One loss could dim UC's bowl outlook | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 20 comments on the Dec 2, 2009, Columbus Dispatch story titled One loss could dim UC's bowl outlook | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Brian Kelly is glib and opinionated, willing to talk about almost any subject . But ask the Cincinnati coach about his team's bowl picture if the Bearcats lose Saturday at Pittsburgh in a game that will decide the Big East champion, and Kelly professes ignorance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ad-Rock

Columbus, OH

#1 Dec 2, 2009
Pittsburgh is a tough team. I hope UC beats them. UC may have to run and stop Pitt from running to have some success. Also, UC's defensive backs better be ready to cover, because the Pitt QB is way better than Juice Williams, who missed many open receivers last week. Even if UC loses, they should end up in the Orange or Sugar Bowl because of their resume, but we will see. At worse, they should be in the gator Bowl.
cfbfan

Charleston, WV

#2 Dec 2, 2009
maybe UC "should" be in another BCS game or the gator bowl with a loss but they won't be. Make no mistake UC loses saturday and they are charlotte bound.
Brandon B

United States

#3 Dec 2, 2009
I don't want to hear about how well the fair weather fans of UC travel. just 3 yrs ago they were GIVING away football tickets with the purchase of basketball tickets. Noone cared. Now, all of a sudden their fans are everywhere. You people are no better than Patriot fans.
bremenboy

Richwood, OH

#4 Dec 2, 2009
The Big Ten/11 should add UC as the 12th team in the league. An instant rivalry with OSU in football and basketball would form. Brian Kelly could then stay at UC and keep the ball rolling. A conference championship game could be added to extend the season, more national exposure, short gap before the bowl games, ECT. Of course, this makes to much sense so it will not happen.
Go Bucks

Crossville, TN

#5 Dec 2, 2009
Mildly surprised that some lamebrain didn't use this
topic to attack Tressel
DC Buckeye

Washington, DC

#7 Dec 2, 2009
Go Bucks, don't want to disappoint you. But the lamebrains are the ones who keep defending his incompetence and mediocrity.

Go Buckeyes! Fire Tressel now!
WestCoastDon

Costa Mesa, CA

#8 Dec 2, 2009
DC Buckeye--

If OSU fires Jim Tressel, who do you think would want the job that would be better than him?

Bob Stoops? Urban Meyer? Nick Saban? Pete Carroll? Charlie Weis? Brian Kelly is ND bound for sure. I can't see us getting anyone that would do a better job than Coach Tressel. We'll certainly miss him when he retires in 2012.
DC Buckeye

Washington, DC

#9 Dec 2, 2009
WestCoastDon, 2012 can't come soon enough for those of us who believe Tressel has misused the talent he has. I don't know who the right coach would be. But once Tressel is gone I am sure someone will emerge. But none of them is going to show their hand now if they are currently with a big-time program.

But what I do know is that Tressel's record of "achievement" is trending in the wrong direction. He peaked with the Fiesta Bowl win over ND -- in the 2005 season. Since then Tressel has lost 3 bowl games in a row (and I fear a 4th is coming), was humiliated by the SEC twice on the national stage, humiliated by USC in 2008, outcoached by USC in 2009, etc. The Big 10 has been a joke the past couple years so all those Big 10 championships don't really mean too much -- unless of course the end-all-be-all for Buckeyes is the Big 10. Boring.

There are 2 sides to the ball -- it's not just about the defense. But under Tressel you would never know that. And yet he's the one running the offense. The irony. Run on first down for 2 yards, run on 2nd down for 1 yard, face endless third and long situations that usually lead to 4th down, punt, kick a field goal, mismanage the clock -- it's all frustrating and boring boring boring. That may be enough to win the Big 10 but it doesn't cut it against the SEC, PAC 10, and Big 12.

And of the names you mentioned, good grief let's hope we go nowhere near any Stoops. Bob Stoops is worse than Tressel. He's the only coach who actually makes Tressel look somewhat decent on the national stage. And Stoops would likely have his own "family, friends, and cronies" coaching staff like Tressel now has. Let's get a real coach and some real assistant coaches.

Fire Tressel Now! Go Buckeyes!
steve

Dublin, OH

#10 Dec 2, 2009
I'm pulling for UC but let's be honest: if they don't take care ofg business against Pitt they deserve to be relegated to the Tidy Bowl.

Praise it all you want but the Big East is not a power conference and Cincy's non conference schedule is nothing to crow about. Yeah, they beat Oregon State but that accomplishment only holds up if the Beavers upset Oregon and win the Pac 10 title. Shoot out wins over UConn and Illinois don't bode well for Cincy's defense.

Is Cicny better than OSU? Of course, but OSU took care of the light work that is the Big 10 conference. They earned their BCS bowl by virtue of the predetermined contract.

