Under Armour's ad takes a few hits

Under Armour's ad takes a few hits

There are 40 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Under Armour's ad takes a few hits. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Under Armour's debut Super Bowl commercial may not have won many popularity contests, but that doesn't mean it didn't succeed in reaching its target audience, the company and marketing experts said yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
John Doe Baltimore

AOL

#23 Feb 5, 2008
Ray Lewis was in it, that is all that matters
Tom UF

Rosedale, MD

#24 Feb 5, 2008
The ad was stupid and ill-conceived. If UA thought it was producing another ad like Apple's 1984, it was wrong. I have been a big supporter of Under Armour, its products and its stock. However, it took just 60 seconds for my admiration for this company to die. Oh, and by the way, Ray Lewis is yesterday's news.
shart

Baltimore, MD

#25 Feb 5, 2008
I didn't like it, there was nothing memorable about it and I doubt anyone outside of Baltimore cared that Ray Lewis was in it.
shart

Baltimore, MD

#26 Feb 5, 2008
kaneforgov wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it's an excellent product. I'm totally sold on the fabric technology after wearing it for workouts. It does exactly what they claim as opposed to wearing cotton. I've yet to try the shoes.
I have a lot of respect for Kevin Plank and UA. They created a new product to fill a consumer need in a mature market. That's almost unheard of in retail today.
Having said that, the Super Bowl ad was weak.
I completely agree with you. It is a superior product, I don't anybody who has ever tried it to not like it. Most people rave about and go buy more
Hank

Severna Park, MD

#27 Feb 5, 2008
A bad ad for a cheap product.
Reese

Severna Park, MD

#28 Feb 5, 2008
Christina wrote:
It got people talking...everyone here who just complained about this ad got someone who may not have seen it to go look.
Got people talking, but won't have me buying. So I guess it didn't work.
Will

Severna Park, MD

#29 Feb 5, 2008
Steve wrote:
Some people just don't have enough to do in life. Imagine spending your life as a "media critic" or wasting time thinking about and criticizing commercials. What a hoot. Talk about wasted time. Who gives a rat's patootie about a commercial. Advertising was developed originally for 2 reasons: make people aware of a product; convince them of its quality. Now we are critiquing them as an art form. Look at some real art folks.
Super Bowl Sunday has become a farce. Commercials, the junk food chip and cheese dip industry, all day analysis of everything from players' shoelaces to their personal lives - what silliness. Football has become a sideline. You had to really try to see football between the commercials. Talk about soft, no wonder the Middle East looks at us with scorn.
Personally, I do give a rat's patootie about a commercial. There goes your theory.
Tony

Norfolk, VA

#30 Feb 5, 2008
That's the whole point! Hardcore athletes who wear UA are SUPPOSED to be intimidating. I didn't think it was the best commercial ever, but it definitely sticks with UA's identity. The article said that most people didn't think the ad made them interested in the shoe, but I just think that it's because it's not a great looking shoe (at least in my opinion) not because the ad was bad. It definitely made me want some other UA apparel. The image that UA has always portrayed is not supposed to be about dalmatians and puking babies (although I thought that was hilarious) they're supposed to be about rugged, tough athletes, and the ad definitely did its job in that respect.
anippy

United States

#31 Feb 5, 2008
I thought it was a great ad - it was attention-grabbing and different. Instead of stupid bar scenes or ridiculous office cubicles, it presenting some fascinating imagery. I am so out of the loop athlete-wise, that I didn't realize until I saw Ray Lewis that there were supposed to be professional athletes in the ad. I thought they were all Real Joe types, which is probably why I enjoyed the ad more.
Marie

Chicago, IL

#32 Feb 5, 2008
Under This wrote:
Under Armour=Pretentious overpriced crap made for pretentious overpaid "athletes".
Maybe. But for those of us who must work outdoors in extreme weather conditions, nothing beats the comfort.
Jay

Grand Rapids, MI

#33 Feb 5, 2008
Just goes to show you that a company that's too hung up on it's own ego and internal agency can't get out of it's own way.
House Protector

