Oakland Raiders 2009 Preview

Jul 5, 2009 Full story: BleacherReport 28

And again, it wasn't for their successes on the field, but rather their ageless owner and his usual entertaining moments... Oakland Raiders 2009 Preview by VSN Writers 0 66 reads 2008 Summary As per the usual the Raiders were one of the more entertaining franchises to follow in 2008.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#1 Jul 6, 2009
If you think this writer is one stinkin' Raider hatin' idiot give me a Hell Yeah...
mike moran

Lake Mary, FL

#2 Jul 6, 2009
Ya for real. He does all that research, and then doesn't even bother to create his own opinion. He just takes the same angle all the ESPN analysts take each week.

How about a headline that is more impartial and realistic:

"Raiders and Cable Blazing Own Path"

Darrius Heyward Bey over Michael Crabtree? Mike Mitchell in the 2nd round? ESPN and NFL Network sure has a lot of fun with the Oakland Raiders this year during the draft. The West Coast NFL rebels have been long known as a team that makes decisions based solely upon their own beliefs, not what other people say.

This same theory has brought them 3 Super Bowls, fame, fortune, and one of the most dedicated fan bases in professional sports. Along with that has come a few bad management decisions, a few losing seasons and far more criticism than any other NFL team in recent memory.

You can never know how a draft will pan out until you let the players play the game. Who knew Eddie Royal, a 3rd rounder out of Virginia Tech would lead all rookies in receiving yards?

Who knew that Glenn Dorsey would have 1 sack in an entire season as a Chief?

I bring him up because at this time last year, most analysts believed Darren McFadden to be a bust or, "too good to be true". In the mean time, Dorsey looks the 7 million a year flop and Darren McFadden looks like a budding young star in the NFL, if he could only get the carries...
tkl52

United States

#3 Jul 6, 2009
raiders...raiders.... raiders .....just like like with the purple and gold....silver and black is all I know!!!! time to compete for the afc west #1 standing!!!!
Home SuperBowl 2010

Atlanta, GA

#4 Jul 6, 2009
SILENCE!!!!!!!!!! I keel you!!!!!!!!!

Texas Raider is JacksonBrownGirl 3481

RAIDER MISTERIO
Simi Valley, CA.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Toronto, Canada.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Bolingbroke, GA.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Denver, CO.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Broomfield, CO.

RAIDER MISTERIO
St George, UT

RAIDER MISTERIO
AOL

Bleacher Report
RAIDER MISTERIO MISTERIO
Joey Lucania (Contributor)

Michael Miller 2 months ago
Did you just change your profile name?
Achmed

Atlanta, GA

#5 Jul 6, 2009
SILENCE!!!!!!!!!!I keel you!!!!!!!!!

Home SuperBowl 2010
Dolphin Fan

RAIDER MISTERIO
Simi Valley, CA.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Toronto, Canada.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Bolingbroke, GA.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Denver, CO.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Broomfield, CO.

RAIDER MISTERIO
St George, UT

RAIDER MISTERIO
AOL

Bleacher Report
RAIDER MISTERIO MISTERIO

Fingers

Colorado Springs, CO

#6 Jul 7, 2009
I've got so use to The Raiders being bashed by a generic media that it's now just what I expect... I can't wait to see those bandwagon Football experts.." Supposedly",on espn and the NFL channel eat their words someday.. They just use the same material over and over... We could draft Jesus and they'd say he's a bust.. It just doesn't really matter , if you don't already love the Raiders you're gonna love to hate them... I think our draft was ok, well just have to see...
Fingers

Colorado Springs, CO

#7 Jul 7, 2009
I have to give Rod Woodson props... He's pretty honest when it comes to the covering the Raiders...
Achmed

Atlanta, GA

#8 Jul 7, 2009

RAIDER MISTERIO
Simi Valley, CA.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Toronto, Canada.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Bolingbroke, GA.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Denver, CO.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Broomfield, CO.

