Mike Singletary is right man at right...

Mike Singletary is right man at right time

There are 28 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 1, 2008, titled Mike Singletary is right man at right time. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

I have no idea whether Mike Singletary 's approach will work in today's NFL . I have no idea whether players will listen to him, tune him out or tape him to a goal post.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RDW

United States

#1 Nov 1, 2008
Singletary has the fire to be a good position coach, but he doesn't have the self control needed to be a head coach at any level. The pants dropping thing was just an example of his limitations. A more intelligent coach with a bigger picture of the NFL, his team, and the city that they play in would have found a better way to motivate his team than using an obvious homosexual demonstration. I would hope that by the time a man reaches a head coaching position in the NFL that he has gained command of the English language to the point to be able to find the right words to inspire his his team.

My son attends New Haven High School in New Haven, Indiana. Earlier this season in the locker room after losing a game the coach told the players "You let them come in here and bend you over in front of all your friends, family, and everyone in town." This coach is an English teacher. I would hope that he could have found something better to say to high school aged boys, a few of which were freshmen and only 13 or 14 years old. I don't even know why he would say this around seniors that are 17 or 18 years old. I don't understand or condone homosexual behavior but I do understand hatred and bigotry and it usually starts with cues we get from people that we look up to like parents and coaches. I just wonder if one or more of these football players goes out some night and beats and drags a homosexual behind their pick-up-truck will this coach be there to own up to his responsibility in their actions?
loopy media

United States

#2 Nov 1, 2008
the N F L is a ruff game keep it that way....let the women do women stuff
Staley

Chicago, IL

#3 Nov 1, 2008
Frankly, Singletary always looked smarter than he was. Must be the glasses.

Anyway, who cares? He's coaching the niners, not the Bears.
bill crown

Lutz, FL

#4 Nov 1, 2008
THIS LION HAS LANDED AND IS IN HIS DEN. I AM SURE THERE WILL BE MANY BONES STREWN IN FRONT OF HIS CAVE OR SUCH, UNTIL THEY KNOW THE LION RULES FOR THEM . GO HUNTER. THE BUILDER
jake

Portland, OR

#5 Nov 1, 2008
Singletary is a moron. Was overrated as a Bear.
Bears Fan

Wheaton, IL

#6 Nov 1, 2008
RDW wrote:
I would hope that by the time a man reaches a head coaching position in the NFL that he has gained command of the English language to the point to be able to find the right words to inspire his his team.
Well said, RDW. There are plenty of reasons to lash out everyday, whether it's at people who cut you off in traffic or the internet provider rep who keeps you on hold for fifteen minutes in a feeble attempt to keep you from canceling your subscription. Spewing out the four-letter words may feel good at the time, but that kind of expression is not always constructive. Unfortunately, lots of Chicago fans associate such expression with winners despite numerous examples to the contrary, e.g. Tony Dungy, Bill Walsh, George Seifert, Joe Torre.

That said, I wish Singletary the best. The reports indicated that he allowed Martz to make the decision that led to the turnover right before halftime in his inaugural game. No one can ask for more than a boss that will give you enough rope to hang yourself.
Scott Plocharczyk

Palos Hills, IL

#7 Nov 1, 2008
Singletary is SO right. I'm tired of players making a five yard catch and waving his arms like he just scored. Teams win championships not individuals. I'd like some of Singeltary's fire in Lovie.
Drew

Chicago, IL

#8 Nov 1, 2008
i agree, love to see a coach demand excellence from his players.
Chicago Expatriate in AK

United States

#9 Nov 1, 2008
As much as I admire the dignity and calm demeanor of Lovie Smith, you treat your players like men when they act like men. You scold them like they are little boys when they act like little boys. If it is possible to drop your pants in a dignified manner, then that is what Mike Singletary did. Singletary embodies class and dignity. He is also a man who knows how to challenge boys to become men. That is not done through coddling. How many of our pro athletes get rich off of talent and potential that is never actualized? Singletary is an overachiever who wanted it more. He wasn't big enough or fast enough - he was man enough. If San Francisco doesn't want him, I'd trade our dignified coach (who I greatly admire) for their dignified coach in a second.
Mac

AOL

#10 Nov 1, 2008
Would be nice to see Mike here in Chicago, throwing some fire into the Bear's. Lovie could learn something from Mike.............
South Sider in Florida