Washington, DC

#34 Feb 5, 2008
Anita wrote:
I am a 38 year old female and I got the shoe ad. When I saw the shoe the first thing I thought is whose shoes are those then wait a second UA carries shoes now, they are cute might have to look into the them, like the style.
Exactly! My wife goes "OOOOHHH! I want the pink ones!" As a big fan of the Under Armour product for nearly a decade now, the commercial fit right in with their overall brand strategy. They focus on the "hard core" athlete that every weekend warrior and after work weight lifter aspires to be. Their product is top quality and attractive. The shoes will sell, whether you liked the ad or not.
concernedcitizen

United States

#35 Feb 5, 2008
I thought about investing in UA when it took a dump. According to SmartMoney:

Under Armour doesn't have a patent on the fabric or its sweat-busting process, so it has to rely mainly on its brand name to ward off rivals.

That could be a problem for UA in the future. As far as the commercial, it was cheesy! I felt better knowing that I passed up an opportunity to buy the stock at a 52 week low.
Bill

Columbiana, AL

#36 Feb 5, 2008
I am in my 40s and loved the ad. If you did not get it you are not the target market. It is all about us vs them UA vs Nike. The theme runs though many of their ads. Enough with the marxist, stalinist, neo nazi BS its a damn ad, see it for what it is. A marketing tool to sell you product. I have already preordered 2 pair
Jeff

Baltimore, MD

#37 Feb 6, 2008
Bill, I'm another 40-something who has some UA gym clothes and I say you can't let UA off the hook ("its a damn ad") that easily. They use imagery for a reason, and the image I got could be described as fascist. The commercial hardly showed any shoes at all! Instead, it was selling a vision of UA that was dark, claustrophobic and even apocolyptic. Maybe they can save this ad and run it in theaters that are showing "Transformers" and other adolescent-oriented fare.
aridtotle15

Willimantic, CT

#38 Feb 6, 2008
anippy wrote:
I thought it was a great ad - it was attention-grabbing and different. Instead of stupid bar scenes or ridiculous office cubicles, it presenting some fascinating imagery. I am so out of the loop athlete-wise, that I didn't realize until I saw Ray Lewis that there were supposed to be professional athletes in the ad. I thought they were all Real Joe types, which is probably why I enjoyed the ad more.
thanks finally someone feels the same way I do. all i hear is people bitching and complaining about it, the ad was great!!
mitch

United States

#39 Feb 6, 2008
One problem with the ad is that it includes about 25 professional athletes but who could identify even 5 of them?!!? What a waste of endorsement dollars!

http://superbowlcommercials.blogspot.com
Heather

Edgewood, NM

#40 Feb 6, 2008
Sure, the ad was fascist, but now so's the country, so it fits in.
ray lewis 52

AOL

#41 Feb 13, 2008
im glad ray lewis was in it tired of seeing horriable qbs in commercials like brady and manning who should do cry baby commercials on how to change diapers and attend to childrens diaper rashes then u have old brett favre doin i may retire again next year commercials so i wouldnt comment on ray lewis hes still the best at his spot as was indicated last year ,,,i dont care if he killed 50 people the guy can play football bottom line who would u rather see some moron from cleveland who even cares about the browns in the market lol
ya digg

Union City, NJ

#42 Apr 26, 2008
the future is OURRRRRSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vernon Davis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kawakami: Time is right for 49ers' York and Baa... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Fart news 2
News Purdy: 49ers headquarters just a big junior hig... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Fart news 2
News San Francisco 49ers: Where did it all go wrong? (Dec '14) Jan '15 Levi Stadium sucks 8
News New York Giants' Larry Donnell Benches Himself ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Flatulence Fred 2
News Baalke, Harbaugh won't tolerate domestic violence (Sep '14) Sep '14 John Harbaugh 2
News Niners' Willis questionable against Texans (Oct '13) May '14 MichaelSam1987 2
News TE Gonzalez named to 14th Pro Bowl (Jan '14) Jan '14 WhoCaresAboutTheP... 1
More from around the web