Monday-morning QB'ing on McGahee

Full story: Baltimore Sun 37
It's also another time to debate the Ravens' decision at running back. In the 2007 offseason, the Ravens failed to re-sign Lewis and traded for Willis McGahee . Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ravens_Flock

Chico, CA

#1 Oct 31, 2008
Hey Jamison..........why not quit trying to stir the pot, just because you have nothing else to write about?

Get the f**k off of McGahee's back dude. He was great for us last season, and if it wasn't for the CRACKED RIB he suffered late in the season, he would have finished with BETTER STATS than Lewis. And he STILL made the Pro Bowl. Guess who didn't? That's right, Jamal Lewis. Guess who's had to play through unfortunate injuries, against tougher running defenses, and is STILL having success as the leading rusher in our "Three Headed Monster" scheme? That's right, Willis McGahee.

So lay the hell off the man already. Get this, he's still got 5 years left on his current contract. If we're lucky, he might just finish his career as a Raven. And in that time, a few things are very well quite possible:

1. His best seasons as a Raven, and of his career, are still ahead of him. At 100%, and with a more serious attitude next offseason towards minicamps and OTAs, he can absolutely still be the feature back that Cam envisions him being.

2. It's very probable that he will return to the Pro Bowl at some point, as a Baltimore Raven. Probably not this season, but it's easily possible in the future. It's also very probable that if he stays healthy, in the grand scheme of things, he will eventually pass Jamal Lewis up as our all time leading rusher.

3. With our defense, and with the new and exciting (dynamic) offensive system that Cameron is still in the process of installing, it is also quite possible that McGahee, within the next five seasons, could very well wind up winning a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens. The Ravens are struggling this season, with a new offense, with a rookie QB, a new head coach, and a string of injuries, and yet we're still winning games. In the coming seasons, if we can avoid the injury bug, and once Harbaugh, Flacco, and Cameron's offense have settled in......one could very well imagine a Baltimore Ravens team that is built and primed to "Win The Big One" again.

So with those factors in mind......IF Willis can stay healthy in his remaining years here, in the long run, what we're talking about with J. Lewis and W. McGahee, are TWO Pro Bowl caliber running backs, two talented feature players. But if Willis eventually wins a ring with us, as Jamal did in his rookie year (thanks to that amazing D), I would honestly have to say that Willis is the more versatile back of the two, and while he may not ever have a 2000+ yard season like Jamal did, he may well still wind up eclipsing Lewis as our greatest franchise RB.

It's just a thought.
Truth

Chantilly, VA

#2 Oct 31, 2008
Although my preference would be to have Jamal back (provided we also would have the two other heads of the monster as well). But, this argument is ridiculous. Both teams are different and use backs in different ways. Willis has more receptions than Jamal(which the writer doesn't mention) but Jamal has definitely lost a step. McGahee is and always has been over-rated. So, given everything, I think it is a wash on a one for one basis. At this point in their careers, my ultimate preference would be to have someone else as the featured back.
Dumb Idea Detector

Bristol, CT

#3 Oct 31, 2008
I think we can all agree that McGahee is not worth his paycheck, but it was time for Jamal to go.
SRB

Laurel, MD

#4 Oct 31, 2008
The issue isn't so much whether it was or wasn't time for Lewis to be replaced -- in my view it clearly was. The issue is the player they chose to replace him. The Ravens picked up a player known as a problem child but who apparently committed to do better. Instead, we got someone with a lousy work ethic, questionable attitude, who runs hard now and then, and who is fragile. McGahee is a Hall of Fame bust and joins Elvis Grbac as one of the poorest decisions the Ravens have ever made. Keep him and his laziness and attitude on the bench and give the ball to Rice and McClain.
jimmy swift

Baltimore, MD

#5 Oct 31, 2008
I never liked getting rid of Jamal and signing Megehee.
didn't like it then - dont like it now . But The Ravens do things like that ( Dilfer ) Maybe it was Billick's influence, always looking for more passes.
Dan eastern shore

Perry, IA

#6 Oct 31, 2008
It was the right decision at the time but Willis appears to be overpayed for the production he's showing this year.Nevertheless,I'm not giving up his potential and he must learn to hit a hole a little faster or harder down the road here and squeak by his linemen one way or another.No regrets from me,yet,about the Willis deal.
Jim C

Lexington Park, MD

#7 Oct 31, 2008
You left out an important statistic while comparing Mc Gahee to Lewis, fumbles.
Whatever

