Big East Football: Pitt Sitting Atop ...

Big East Football: Pitt Sitting Atop Conference

There are 18 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Oct 14, 2008, titled Big East Football: Pitt Sitting Atop Conference. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Here comes another opportunity for No. 23 Pittsburgh to show that it belongs in the Top 25.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Marcus - MD

Derwood, MD

#1 Oct 14, 2008
Over the last five years, 19 UConn players have made NFL rosters. And Butler, Brown and Lutrus are on their way to being first-day picks. Off topic, but who cares?

So there you go, UConn haters, take time away from your busy day to grace us with your spineless drivel. I'm sure we'll all run out to Sports Authority and buy UNC or Texas or Penn State caps after you've made your points on this board.
FREDDYKOOL

Palm Coast, FL

#2 Oct 14, 2008
GO GET 'EM HUSKIES!!!!
UCONN NATION LOVES YOU!!!!!!!
WE ARE PENN STATE

Providence, RI

#3 Oct 14, 2008
Marcus - MD wrote:
Over the last five years, 19 UConn players have made NFL rosters. And Butler, Brown and Lutrus are on their way to being first-day picks. Off topic, but who cares?
Wish I could make this up.......
"Lions quarterback Dan Orlovsky, running out of the back of the end zone, and then running along the wrong side of the back of the end zone, and then continuing to run along the wrong side of the back of the end zone until … well, until he feels like it, OK?"
PENN STATE #3 Uconn Afterthought
Marcus - MD

Derwood, MD

#4 Oct 14, 2008
Hey fair-weather Nittany, wish I could make THIS up...

From Penn State to State Penn: Penn State's nine best-ever arrests....

1. E.Z. "Robin Hood" Smith (2005)

One night, for some reason, Smith and three others (tackle Andrew Richardson, defensive tackle Scott Paxson, and guard Tyler Reed) decided to do their best Robin Hood impressions by firing off graphite arrows into a dorm room wall during January.

E.Z. Smith as Robin Hood? Don’t think so. Although the other three were exonerated, Smith was excluded. Oh, and in 2003, Smith had two drinking citations too.

2. Seemingly the entire Penn State football team: "What did you say to my girl?" (2007)

Some guy makes a comment about your girlfriend. Suddenly, you invite a load of your football friends around for a fight with a guy who dissed your girlfriend. In 2008, Anthony Scirrotto was made one of PSU’s captains for 2008. He said he felt like a “new guy.” Thank God you didn’t go to jail, Anthony—someone else could have made you feel like a “new guy.”

3. Bobby "Mike TV" Engram / Bobby "Best Buy" Sayles (1992)

On their way to find a teammate, the two guys think it might be a bright idea to go and steal a TV. Good effort!

Engram was suspended for the 1992 season but is still a Penn State hero—especially as his career with the Seattle Seahawks has gone amazingly. It could have been so different if it wasn’t for Sayles having the idea instead of Bobby E.

4. Navarro Bowman "Let's get it started!" / Chris Baker (2008)

If you're going to punch an out of town frat boy's head in, do it somewhere quiet. The HUB (Penn State's student union) is not exactly the best place to do it. Baker was expelled from the team.

5. Dan "Bart Simpson" Connor (2005)

Connor pulls off his best Bart Simpson impression by doing some prank phone calls. Unlike the TV world, who find it funny, the victims didn't, and Connor was arrested for a criminal mischief phone summary charge. Giggle.

6. Joe Paterno himself (2008)

My favourite moment in sports. JoePa gets in a prang—or nearly does—with a woman. She's rude to him. He's rude back. Her husband yells out: "That's my wife you're talking to." He yells back: "That's your problem." Joe, many a husband will use your comments from now on... It was technically an arrest, but it still made my day....

7. Richard "Mastercard" Cheek (2004)

As a walk-on, you like to make an impression. Can I suggest there are other ways of making an impression than getting arrested for using a stolen credit card?