RAIDER MISTERIO
St George, UT

RAIDER MISTERIO
AOL

Bleacher Report
RAIDER MISTERIO MISTERIO

theotis williams

Vancouver, WA

#9 Jul 7, 2009
raider fans are silly

Since: May 09

Fuquay Varina, NC

#10 Jul 7, 2009
Good Stuff....you should write an article and submit....if that clown could get his published....yours would for sure.
mike moran wrote:
Ya for real. He does all that research, and then doesn't even bother to create his own opinion. He just takes the same angle all the ESPN analysts take each week.
How about a headline that is more impartial and realistic:
"Raiders and Cable Blazing Own Path"
Darrius Heyward Bey over Michael Crabtree? Mike Mitchell in the 2nd round? ESPN and NFL Network sure has a lot of fun with the Oakland Raiders this year during the draft. The West Coast NFL rebels have been long known as a team that makes decisions based solely upon their own beliefs, not what other people say.
This same theory has brought them 3 Super Bowls, fame, fortune, and one of the most dedicated fan bases in professional sports. Along with that has come a few bad management decisions, a few losing seasons and far more criticism than any other NFL team in recent memory.
You can never know how a draft will pan out until you let the players play the game. Who knew Eddie Royal, a 3rd rounder out of Virginia Tech would lead all rookies in receiving yards?
Who knew that Glenn Dorsey would have 1 sack in an entire season as a Chief?
I bring him up because at this time last year, most analysts believed Darren McFadden to be a bust or, "too good to be true". In the mean time, Dorsey looks the 7 million a year flop and Darren McFadden looks like a budding young star in the NFL, if he could only get the carries...
Achmed

Atlanta, GA

#11 Jul 7, 2009
SILENCE!!!!!!!!!!I keel you!!!!!!!!

RAIDER MISTERIO
Simi Valley, CA.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Toronto, Canada.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Bolingbroke, GA.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Denver, CO.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Broomfield, CO.

RAIDER MISTERIO
St George, UT

RAIDER MISTERIO
AOL

Bleacher Report
RAIDER MISTERIO MISTERIO

“Go Raiders!!!!!!”

Dallas, TX

#12 Jul 8, 2009
Fingers wrote:
I've got so use to The Raiders being bashed by a generic media that it's now just what I expect... I can't wait to see those bandwagon Football experts.." Supposedly",on espn and the NFL channel eat their words someday.. They just use the same material over and over... We could draft Jesus and they'd say he's a bust.. It just doesn't really matter , if you don't already love the Raiders you're gonna love to hate them... I think our draft was ok, well just have to see...
That's the best part about being a Raider fan is all the haters will have to eat their words someday. Rod Woodson refuses to hate the Raiders because he once played for us and Al Davis never did him wrong. I remember when he first appeared as an analyst he was asked why he thinks Al Davis treats players a certain way and his response was "He never treated me that way when I played there."

Fuquay Varina, NC

#13 Jul 8, 2009
I think Al Davis will treat those that are good to him and the team well....but you also have to keep in mind its a business....not all the employees will be happy. Because Davis is a character....he gets more attention then most so he is scrutinized harder.....but if you notice he doesn't complain about it. He understands how the business works better then most. Wilson was good to Al so Al was good to him....and luckily business wise it made sense not to dump him....sooner than he left. Thata what aggravates me the most....Players feel they are owed something...IT'S A BUSINESS!!!!!.....Sometimes you are traded, benched or cut because its a smart business decision....has nothing to do with the players ego although a lot of them like to think so.
JacksonBrownGirl3481 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the best part about being a Raider fan is all the haters will have to eat their words someday. Rod Woodson refuses to hate the Raiders because he once played for us and Al Davis never did him wrong. I remember when he first appeared as an analyst he was asked why he thinks Al Davis treats players a certain way and his response was "He never treated me that way when I played there."
Achmed

Atlanta, GA

#14 Jul 8, 2009

RAIDER MISTERIO
Simi Valley, CA.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Toronto, Canada.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Bolingbroke, GA.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Denver, CO.

RAIDER MISTERIO
Broomfield, CO.

RAIDER MISTERIO
St George, UT

RAIDER MISTERIO
AOL

Bleacher Report
RAIDER MISTERIO MISTERIO

“Go Raiders!!!!!!”

