Oregon's defense used to getting overlooked | BuckeyeXtra

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Oregon's defense is used to being slighted. The Ducks' high-octane offense gets almost all the attention.
Comments
1 - 20 of 61 Comments Last updated Jan 5, 2010
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
mittymjs

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Dec 29, 2009
It is a LOT HARDER to run the ball in the BIG 10 than in the PAC 10. And then it is a lot easier to run the ball in the PAC 10 than in the BIG 10. Oregons strength is running the ball. I make this statement based on clear statistical facts. Yes statistics do not always predict accurately, but they ARE the BEST factual predictors we have to work with. And don't misunderstand where I am coming from here - I am not predicting who will win.

I asked myself up front why Oregon is so good offensively - is it because they are really good or because they play against relatively weaker defenses which allow their offense to perform better. I studied the NCAA season statistics of all of the PAC 10 teams and all of the BIG 10 teams. I particularly focused on the top 3 teams in each conference. I won't bore you with the results ( if anyone wants them say so and I will detail them ) but they show VERY CLEARLY - STRIKING ACTUALLY; in all the defensive catagories, that the BIG 10 is much better in defense than the PAC 10 and especiallly in rushing defense, scoring defense and total defense! I also studied each teams ( Oregons and OSU's ) non-conference games.

And my analysis ALSO included a comparison of each teams and conference statistics offensively - so one cannot say OSU and the top 3 BIG 10 teams play much inferior offensive teams than in the PAC 10 ( and thereby are able to dominate defensively )- they do not! Offensively the top 5 in both conferences are pretty close in the major offensive stats.
So the issue of how good Oregons DEFENSE is seems an appropriate one to raise.
I will make one final point about the PAC 10 - they seemed to have an off year offensively. I think almost any other year, they would show up a lot stronger offensively compared to the BIG 10.
Duck in Portland

Portland, OR

#2 Dec 29, 2009
mittymjs wrote:
It is a LOT HARDER to run the ball in the BIG 10 than in the PAC 10. And then it is a lot easier to run the ball in the PAC 10 than in the BIG 10. Oregons strength is running the ball. I make this statement based on clear statistical facts. Yes statistics do not always predict accurately, but they ARE the BEST factual predictors we have to work with. And don't misunderstand where I am coming from here - I am not predicting who will win.
I asked myself up front why Oregon is so good offensively - is it because they are really good or because they play against relatively weaker defenses which allow their offense to perform better. I studied the NCAA season statistics of all of the PAC 10 teams and all of the BIG 10 teams. I particularly focused on the top 3 teams in each conference. I won't bore you with the results ( if anyone wants them say so and I will detail them ) but they show VERY CLEARLY - STRIKING ACTUALLY; in all the defensive catagories, that the BIG 10 is much better in defense than the PAC 10 and especiallly in rushing defense, scoring defense and total defense! I also studied each teams ( Oregons and OSU's ) non-conference games.
And my analysis ALSO included a comparison of each teams and conference statistics offensively - so one cannot say OSU and the top 3 BIG 10 teams play much inferior offensive teams than in the PAC 10 ( and thereby are able to dominate defensively )- they do not! Offensively the top 5 in both conferences are pretty close in the major offensive stats.
So the issue of how good Oregons DEFENSE is seems an appropriate one to raise.
I will make one final point about the PAC 10 - they seemed to have an off year offensively. I think almost any other year, they would show up a lot stronger offensively compared to the BIG 10.
The top 5 are not that close on the offensive side of the ball. I don't know where your stats come from but it isn't true. One of your best teams offensively (psu) has played only you and Iowa (beatdown both times) and no one out of conference, they racked up yards and points against all of them. There is a bigger difference in our offenses than our defenses.
TommyDucky

United States

#3 Dec 29, 2009
I think you posted this exact thing several times this week.

Your analysis proves nothing. I can make the exact same point with Ohio State's D - they are statistically superior because of the lack of BIG 10 quality offenses.

Bring on the game - and stop the trash talking. My prediction - if Oregon leads at the half, forget about it! If Ohio State is up at the end of the 3rd quarter, you have a great chance at a victory!
Woody

Columbus, OH

#4 Dec 29, 2009
I am amazed how lightly the Oregon folks are taking this game! I cannot wait...they think they are going to just run us over? LOL I cannot wait. Ohio State will dominate this game and expose Oregon for what they are...2nd tier...there is no way Oregon will win this game. They will get run over by our O-Line...straight at them, north to south and back again...by the way have you seen Pryor horrible passing stats? They are right up thehere with you superior quaterback! OMG...I cannot wait. I bet they don't score over 17 points on our defense either...YES, WE ARE TAKING ALL YOUR MOUTHY COMMENTS PERSONALLY!!

