Chicago Bears coach open to receiver options

If the Bears have ideas of adding a veteran receiver such as Torry Holt or Plaxico Burress , coach Lovie Smith wasn't about to divulge the game plan. Full Story
Football expert

Vernon Hills, IL

#1 Apr 7, 2009
For all that is holy in holy week GET Plax ... he is world class
we cannot loose agame with him and Jay and the rest .... do it for the fans and for Jesus
My 2 Cents

Glencoe, IL

#2 Apr 7, 2009
Football expert wrote:
For all that is holy in holy week GET Plax ... he is world class
we cannot loose agame with him and Jay and the rest .... do it for the fans and for Jesus
Yeah, "Football Expert." Nothing like getting a guy who's going to be suspended for 8 games and then be a polarizing a-hole for the other 8.

Screw Plax. No thanks.
genius007

Phoenix, AZ

#3 Apr 7, 2009
Not only will Burress be suspended for eight games, he might miss most of 2009 due to.....being in prison! Anyone else you want to go get there "Football expert"?
Chad

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Apr 7, 2009
Football Expert...get a clue. Going after Burress makes about as much sense as not pursuing a safety with our first pick in the draft or in Free agency.

At WR we need to be looking for talent and mentors.

Talent - DJ Hackett or Lance Moore. My vote is Hackett because of his size and deceptive speed. His injuries are a big concern. Moore's size is a concern.

Mentors - Either Holt or Harrison. I don't see a problem signing the best route runner since Rice...Harrison. Obviously both guys have age issues, but both would be upgrades.
Go Peanut

Darien, IL

#5 Apr 7, 2009
Charles Tillman continues to be my favorite Chicago Bear. Not only is he a great tackler, great at stripping the football, great at not giving up the big play, great at being physical with recievers at the line of scrimage and pretty good as a cover corner -- he's also a pretty standup guy. Oh, and he has a cool nickname too.
Done

Montgomery, IL

#6 Apr 7, 2009
Why would the Bears need to get a receiver? I thought it was the QB that made the receivers great? Now that they have Cutler, Hester and the rest of the WR's should be instant locks for the Probowl.
End sarcastic rant.

“Let's rock!!”

Since: Oct 07

Aurora, IL

#7 Apr 7, 2009
Done wrote:
Why would the Bears need to get a receiver? I thought it was the QB that made the receivers great? Now that they have Cutler, Hester and the rest of the WR's should be instant locks for the Probowl.
End sarcastic rant.
Hah! I sure hear that!

That's okay, all those Vanderbilt alums will just lift this team right up! I'm hoping that Cutler & Bennett find their old chemistry.

Anybody seen Rex lately, Done? Jeff Garcia got nabbed by the Raiders. Rexie is the last girl at the dance!!
Your Creator

United States

#8 Apr 7, 2009
My 2 Cents wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, "Football Expert." Nothing like getting a guy who's going to be suspended for 8 games and then be a polarizing **** for the other 8.
Screw Plax. No thanks.
x2. One thing that has been refreshing about the Bears in recent years is that there have been few egomaniacs. Just guys out there playing the game, albeit it not always very well.
Bearfanforlife

AOL

#9 Apr 7, 2009
Otis wrote:
<quoted text>
Hah! I sure hear that!
That's okay, all those Vanderbilt alums will just lift this team right up! I'm hoping that Cutler & Bennett find their old chemistry.
Anybody seen Rex lately, Done? Jeff Garcia got nabbed by the Raiders. Rexie is the last girl at the dance!!
Otis, I watched The Superbowl again over the weekend. and I swear if Orton was Q-Backing the Bears, in that game I believe the Bears would've won. Rex was "putrid" in that game. Especially the 4th quarter. That int he threw that the Colts ran back for a TD was so terrible I almost threw my remote at the tv all over again. Honesty compells to also note, Turner should've kept the ball on the ground to Jones as well. But Rex really killed the team in the 4th qtr, with his turnovers.
I'm trying to "expunge" Rex from my memory.
petey

Sun Prairie, WI

#10 Apr 7, 2009
Why doesn't someone ask the Bear coach why all his defensive backs have shoulder injuries? Ask him if his cover 2 defense forces his safeties to make hits in stopping the run game that most defenses use linebackers for. Ask Lovie, go ahead ask him what do you expect to happen when you continually use a defense that relies on the secondary to come up and hit the runniing back head on. Ask why no strong safety can stay on the field with his beloved cover 2. Why are the bears, and any other team dumb enough to use this defense, constantly short of secondary players.

The answer? Lovies cover 2 defense takes secondary players expert in pass coverage, and grinds them up stopping the run. It wastes linebackers by making them play an idiotic single gap, while getting blocked or ridden out of plays and opens the middle to the run game and leaves the safeties on an island where they usually get injured or fail. How did Bob Sanders wind up? Mike Brown? The cover2 defense is fatally flawed and will never work in the NFL. Most teams have dumped this defense and the coaches that run it, they all wind up getting hired by the bears.

Lovie's defense, wastes players, it wastes linebackers by making them irrelevant, and it wastes safeties and corners by making them susceptible to injury. Lovies entire defensive system is doomed before it starts. It would be obsolete on any other team. The only thing Lovie knows, and the only thing he brings to his job coaching the bears, is a defense that is destined to fail. Lovie doesn't know any better, and he will only lead the bears to failure. Now lovie has a franchise qb and he is going to take on the defensive play calling? This is so far out of whack it would be wrenching anywhere but on the bears.

Get Shanahan before someone else does. Make lovie defensive backs coach, like his friend and mentor Marinelli. These guys can't succeed in the NFL as head coaches, stop delaying the inevitable and get a real head coach for the bears.
Razor Head

Dekalb, IL

#11 Apr 8, 2009
Hey petey...You are preaching to the choir as far as I am concerned.
I TOTALLY agree with your entire post. Your criticisms of the 'Can't Cover-2' defense is absolutely right. And I especially agree with the last bit...

"Get Shanahan before someone else does. Make Lovie defensive backs coach, like his friend and mentor Marinelli. These guys can't succeed in the NFL as head coaches, stop delaying the inevitable and get a real head coach for the bears. "

YES, YES, YES And Again I Say TO You, YES!
BP Zion IL

Montgomery, IL

#12 Apr 8, 2009
Chad, Moore and Hackett are RFA's... If you bring one of them in you wind up loosing that 2'nd round draft pick as compensation.

The Bears are better off waiting, drafting a FS with the 49'th pick, try and package a 5'th and a 6'th rounder for another late 2'nd or early 3'rd rounder and finish up taking a WR and a D-lineman. Can get (3) positions of need addressed within the first 99 picks in the draft that way.

After that they can use the 4'th, the other 5'th, and both 7'th rounders for depth at OG,OT,LB,CB ect....

After the draft teams will start to shed players for cap reasons or other and Angelo can look to add a veteran WR then...

Go Bears !!

“Let's rock!!”

Aurora, IL

#13 Apr 17, 2009
Bearfanforlife wrote:
<quoted text>
Otis, I watched The Superbowl again over the weekend. and I swear if Orton was Q-Backing the Bears, in that game I believe the Bears would've won. Rex was "putrid" in that game. Especially the 4th quarter. That int he threw that the Colts ran back for a TD was so terrible I almost threw my remote at the tv all over again. Honesty compells to also note, Turner should've kept the ball on the ground to Jones as well. But Rex really killed the team in the 4th qtr, with his turnovers.
I'm trying to "expunge" Rex from my memory.
Hah, thanks BFFL! Agreed...Orton MIGHT turn out to be a really good fit for the Broncos, if he can stay healthy for the entire season. I'm keeping one eye on the Broncs!