Dallas, TX

#15 Jul 9, 2009
RaiderFaith1 wrote:
I think Al Davis will treat those that are good to him and the team well....but you also have to keep in mind its a business....not all the employees will be happy. Because Davis is a character....he gets more attention then most so he is scrutinized harder.....but if you notice he doesn't complain about it. He understands how the business works better then most. Wilson was good to Al so Al was good to him....and luckily business wise it made sense not to dump him....sooner than he left. Thata what aggravates me the most....Players feel they are owed something...IT'S A BUSINESS!!!!!.....Sometimes you are traded, benched or cut because its a smart business decision....has nothing to do with the players ego although a lot of them like to think so. <quoted text>
I still have a hard time understanding why Wilson was cut at the end of the season because he played pretty well. I have a feeling that it was because he opened his mouth after Deangelo Hall was cut. I kept hearing that he missed too many tackles, but he made more than everbody else on the team except Morrison. I really can't believe Michael Huff and Cornell Green are still there because they both said that they expected to be cut not to mention they're holding onto Javon Walker too.

Fuquay Varina, NC

#16 Jul 9, 2009
I had said Wilson....but meant woodson...oops.....
to your point...Wilson was talent there had to be a disagreement somewhere....
<quoted text>
I still have a hard time understanding why Wilson was cut at the end of the season because he played pretty well. I have a feeling that it was because he opened his mouth after Deangelo Hall was cut. I kept hearing that he missed too many tackles, but he made more than everbody else on the team except Morrison. I really can't believe Michael Huff and Cornell Green are still there because they both said that they expected to be cut not to mention they're holding onto Javon Walker too.
mike moran

Lake Mary, FL

#17 Jul 9, 2009
I kind of though that the cutting of Gibril Wilson was a salary cap move if nothing else. I may be wrong, but my understanding of the cut/cap rules is that if you sign a player like Deangelo Hall to a 7 million deal, then cut him, you dont have to pay him past the point where he is no longer on your team.

But, that FULL 7 million counts against the cap for the rest of that season, even though the player is gone.

So, i kind of thought it was an issue with the space remaining to sign all the draft picks and what not.
<quoted text>

Fuquay Varina, NC

#18 Jul 9, 2009
That makes sense, But I do recall reading somewhere that Gibril wasn't happy for whatever reason....where I read it or who wrote....I can't remember....its hell getting old...HA!
mike moran wrote:
I kind of though that the cutting of Gibril Wilson was a salary cap move if nothing else. I may be wrong, but my understanding of the cut/cap rules is that if you sign a player like Deangelo Hall to a 7 million deal, then cut him, you dont have to pay him past the point where he is no longer on your team.
But, that FULL 7 million counts against the cap for the rest of that season, even though the player is gone.
So, i kind of thought it was an issue with the space remaining to sign all the draft picks and what not.
<quoted text>

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#19 Jul 10, 2009
Hey JBG, Mike, and Faith, Gibril Wilson was cut because he refused to restructure his contract. I know with Tommy Kelly, he restructured to where he wouldn't lose any money and some of what he owed was changed into bonus money instead of salary cap money. They wanted to do the same with Wilson, but he refused because there were other players that weren't playing as well that were not asked to do such a thing and he thought it was BS to have to do such a thing when he was one of the ones playing well.

Fuquay Varina, NC

#20 Jul 10, 2009
That's bad business....kind of a bait and switch...can't blame him for leaving....no one would be happy to get a salary and then be asked to take less a year into it....I know it happens but still not good business....
TexasRaider wrote:
Hey JBG, Mike, and Faith, Gibril Wilson was cut because he refused to restructure his contract. I know with Tommy Kelly, he restructured to where he wouldn't lose any money and some of what he owed was changed into bonus money instead of salary cap money. They wanted to do the same with Wilson, but he refused because there were other players that weren't playing as well that were not asked to do such a thing and he thought it was BS to have to do such a thing when he was one of the ones playing well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Zach Miller Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
San Francisco 49ers vs. Atlanta Falcons: HC Mik... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Jgrog 4
Mike Thomas catches 50-yard TD pass on final pl... (Nov '10) Nov '10 LOL 1
Raiders need couple of more wins despite tough ... (Dec '07) Oct '09 Achmed 7
Oakland Raiders rookie safety Mike Mitchell a h... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Achmed 3
Oakland Raiders camp battles--tight ends (Jul '09) Jul '09 Achmed 2
Raiders sign sixth-round pick TE Myers (Jul '09) Jul '09 Achmed 4
Raiders' Mix of Youth and Vets a Winning Formula (May '09) Jun '09 Achmed 13

Zach Miller People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE