Blown chance

Blown chance

There are 48 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jul 16, 2008, titled Blown chance. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

If the Ravens want to sign defensive end-linebacker Terrell Suggs to a new contract, they'll have to wait until the end of the season to do so.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
pajoyo

Hughesville, MD

#1 Jul 16, 2008
This guy is not essential for the Ravens to win. He is a very good player but not great. The Ravens did not pay to keep Adalius Thomas who is twice the player that Suggs is. Let Suggs go; the money would be better spent elsewhere.
Bob S

Augusta, ME

#2 Jul 16, 2008
Go ahead and sit out training camp, Suggs. They'll be some young, hungry player to take your place. Your posturing and phony loyalty is transparent. If you don't want to play football for obscene amounts of money, there's a McDonalds on North Ave. that needs a person to work nights and weekends.
Rick

Chesapeake Beach, MD

#3 Jul 16, 2008
We need him in the fold. Get it done Ozzie. We need to be able to focus on the "O" and not worry about gaping holes in the "D"
SevernDave

Fort George G Meade, MD

#4 Jul 16, 2008
Don't ya just love today's athletes!! No character, no loyalty, no concern for THE TEAM, it's all just me, me, me!! What "lesson" is Sugg$ gonna teach the RAVENS brass by sitting out training camp? He's gonna show them that he's a small, greedy individual. But mostly, he's gonna miss time that he needs to get into football shape and start bonding with teammates. But hey, I'm sure he can come in here cold and match his mighty sack total of FIVE from last year!! Wonder what advice Ed Reed and Ray Ray will give him? Hey Ozzie, don't break the bank for this fool!!
Skinsfan

Bethpage, NY

#5 Jul 16, 2008
"At this point, I don't know," Suggs said five months ago. "I love my teammates, and I want to be there for them. Before I make a decision, I'll talk to a lot of people. I'll confide in Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, see what they think I should do

LOL!

It's still the inmates running the asylum...

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#6 Jul 16, 2008
pajoyo wrote:
This guy is not essential for the Ravens to win. He is a very good player but not great. The Ravens did not pay to keep Adalius Thomas who is twice the player that Suggs is. Let Suggs go; the money would be better spent elsewhere.
While I agree, I think a "tag/trade" option in 2009 might be the best way to minimize the damage, and at least get a first rounder instead of the 3rd rounder we got for AD if/when a deal can't be struck.
Anti Gary

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#7 Jul 16, 2008
Ozzie better sign this guy. He is a beast. First Newsome doesn't want to see Brian the Bum Billick go. Then he signs Kelly Gregg to a nice size contract. Gives overrated and I do mean way overrated Todd Heap an extension. Suggs is a impact player. If the Ravens don't sign this guy, then they need to say goodbye to Newsome as well. I thought he should have left on the same plane as Billick anyway. The ghosts of Phil Savage are really showing up now!!
Wes

Mechanicsburg, PA

#8 Jul 16, 2008
This guy needs to go. I love Suggs as a player but when I see this type of GREED it completely turns me off. This guy isn't about the TEAM. I hope one of the rookies does a great job in training camp and Suggs gets to sit.
Tom

Rehoboth Beach, DE

#9 Jul 16, 2008
I think this works in the Ravens favor. Let's see how well Suggs does this year before the Ravens commit to a longterm, high $ contract.
Jim from Dundalk

Baltimore, MD

#10 Jul 16, 2008
It's a good executive decision , Suggs had a down year and we need to see if he can turn it around , he still has trouble recognizing the run off certain sets , if his brain was as good as his athleticism he would be a terror on the field , he is a nice player , but the Ravens are doing the right thing.......
shoreraven

Magnolia, DE

#11 Jul 16, 2008
I agree this is a good management decision. Suggs was a non factor last year. He has problems in pass coverage and recognizing offensive schemes. He was nuetralized often last year. If he has another year like last year send him where he wants to go Arizona.
Ron

Saint Albans, WV

#12 Jul 16, 2008
Take a look around. People are losing their jobs,healthcare benifits, homes and business's.The economy is on the brink of recession. Food prices are sky rocketing and fuel costs are in choas.I really don't want to here another ungrateful athelete whine about not making enough millions to match his ego.
hmm

United States

#13 Jul 16, 2008
The ravens intentionally dragged their feet so they could see if Suggs could produce again like he did 2 years ago. Now they don;t have to guarantee him more cash without proven results this year. They don't care if he sits out of training camp. He knows the schemes and won't come into the season THAT out of shape...he's only been 'off' for a few months...

