Under Armour's ad takes a few hits

Under Armour's ad takes a few hits

There are 40 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Under Armour's ad takes a few hits. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Under Armour's debut Super Bowl commercial may not have won many popularity contests, but that doesn't mean it didn't succeed in reaching its target audience, the company and marketing experts said yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
only three

Washington, DC

#1 Feb 5, 2008
I didn't feel UA was talking to me. A 40-ish year old white guy who buys two pairs of $75 "sneakers" a year to work out and play ball in.

I hope my disappointment in the commercial just means I'm not in the target market. I felt like the commercial was aimed only at the hard core basketball show off crowd. The sprinkling of real people in the ad looked like they were in desperate fear, not admiration, of the celebrity sports guys.

I own stock so I'll most likely buy a pair...if they fit. I hope they come in 4E widths!!!
David21009

Memphis, TN

#2 Feb 5, 2008
I don't know who that commercial was directed at; it was bizarre and militaristic. Like something out of a Mad Max movie. I kept waiting for Ray Lewis to start shouting about "Thunderdome" or something. For all the hype and buildup, that was definitely not what was expected - and not in a good way. "You are the new prototypes?" Lighten up, man - we get it, the gear is serious and it's a great product, but that was just weird.
Andrew Hoyt

Ireland

#3 Feb 5, 2008
"A little bit of fascist imagery" ?

I just watched this ad again and listened to the words that the crazy Simian is yelling. I cannot believe there aren't any news articles talking about how terrifying this ad was to behold.

Shame on everyone involved.
Lizzie

Baltimore, MD

#4 Feb 5, 2008
Shoes? It was about shoes? I missed that entirely.

And I think it was a mistake to go with a 60-second spot. After about the first 30 seconds, I was ready for the next ad and kind of tuned out when that didn't happen. Which is maybe why I missed the shoes.
Jeff

Baltimore, MD

#5 Feb 5, 2008
This commercial was actually a clever remake. The original was shot in the 1930s by Leni Riefenstahl and was called "Triumph of the Will."
aristotle15

Willimantic, CT

#6 Feb 5, 2008
I myself thought the ad was great. the commercial targeted the same crowd it did in previous commercials, stop being such babies, it was great and so far all the people i know loved it.
Under This

Montgomery Village, MD

#8 Feb 5, 2008
Under Armour=Pretentious overpriced crap made for pretentious overpaid "athletes".
Christina

Washington, DC

#10 Feb 5, 2008
It got people talking...everyone here who just complained about this ad got someone who may not have seen it to go look.
fkterp

Miami, FL

#11 Feb 5, 2008
NEW BALANCE MAKES A 4E SHOE
only three wrote:
I didn't feel UA was talking to me. A 40-ish year old white guy who buys two pairs of $75 "sneakers" a year to work out and play ball in.
I hope my disappointment in the commercial just means I'm not in the target market. I felt like the commercial was aimed only at the hard core basketball show off crowd. The sprinkling of real people in the ad looked like they were in desperate fear, not admiration, of the celebrity sports guys.
I own stock so I'll most likely buy a pair...if they fit. I hope they come in 4E widths!!!
kaneforgov

United States

#12 Feb 5, 2008
Under This wrote:
Under Armour=Pretentious overpriced crap made for pretentious overpaid "athletes".
Actually it's an excellent product. I'm totally sold on the fabric technology after wearing it for workouts. It does exactly what they claim as opposed to wearing cotton. I've yet to try the shoes.

I have a lot of respect for Kevin Plank and UA. They created a new product to fill a consumer need in a mature market. That's almost unheard of in retail today.

Having said that, the Super Bowl ad was weak.
Scott

Evansville, IN

#13 Feb 5, 2008
I think it got low marks because it doesn't appeal to everyone. I think if you ask people who who play sports or go to the gym, I think the majority like the ad. Like myself.

The main idea of the commercial is that these athletes who buy and use under armor shoes are "going to take over the world". I don't know how that can be compared to actual fascism. They're athletes with nice shoes. If anything they'd be taking over the court/field.
Steve

Harrisburg, PA

#14 Feb 5, 2008
Some people just don't have enough to do in life. Imagine spending your life as a "media critic" or wasting time thinking about and criticizing commercials. What a hoot. Talk about wasted time. Who gives a rat's patootie about a commercial. Advertising was developed originally for 2 reasons: make people aware of a product; convince them of its quality. Now we are critiquing them as an art form. Look at some real art folks.
Super Bowl Sunday has become a farce. Commercials, the junk food chip and cheese dip industry, all day analysis of everything from players' shoelaces to their personal lives - what silliness. Football has become a sideline. You had to really try to see football between the commercials. Talk about soft, no wonder the Middle East looks at us with scorn.
Philip

Smyrna, DE

#15 Feb 5, 2008
The commercial was great. It will definitely reach it's target audience, which is far more important than impressing a bunch of idiot ad critics. It was very clear that the product Under Armour was selling was shoes. They want to create intrigue and hype by not specifically stating what they are selling. All of this seems so obvious that I find it ridiculous that anyone couldn't get it. At the end of the day, the front page of Baltimore Sun is featuring an article about Under Armour, not any of the other companies which aired Super Bowl ads.
only three

Washington, DC

#16 Feb 5, 2008
yeah.. I buy New Balance a lot because of the the 4E thing. I wish other shoe makers, including UA, would make them like that. They last longer and feel better.
PAtoMD

United States

#17 Feb 5, 2008
It seems like if you don't have a silly ad that your ad is criticized. It's almost turned into a comedy show with everyone trying to 'out do' the others with the silliness of their commercial. I enjoy some of the funny commercials, but UA did the right thing in focusing on their product and the targeting the ad to those who are potentially going to purchase their items.
Anita

Baltimore, MD

#18 Feb 5, 2008
I am a 38 year old female and I got the shoe ad. When I saw the shoe the first thing I thought is whose shoes are those then wait a second UA carries shoes now, they are cute might have to look into the them, like the style.
PAtoMD

United States

#19 Feb 5, 2008
Lizzie wrote:
Shoes? It was about shoes? I missed that entirely.
And I think it was a mistake to go with a 60-second spot. After about the first 30 seconds, I was ready for the next ad and kind of tuned out when that didn't happen. Which is maybe why I missed the shoes.

That is the part that disappointed me about the ad. They should have done a better job of focusing on the shoes. It was very easy to come away thinking that they were just emphasizing their clothing.
PAtoMD

United States

#20 Feb 5, 2008
kaneforgov wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it's an excellent product. I'm totally sold on the fabric technology after wearing it for workouts. It does exactly what they claim as opposed to wearing cotton. I've yet to try the shoes.
I have a lot of respect for Kevin Plank and UA. They created a new product to fill a consumer need in a mature market. That's almost unheard of in retail today.
Having said that, the Super Bowl ad was weak.
I am also sold on their product. They do perform exactly how they claim it will.
Lou the Liberal

Baltimore, MD

#21 Feb 5, 2008
Andrew Hoyt wrote:
"A little bit of fascist imagery" ?
I just watched this ad again and listened to the words that the crazy Simian is yelling. I cannot believe there aren't any news articles talking about how terrifying this ad was to behold.
Shame on everyone involved.
The ad was actually MARXIST jackboot imagery. The wussy from Advertising Age was misquoted. However don't fear ,call Prince Charlie for your protection.
Dan in B-more hon

Plymouth, MN

#22 Feb 5, 2008
I think it worked. UA's commercials are a bit strange, edgy, and raw, but I think that's the point. They're not trying to sell athletic apparel to soccer moms and little girls in pink dresses.

And you'll remember that it was a UA commercial.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vernon Davis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kawakami: Time is right for 49ers' York and Baa... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Fart news 2
News Purdy: 49ers headquarters just a big junior hig... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Fart news 2
News San Francisco 49ers: Where did it all go wrong? (Dec '14) Jan '15 Levi Stadium sucks 8
News New York Giants' Larry Donnell Benches Himself ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Flatulence Fred 2
News Baalke, Harbaugh won't tolerate domestic violence (Sep '14) Sep '14 John Harbaugh 2
News Niners' Willis questionable against Texans (Oct '13) May '14 MichaelSam1987 2
News TE Gonzalez named to 14th Pro Bowl (Jan '14) Jan '14 WhoCaresAboutTheP... 1
More from around the web