!! thanks to no refueling
Thanks GFG ...so ... it's all about persception !!!

“Just love F1”

Benavidez, Tigre

#13 Mar 16, 2010
Go Fernando Go wrote:
FACTS;
Bahrain; 17.57
Melbourne; 15.29
Istambul; 18.4
Suzuka; 18.1
Valencia; 2.0
Silverstone; 24.92
Yas Marina; 6.0
Nurburgring; 20.56
Hungary; 16.25
Hockenheim; 22.17
Canada; 20.9
Spa; 23.29
Monaco; 11.11
Barcelona; 12.42
Interlagos; 24.25
Singapore; 6.0
Malaysia; 17.09
You can also look at:

Year Avg. Per GP
1983 41.50
1984 43.20
1985 39.50
1986 36.31
1987 34.88
1988 27.38
1989 33.00
1990 29.47
1991 28.69
1992 24.31
1993 24.75
1994 18.87
1995 13.31
1996 11.23
1997 13.40
1998 11.57
1999 13.43
2000 14.43
2001 10.60
2002 11.94
2003 15.43
2004 14.35
2005 10.06
2006 13.81
2007 11.21
2008 10.77
2009 9.60
2010 21.00

See ... less overtakes when refueling was allowed ... until the first race of the new old era !!!
rockinknoch

Denver, CO

#14 Mar 16, 2010
1st time commenting, wow where to start. I love racing, (lucky enough to do some small time stuff) and watch it every chance I get. I don't get F1 fans knocking NASCAR , NASCAR knocking IRL etc. etc. It all has it's place and at times can be very exciting. I do not know how I would technically change F1 but I think they definitely need more overtaking, on track for the lead. At least in NASCAR they overtake for the the front many times during each race and I feel the changes they make do make for more exciting racing ( I know they just go around in circles)ask JPM , Mario, AJ etc. should be better when they go back to spoiler. From the open wheel races I watched last weekend the IRL in Brazil was much more exciting than any F1 race I seen in a while.

“Lawrence”

Flushing N,Y,

#15 Mar 16, 2010
rockinknoch wrote:
1st time commenting, wow where to start. I love racing,(lucky enough to do some small time stuff) and watch it every chance I get. I don't get F1 fans knocking NASCAR , NASCAR knocking IRL etc. etc. It all has it's place and at times can be very exciting. I do not know how I would technically change F1 but I think they definitely need more overtaking, on track for the lead. At least in NASCAR they overtake for the the front many times during each race and I feel the changes they make do make for more exciting racing ( I know they just go around in circles)ask JPM , Mario, AJ etc. should be better when they go back to spoiler. From the open wheel races I watched last weekend the IRL in Brazil was much more exciting than any F1 race I seen in a while.
If Dario Franchitti the recent winner at the Indy race at Sao Paulo Circuit, was offered a ride in a F1 car, he would leave Indy Car in a heartbeat. Franchitti tested for Jaguar F1, but failed in his initial test.

“Is that Banjo Music I hear ...”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#16 Mar 17, 2010
Hey Rockinknoch, I think it runs both ways. We have had some serious Nascrap supporters on the F1 forum tearing F1 apart.

Ok about the overtaking deal. Perosnally I beleive it's not just the no refueling deal that is to blame, but the piles of restrictive rules and regs aimed at trying to reduce costs, so the little teams can also get a chance. It sucks, it's like changing the rules to allow a thrid division footer team to be able to play in the premier league .... it just won't work. In the pre era of no refueling GFG refers too, there were no where near as many rules to restrict what the maufacturers could do with their cars, or their engines. We had V12's and V8's, turbo's and normally aspirated machines, there was no restrictions on the wings you were allowed to use, how much downforce you could use. Right about now it's almost racing kit cars, all the engines have the same specs, the same wings. I mean the stink last year just becasue Brawn had a diffuser that was different. Or the bullcrap with the vent macca has to redirect air flow, or ferrari's wheel covers. What the hell has happened to innovation in F1, scrap all these pissy damned regulations and lets race. Obviously there must be guidelines, but let's see some imagination again ...

Since: Feb 08

Dresden

#17 Mar 18, 2010
I just want to say that if Nascrap=Indy=F1 then I certainly would not be mad about watching all three. All three series are totally different and appeal to different people or madpersons like me. I like them BECAUSE they are different.
And the last race really was about all being nervous with their tyres and waiting to see what happened and holding position if necessary. Now they know more hopefully they will do more on track.We can only hope for that.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#19 Mar 19, 2010
If Webber thinks it's SOOO borning gtfo and get someone in who gives a damn.
HOT TIP

United States

#20 Mar 24, 2010
Hey Webber...Try going faster and you won't find it so boring up front with your team mate.

ZXT

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#21 Apr 20, 2010
Last race is anything but boring.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Formula-1 Racing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Malaysian Grand Prix: News round-up Jun 19 Fart news 16
News More common sense needed, says Mercedes F1 boss May '15 tom wingo 2
News Lewis Hamilton has won three of the opening fou... May '15 tom wingo 2
News Hamilton: I feel very powerful Apr '15 tom wingo 2
News Rosberg - Talks were very intense Apr '15 joe glazer 2
News Sebastian Vettel has lucked into Ferrari resurg... Apr '15 stewart scott 2
News F1 ACCESS30 Mar 2015 Alonso: McLaren exceeded m... Apr '15 stewart scott 2
More from around the web