Since: Aug 07

Hampstead, MD

#14 Jul 16, 2008
Ron wrote:
Take a look around. People are losing their jobs,healthcare benifits, homes and business's.The economy is on the brink of recession. Food prices are sky rocketing and fuel costs are in choas.I really don't want to here another ungrateful athelete whine about not making enough millions to match his ego.
I assume that you were born yesterday, because anyone who was born more than a week ago and still doesn't understand that athletes make lots of money either hasn't been paying attention since, say, 1976 or are not really sports fans.
Josh

Royal Oak, MI

#15 Jul 16, 2008
Skinsfan wrote:
"At this point, I don't know," Suggs said five months ago. "I love my teammates, and I want to be there for them. Before I make a decision, I'll talk to a lot of people. I'll confide in Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, see what they think I should do
LOL!
It's still the inmates running the asylum...
HAHA yea you're very clever, too bad you deadskins are gonna have another losing season. And how is Ed an inmate? because last time i checked he never got arrested you dumbass.
Kevin

New York, NY

#16 Jul 16, 2008
i wish i could do my job as poorly as moriarity and still keep my job. between him and newsome-what have we signed one draft pick? i say screw suggs - try to trade him to oakland for their franchised corner. he is about the best there is at corner. this would give us much needed depth at corner and we have lots of young linebackers (ooops he a defensive end isnt he?) ready to step in for mr. individual
GHT

Portland, OR

#17 Jul 16, 2008
so 5 months ago he was gonna consult with Ray and Ed? How'd that go? He still didn't sign the franchise tag. Seems to me if the NFLPA is going to have this franchising option, that if a player is franchised, it is mandatory that he follows through, signs, shuts his fat trap and plays then get paid later. A lot of times these athletes are so twisted by their agents. At 25, Suggs is barely old enough to even want to think straight, let alone do it.
BMH

Albany, NY

#18 Jul 16, 2008
What would be the logic of holding out if the team CAN'T sign him until after the season?

That said, I'm fairly sure the 13th and 14th amendments would prohibit mandatory signing of contracts.
GHT

Portland, OR

#19 Jul 16, 2008
BMH wrote:
What would be the logic of holding out if the team CAN'T sign him until after the season?
That said, I'm fairly sure the 13th and 14th amendments would prohibit mandatory signing of contracts.
I agree, but this whole franchise tag doesn't seem to work for either side. The players hate it and the team fears they will hold out if tagged. Seems there should be a more logical way.
GHT

Portland, OR

#20 Jul 16, 2008
Kevin wrote:
i wish i could do my job as poorly as moriarity and still keep my job. between him and newsome-what have we signed one draft pick? i say screw suggs - try to trade him to oakland for their franchised corner. he is about the best there is at corner. this would give us much needed depth at corner and we have lots of young linebackers (ooops he a defensive end isnt he?) ready to step in for mr. individual
have you talked to your boss lately? Your wish may have come true LOL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Heap Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Snap judgments: Turnover can be good (May '13) May '13 south philly 1
News 4 mins. ago - NFL to start suspending players f... (Oct '10) Jan '12 Better Judgement 13
News Baltimore Sun picks: Ravens vs. Titans (Oct '08) Nov '11 Steel 72
News Fans Rejoice as NFL Lockout Ends (Jul '11) Jul '11 Marques Carter 2
News Ravens lead Steelers 21-7 at halftime (Jan '11) Feb '11 Hair 31
News AFC Divisional Recap: Ravens Eat Crow (Jan '11) Jan '11 Annoyed 1
News Steelers 31, Ravens 24: Roethlisberger's big pa... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jonathan S 1
More from around the web