Should the Raiders Consider Moving Te...

Should the Raiders Consider Moving Terrelle Pryor to a Different Position?

There are 14 comments on the BleacherReport story from Jul 6, 2013, titled Should the Raiders Consider Moving Terrelle Pryor to a Different Position?. In it, BleacherReport reports that:

The Oakland Raiders enter the 2013 season without a proven quarterback. Matt Flynn - with two career starts on his resume - is the presumptive starter, and rookie Tyler Wilson is considered his biggest threat for the job, leaving third-year quarterback 't considered starting material by now, he never will be.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BleacherReport.

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

#1 Jul 7, 2013
it would be interesting if pryor wanted to, but he doesn't want to change position. who can blame him? pryor is pretty good after all. i mean, he's made it this far to be an nfl (qb) and had a decently good start. one thing i can say is, he should continue with his dream. problem is, he hasn't gotten the greatest opportunity in the world. hey look, not all (qb's) get an nfl start right away, just ask flynn? terrelle pryor studies hard, works hard, that i know. he's not my type of (qb) i like for our starting team but i do like that type of (qb) style that he has, fits the new era! right now with the (oc's) that we have, terrelle pryor could shine AS A STARTER. i sort of think d allen is not giving him the chance, i don't know, i could be wrong, "i've been wrong before you know?(lol). this article talks of pryor maybe switching to (wr) position. it's a good possibility. they say.(rumors), "they have special packages for pryor". while it may be nice, fine and dandy, pryor is still not the starter "yet". i was thinking, marcus allen became a (rb) after playing (qb) most of his playing career and well,(just a suggestion), i don't know what pryor needs to fit that mold but? i can see, he's already is a good runner! maybe even as a fullback along with reece. it's just pryor seems a lil tall. and getting hit he may need to know how to really hang on to the ball. so maybe not. overall, my suggestion? fight it till the end! and if you don't get the start or end up as #2 backup (qb)? ask to be traded where there may be opportunity.
RAIDERS 2013!!!
RaiderFaith

Raleigh, NC

#2 Jul 7, 2013
Simole answer. If he is good enough to be starter or back up, keep him at qb. If he is being out played by flynn, and Wilson move him or trade him.
Henry Quenin

Inglewood, CA

#3 Jul 7, 2013
How do you suddenly decide to switch to a position you've never played before and do it at the very highest level? A podiatrist doesn't suddenly decide to become a brain surgeon overnight and operate the next day. If Pryor moved to tight end, for example or wide receiver, he'd have to start all over with learning techniques and plays that other players have worked on for years. He got few reps as the third string QB after Leinert and he'd get even fewer as the third string WR or TE. Let him compete at QB or trade him to a team that fits his style of play and at least try to replace the 5th round draft pick next year the Raiders lost getting Flynn. But I'd rather get a real good look at Pryor at QB before considering trading him and give him every chance to see what he can do.
The Autumn Wind

United States

#4 Jul 7, 2013
Henry Quenin wrote:
How do you suddenly decide to switch to a position you've never played before and do it at the very highest level? A podiatrist doesn't suddenly decide to become a brain surgeon overnight and operate the next day. If Pryor moved to tight end, for example or wide receiver, he'd have to start all over with learning techniques and plays that other players have worked on for years. He got few reps as the third string QB after Leinert and he'd get even fewer as the third string WR or TE. Let him compete at QB or trade him to a team that fits his style of play and at least try to replace the 5th round draft pick next year the Raiders lost getting Flynn. But I'd rather get a real good look at Pryor at QB before considering trading him and give him every chance to see what he can do.
Very well thought out. I agree.
The Autumn Wind

United States

#5 Jul 7, 2013
If Byron Leftwich can be a backup for a team,TP shouldn't have a problem staying at QB.
RaiderFaith

Raleigh, NC

#6 Jul 7, 2013
Not a fair comparison, doctors changing specialties to athletes switching positions. That's a little ridiculous.That said there absolutely is a learning curve learning a new position. But moving from qb to te could offer a step in to the learning curve. If you understand the qb position as a receiver it can only help. The other piece to the puzzle is opportunity. If you aren't cutting it as a qb, but the team sees enough athletic ability to give you a chance to play as a te. Why wouldn't you at least try. Better than not playing.
Henry Quenin wrote:
RaiderFaith

Raleigh, NC

#7 Jul 7, 2013
All that said, if he can win the qb or back up. I am all for it.
NJ raider 1

Baltimore, MD

#8 Jul 8, 2013
Nobody knows what Pryor has to offer. He hasn't been really given a chance or a fair shot. From the small sample size of what we got from Pryor, he's shown 2 things, he has something you can not teach, the will of a winner &, he also has some field general issues, as far as making sure he & his WRs are all on the same page. DA wants his QB to do alot at the line of scrimmage &, that's where I think Pryor is having problems but, I think if you have a talent like him, you build the offense around his strengths. Make him comfortable & give him confidence. He's already shown the ability to want to grow &, he's shown maturity by how he's handled the blatant back stabbing from this org. DA says he had a ways to go. How do they expect him to totally grasp the offense when they switch OC every damn year. That said, if it's truly open competition &, Flynn outlays Pryor, it is what it is. The best man won but, trying to thrown him under the bus to a rookie with no NFL experience at all is ridiculous!

Since: Jan 11

Tempe, AZ

#9 Jul 8, 2013
Oh my no please. Guy has shown talent at qb. Let's let him stay there.
RaiderFaith

United States

#10 Jul 8, 2013
How has he not been given a fair shot? Is it came time? He has to prove he is the best option in practice. He hasn't done that. So to say he hasn't had a fair shot is garbage. Had he shown enough to coaches he would habeen the starter going into the season. You could say RM wanted Flynn...but bottom line RM wants to win and if Pryor showed enough worth he wouldn't have named Flynn so quickly. Nothing against Pryor, if he is best option start him. But the bottom line is he hasn't proved that yet.
NJ raider 1 wrote:
Nobody knows what Pryor has to offer. He hasn't been really given a chance or a fair shot. From the small sample size of what we got from Pryor, he's shown 2 things, he has something you can not teach, the will of a winner &, he also has some field general issues, as far as making sure he & his WRs are all on the same page. DA wants his QB to do alot at the line of scrimmage &, that's where I think Pryor is having problems but, I think if you have a talent like him, you build the offense around his strengths. Make him comfortable & give him confidence. He's already shown the ability to want to grow &, he's shown maturity by how he's handled the blatant back stabbing from this org. DA says he had a ways to go. How do they expect him to totally grasp the offense when they switch OC every damn year. That said, if it's truly open competition &, Flynn outlays Pryor, it is what it is. The best man won but, trying to thrown him under the bus to a rookie with no NFL experience at all is ridiculous!
Tim Gay Tebow

Longmont, CO

#11 Jul 8, 2013
Why do people always bag on the Option QB?
Henry Quenin

Inglewood, CA

#12 Jul 8, 2013
This is Pryor's year for a fair shot. So far, he's been treated like the second string QB in OTAs and minicamp and getting plenty of reps. I expect that to continue all through the preseason. Last year Pryor was the third string QB behind Leinert and I've read that he never got to practice with the first team at all. Dennis Allen's decision to start Pryor in week 17 last year was a last minute call and it's questionable whether Pryor got to work much with the Raiders starting receivers if at all. This year looks like it will be different and there will be no doubts or question marks; either he shows something or he doesn't.

“Undertaker Raiders Simona S”

Since: Apr 11

The Blackhole

#13 Jul 8, 2013
That would be interesting to try him in other positions

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

#14 Jul 8, 2013
Tim Gay Tebow wrote:
Why do people always bag on the Option QB?
great (qb's), great style, but, injury waiting to happen!
RAIDERS 2013!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tyler Wilson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Oakland Raiders 2013 Player Evaluations: Matt M... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Zild0405 6
News Raiders sign former Buffalo Bills quarterback T... (Jan '14) Jan '14 The Autumn Wind 6
News State of team, moving fwd in FA and draft (Jan '14) Jan '14 xKINGxDYCEx 1
News Raiders struggle to find impact players in draft (Dec '13) Dec '13 Haleys Commet 2
News Tennessee Titans sign Tyler Wilson off Raiders ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 3
News Allen doesn't see any quit in his players (Nov '13) Nov '13 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 1
News McGloin's strengths are quickness and accuracy (Nov '13) Nov '13 Haleys Commet 2
More from around the web