Farewell, 54

Farewell, 54

There are 63 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 14, 2008, titled Farewell, 54. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

A day noted for romance brought a bittersweet breakup for Zach Thomas , who parted ways with his one-and-only NFL franchise on Valentine's Day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Matt

Athens, OH

#1 Feb 14, 2008
Zach and Jason could end up being the only two Patriots I may ever feel comfortable rooting for. As a Buckeye fan, I can even admit I don't like Vrable a whole lot. Especially considering that bullshit maneuver he pulled pushing Joe Thomas into Derek Anderson's knees... after the play was called dead.

Thanks for your awesome ethic and game play! You and Taylor have been the constant faces of this franchise, so if Jason leaves, I'll be facing some loss of identity as a fan. I'll definitely root for Miami, always, but it'll won't be the same with you playing elsewhere! Best of luck. I wore my alt jersey of yours around my campus today.

I know you won't read any of this but it's cathartic for a day I didn't imagine happening like this in 1996. I guess I really thought we'd return to AFC prominence... maybe a new dynasty. Maybe this time.
Chris

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2 Feb 14, 2008
just like Welker, the MVP they let go. Doll finns suck
Chris

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3 Feb 14, 2008
Welker scored all the points in 2006 for the Doll Fins.
fin2win08

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Feb 15, 2008
Chris wrote:
Welker scored all the points in 2006 for the Doll Fins.
are you sure? you should check you facts. More than likely, Thomas's departure was a salary cap move and will be under contract again soon.
Germany speaking

Köln, Germany

#5 Feb 15, 2008
IMPORTANT NEWS:

EVERY REAL DOLFAN should wear No.54 to every home game next season - EVERYBODY !!!!!!

Spread the news an get this tribute going !!!!!

THANKS
ANOTHERMIZERABLE SEASON

Canada

#6 Feb 15, 2008
what f...g joke,we should have kept him,at least another year..369..his the anchor of this team..specially when you are rebuilding!
Karl from the Keys

Miami, FL

#7 Feb 15, 2008
I will never forget the game about 5-8 years ago whereby the Colts had a first and goal at about the Dolphins 1 or 2 yard line. They gave the ball to Edgerin James to run it in.
Zach went "mano-to-mano" with James on 3 (or maybe 4) of their attempts - getting his first ever "stinger" in the process - and stopped the Colts from getting a touchdown!!
Zach, I love ya, you're a class act and a true warrior!! Good luck, and you'll be missed. See you @ your "Ring of Honor" induction at Dolphin Stadium soon, I hope.
Phil

United States

#8 Feb 15, 2008
Germany speaking wrote:
IMPORTANT NEWS:
EVERY REAL DOLFAN should wear No.54 to every home game next season - EVERYBODY !!!!!!
THANKS
What are you on ?
finfan

Miami, FL

#9 Feb 15, 2008
Germany speaking wrote:
IMPORTANT NEWS:
THANKS
That sounds like a great idea
zonk-39

Lakewood, NJ

#10 Feb 15, 2008
Thanks Zach for all you have done for the Miami Dolphins.......wish ya all the best always...
vinny shin blind

Lithia, FL

#11 Feb 15, 2008
Phil wrote:
<quoted text> What are you on ?
I would explain it to you but why waste my time. You're probably a Pasties fan anyhow.
Leesburg Florida

Winter Park, FL

#12 Feb 15, 2008
Zach Thomas is what a football player should be. In a time where players celebrate the easiest of tackles, take plays off, and cry about the millions of dollars they make not being enough, Zach came to play every down, did his job, then got up and did it again. The league needs more players like him.
Now, football is a business and to think that Zach would never be cut or traded is simply stupid. Players tend to play longer than they should, often ignoring health risks. The release of Zach is not a catastropy, it simply good business. The catastropy would be seeing Zach missing out on holding the trophy, the way Marino missed out. Two athelets among the best ever at their positions. My hope is that if Zach wishes to risk his health for another season, it is with the 2009 Superbowl Champions, whom ever it may be.
Janet Reno

Jupiter, FL

#13 Feb 15, 2008
Glad to see the bum go.
The Wolf in NC

United States

#14 Feb 15, 2008
Classy, Classy guy. I'll always be a fan, even if he heads up north. Might as well trade Taylor away as well. This team is going to absolutely SUCK next year.
buckeys wharf

Pompano Beach, FL

#15 Feb 15, 2008
Always a class act. Never turned a kid or fan away from an autograph. A really down to earth guy, a regular joe. Ill miss ya Zach and ill be wearing my 54 loud and proud.

“Everything changes.”

Since: Nov 07

Hollywood, FL

#16 Feb 15, 2008
Although I understand the move and can't blame the dolphins, I don't like it.

Zach will be sorely missed.

Best of luck to him whereever he ends up (hopefully not the patriots!)
Jeff M

Lawrenceville, GA

#17 Feb 15, 2008

O.k up until this point I have agreed with everything Parcells has done,but this move of letting Zach go really chaps my butt.I don't wanna hear any nonsense about salary cap reasons. This warrior deserved one more season to bid farewell to Dolphin nation.When you rebuild you need a mix of veterans and youth,who better then Zach to pass the torch for you.I'm sick to my stomach and anyone who has watched this tackling machine knows the phins will never be able to replace him.Bill you suck!!!!
Cowboyfan

Stuart, FL

#18 Feb 15, 2008
Chris wrote:
just like Welker, the MVP they let go. Doll finns suck
Trent Green was your MVP?
Jeff M

Lawrenceville, GA

#19 Feb 15, 2008

Zach your a legend and I wish you all the best,now go on to New England with Wes Welker come back next year and stick it to us just like Wes did last year.I would love to see nothing more then watch you on t.v hoisting the super bowl trophy after all your dedication and hard work.I believe the Super bowl next year is in Miami what poetic justice it would be to see him in HIS HOUSE holding the coveted prize..Good luck my man..BIll once again you suck!!!!!
Cowboyfan

Stuart, FL

#20 Feb 15, 2008
Germany speaking wrote:
IMPORTANT NEWS:
THANKS
Every dolphin fan should GO to EVERY home game!

Texas Stadium is already soldout for the whole season!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trent Green Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Insider: Rebuilding begins with some growin... (Nov '07) Aug '12 Management 5
News NFL Playoffs Mark End of Kurt Warner's Career |... (Jan '10) Jan '10 nena 2
News Quarterback Kurt Warner decides to retire from ... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Rita 1
News Warner brings end to stirring 12-year NFL career (Jan '10) Jan '10 ClassAct 2
News Rams Game Sunday Will Be Televised On FOX 2 (Nov '09) Nov '09 bil 2
News Rams Sell Out Of Home Opener Vs. Green Bay (Sep '09) Sep '09 40for60 7
News Rams quarterback Trent Green retires: report (Jun '09) Jun '09 bulldog3 1
More from around the web