Monday-morning QB'ing on McGahee

Monday-morning QB'ing on McGahee

There are 37 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Oct 31, 2008, titled Monday-morning QB'ing on McGahee. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

It's also another time to debate the Ravens' decision at running back. In the 2007 offseason, the Ravens failed to re-sign Lewis and traded for Willis McGahee .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bobby

New York, NY

#22 Oct 31, 2008
The ravens do not need to bring in McGahee in the 4th quarter. This guy has absolutely no stamina at all. He has talent...sometimes, but he is not durable at all. He can break a 25 yard run untouched and not come back in the game for 2 series. Are you kidding me? And this guy has a 40 million dollar contract. He stamina issues almost cost us the past two games when he decides to cough the ball when we are trying to ice the game. In addition, he had no burst against Oakland like he did against Miami. We, as a team, do not need that. We had enough of that with J-lew. Obviously, McGahee is better the Lew but I am noticing how he is constantly ailing from his lack of conditioning.
Bobby

New York, NY

#23 Oct 31, 2008
Can someone explain to me why we are paying McGahee 40 million dollars? I mean I just haven't seen 40M dollars worth out him. He is out of shape, and gets nicked up for too easily as a result of him being out of shape. He has talent...much more than J-lew but this guy just has NO stamina. He can break a 25 yard run untouched and not get back in the game for 2 series. That's inexcusable. In addition, his stamina problems almost cost us the last two games when he decides to put the ball on the ground in the 4th quarter do to his lack of stamina. My suggestion would be to fully utilize him in first 3 quarters and finish teams off with L-Mac in the 4th quarter.
Lewis Fan

Shelton, CT

#24 Oct 31, 2008
I liked Lewis but he really did need a fresh start. I pull for him when he's not playing against the Ravens. If McGahee can stay healthy, his numbers will be better than Lewis' by season's end. I like Baltimore's running back situation now, however, the Raven's definitely overpaid for McGahee.
Guru

Vienna, VA

#25 Oct 31, 2008
Rafael Joseph McFadden wrote:
<quoted text>
Overrated I don't think so, if it weren't for that horrible injury that he suffered in the championship game against the Buckeyes, he wouldn't even have went to Buffalo at the 21st or 22nd pick. He was destined that year to go in the Top 5. If you go back and look at the college film on him you will see if was never overrated. How can I put this for you non-athletes out there. Anytime you have an serious injury to one of the major areas of your body that is required to play this beautiful game, i.e. your KNEE and the ligaments in that area you are going to lose steps and you will never be the same athlete no matter how much you rehab. So considering his situation and how he battled back I would say he is doing better than most who have suffered the same injury. Look at Carter from Penn State who played for the Bengals, Edwards from Georgia who starred for the Patriots in the mid to late 90's. All have ACL or MCL injuries. Willis is by far ahead of them. So overrated no, not the same player he was at Miami...maybe just a little, but he is still a good back.
MeGahee is overrated, and has been since entering the NFL. He wasn't overrated in college, and probably wasn't overrated in high school or Pop Warner, but that really has no significance when it comes to what he has done in the NFL.

The reason he's overrated is because he has as much talent as nearly any back in the league, but his work ethic and his attitude are horrible. If he worked as hard as Ladanian Tomlinson, he'd be a perennial Pro-Bowler, but he doesn't. He relies solely on his talent, and that's not enough to make someone a premier back.

People are constantly speculating that one day he might change his attitude, develop a work ethic, and achieve a level of performance that isn't achievable to less-talented players. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen. He's the same selfish, half-hearted player that he was when he entered the league. The Ravens hoped he would change along with a change of scenery, and they gave him the kind of money he would deserve if he ever reached the level of his potential. But he didn't. And he won't, unless the addition of Ray Rice - who has a great work ethic - lights a fire under him and forces him to get better. If not, his signing was a bad decision.

That being said, it was definitely time for Jamal to go. We just didn't replace him with the right guy.
No Feathers

Houston, TX

#26 Oct 31, 2008
agree, McGayee is a joke.

ravens are too.