Nobody in the Big East is getting an at large bid. If UC loses to Pitt they will surrender any claim to a great season.
steve

Dublin, OH

#11 Dec 2, 2009
bremenboy wrote:
The Big Ten/11 should add UC as the 12th team in the league. An instant rivalry with OSU in football and basketball would form. Brian Kelly could then stay at UC and keep the ball rolling. A conference championship game could be added to extend the season, more national exposure, short gap before the bowl games, ECT. Of course, this makes to much sense so it will not happen.
The Big 10 will not add UC. First of all, the Big 10 already claims the Cincy TV market as its own. Adding UC will not generate additional TV revenue. UC has also dodged a committment to building better facilities to the detriment of running Brian Kelly out of town. If UC had made better progress in building a stadium and some practice facilities for the football team, Brian Kelly would probably be inclined to stay. As such, he has not minced words about his intentions. He's unhappy with UC and will likely bolt if ND offers him a contract with any security. So you have UC's inability to keep coaches. There's no continuity. Why invite UC to join the Big 10 when there's a very distinct possibility that they will end up being as competitive as Syracuse in two years?

If the Big 10 adds anybody you need to think in terms of market share. Pitt? No way. Rutgers? Fat Chance. Boise State? Why, to lock in the 150,000 people who watch them onm ESPN 360 every saturday? Give me a break.

The Big 10 would love Notre Dame because it has national appeal, travels a large bowl contingent and draws TV viewers, but until NBC balks at extending the exclusive TV deal or the BCS stops giving ND a special BCS exemption ND will stay independent.

The 12th addition to the Big 10 will likely be Missouri. They bring a significant media market to the table as well as a fairly competitive program that won't step on any toes during recruiting season.

Another option is Maryland, but Maryland probably wouldn't want to relocate its basketball team and the Big 10 would insist on the full package. If Maryland was interested in making that concession landing that DC market would be a real coup for the B10, provided Maryland could stay respectable.
savit

Youngstown, OH

#12 Dec 2, 2009
DC Buckeye wrote:
WestCoastDon, 2012 can't come soon enough for those of us who believe Tressel has misused the talent he has. I don't know who the right coach would be. But once Tressel is gone I am sure someone will emerge. But none of them is going to show their hand now if they are currently with a big-time program.
But what I do know is that Tressel's record of "achievement" is trending in the wrong direction. He peaked with the Fiesta Bowl win over ND -- in the 2005 season. Since then Tressel has lost 3 bowl games in a row (and I fear a 4th is coming), was humiliated by the SEC twice on the national stage, humiliated by USC in 2008, outcoached by USC in 2009, etc. The Big 10 has been a joke the past couple years so all those Big 10 championships don't really mean too much -- unless of course the end-all-be-all for Buckeyes is the Big 10. Boring.

There are 2 sides to the ball -- it's not just about the defense. But under Tressel you would never know that. And yet he's the one running the offense. The irony. Run on first down for 2 yards, run on 2nd down for 1 yard, face endless third and long situations that usually lead to 4th down, punt, kick a field goal, mismanage the clock -- it's all frustrating and boring boring boring. That may be enough to win the Big 10 but it doesn't cut it against the SEC, PAC 10, and Big 12.
And of the names you mentioned, good grief let's hope we go nowhere near any Stoops. Bob Stoops is worse than Tressel. He's the only coach who actually makes Tressel look somewhat decent on the national stage. And Stoops would likely have his own "family, friends, and cronies" coaching staff like Tressel now has. Let's get a real coach and some real assistant coaches.
The question was who DC. You seem to have written the resume for the perfect head coach. Who is it? You must have someone in mid as you are so sure someone will emerge. Where does this perfect head coach come from? Give us some examples of who you would like to see as the new head coach and we must make sure it is some one who will not bore you. Sometimes you post sensible/readable comments, but sometimes not so.

I am all in if you can guarantee your new, and fun coach will improve on finishing in the top ten every year, playing in a BCS bowl every year with winning record, winning the Big Ten every year, and winning national championships. Of course all this is a minimum requirement as we already have a coach doing this much.

I look forward to your critical response.
osu

AOL

#13 Dec 2, 2009
hey dcbuckeye you right on.those national championships were pouring in before tressel.dick!
Mr Breeze

Dayton, OH

#14 Dec 2, 2009
Go Bucks wrote:
Mildly surprised that some lamebrain didn't use this
topic to attack Tressel
Its early. Just wait and see.
Mr Breeze

Dayton, OH

#15 Dec 2, 2009
DC Buckeye wrote:
A bigger concern may be his declining ability to bring in top talent. And even worse, an inability to DEVELOP the talent he brings in. We have seen a massive decline in top NFL talent in recent years. Now we win the conference with barley a mention of all-conference players... Then again, it could be debated this year that, with the lack of top players, he in fact coached them up. If ANYONE ELSE won the conference with ONE first team all-conference player, that coach would be getting a raise, not to mention job offers all over the country. Including Notre Dame. Believe me I feel some of your thoughts. Ask yourself this. Do you think Michigan would be willing to get rid of Rich-Rod to hire Tressel? I'm thinking they would jump at the chance, as would all but about 8-10 FBS schools. If you look at the body of work in his career and the calibur of man he is, its a given..... That said, an O coordinater, especially with NFL experience,(remember Walt Harris) would be grand!!!
ima idiott

Houston, TX

#16 Dec 3, 2009
Ping - the golf club that beat Tiger Woods!!!!
savit

Youngstown, OH

#17 Dec 3, 2009
Mr Breeze wrote:
<quoted text>A bigger concern may be his declining ability to bring in top talent. And even worse, an inability to DEVELOP the talent he brings in. We have seen a massive decline in top NFL talent in recent years. Now we win the conference with barley a mention of all-conference players... Then again, it could be debated this year that, with the lack of top players, he in fact coached them up. If ANYONE ELSE won the conference with ONE first team all-conference player, that coach would be getting a raise, not to mention job offers all over the country. Including Notre Dame. Believe me I feel some of your thoughts. Ask yourself this. Do you think Michigan would be willing to get rid of Rich-Rod to hire Tressel? I'm thinking they would jump at the chance, as would all but about 8-10 FBS schools. If you look at the body of work in his career and the calibur of man he is, its a given..... That said, an O coordinater, especially with NFL experience,(remember Walt Harris) would be grand!!!
Does your masive decline in NFL talent include Laurinaitis, 12th in NFL in tackles as a rookie, Jenkins starting CB for the best team in football, Hartline? All rookie starers. Here is an excerpt from a USA today article

Ohio produces Buckeyes, pros

Ohio State averaged 8.5 wins and 4.9 draft picks per year in the 13 seasons before Jim Tressel became head coach in 2001.

Since Tressel took over, the Buckeyes have averaged 10.4 wins and 7.8 draft picks a year. Recruiting is key, and while Tressel says "I don't know if we are doing anything magical," he concedes his staff might devote more time evaluating recruits than some schools.

Sorry but I just don't see tat massive decline.
DC Buckeye

Washington, DC

#18 Dec 3, 2009
savit, finishing in the top 10 every year can ring hollow when you get humiliated in 2 national championship games. Sort of shows you were a pretender. In 2006, the Big 10 looked like "the" conference -- until it got exposed by USC (drubbing Michigan in the Rose) and Florida (well, we all know what happened there). So maybe you can take comfort that OSU won the Big 10 that year, but for me and a lot of people that era of good feeling lasted for 7 weeks between the OSU-Michigan game and the OSU-Florida game, and then died altogether.

It's nice to play in a BSC game almost every year, but "what have you done for me lately" comes to my mind. And the lately is the past 3 years -- 0-3. And that's significant because it's part of the reason OSU (along with the USC blowout last year) is seen as overrated.

And you can take all the joy you want in those Big 10 championships, but I don't. Winning Big 10 titles in a weak conference is not that exciting -- unless you think OSU football begins and ends with the Big 10. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

You mentioned national championships (plural). I only count 1. Apparently, you're counting the ones from Youngstown State. That's comparing apples and oranges. I'd like Tressel to get more national championships. But I don't see it happening at OSU. Perhaps he should go back to Youngstown State?

And to answer your question, I like Urban Meyer. He's a native Buckeye. I like his enthusiasm. Sure he's no angel. But Tebow seems to like him. And as we all know, Tebow walks on water.

Go Buckeyes! Fire Tressel now!
DC Buckeye

Washington, DC

#19 Dec 3, 2009
oops. sorry for the double post.
Reese

Atlanta, GA

#20 Dec 4, 2009
bremenboy wrote:
Cincy used to be part of the Big Ten.... a long, long time ago. I say we add three more teams (The Big 14). Cincy, Pitt, and Notre Dame. I am sure that ND would snub us yet again....But that would be a competitive conference. Two divisions (East and West) and we could finally get a championship game.

Since: Oct 09

Charlotte, NC

#21 Dec 4, 2009
"Though the Big East is often maligned, the league won 80 percent of its nonconference games (32-8). Only the SEC had a better nonleague record."

Only the SEC plays a weaker nonleague schedule!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tony Pike Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Where do Panthers turn at QB? (Jan '11) Mar '11 Anonymous 10
News Panthers now must focus on offense (Jan '11) Jan '11 Shane Smith 1
News Journeyman St. Pierre to start at QB for Panthers (Nov '10) Nov '10 achlop 1
News Panthers QB Clausen has concussion; Panthers upset (Nov '10) Nov '10 triple6vamp 1
News 2010 Cincinnati Football Predictions (Jul '10) Jul '10 Dave Harrison 1
News Irish eyes focused on Crist's development (Jun '10) Jun '10 BigDan 1
News Ex-Mizzou football player Saunders arrested (Apr '10) Apr '10 KC Beck 1
More from around the web