Bucks 30-14
Quack Addict

United States

#5 Dec 29, 2009
Ah Woody, you're so cute when you're angry.

So your team is both going to roll all over Oregon and stop them in their tracks? Just like how your team rolled up on USC and stopped them? Or more like how Oregon rolled up USC and stuffed them?

If either fanbase has a reason to be more cocky I would think it is the Ducks as they beat the same two opponents your team lost to. I am not saying this is a guarantee predictor of the victor in the Rosebowl. I am merely pointing out the fact that comparing wins and losses verses same opponents is the best indicator we have available as to which team is better.

Maybe if you took of your homer glasses long enough you would see it this way.

I personally believe it will be a very good and close game. However, if by a slim chance the game is a blowout, its far more likely that OSU will be on the receiving end as their Offense ranks in the bottom of the BCS division while Oregons's is on top.
James

United States

#6 Dec 29, 2009
Oregon's SOS #4

Ohio States SOS #59

When the competition is factored in completely, Oregon's stats look more impressive to me.

But games aren't won on stat sheets. This is anybody's game, but don't be surprised if Oregon's defense proves to be more stout than expected and Ohio States' defense gets exposed.

Chip Kelly is an incredible coach and he will find a way to score the ball.
mittymjs

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Dec 29, 2009
These are end of season NCAA National Offensive statistical rankings ( ps - I get them simply off the NCAA website!):
Top 5 in PAC 10 in "pass offense" rank
21/39/42/50/59
Top 5 in BIG 10 in "pass offense" rank
26/29/33/34/40

Top 5 in PAC 10 in "rush offense" rank
6/11/37/39/47
Top 5 in BIG 10 in "rush offense" rank
14/18/19/27/38

Now to these statistical facts you say the top 5 are not that close on the offensive side of the ball??? I doubt most people would come to that same conclusion looking at these numbers! And again the stats ( not my stats ) come from the NCAA website - check them out for yourself.

So the BIG 10 has no more or no less "quality offenses" than does the PAC 10 - yes it is "true".

NO "trash talk" here - absolutely none; you flatter yourself with that notion! Just simple statistical facts!



Quack Addict

United States

#8 Dec 29, 2009
mitty,

Did OSU play the top 3 offenses in the Big 10 this year?

In the PAC10 every team plays each other every year.

Isnt it true OSU has the best D in the Big 10 but they didnt even play the top 2 offenses in their own conference?

I am merely posing the question as I do not know this to be fact - I believe I read it from another poster on here.
Huntilly

Redmond, OR

#9 Dec 29, 2009
Mitty, your same analysis over and over is not going to change the fact that the Pac-10 was twice as good as the Big-ten.

Top 5 Pac-10 teams in sagarins strength of schedule Uo-7, USC-6, Az-5, OSU-15, Stan-23.

Top 5 Big-ten teams in sagarins strength of schedule tOSU-61, Iowa-51, PSU-80, Wis-71, MSU-55.

All this shows is that your crap analysis is inflated because of ridiculous schedules.
betnotti

Youngstown, OH

#10 Dec 29, 2009
Quack Addict wrote:
mitty,
Isnt it true OSU has the best D in the Big 10 but they didnt even play the top 2 offenses in their own conference?
The did not play MSU which is #3 and NW #8. So to answer your question, no it isn't true.
betnotti

Youngstown, OH

#11 Dec 29, 2009
Huntilly wrote:
Mitty, your same analysis over and over is not going to change the fact that the Pac-10 was twice as good as the Big-ten.
Top 5 Pac-10 teams in sagarins strength of schedule Uo-7, USC-6, Az-5, OSU-15, Stan-23.
Top 5 Big-ten teams in sagarins strength of schedule tOSU-61, Iowa-51, PSU-80, Wis-71, MSU-55.
All this shows is that your crap analysis is inflated because of ridiculous schedules.
That strength of schedule stat is good only if you win the games. The top 5 in the pac10 went a mediocre 12-5 out of conference. That takes a bit of starch out of sagarin hype. pac10 twice as good? Thats just asinine. That said, none of these computer rankings, stats, we played, you played, they played makes a bit of difference. If you are going to come on here and say that uo's offense is overated, you are not being honest or you are clueless and the same goes for the OSU defense. It will be strength against strength. Whichever team makes the least amount of mistakes wins the game. It is as simple as that.
Student

Columbus, OH

#12 Dec 29, 2009
Your really predicting this game based on opponents and SOS?! Let me know how that works out for you because im positive bowl games always go as expected. On top of that any team can show up any given saturday. There is no way you can compare two teams based on how they faired against the same opponent. Thats laughable and I feel sorry for you when you get the shock of your life on Jan 1! Sorry to ruin your New Year someone has to lose

“Media Darling USC! BRAAHAHAHA!”