Vienna, VA

#8 Oct 31, 2008
Jamal didn't want to be here anymore. He made that perfectly clear. We all liked jamal...but every article in the last 2-3 years he was here was his hestitation and stutter stepping through the line. The thing is whether or not he deserves the check he gets from the Ravens, willis still is productive. He could be better than he is but he is productive.
Shane

Washington, DC

#9 Oct 31, 2008
There is no debate because Jamal didn't want to play in Baltimore anymore. He has lost a step, and still continues to tip toe to the line and fall for a 1 yard gain more often than breaking a big one. He also wouldn't work in our current offense. He complained about sharing carries with Chester Taylor, so how do you think he would handle having to share carries with TWO other backs. While Willis hasn't been perfect, I think he is a better fit for our offense and has better skills in the open field, and receiving. They both have had their share of off the field drama so that's a wash. Willis better start to work harder in the off season and gain some durability, or else Ray Rice will surpass him and I think he knows that.
Rich

Marion, IA

#10 Oct 31, 2008
What a stupid waste of space this story is. We have the players we have, we are playing far better than anyone thought possible, and the prospects of getting better are almost assured. This is a very good Ravens year, and McGehee is a important member of the team. Yes I said team. Harbaugh has brought the team concept to the Ravens. We win as a team, we lose as a team. As a Raven if you want to play your in. If you want to grumble, please their is a spot on the bench for ya. Football is back in Baltimore, baby!
John Boy Walton

Riverdale, MD

#11 Oct 31, 2008
Hindsight is 20-20. If Ozzie had a better crystal ball, maybe he makes a difference choice. But Lewis was cooked and done here--couldn't be trusted to receive a pass out of the backfield, and stutter-stepped to nowhere. I think Jamal has surprised everyone with his resurgence---well, maybe everyone except Phil Savage. Jamal, I hope you have a good day Sunday, and that the Ravens win.
AKD

United States

#12 Oct 31, 2008
I wish we could see Jamal running behind our current, young, hungry offensive line.

Can you say 2,000 yards?
Dan

Washington, DC

#13 Oct 31, 2008
I didn't like the move then and I don't like the move now. I concede to your argument about the uncertainty at the time. However, we gave up way too much. The stats now prove. Super Bowl 2000 -Jason Sehorn - hit by mack truck - Jamal Lewis. Jamal is one of my all-time favorite Ravens.

“Lets GO BROWNS”

Since: Sep 08

Jamestown NY

#14 Oct 31, 2008
I'm glad the Ravens got rid of Jamal... good pick up for us! Though we have had a couple of times when we had 1st and goal from the one and had to settle for field goals. with a back like Jamal and still can't get it in on three tries... thats why we're 3-4

Since: Oct 08

Holland, MI

#15 Oct 31, 2008
Ravens suck in free agency pick ups bottom line. I really wish they kept Priest Holmes over either Lewis or Mcgahee. Hopefully that was the real Rice we seen last week vs. Oakland, we know they guy is dedicated and committed unlike the others we mention.
Rafael Joseph McFadden

Hanover, MD

#16 Oct 31, 2008
Truth wrote:
Although my preference would be to have Jamal back (provided we also would have the two other heads of the monster as well). But, this argument is ridiculous. Both teams are different and use backs in different ways. Willis has more receptions than Jamal(which the writer doesn't mention) but Jamal has definitely lost a step. McGahee is and always has been over-rated. So, given everything, I think it is a wash on a one for one basis. At this point in their careers, my ultimate preference would be to have someone else as the featured back.
Overrated I don't think so, if it weren't for that horrible injury that he suffered in the championship game against the Buckeyes, he wouldn't even have went to Buffalo at the 21st or 22nd pick. He was destined that year to go in the Top 5. If you go back and look at the college film on him you will see if was never overrated. How can I put this for you non-athletes out there. Anytime you have an serious injury to one of the major areas of your body that is required to play this beautiful game, i.e. your KNEE and the ligaments in that area you are going to lose steps and you will never be the same athlete no matter how much you rehab. So considering his situation and how he battled back I would say he is doing better than most who have suffered the same injury. Look at Carter from Penn State who played for the Bengals, Edwards from Georgia who starred for the Patriots in the mid to late 90's. All have ACL or MCL injuries. Willis is by far ahead of them. So overrated no, not the same player he was at Miami...maybe just a little, but he is still a good back.
Shazammmm