Since: Sep 08

Baltimore

#27 Oct 31, 2008
No Feathers wrote:
agree, McGayee is a joke.
ravens are too.
You really have nothing else to do, huh?
GPT

Baltimore, MD

#28 Oct 31, 2008
Of course Lewis did great when he left. Do you think he would have put up those same numbers had he stayed here? We did not have an O-line last year, we went what 5-11, could that have had anything to do with McGahee's numbers.

Jamaal did well in Cleveland because he kept hearing from the Baltimore media how he was getting old and losing a step, didn't have the same explosiveness, ect. So he had something to prove when he got a fresh start.
Most players that leave a team because they are critised for not living up to their potential usually do pretty well once they are with their next team.
McGahee is doing everything that Cam and John are asking him to do, and working through the injuries. The only complaint I have is it seems that he came to camp out of shape and is still trying to overcome that. With Ray Rice et al. behind him this will push him to be better.

GO RAVENS!!
Dan

United States

#29 Oct 31, 2008
You are comparing apples to oranges. Since these two backs have two totally different offensive lines blocking for them, any comparison you make between their statistics is invalid. The more fair comparison would be between Lewis's last couple years as a RAVEN, and McGahee's numbers thus far with Baltimore. Though I havnt looked at the stats, I would have to guess that in that case McGahee would have the better numbers because Lewis totally stunk it up for the Ravens his last couple seasons in Baltimore.

Still, I would agree that McGahee has not delivered enough for what the Ravens are paying him.
Scott

Linthicum Heights, MD

#30 Oct 31, 2008
Although I was happy to get McGahee, I thought we gave up WAY to much to get him. McGahee is nothing more than a slightly above average back but gets paid like a Top 3 back. The hype for him has ALWAYS exceeded his output.
Jamal on the other hand seems to have found new life in Cleveland. He carried the Ravens for years & was our only offensive weapon besides Stover when we won the big one.
Ray

Annapolis, MD

#31 Oct 31, 2008
The most significant item in the article was the about the 3rd round draft pick Buffalo acquired from the Ravens and used to select Trent Edwards. Even with the McGahee trade being made, the Ravens could have selected Edwards, who was still on the board when they chose Yamon Figurs. Explain that one to me.
Stats arnt everything

Vienna, VA

#32 Oct 31, 2008
I am not a huge fan of McGahee, but at the time it was def the right move. I give much of Jamal's success with the Browns to the fact that he had to prove himself, something that was not a priority in Baltimore. Also Jamal is getting the ball the majority of the time inside the 10. When the Ravens find themselves in these situation, more times than not McGahee is not even in the package. I like the direction in which the organization is heading. It is hard to try new directions when Jamal needs 25+ carries a game. Has Jamal been a better fantasy player than McGahee over the past few years, yes. But to say that it was a misstep for the Ravens not to resign Lewis, not sure if I can agree with you on that.
Rafael Joseph McFadden

Silver Spring, MD

#33 Oct 31, 2008
Guru wrote:
<quoted text>
MeGahee is overrated, and has been since entering the NFL. He wasn't overrated in college, and probably wasn't overrated in high school or Pop Warner, but that really has no significance when it comes to what he has done in the NFL.
The reason he's overrated is because he has as much talent as nearly any back in the league, but his work ethic and his attitude are horrible. If he worked as hard as Ladanian Tomlinson, he'd be a perennial Pro-Bowler, but he doesn't. He relies solely on his talent, and that's not enough to make someone a premier back.
People are constantly speculating that one day he might change his attitude, develop a work ethic, and achieve a level of performance that isn't achievable to less-talented players. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen. He's the same selfish, half-hearted player that he was when he entered the league. The Ravens hoped he would change along with a change of scenery, and they gave him the kind of money he would deserve if he ever reached the level of his potential. But he didn't. And he won't, unless the addition of Ray Rice - who has a great work ethic - lights a fire under him and forces him to get better. If not, his signing was a bad decision.
That being said, it was definitely time for Jamal to go. We just didn't replace him with the right guy.
What are you the Guru of again....football??? I think not buddy. All you know of this guy and Ray Rice for that matter is what the media shows you and a article published by the Sun, which isn't worth the HTML publisher it was developed in. We aren't with these guys 24/7 and we don't truly know his work ethic. I would take him at running back over half of the starting backs in the league, and you have as much talent as I do ice skating, and that is bad.
bhster

