Mike Preston's report card

Mike Preston's report card

There are 28 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 7, 2008, titled Mike Preston's report card. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Baltimore Sun columnist grades the Ravens on their 17-10 win over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Sun sets in 2010

Towson, MD

#1 Sep 7, 2008
preston cant grade....qb should be a- ...wow.....better tahn anything T Smith could do and I was a T Smith fan

Shepherdstown, WV

#2 Sep 7, 2008
Wide receivers got a B? What game was HE watching. A C at best. Also, Flacco with a b-? That's laughable. For his first time out he was outstanding. He deserved an A+
What the

Silver Spring, MD

#3 Sep 7, 2008
C'Mon Mike.. Not ONE mention of the dropped passes?
Flacco should have easily craked 200 yds in the air had his receivers held onto the ball.
Mike From Reisterstown

Owings Mills, MD

#4 Sep 7, 2008
Good grades from the teacher. I'd give Flacco a B+ though.

B+ is the grade for his performance as an NFL starting quarterback. As a rookie, he was an A+. This guy has has the "right stuff" and he will only get better.

Tell your boy "my man Troy" to take his time getting healthy because he's gonna be carrying a clipboard for a while. The "controversy" is OVER!

Nice job by the coaches!(which you conveniently neglected)

Muskegon, MI

#5 Sep 7, 2008
ray lewis should have had 6 tackles and a forced fumble but apparently my eyes are failing me and it wasn't 52 who striped that ball out of Chris Perry's arms.....

Owings Mills, MD

#6 Sep 7, 2008
New Category:

Tight Ends: D+ While Heap had some nice blocks down field, Heap has grown Allegator arms, fumbled on reception and dropped a sure touchdown pass.

Baltimore, MD

#7 Sep 7, 2008
I think "Footsteps" Flacco deserved a higher grade than a B-. He put the ball right on the money and the receivers dropped alot of the catchable balls.
Pete I

Elkridge, MD

#8 Sep 7, 2008
I agree with the comments so far. Flacco deserved a better grade than the B-. Give him an B+ or an A- for his first start. No fumbles, no interceptions. Rice and McClain were great, but I would still give them a B for Rice's fumble and allowing Cincy to get within a touchdown in the 4th quarter.

Pittsboro, NC

#9 Sep 7, 2008
That McClain guy runs like a young Jamal Lewis, tackling those two big backs would just wear down a defense, add Rice and the other guy and that is a hell of a running attack. I like McClain, he was impressive.

Hollywood, FL

#10 Sep 7, 2008
Preston, didn't you pick the Ravens to lose? We won't be listening to any of your picks for the rest of the season

East Hampton, NY

#11 Sep 7, 2008
I thought Mike's grades were good.

If Flacco had turned the ball over twice, it would have been understandable. He played very well considering the circumstances.

Just think...this time last year he was looking over game film on Towson, James Madison, and Richmond. Wow. By the end of the year, how good will he be?

However, I'm fully prepared for a few clunker games by him, esp when he plays better defenses.

I don't know how any Ravens fan could look at his performance today and not be excited for the future.
Joshua Radice

Annapolis, MD

#12 Sep 7, 2008
Given that the receivers dropped 5 balls that hit them in their hands, they don't even deserve the grade they got.

Given that Flacco hit them (i.e. did his job) his grade is lower than it should be and he deserves better. He should have had his first touchdown pass. With no fumbles, no interceptions, and some really sharp audibles, how can it be only a B? Simple, because the author thinks that this is baseball and that stats are the only thing that matters.
Tony Dent

Baltimore, MD

#13 Sep 7, 2008
Todd Heap was terrible!!! This is what happens to talent when the man is so fragile that he spends most of his career in the training room.

Baltimore, MD

#14 Sep 7, 2008
And how about offering a grade for the officiating? Two highly questionable calls on Chris McAllister near the end of the first half that led to Cincy's only offensive score of the game, the maybe call on Figurs' return that took away the TD, the overturning of the Bengals pass fumble recovered by Samari Rolle and returned for six, the missed mauling of Todd Heap in the second half as opposed to the questionable calls on McAllister ... once again, we seem to have to beat the refs as well as the opponent. So how about a grade for the officials? C- in my book.

Washington, DC

#15 Sep 7, 2008
Let's Go Flacco, and he did! For his first start as a rookie I would have given him an A-. I have no doubt had Boller or maybe even Smith started this game its a different story, quite possibly a loss. Also, the OL and entire defense was superb today. The only negative was Todd Heap who was horrible.

Goleta, CA

#16 Sep 7, 2008
Great Game guys!!!......Ray Rice you need to concentrate on holing on to that ball.....Matty...missed a chip shot 47 yarder.....Toddy....the wife is still shiny but c'mon man-up!!!!....Great Coaching "O"&"D "

Shady Side, MD

#17 Sep 7, 2008
Agreed. Except I would give the rookie Qb a solid B+. A rushing TD Michael Vick could be proud of, a dropped TD pass and the poise Boller is still looking for deserve the +.

Baltimore, MD

#18 Sep 7, 2008
B- for the QB - really?! That, I guess proves it for me - you don't really understand the QB position. Flacco had 5 paases dropped, one was a sure touchdown and another one Ray Rice could have taken it yards. Flacco looked off 2 - 3 receivers at times, and then immediately knew where the checkdown 4th receiver was. He audibled on the play where he ran for a touchdown because the original play would not have worked against the Bengal's blitz. He threw away the ball when nothing was there. He stepped up in the pocket to buy time, and was comfortable enough to look to the oppiste field to find his receiver. He made a block on a play, which helped spring it. He showed that he had touch with a touch pass over an outstretched defenser, and he hit a sideline slant that was right on the money. Actually, Flacco had two bad passes the entire game.

C'mom, Preston, just admit it, you know why we graded him so harsh, and it has nothing to do with his performance.

Joppa, MD

#19 Sep 7, 2008
OK, Mike, we get it. He's not YOUR quarterback choice...
Next time, consider the circumstances, the play of the receivers, the fact that Troy won't start because you keep whining for it -- and grade the quarterback who performed on the field.

College Park, MD

#20 Sep 7, 2008
The receivers definitely did not deserve a B. Heap dropped a couple balls and fumbled, Mason dropped a ball as well. I don't think the runningbacks deserved that high of a grade either because of all of their drops and Ray Rice's inability to keep his feet. All that being said, Flacco deserved much better than a B- and if the linebackers didn't earn an A+ today I don't think they ever will.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Heap Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Snap judgments: Turnover can be good (May '13) May '13 south philly 1
News 4 mins. ago - NFL to start suspending players f... (Oct '10) Jan '12 Better Judgement 13
News Baltimore Sun picks: Ravens vs. Titans (Oct '08) Nov '11 Steel 72
News Fans Rejoice as NFL Lockout Ends (Jul '11) Jul '11 Marques Carter 2
News Ravens lead Steelers 21-7 at halftime (Jan '11) Feb '11 Hair 31
News AFC Divisional Recap: Ravens Eat Crow (Jan '11) Jan '11 Annoyed 1
News Steelers 31, Ravens 24: Roethlisberger's big pa... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jonathan S 1
More from around the web