Woodbridge, VA

#17 Oct 31, 2008
Ravens_Flock wrote:
Hey Jamison..........why not quit trying to stir the pot, just because you have nothing else to write about?
Get the f**k off of McGahee's back dude. He was great for us last season, and if it wasn't for the CRACKED RIB he suffered late in the season, he would have finished with BETTER STATS than Lewis. And he STILL made the Pro Bowl. Guess who didn't? That's right, Jamal Lewis. Guess who's had to play through unfortunate injuries, against tougher running defenses, and is STILL having success as the leading rusher in our "Three Headed Monster" scheme? That's right, Willis McGahee.
So lay the hell off the man already. Get this, he's still got 5 years left on his current contract. If we're lucky, he might just finish his career as a Raven. And in that time, a few things are very well quite possible:
1. His best seasons as a Raven, and of his career, are still ahead of him. At 100%, and with a more serious attitude next offseason towards minicamps and OTAs, he can absolutely still be the feature back that Cam envisions him being.
2. It's very probable that he will return to the Pro Bowl at some point, as a Baltimore Raven. Probably not this season, but it's easily possible in the future. It's also very probable that if he stays healthy, in the grand scheme of things, he will eventually pass Jamal Lewis up as our all time leading rusher.
3. With our defense, and with the new and exciting (dynamic) offensive system that Cameron is still in the process of installing, it is also quite possible that McGahee, within the next five seasons, could very well wind up winning a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens. The Ravens are struggling this season, with a new offense, with a rookie QB, a new head coach, and a string of injuries, and yet we're still winning games. In the coming seasons, if we can avoid the injury bug, and once Harbaugh, Flacco, and Cameron's offense have settled in......one could very well imagine a Baltimore Ravens team that is built and primed to "Win The Big One" again.
So with those factors in mind......IF Willis can stay healthy in his remaining years here, in the long run, what we're talking about with J. Lewis and W. McGahee, are TWO Pro Bowl caliber running backs, two talented feature players. But if Willis eventually wins a ring with us, as Jamal did in his rookie year (thanks to that amazing D), I would honestly have to say that Willis is the more versatile back of the two, and while he may not ever have a 2000+ yard season like Jamal did, he may well still wind up eclipsing Lewis as our greatest franchise RB.
It's just a thought.
Bruh, I couldn't have said it better great comment. All of us McGahee haters need to lay off of him, so he has a history of being lazy during camp but damn the NFL will punish you in many ways then one. What right now he's got fluid drained from his knee I think he's dealing with it the best way he can with lingering injuries.

W.G. do your thing bruh!
Not the whole picture

Millersville, MD

#19 Oct 31, 2008
Jamison,

This story fails to take into account the terrible season the Ravens had last year. Knowing the Ravens couldn't throw the ball, teams were stacking the box against the run. Still, McGahee, who only played on two downs for whatever reason, managed to have a solid season. This year, the Ravens are using three running backs to good results--so McGahee's carriers, and scoring opportunities for that matter, have decreased. The Browns, in contrast, rely almost solely on Lewis and had an above average season offensively last year, particularly in the passing game, which, in turn, opened up the run. Had we kept Lewis, we probably would not have ended up with Rice and McClain. Different circumstances, more often than not, beget different results. The approach is working--and, if you're in it for the wins (not to mention, potential upside) and not individual stats, this was clearly the better road.
james

Aberdeen, MD

#20 Oct 31, 2008
Twinkle Toes Lewis was injured his last two years here and as a result looked horrible. He also had an attitude problem and made it clear on several occasions that he wouldn't play hard if he didn't feel like it. Thanks for the memories, but it was time for him to leave.
No Feathers

Houston, TX

#21 Oct 31, 2008
Rich wrote:
What a stupid waste of space this story is.
Agree, post #1 was a stupid waste of space. Just like the Ravens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willis McGahee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cleveland Browns' Joe Haden brings up a familia... (Dec '13) Jan '14 MedMan 2
Packers handle visiting Browns (Oct '13) Oct '13 GBPfan 4
Should Cleveland Browns Give Maurice Clarett a ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Weed In 3
Oakland Bound? Willis McGahee Releases Free Age... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Corran Horn 6
Should Denver Broncos Pull Trigger on Marcus La... (Mar '13) Apr '13 Austin Krone 3
What Does Steven Jackson Voiding His Contract M... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Luke bronco beast 1
Five hottest wives, girlfriends and exes of (an... (Feb '13) Feb '13 dumbass 3

Willis McGahee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE