Harbaugh: Ravens will stick with all three backs

Full story: Baltimore Sun 18
Ravens coach John Harbaugh said the team will continue to use a running back by committee, refusing today to name a No. Full Story
eman

Millsboro, DE

#1 Dec 8, 2008
I don't understand why people need to hear a starting RB named. We've all seen that the Ravens will go with whichever back is working the best on a particular day. All that "starting" really means if that he may take the first couple snaps and could then be replaced if one of the other two backs is a better option for that particular game.
Ace

Pasadena, MD

#2 Dec 8, 2008
eman wrote:
I don't understand why people need to hear a starting RB named. We've all seen that the Ravens will go with whichever back is working the best on a particular day. All that "starting" really means if that he may take the first couple snaps and could then be replaced if one of the other two backs is a better option for that particular game.
I don't think people do. I think sportswriters do because they want stuff to write about. I think the fans, more or less, just want the team to keep winning.
Raven in Rhode Island

Providence, RI

#3 Dec 8, 2008
I think that the Ravens do need all three running backs. They need to have the change of pace back. We will especially need them against the Steelers. But, I feel that McClain is the stud of group. He is the one who will brake the D-line of the Steelers, much like the guy Choice did for the Cowboys yestgerday. That guy is not that well known, except around the ACC, Georgia Tech. He ran for 80 plus yds, and also caught several passes for another 70 plus yds. This is why I feel all 3 guys need to play.
jnyU

Okatie, SC

#4 Dec 8, 2008
Hmm, I wonder what game Harbaugh was watching - McGahee flat out sucked. He did his best to give away a game we had won. There have been several games where McClain has pounded it in the beginning and then we don't see him again for a couple of quarters while McGahee stinks it up. If he's hurt let him rest. We don't need him when we have McClain and Rice anyway.
gscaton1

Ellicott City, MD

#5 Dec 8, 2008
That will make Anita Marks happy. Thats her Stud Muffin McGahee. She was tongue tied last nite trying to defend him. I do believe they did all three but if I was the coach next week, I wouldn't start McGahee, he doesn't deserve it.
Reality

Owings Mills, MD

#6 Dec 8, 2008
Stone him!!!
tom

Baltimore, MD

#8 Dec 8, 2008
hammering it up in there?? missed that, must've been when he wasn't fumbling and running backwards. flacco needs to get sharper on reads and decision making also, otherwise i think we're getting the most out of our talent on offense. might be enough this year.

Since: Nov 08

Maple Shade, NJ

#9 Dec 8, 2008
FIRE TREMBLEY.......

On September 19th, FIRE TREMBLEY WROTE...... "We'll see how you feel in January...after we finish the season with 4 wins...."

TWO MONTHS LATER... On November 19th, FIRE TREMBLEY WROTE......"Check back with me in 3 weeks when this team is 6-7, and all you homers are calling for John Harbaugh's head..."

Since: Nov 08

Maple Shade, NJ

#10 Dec 8, 2008
Do you think that FIRE TREMBLEY will EVER answer HIS OWN WORDS?........

On September 19th, FIRE TREMBLEY WROTE...... "We'll see how you feel in January...after we finish the season with 4 wins...."

TWO MONTHS LATER... On November 19th, FIRE TREMBLEY WROTE......"Check back with me in 3 weeks when this team is 6-7, and all you homers are calling for John Harbaugh's head..."
Marcus

Henniker, NH

#11 Dec 8, 2008
Yeah no use beating around the bush McGahee was awful, maybe he can redeem himself the last few weeks, although not likely against the Steelers, but the guys only had two real good games this year. McClain was decent against the Steelers back on MNF and he'll be getting his carries again on Sunday.
jon dey

Saint John, Canada

#12 Dec 8, 2008
Frederick Fan wrote:
Do you think that FIRE TREMBLEY will EVER answer HIS OWN WORDS?........
Don't let it get to you. He'll never own up to what he says wrong. One of these times he's going to be right and we'll never hear the end of it.
We're 9-4 and the writers want to know who the starting back will be. So do the Steelers!
GMA

Catonsville, MD

#13 Dec 8, 2008
Fire Trembley is one of those "dudes" that is the last hired and the first fired. Story of his life and this forum is just more of it.

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#14 Dec 8, 2008
GHT wrote:
sometimes I don't know if I can believe Harbaugh. I know he doesn't throw his players under the bus but lets call a spade a spade. McGahee was dreadful. You could not sugar coat it any other way.
To me, it's very reminiscent of Billick's "I thought he played very very well", in reference to Steve McNair, after McNair stunk up the place. Harbaugh is a better coach IMO for other reasons, but his pressers suck wind.

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#15 Dec 8, 2008
jnyU wrote:
Hmm, I wonder what game Harbaugh was watching - McGahee flat out sucked. He did his best to give away a game we had won. There have been several games where McClain has pounded it in the beginning and then we don't see him again for a couple of quarters while McGahee stinks it up. If he's hurt let him rest. We don't need him when we have McClain and Rice anyway.
Word. I have to give Harbaugh credit for getting this team to 9-4. But man oh man...I wish he'd either shut up and stop giving pressers, or say things that make sense. To say that he didn't see any problems with McGahee is just flat out ridiculous.
AGspoilsport

Halethorpe, MD

#16 Dec 8, 2008
GHT wrote:
sometimes I don't know if I can believe Harbaugh. I know he doesn't throw his players under the bus but lets call a spade a spade. McGahee was dreadful. You could not sugar coat it any other way.
You can't believe Harbaugh and he doesn't care if you do.

Throwing Ravens under the bus is your job.

He's a coach trying to win his next three games, not some blogger who can shoot his mouth off and say whatever he feels. Whatever the story is with Macgahee there is plenty of time to address it after the last game. Until then this team is going to need everyone on board as much as possible. Rice may be hurt and Mclain has been known to disappear at times. It's not as if Mclain and Rice are
Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor.

By the way anyone notice how Phil Savage, who was the genuis behind Ozzie, is now about to get fired by the woeful Clowns? Where are all you Ozzie haters now?
Ravens_Flock

Chico, CA

#17 Dec 8, 2008
The Sun REALLY needs to quit stirring the pot on this sh*t. Drop it already. I mean for CHRIST'S sake, what do you guys want? Willis has been playing hurt all season, he's dealt with knee, ankle, eye, and rib injuries, and yet he's still played tough and in pain, and through all that, he's STILL racked up over 500 yds. and 5 TDs. Yes, McClain has been our "best" back in the past three games, but that could also have something to do with the fact that he's gotten the most carries, and he happens to be the heaviest, pounding up the middle against stout run defenses. McGahee and Rice are not "pound it up the middle" guys, and Cameron needs to quit trying to use them as such. They'd both be getting more yards if he rushed them more off the edges. Period.

I'm willing to bet that had we started McClain last night, and started pounding it up the middle early with HIM, instead of trying to do so with Willis, that we would have tired out their D much earlier in the game, and then we could have given the rock to McGahee and Rice, who could have found more holes and broke out for bigger yards, instead of trying to run up the gut and both getting hurt. Yeah, great strategy.

But regardless, two of our backs have over 500 yds. rushing, and Rice has over 450. We ARE going to be the only team in the NFL with three backs over 500 yds. by the end of the season, and I wouldn't be surprised if they each wound up with over 600. I would like to see McGahee get at least another couple TDs in these last two games, and it would be great to see Rice finally get a TD (that counts).

The Ravens are primed for January already, with an amazing defense (despite injuries), a solid O-line, a great running game, and an improving passing game. I think we are ready for that playoff run. Go Ravens!
Maui Guy

Van Nuys, CA

#18 Dec 8, 2008
Man, I have to know who the NUMBER ONE back is. Like I have to, man. Like if I don't know the NAME OF THE MAN, dude I might freak out.

TELL ME THE NAME OF THE FIRST STRING BACK NOW!!!!!!
Fatter than Fridge

Cockeysville, MD

#19 Dec 8, 2008
gscaton1 wrote:
That will make Anita Marks happy. Thats her Stud Muffin McGahee. She was tongue tied last nite trying to defend him. I do believe they did all three but if I was the coach next week, I wouldn't start McGahee, he doesn't deserve it.
lol marks is horrible....like listening to a smoke alarm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willis McGahee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cleveland Browns' Joe Haden brings up a familia... (Dec '13) Jan '14 MedMan 2
Packers handle visiting Browns (Oct '13) Oct '13 GBPfan 4
Should Cleveland Browns Give Maurice Clarett a ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Weed In 3
Oakland Bound? Willis McGahee Releases Free Age... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Corran Horn 6
Should Denver Broncos Pull Trigger on Marcus La... (Mar '13) Apr '13 Austin Krone 3
What Does Steven Jackson Voiding His Contract M... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Luke bronco beast 1
Five hottest wives, girlfriends and exes of (an... (Feb '13) Feb '13 dumbass 3
•••
•••

Willis McGahee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••