Cantonment, FL

#11 Nov 1, 2008
Couldn't agree more. Way to go Mike. Please keep it up; it gives me hope.
football fan

Chicago, IL

#12 Nov 1, 2008
singletary is calling it how he sees it.
he's been in the trenches. he knows.
so he called out a egotistical player? GOOD! he's played alongside payton and played against sanders. two of the most humble non-showboating HOF players to ever play the game (it was such a treat to watch them play).
that's football.
singletary remembers.
Texas Cubbie

Spring, TX

#13 Nov 1, 2008
Mike Singletary had always been my hero and he showed I didn't make a mistake in choosing him. Too many athletes have swelled their heads too heavy for their shoulders. Way to go, Mike!
Nada Surf

Noblesville, IN

#14 Nov 1, 2008
Singletary always sucked. The '85 team carried him. Now that he's in charge we see what he is all about.
Don

Chicago, IL

#15 Nov 1, 2008
I have met Mike. There are few if any classier or more dignified men on the planet. He expects men to act like men and to give their very best and nothing less. He is not asking for anything more from his players then he would give were he out there. We need more coaches like Mike who will call his spoiled rotten and pampered players to task. WAY TO GO MIKE!!
Excessively Rabid

Springfield, IL

#16 Nov 1, 2008
The article is right on target, although I agree with RDW about the communication technique.

"Singletary always sucked." Get your meds adjusted.
Bottoms up

Las Vegas, NV

#17 Nov 1, 2008
I have yet to see an elite organization that doesn't have as its head, a driven,focused individual who will do whatever it takes to get the best out of its members.Halas,Lombardi,Walsh,L andry,Shular in football got rid of players by the boat load until they found the players that had the intensity,fire and committment to be the best.Some may have been soft-spoken but they were not afraid to use the steel fist in the velvet glove.They set the bar high and dared the players to achieve.I applaud Singletary and his attempts to shake the ennui from this team of highly paid underacheivers.Championships are earned,not given.
Bottoms up

Las Vegas, NV

#18 Nov 1, 2008
RDW wrote:
Singletary has the fire to be a good position coach, but he doesn't have the self control needed to be a head coach at any level. The pants dropping thing was just an example of his limitations. A more intelligent coach with a bigger picture of the NFL, his team, and the city that they play in would have found a better way to motivate his team than using an obvious homosexual demonstration. I would hope that by the time a man reaches a head coaching position in the NFL that he has gained command of the English language to the point to be able to find the right words to inspire his his team.
My son attends New Haven High School in New Haven, Indiana. Earlier this season in the locker room after losing a game the coach told the players "You let them come in here and bend you over in front of all your friends, family, and everyone in town." This coach is an English teacher. I would hope that he could have found something better to say to high school aged boys, a few of which were freshmen and only 13 or 14 years old. I don't even know why he would say this around seniors that are 17 or 18 years old. I don't understand or condone homosexual behavior but I do understand hatred and bigotry and it usually starts with cues we get from people that we look up to like parents and coaches. I just wonder if one or more of these football players goes out some night and beats and drags a homosexual behind their pick-up-truck will this coach be there to own up to his responsibility in their actions?
With all due respect,I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that your son has heard and said much worse language than you think.As to the coachs choice of words and actions.You may only have one son,he has seen hundreds of sons,and gets to know how they think,speak and act.Young teenages don't have much respect for adults anyway.To get their attention you sometimes need to shock them into attention.
flo

Franklin, IN

#19 Nov 1, 2008
fire Lovie Smith hire Singletary..........
rjk

Wheaton, IL

#20 Nov 1, 2008
Ugh. Give me a break. He is making a fool of himself. It's forced, phony.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vernon Davis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News San Francisco 49ers: Where did it all go wrong? (Dec '14) Jan '15 Levi Stadium sucks 8
News New York Giants' Larry Donnell Benches Himself ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Flatulence Fred 2
News Baalke, Harbaugh won't tolerate domestic violence (Sep '14) Sep '14 John Harbaugh 2
News Niners' Willis questionable against Texans (Oct '13) May '14 MichaelSam1987 2
News TE Gonzalez named to 14th Pro Bowl (Jan '14) Jan '14 WhoCaresAboutTheP... 1
News 49ers, Seahawks 'don't like' each other, Vernon... (Dec '13) Jan '14 Richard Sherman R... 16
News Panthers Get 5th Straight Win, Beat 49ers 10-9 (Nov '13) Nov '13 j helms 8
More from around the web