Since: Jan 07

I'm Blessed to Live In DIXIE!

#13 Dec 29, 2009
Woody wrote:
I am amazed how lightly the Oregon folks are taking this game! I cannot wait...they think they are going to just run us over? LOL I cannot wait. Ohio State will dominate this game and expose Oregon for what they are...2nd tier...there is no way Oregon will win this game. They will get run over by our O-Line...straight at them, north to south and back again...by the way have you seen Pryor horrible passing stats? They are right up thehere with you superior quaterback! OMG...I cannot wait. I bet they don't score over 17 points on our defense either...YES, WE ARE TAKING ALL YOUR MOUTHY COMMENTS PERSONALLY!!
Bucks 30-14
> Woody Wood Pecker! Where have you been since referee, Terry Porter, stole the CFB NC game from Miami and gave it to Ohio State? Since that time ... Ohio State hasn't dominated anyone! FACT!!! Now, have a nice day up there in the state of delusion ... Ohio.
>:)
jason oliver

Findlay, OH

#14 Dec 29, 2009
This should be OSU's unappreciated offense that replaced 3 o-lineman, 2 recievers, and a star runningback. This is the dispatch who loves OSU money but hates the buckeyes. Boycot the Dispatch it sucks.
jason oliver

Findlay, OH

#15 Dec 29, 2009
The idiot who posted the stuff about the pac-10 should have watched the pac-10 so far in bowl games the first two got their a$$es beat and USC had to have the refs save them at home
jason oliver

Findlay, OH

#16 Dec 29, 2009
Art deco man, really sounds like you like women.
westcoast buckeye forever

Huntington Beach, CA

#17 Dec 29, 2009
been having a blast reading everyones posts about how either the Bucks or Ducks will destroy the other team. Anyone who follows politics at all knows that statistics are made to be manipulated, so lets just take those arguments for what they are; propaganda for OUR team. How about a discussion of "intangibles"? The Ducks have much less to lose, are already a "loose" team and therefore, MUST win. On the other hand, the Bucks are playing for their very reputation as a national power, are a proud and storied franchise and are playing less than a #1 thru 3 national power for the first time in a few years, therefore they MUST win.(Anyone notice a similarity to "the Sicilian argument"?) I predict that this will be one of the better bowl games this year, with lots of wide open offense by BOTH teams and the last team to score will probably win! Of course, it could be a blowout either way if the "statistical prognosticators" get lucky, but I will be there and expect to be completely entertained, exhausted, and exhilarated by a close BUCKEYE VICTORY in the last minute of play.
big D

Houston, TX

#18 Dec 29, 2009
James wrote:
Oregon's SOS #4
Ohio States SOS #59
When the competition is factored in completely, Oregon's stats look more impressive to me.
But games aren't won on stat sheets. This is anybody's game, but don't be surprised if Oregon's defense proves to be more stout than expected and Ohio States' defense gets exposed.
Chip Kelly is an incredible coach and he will find a way to score the ball.
Oregon vs. current top 15 ranked teams: 0-1

Ohio State vs. current top 15 ranked teams: 2-0

Since: Dec 09

Westerville

#19 Dec 29, 2009
"Oregon's Ddefense used to getting overlooked"

As well they should. They average giving up almost 31 points a game. Stanford, a four loss team hung 51 on em. They have one defensive lineman weighing over 265 and one linebacker weighing over 225. Not only is Pryor faster than anyone on their defense, he is bigger than most. Ohio State will run the ball right up the gut and there will be cleat marks on their back. Ohio State has beat this team seven times without a loss. Number eight...coming to you Jan 1, 2010!

“Media Darling USC! BRAAHAHAHA!”

Since: Jan 07

I'm Blessed to Live In DIXIE!

#20 Dec 29, 2009
jason oliver wrote:
Art deco man, really sounds like you like women.
> I do like women! FACT!!!
>:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walter Thurmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New York Giants news, 7/17: Walter Thurmond's f... Jul '14 Nana 1
Harris should beg to differ on rank Apr '14 Axe Body Spray 2
Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Bobby Simmons 2
Seahawks star Sherman wins appeal (Dec '12) Dec '12 stephanie 1
Oregon Football: Ducks no strangers to chasing ... (Nov '10) Nov '10 ckorducksfan 1
Blog: Hasselbeck preparing for Raiders' speedy ... (Oct '10) Nov '10 Bullfarts 11
Carroll on Hasselbeck: 'We think he'll play' | ... (Nov '10) Nov '10 spseahawks 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Walter Thurmond People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••