Regarding Grossman's INT in XLI....the whole family was watching that one, and when he precisely threw that famous pick, my 90 year old mom yelled "WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HIM, IS HE BLIND???" Goddam it was funny as hell!

Rex will land somewhere for league minimum, never to be heard from again. GO BEARS!!
Bill

United States

#14 Apr 17, 2009
petey wrote:
Why doesn't someone ask the Bear coach why all his defensive backs have shoulder injuries? Ask him if his cover 2 defense forces his safeties to make hits in stopping the run game that most defenses use linebackers for. Ask Lovie, go ahead ask him what do you expect to happen when you continually use a defense that relies on the secondary to come up and hit the runniing back head on. Ask why no strong safety can stay on the field with his beloved cover 2. Why are the bears, and any other team dumb enough to use this defense, constantly short of secondary players.

The answer? Lovies cover 2 defense takes secondary players expert in pass coverage, and grinds them up stopping the run. It wastes linebackers by making them play an idiotic single gap, while getting blocked or ridden out of plays and opens the middle to the run game and leaves the safeties on an island where they usually get injured or fail. How did Bob Sanders wind up? Mike Brown? The cover2 defense is fatally flawed and will never work in the NFL. Most teams have dumped this defense and the coaches that run it, they all wind up getting hired by the bears.

Lovie's defense, wastes players, it wastes linebackers by making them irrelevant, and it wastes safeties and corners by making them susceptible to injury. Lovies entire defensive system is doomed before it starts. It would be obsolete on any other team. The only thing Lovie knows, and the only thing he brings to his job coaching the bears, is a defense that is destined to fail. Lovie doesn't know any better, and he will only lead the bears to failure. Now lovie has a franchise qb and he is going to take on the defensive play calling? This is so far out of whack it would be wrenching anywhere but on the bears.

Get Shanahan before someone else does. Make lovie defensive backs coach, like his friend and mentor Marinelli. These guys can't succeed in the NFL as head coaches, stop delaying the inevitable and get a real head coach for the bears.

Damn good analysis, petey !

Of course, we all know that Lovie won't change...... He's way too bull-headed.

Let's hope that Cutler and the other new guys will make the Bears a team that will allow us to forget the numb-nuts coaching scheme.

However .......... If I see ONE MORE CB playing 10 yards off the receiver AND giving up the inside ..... I'm gonna put a shoe thru the TV !!!

“Let's rock!!”

Aurora, IL

#15 Apr 17, 2009
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn good analysis, petey !
Of course, we all know that Lovie won't change...... He's way too bull-headed.
Let's hope that Cutler and the other new guys will make the Bears a team that will allow us to forget the numb-nuts coaching scheme.
However .......... If I see ONE MORE CB playing 10 yards off the receiver AND giving up the inside ..... I'm gonna put a shoe thru the TV !!!
Hah! I agree, Petey done good! I don't know which scheme does more damage to Bears, Lovie's damn Cover 2 or Wannie's famously punishing practices
(reputed as the cause of many injuries in those days).

Same-same I guess....Lovie DOES get trashed by some (Ditka) for running a whimpy, soft camp, and I've seen some of that.

Should be an "interesting" season, Bill!! Fuggit, GO BEARS!!(and Sox and Hawks and Bulls and what the hell, Cubs!!)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumaine McBride Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former TSU star Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie sig... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Jerry Jones 1
New York Giants: What You Need to Know Heading ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 steve 1
Chicago Bears To Sign Rod Hood (Sep '09) Sep '09 Beers 2
The 10 Most Important Bears in 2009 - #10 (Aug '09) Aug '09 hank 1
Danieal Manning cramps up but says he will be fine (Jul '09) Aug '09 Senator Larry Craig 6
Bears defensive end Henry Melton hopes to retur... (Aug '09) Aug '09 BooThisMan 2
Chicago Bears Kevin Payne ready to go (May '09) May '09 greg from chicago 28
More from around the web