8. Michael "Tonya Harding" Robinson / Ed "Michelle Kwan" Johnson (2004)

Penn State's future star quarterback and linebacker Ed Johnson (among others) manage to get in a fight in an ice rink. They are all arrested. Robinson needed 24 stitches. That must have been one hell of a fight—Robinson's a big guy. All charges were dropped, by the way, and Robinson led PSU to a Big Ten title.

And listen to this: It got so bad that Pitt's bloggers were dissing Nittany Nation.

9. Many others, for getting hammered in public or in the privacy of their own or someone else's home (2002-8)
Jim Johnson

United States

#5 Oct 14, 2008
WE ARE PENN STATE wrote:
<quoted text>
Wish I could make this up.......
"Lions quarterback Dan Orlovsky, running out of the back of the end zone, and then running along the wrong side of the back of the end zone, and then continuing to run along the wrong side of the back of the end zone until … well, until he feels like it, OK?"
PENN STATE #3 Uconn Afterthought
You rip on Danny O, who was a 5th round pick in his first ever start and no one confuses UCONN as NFL U yet.
My question for you would be is how many Penn State player have been useless NFL players and awful 1st round picks and have set franchises back years? Let's see!

Blair Thomas-2nd overall pick-NY Jets

Ki-Jana Carter-1st overall pick-C'Nati

Lavar Arrington-2nd overall pick-Wash

Kyle Brady-9th overall pick-NY Jets

Courtney Brown-1st overall pick-Cleve

OJ MCDuffie-1st Round pick-Miami

Curtis Enis-5th overall pick-Chicago

Tamba Hali-1st Round pick-Chiefs

Jimmy Kennedy-1st Round pick-Rams

DJ Dozier-1st Round Pick

That's 10 awful Penn State players that I can easily think of in the first round the only good one in the last 25 years is Larry Johnson and maybe Kerry Collins.

That's a pretty crappy track record for a team that's supposedly so much better!!
Marcus - MD

Derwood, MD

#6 Oct 14, 2008
WE ARE PENN STATE

Providence, RI

#7 Oct 14, 2008
Nittany's in the NFL Hall of Fame:
Jack Ham,Franco Harris, Mike Michalske, Lenny Moore, Mike Munchak
Heisman Trophy- John Cappelletti
-The Nittany Lions have compiled a record of 26-12-2 (0.675), the highest winning percentage of any Division I FBS team in bowls, including a 14-5-1 (0.725) record in the so-called "major" bowls (Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, and Cotton)
2 national championships
7 undefeated seasons
Starting in 2011 there is a open spot on the schedule maybe UCONN can play. But it would have to be in Happy Valley since the Penn States band would fill the Rent.

UCONNGRAD

United States

#8 Oct 14, 2008
WE ARE PENN STATE wrote:
Nittany's in the NFL Hall of Fame:
Jack Ham,Franco Harris, Mike Michalske, Lenny Moore, Mike Munchak
Heisman Trophy- John Cappelletti
-The Nittany Lions have compiled a record of 26-12-2 (0.675), the highest winning percentage of any Division I FBS team in bowls, including a 14-5-1 (0.725) record in the so-called "major" bowls (Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, and Cotton)
2 national championships
7 undefeated seasons
Starting in 2011 there is a open spot on the schedule maybe UCONN can play. But it would have to be in Happy Valley since the Penn States band would fill the Rent.
Even though your positions lack any logic or develop any conclusions
(read that as "foolish"), and you were put in your place in very humorous form by the previous posters, I will say "thank you" for mentioning UCONN in the same category as PSU when it comes to college football. We are not at your level yet. It may take years to get there.
But we are pleased with the progress made by a program very new to Div 1.
Most UCONN fans do not have the "National Championship or Bust" attitude. The simple minded "haters" on this board rely on that approach to provoke a reaction. That approach is as mindless as the posters who employ it.
Sally Dogs

Burlington, VT

#9 Oct 14, 2008
If UCONN doesn't win this Saturday it is going to be a long year.
GallaherDeGennar oDidio

Gaithersburg, MD

#10 Oct 14, 2008
UCONNGRAD wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though your positions lack any logic or develop any conclusions
(read that as "foolish"), and you were put in your place in very humorous form by the previous posters, I will say "thank you" for mentioning UCONN in the same category as PSU when it comes to college football. We are not at your level yet. It may take years to get there.
But we are pleased with the progress made by a program very new to Div 1.
Most UCONN fans do not have the "National Championship or Bust" attitude. The simple minded "haters" on this board rely on that approach to provoke a reaction. That approach is as mindless as the posters who employ it.
You can't say it any more clear, or more sensible, than that.
To add: I still can't believe OUR UConn football team will have Notre Dame and Tennessee on the schedule in the coming years. It's funny, I'll find happiness, or sadness, watching UConn face Rutgers this weekend. I love football, and like the bball programs, football is growing and growing. And the proud fans go along for the (bumpy) ride.
And Fair-Weather PSU fan (they come out every 5-7 years) and Sally Dogs will have nothing to say about it. We're fans. They hate us for it, and our pride grows even more! UConn haters, and a PSU fan is on the Courant's board? Wow - We've ARRIVED! And who's to say in a few years, when UConn is up, and Penn State goes 9-3, they'll meet in a Bowl. And Fair-Weather will think about his little rants, and it will cause him to hope State Penn wins not because of his love of Nittany, but he'll be thinking about little ol' CT and the fans he traded barbs with - ON THE CONNECTICUT MESSAGE BOARD.
ANOTHER UCONN FIRST DOWN!
Sally Dogs

Burlington, VT

#11 Oct 14, 2008
Do you have a relative on any UCONN athletic team? Is Edsell your Uncle? To compare Penn State fans and UCONN fans is comical at best. UCONN fans come late and leave early to EVERY game. Have you seen a Penn State game on TV? Notice all of the fans there at the BEGINNING of the game? UCONN games are loaded with drunken white trash adults and young college students (who could care less about the game and just there to tailgate). So, Marcus pipe down and grab a glove and get on the field.
GallaherDeGennaroDidio wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't say it any more clear, or more sensible, than that.
To add: I still can't believe OUR UConn football team will have Notre Dame and Tennessee on the schedule in the coming years. It's funny, I'll find happiness, or sadness, watching UConn face Rutgers this weekend. I love football, and like the bball programs, football is growing and growing. And the proud fans go along for the (bumpy) ride.
And Fair-Weather PSU fan (they come out every 5-7 years) and Sally Dogs will have nothing to say about it. We're fans. They hate us for it, and our pride grows even more! UConn haters, and a PSU fan is on the Courant's board? Wow - We've ARRIVED! And who's to say in a few years, when UConn is up, and Penn State goes 9-3, they'll meet in a Bowl. And Fair-Weather will think about his little rants, and it will cause him to hope State Penn wins not because of his love of Nittany, but he'll be thinking about little ol' CT and the fans he traded barbs with - ON THE CONNECTICUT MESSAGE BOARD.
ANOTHER UCONN FIRST DOWN!
Mark

Liberty Hill, TX

#12 Oct 15, 2008
Jim Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
You rip on Danny O, who was a 5th round pick in his first ever start and no one confuses UCONN as NFL U yet.
My question for you would be is how many Penn State player have been useless NFL players and awful 1st round picks and have set franchises back years? Let's see!
Blair Thomas-2nd overall pick-NY Jets
Ki-Jana Carter-1st overall pick-C'Nati
Lavar Arrington-2nd overall pick-Wash
Kyle Brady-9th overall pick-NY Jets
Courtney Brown-1st overall pick-Cleve
OJ MCDuffie-1st Round pick-Miami
Curtis Enis-5th overall pick-Chicago
Tamba Hali-1st Round pick-Chiefs
Jimmy Kennedy-1st Round pick-Rams
DJ Dozier-1st Round Pick
That's 10 awful Penn State players that I can easily think of in the first round the only good one in the last 25 years is Larry Johnson and maybe Kerry Collins.
That's a pretty crappy track record for a team that's supposedly so much better!!
You had me at Ki-Jana Carter. The Big 10+1 is down big this year, Ohio State and Michigan are way down from recent years, especially the Wolverines. Which means it’s a good opportunity for schools like Wisconsin or Penn State to step in and steal a championship. But the BCS would be better served with a one loss SEC team playing a one loss USC or a one loss Big 12 team in the championship game over an undefeated Penn State if (a big if) that happens.
keith

Newington, CT

#13 Oct 15, 2008
Sally Dogs wrote:
If UCONN doesn't win this Saturday it is going to be a long year.
It has already been a long year for you. But we won't talk about how bad you suck.
keith

Newington, CT

#14 Oct 15, 2008
Sally Dogs wrote:
Do you have a relative on any UCONN athletic team? Is Edsell your Uncle? To compare Penn State fans and UCONN fans is comical at best. UCONN fans come late and leave early to EVERY game. Have you seen a Penn State game on TV? Notice all of the fans there at the BEGINNING of the game? UCONN games are loaded with drunken white trash adults and young college students (who could care less about the game and just there to tailgate). So, Marcus pipe down and grab a glove and get on the field.
<quoted text>
Sally is your life that miserable that you need to comment on UConn football fans as "white trash". In other words you are saying that 45,000 Connecticut residents are white trash and you're not.

You're a creep. If you get hit by a bus no one will care.
Marcus - MD

Derwood, MD

#16 Oct 15, 2008
Sally Dogs wrote:
<quoted text>
Fraternity brother of mine is from Johnstown, PA. I was fortunate enough to go up with him years back vs. Purdue. Awesome time. Party/tailgate speaking (I was wifeless at the time!), State College was better than my Notre Dame trip last year. But the history in South Bend was just surreal, not sure you can match that anywhere in the country.
UCONN in the Valley

AOL

#17 Oct 15, 2008
Funny how none of the nitwit "haters" mention UCONN's "easy schedule" this week. Hummmmm....could it be that Virginia just won their second game in a row over a team ranked in the Top 25 this season, or that Baylor won a Big 12 Conf. game, or that Louisville just won a nice interconference game, or maybe it was that UNC just beat ND???
Funny.
Sally Dogs

Burlington, VT

#18 Oct 15, 2008
If you get hit by a bus, not one Uconn player will care about you. Keep sticking up for them.
keith wrote:
<quoted text>
Sally is your life that miserable that you need to comment on UConn football fans as "white trash". In other words you are saying that 45,000 Connecticut residents are white trash and you're not.
You're a creep. If you get hit by a bus no one will care.
Mark

Hutto, TX

#19 Oct 15, 2008
Sally Dogs wrote:
If you get hit by a bus, not one Uconn player will care about you. Keep sticking up for them.
<quoted text>
Did you actually read this before you posted it? It is so stupid on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tony Pike Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Where do Panthers turn at QB? (Jan '11) Mar '11 Anonymous 10
News Panthers now must focus on offense (Jan '11) Jan '11 Shane Smith 1
News Journeyman St. Pierre to start at QB for Panthers (Nov '10) Nov '10 achlop 1
News Panthers QB Clausen has concussion; Panthers upset (Nov '10) Nov '10 triple6vamp 1
News 2010 Cincinnati Football Predictions (Jul '10) Jul '10 Dave Harrison 1
News Irish eyes focused on Crist's development (Jun '10) Jun '10 BigDan 1
News Ex-Mizzou football player Saunders arrested (Apr '10) Apr '10 KC Beck 1
More from around the web