Baltimore, MD

#34 Oct 31, 2008
Hard to compare these two RB's because they are in much different circumstances and offensive schemes.
Even so, McGahee's numbers last year on a 5-11 loser Raven team nearly matched Jamal's. This season, you really can't compare the two because they're in vastly different offensive sets. Jamal just wasn't happy playing here any more so it was time to make a move. McGahee appears to be pretty solid but needs to work on his conditioning. I think that this makes the trade/ letting Jamal go about a wash.

“Animals are tasty!”

Since: Oct 08

Avon, CO

#35 Oct 31, 2008
not a even a debate. Jamal was palying terribly at the end in baltimore. end of discussion.
Marcus

Henniker, NH

#36 Oct 31, 2008
McGahee was the only bright spot for the offense last year playing behind an O-line that was very young (excepting JO and Flynn), inexperienced, and had been hurt by injuries. Yeah, he hasn't had a great year so far but he hasn't been awful either. I expect him to be better as the season goes on, he'll likely have a good game this weekend he does well against Cleveland.

It's not like Jamal's averaging over 5 yards a carry or something, he's averaging under 4 just like McGahee is. I loved Jamal as a player but it was his time to go, I think he felt the same way.
Jonosmith

Halethorpe, MD

#37 Nov 1, 2008
Ray wrote:
The most significant item in the article was the about the 3rd round draft pick Buffalo acquired from the Ravens and used to select Trent Edwards. Even with the McGahee trade being made, the Ravens could have selected Edwards, who was still on the board when they chose Yamon Figurs. Explain that one to me.
The Ravens also selected Marshall Yanda in the same round as Figurs and just a few spots before Edwards.

Maybe we would trade both those guys for Edwards now but, at the time, Edwards was coming off an injury. Besides, you may think Ozzie is an idiot for passing on Edwards but he was the 6th QB selected that years, Russell, Quinn, Kolb, Beck and Stanton all went before him.

To date, Edwards has probably turned out the best. How does it feel to be smarter than half a dozen NFL teams? Why don't you apply to the Lions for the GM opening?
Jonosmith

Halethorpe, MD

#38 Nov 1, 2008
Guru wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason he's overrated is because he has as much talent as nearly any back in the league, but his work ethic and his attitude are horrible.
How do you know his work ethic and attitude are horrible? Because Jamison Hensley or the Sun said so? I have a couple of houses to sell you if that is the case.

McGahee users his blockers better than any back we've ever had here,is always a threat to break a big one and catches passes well out of the backfield. He is a perfect change of pace to Ray Rice who is more of a slasher. Right now, Cameron has a 4 headed monster running. There is a good chance that the offense wouldn't work as well if just one of them was featured. There is still time for injuries so be careful what you wish for, you might get it later in the year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willis McGahee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cleveland Browns' Joe Haden brings up a familia... (Dec '13) Jan '14 MedMan 2
News Packers handle visiting Browns (Oct '13) Oct '13 GBPfan 4
News Should Cleveland Browns Give Maurice Clarett a ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Weed In 3
News Oakland Bound? Willis McGahee Releases Free Age... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Corran Horn 6
News Should Denver Broncos Pull Trigger on Marcus La... (Mar '13) Apr '13 Austin Krone 3
News What Does Steven Jackson Voiding His Contract M... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Luke bronco beast 1
News Five hottest wives, girlfriends and exes of (an... (Feb '13) Feb '13 dumbass 3
More from around the web